watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ola Aina. where does he fit in?

Started by 3-lions, September 15, 2020, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3-lions

With Tete here. A out and out right back no less.
For me unless we are hit with injuries to Tete and others like Odoi.
Ola has I think been brought in to play in Wide midfield/ Attacking Mid. Replacing Stefan and competition to Onomah.

People who claim he is here to be a CB or full back should note whilst he can and has played there.
His natural position is wide and more attacking. Plus I've read much to suggest 'defending' is a weakness. Although he does seem combative. But is that combative like Stefan. As in willing to put his foot in, but that is not the same as the art of defending that a Defender in the backline requires.

fulhamben

He's meant to have some genuine pace doesn't he, so yes play him left or right of the front 3. Let's see what he's got. It's not like we are strong in those positions anyway, so nothing to lose.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Tabby

I don't understand why this is such a common opinion on here, he has hardly played higher up the pitch than wingback.

fulhamben

Quote from: Tabby on September 15, 2020, 11:01:10 AM
I don't understand why this is such a common opinion on here, he has hardly played higher up the pitch than wingback.
there isn't much difference between wing back to winger is there really, infact lots of teams do use attacker wingers as wing backs, and if you look at Ainas interview video, he says on it that he likes to attack but can do the dirty work.

Tabby

Quote from: fulhamben on September 15, 2020, 11:20:09 AM
there isn't much difference between wing back to winger is there really, infact lots of teams do use attacker wingers as wing backs, and if you look at Ainas interview video, he says on it that he likes to attack but can do the dirty work.
Antonee Robinson also said that he is really attacking and wants to whip in lots of crosses and score goals and that he can also do defense. I don't take that to mean that he was signed to be a winger.

Almost every modern fullback says the same thing.

fulhamben

Quote from: Tabby on September 15, 2020, 11:28:01 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 15, 2020, 11:20:09 AM
Antonee Robinson also said that he is really attacking and wants to whip in lots of crosses and score goals and that he can also do defense. I don't take that to mean that he was signed to be a winger.

Almost every modern fullback says the same thing.
but you yourself said he has played wing back, which is basically a winger that defends. There are lots of examples of full backs playing further up, and Bryan himself did it last season. We are not blessed with attacking options of quality, so let's see what he's got.

Tabby

Quote from: fulhamben on September 15, 2020, 11:31:58 AM

but you yourself said he has played wing back, which is basically a winger that defends. There are lots of examples of full backs playing further up, and Bryan himself did it last season. We are not blessed with attacking options of quality, so let's see what he's got.

But Aina hasn't played as a winger. He has played as a fullback and a wingback. Antonee Robinson also played as a wingback when at Bolton. I still only see people expecting Aina to have been signed as an attacking midfielder, but not Robinson.

fulhamben

Quote from: Tabby on September 15, 2020, 11:42:34 AM

But Aina hasn't played as a winger. He has played as a fullback and a wingback. Antonee Robinson also played as a wingback when at Bolton. I still only see people expecting Aina to have been signed as an attacking midfielder, but not Robinson.
i don't know anyone who thinks he signed as an attacking midfielder, I just want to see him play there as our options are limited. Especially against Ipswich. Just want to see him play

Tabby

Quote from: fulhamben on September 15, 2020, 11:45:20 AM

i don't know anyone who thinks he signed as an attacking midfielder, I just want to see him play there as our options are limited. Especially against Ipswich. Just want to see him play

I'll just quote the first post in this thread: "Ola has I think been brought in to play in Wide midfield/ Attacking Mid. Replacing Stefan and competition to Onomah."

I think Aina could do a job higher up, but I don't think he was signed as an attacking midfielder.

fulhamben

Quote from: Tabby on September 15, 2020, 11:47:02 AM

I'll just quote the first post in this thread: "Ola has I think been brought in to play in Wide midfield/ Attacking Mid. Replacing Stefan and competition to Onomah."

I think Aina could do a job higher up, but I don't think he was signed as an attacking midfielder.
fair point. Well I don't believe that's why he bought, but I would like to see him play there tomorrow to get some game time and just to have a look at him.

Deeping_white

I would play him in front of Tete personally in a 4-2-3-1, or if we go 3-5-2 as a wing back

Statto

Aina has mostly played left midfield for the last two years.

IMO Aina, Bryan and Robinson could all be used as wingers.

We Are Premier League

Think both were signed as RB's, and that they will get a few minutes under their belts tonight.

bencher

I'd like to see Aina and Robinson playing in front of Tete and Bryan. Could give us some good defensive stability plus some genuine pace going forward. We would probably then need more of a support striker / no. 10 to play between the midfield and Mitro and getting into the box because neither of them are really wide forwards. Onomah could possibly do this role.

filham

Well we are obviously confused as to how Aina is going to fit in, lets just hope TK and Parker communicated before he was signed and that Parker has something in mind.

Radiowhite

Wolves are a good example of a team who play with attacking wing backs. Traore is a winger but often played rwb very successfully last season, Doherty and jonny also were very attacking. Maybe we will see us play this at some point this season

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I tell you what Let's leave it up to the manager to decide!
Sorry but I just cannot believe some of the opinions on here.

davew

Quote from: We Are Premier League on September 15, 2020, 01:32:01 PM
Think both were signed as RB's, and that they will get a few minutes under their belts tonight.
Rather save them for tomorrow night.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Tabby

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on September 15, 2020, 04:42:57 PM

If this thread is too much we should probably just shut down the forum. It is just speculation.

fulhamben

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on September 15, 2020, 04:42:57 PM
99% of this forum is opinions. If we just wanted facts without debate then surely we would just look on the official Fulham web page. Surely you must have some opinions of your own, as to wear Alina might slot in to our team