watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Leeds

Started by ex-Pat, September 13, 2020, 05:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

No way we beat Leeds next week, they looked strong and unrelenting not giving up, we looked useless after the second goal, hope I'm wrong,doubt it though....

Moltobueno

Mince n Tatties

We'll bring them back down to earth.
0-2.

rebel

If we play the same 'predictable' football, no variation or tempo in our game, then we will not win.

Sting of the North

Yes, just like there was no way we could beat Brentford.

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 13, 2020, 08:00:31 AM

To be honest we were pants last season, only two performances of any merit, Millwall and Brentford in the Play Off Final. We have approached this season in the 'mind set'

Sting of the North

Quote from: rebel on September 13, 2020, 08:09:12 AM

To be honest we were pants last season, only two performances of any merit, Millwall and Brentford in the Play Off Final. We have approached this season in the 'mind set'

I personally think that you are so wrong it is not even funny, so I guess you are being serious. To each his own I guess.

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 13, 2020, 08:12:21 AM

I personally think that you are so wrong it is not even funny, so I guess you are being serious. To each his own I guess.

I'm being very serious. As I've  said before we got promoted from a average Championship. 

colinwhite

A ridiculous comment. We are all disappointed with yesterdays result,but if you want to be taken seriously you need to be a bit more rounded in your viewpoints.

General

Just watched their sky highlights. They scored two good goals, but you could put that down as opportunistic and out of necessity, they also capitalised off a van dijk mistake for their third (the don't happen often) and conceded not one but two penalties and ultimately lost having never been ahead.

It was 1-0, 1-1 , 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3

They did look sharper in the tooth than we did, and they did go up as champions, but to say it's that clearcut is simply untrue.

They never looked in control ultimately as they never had the upper hand and Liverpool always found the ability to score one extra goal (due to leeds poor defending!)

One game is not enough to judge any team.

I had us to lose 2-0, 3-0 against arsenal. The fact we didn't play a single summer signing and are still in the market bodes well.

What are looking bodes well - Tony Khan stubbornness aside - is that we know the areas we need to improve on.

Had we are looking LCB in of quality Ream wouldn't have played and fluffed it for their first goal.

Mitro isn't fully fit.

Anguissa and lemina I expect to be more dominant in midfield

Anna and tete are simply better at this level in the defensive side of things.

There are clear areas we can improve on as an existing squad and in transfer window. Not all doom and gloom where I'm sitting.

Whitestone

Many posters said we wouldn't beat Leeds last December on the back of three defeats. Well we did and I'm sure the manager will have a plan to out fox Bielsa next week.

Andy S

We might well lose to Leeds next week but I'm sure we will give it a go. People on here were saying we will get well beaten against Arsenal and we were. The fact is there are three leagues rolled into one in the prem we all know that but we won't know anything for 5 or 6 games and everything on her3 is speculative

rebel

Quote from: colinwhite on September 13, 2020, 08:33:47 AM

A ridiculous comment. We are all disappointed with yesterdays result,but if you want to be taken seriously you need to be a bit more rounded in your viewpoints.

Where is the 'ridiculous comment', you just need to look at some of the important stats from last year, we had the most touches in the opposition half, but were 4th from bottom in the number of chances created (I got that from commentary, but I didn't need to be told that), that is how ridiculous my comment / post is.

rebel

Quote from: General on September 13, 2020, 08:51:13 AM
Just watched their sky highlights. They scored two good goals, but capitalised off a van dijk mistake (the don't happen often) and conceded not one but two penalties and ultimately lost.

They did look sharper in the tooth than we did, and they did go up as champions, but to say it's that clearcut is simply untrue.

There was a energy, drive and purpose about their play.

rebel

Quote from: Andy S on September 13, 2020, 08:59:12 AM
We might well lose to Leeds next week but I'm sure we will give it a go. People on here were saying we will get well beaten against Arsenal and we were. The fact is there are three leagues rolled into one in the prem we all know that but we won't know anything for 5 or 6 games and everything on her3 is speculative

I don't think we were well beaten, it was self inflicted, credit after the first goal went in, we kept going, but more self inflicted errors. They contolled the tempo of the game.

General

Quote from: rebel on September 13, 2020, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: General on September 13, 2020, 08:51:13 AM
Just watched their sky highlights. They scored two good goals, but capitalised off a van dijk mistake (the don't happen often) and conceded not one but two penalties and ultimately lost.

There was a energy, drive and purpose about their play.

First season back after 16 years away, at anfield and having won the league I expected there to be. On top of that they did score a goal. Had we had mitro on and scored one of our chances in the first half, our display which saw us have 47% possession could easily have given us the wind in our sails to get a second too

As we all know there are fine lines in this league.

colinwhite

Only two
Quote from: rebel on September 13, 2020, 09:08:02 AM

Only two performances of any merit???? I rest my case

Where is the 'ridiculous comment', you just need to look at some of the important stats from last year, we had the most touches in the opposition half, but were 4th from bottom in the number of chances created (I got that from commentary, but I didn't need to be told that), that is how ridiculous my comment / post is.

toshes mate

It's kind of expected that the doom mongers would be out in force after the 12.30pm kick off curse struck again yesterday.  It also seems certain the Ream mistake curse can only get worse with time no matter what he does, because none of his detractors give him any credit when he does something well which is usually several times a game.  Odoi is another long term sufferer of supporters with false memory syndrome a club to which we all belong whether we wish it or not and yet the lad gives his all every game and always plays with a spirit I find uplifting, win, lose or draw.

It's a tough ask for any team to not allow anxiety to get the better of them for ninety minutes no matter who the opposition is.   Last season we had scares against teams much less illustrious than Arsenal.   We often panicked against players in an altogether different class to the PL.   Fortunately over the whole season our better moments just about held sway over the stuff we'd rather forget.

The problem yesterday was that our forward momentum was not good enough to cause our opponents enough problems and that can always be put down to players having insufficient confidence in their own ability which can stifle anyone and everyone.   When you cannot get and keep the ball you are in trouble.  When you stop getting the basics right then you are simply on a hiding to nothing.  Unfortunately for us that is where we went wrong yesterday.    It was shades of that FA Cup game last winter all over again.

Next week we kick-off at 3pm against a Leeds side who presented an altogether much better side of themselves playing against Liverpool yesterday.  Both teams are locked on zero points but, performance wise, they are certainly ahead of us, as they were all last season.  However,  at Elland Road during lockdown we produced a first half period when we played some of the best stuff seen from a Parker team.  I have a feeling that old friend or foe –inconsistency – turning up once again and demonstrating what a two faced game football is.   Perhaps after a few games together in the PL this side will find that fate is, to a large extent, in its own hands and actually forget the anxiety.  It may take until November for a pattern to emerge and settle down but that leaves plenty of time to get to a safe position in the table.   We just don't need to do anything stupid.  We just need to stop selling ourselves short when things don't go according to wishes.

rebel

Quote from: colinwhite on September 13, 2020, 09:25:43 AM
Only two
Quote from: rebel on September 13, 2020, 09:08:02 AM

Only two performances of any merit???? I rest my case

'You've got no case to rest', the facts 'you just need to look at some of the important stats from last year, we had the most touches in the opposition half, but were 4th from bottom in the number of chances created', in the Prem this gets 'highlighted' even more.

filham

My mind hasn't yet tuned into thinking of a win over Leeds it is still locked on how we are going to score our first goal of the season.