watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thrown under the Bus

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, September 19, 2020, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordedmundo

I agree with the original poster.  Not sure how so many people can argue otherwise and suggest TK is not to blame and that somehow it is impossible to identify and sign one CB in the world who is significantly better than Ream!

alfie

Quote from: Lordedmundo on September 21, 2020, 09:41:45 AM
I agree with the original poster.  Not sure how so many people can argue otherwise and suggest TK is not to blame and that somehow it is impossible to identify and sign one CB in the world who is significantly better than Ream!
Feel free to go ahead and find one that is available, oh and don't forget according to this forum the player must have "Premiership experience", apparently it's so easy to do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

General

The fact it's not 100% clear cut, suggests that - frustratingly, the likelihood is it's a bit of both.

Everyone knows we got promoted despite having an unremarkable season last year, especially given our squad.

Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Mitrovic, Bobby Reid - all on their day can dominate defences in that division on their own and have PROVEN it... the fact we didn't get an automatic place at least shows we were under utilising players tactically.

Our defensive shape was soo poor the last two games that it was reminiscent of pub football - the amount of space leeds found and the lack of cohesion with our back four was incredibly poor.

I'd argue our defensive tactics/personnel have been responsible for 2 goals in each of our games so far, which means without them we perhaps could've seen a 1-0 scoreline against arsenal and a 3-2 scoreline in our favour against Leeds.

That said though, whilst the tactics have probably been too gun-ho (I appreciate you need to attack more at this level), I would've had us down to be more conservative against Arsenal and aim to hit them on the counter attack - same to a lesser degree against Leeds.

All of that could be made better had we two more CB's who commanded the defence and the box and didn't (like Hector) play so roguely - like he did at leeds - to the point he found himself up by the half way line, not winning posession, Leeds counter-attacking and then scoring.

The two CBs fault lies in TK's inability to address the situation and our fault to ship that many goals is also tactical and a clear lack of instilling defensive discipline and shape.

General

Quote from: alfie on September 21, 2020, 09:59:32 AM
Feel free to go ahead and find one that is available, oh and don't forget according to this forum the player must have "Premiership experience", apparently it's so easy to do.

I for one don't agree that a player needs premiership experience - the fact they don't has and is constantly disproven. What we need is a commanding CB, one who can control the box from set pieces and has height (like Hector was doing but in the championship) - or two.. and another who can play LCB and knows how to balance communication with speed and accuracy in the tackle (semedo is joining the portuguese revolution at wolves and has played 80 odd times for Barca).

The players exist, Khan just needs to put the money behind someone who's more subtle and diplomatic when it comes to dealing with players. 

Nero

Quote from: General on September 21, 2020, 10:22:04 AM

I for one don't agree that a player needs premiership experience - the fact they don't has and is constantly disproven. What we need is a commanding CB, one who can control the box from set pieces and has height (like Hector was doing but in the championship) - or two.. and another who can play LCB and knows how to balance communication with speed and accuracy in the tackle (semedo is joining the portuguese revolution at wolves and has played 80 odd times for Barca).

The players exist, Khan just needs to put the money behind someone who's more subtle and diplomatic when it comes to dealing with players. 

Problem is Semedo is RB not a CB. Everyone's looking for CB so the good ones are waiting to see who comes in for them and then choosing the best team. And as a newly promoted side we're low on the pecking order. Name a CB that's been signed this window that Fulham could have got?

blingo

Its all about cash nothing else. Throw enough of it at a player and he will come. Apart from the top top echelon.

Statto

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on September 20, 2020, 07:42:42 PM
Quote from: grandad on September 20, 2020, 09:57:59 AM
How on earth can some blame TK for not signing a CB partner for Hector? How do you know which players he has tried to sign. You can´t just snap your fingers & one will appear.You can lead a horse to water but you can´t make it drink. The Club have always done their recruitment quietly with input from the whole recruitment team. The Khans have invested massively in the Club, hindered by the totally unfair FFP rules.
The problems started in 2010 when MAF had a golden chance to rebuild the squad but he lost interest. Luckily the Khans took us under their wings & have had to build again. They have made mistakes but I trust them to continue running the Club in a financially secure way.
Get off the backs of the Khans & SP. They know what they would like in order to preserve our status but it isn´t always possible to do it at the flick of a switch.

Totally agree, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, why don't the moaners wait until the 5th October to see what we finish up with, after that date the board is yours to say "we told you so"

We can see what's happening on stage and it's not good enough. We don't need to know what's happening behind the scenes - it's irrelevant. We've got to the point where there's no excuse.

Fernhurst

Quote from: blingo on September 21, 2020, 10:58:40 AM
Its all about cash nothing else. Throw enough of it at a player and he will come. Apart from the top top echelon.

Surely the coach takes some responsibility Blingo? I'm amazed at the tune Cooper is getting out of Brighton. 
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lordedmundo

Thanks TK - will do  :dft012:

steed the legend

So we have not got the players we need in the essential positions, so far. This is nothing new, so I think we should look behind the scenes to see where recruitment could be improved.
First the scouting staff. We have Brian Talbot, a 67 year old who was a journeyman Pro in his day who has hired his Son, who I am sure has had experience of playing Football with his Kids in the park. This must be a great wheeze for his family, but what gems have they ever unearthed?. Cant think of any, so its time the the Scouting Team where replaced.
I see that Javier has now left as Assistant to Tony the DOF. 9 months in the job, and probably realised that he would not have any influence within his Role. Good luck to a nice man.
We are blessed with having a great Owner, who has brought financial stability ,and genuinely cares about the Club and as well as being a  thoroughly decent man. He does however have a Son called Tony.
Tony is a  well educated articulate man. Mr Khan Snr,  has however realised that he cannot involve him in his main Automobile business.
So what does he do with him?. Well he has given him True Media , the stats based Company, a stake in Wrestling in the States, and Co owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham. I do hope he knows a little bit more about the differences between American football and what we play. When he talks about Coach Parker it worries me.
I really feel he should step back from his DOF role , and get a Professional Football man in to ensure future recruitment is right.
Scott Parker , is a genuine Football man, and if given his Head will one day be a very good Manager. This would include being responsible for his own recruitment of players. Similar to Jean Tigana, and Roy Hodson who produced wonderful Teams.
My concern is that Tony will not see the sense of this, and will regard Fulham as his toy and will not take kindly to the idea of having a professional running the recruitment.
If this does not happen, as certain as God made apples, Coach Parker will be the full guy if things go pee tong. Once again Mr Khan Snr will have to pick up the pieces. I would also hope that he would realise to protect his long term investment at Fulham, he would suggest that his Son steps aside, even if this means he has to put up with a little chin wobble from Junior.

70sPimlico

Quote from: steed the legend on September 25, 2020, 01:23:04 PM
So we have not got the players we need in the essential positions, so far. This is nothing new, so I think we should look behind the scenes to see where recruitment could be improved.
First the scouting staff. We have Brian Talbot, a 67 year old who was a journeyman Pro in his day who has hired his Son, who I am sure has had experience of playing Football with his Kids in the park. This must be a great wheeze for his family, but what gems have they ever unearthed?. Cant think of any, so its time the the Scouting Team where replaced.
I see that Javier has now left as Assistant to Tony the DOF. 9 months in the job, and probably realised that he would not have any influence within his Role. Good luck to a nice man.
We are blessed with having a great Owner, who has brought financial stability ,and genuinely cares about the Club and as well as being a  thoroughly decent man. He does however have a Son called Tony.
Tony is a  well educated articulate man. Mr Khan Snr,  has however realised that he cannot involve him in his main Automobile business.
So what does he do with him?. Well he has given him True Media , the stats based Company, a stake in Wrestling in the States, and Co owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham. I do hope he knows a little bit more about the differences between American football and what we play. When he talks about Coach Parker it worries me.
I really feel he should step back from his DOF role , and get a Professional Football man in to ensure future recruitment is right.
Scott Parker , is a genuine Football man, and if given his Head will one day be a very good Manager. This would include being responsible for his own recruitment of players. Similar to Jean Tigana, and Roy Hodson who produced wonderful Teams.
My concern is that Tony will not see the sense of this, and will regard Fulham as his toy and will not take kindly to the idea of having a professional running the recruitment.
If this does not happen, as certain as God made apples, Coach Parker will be the full guy if things go pee tong. Once again Mr Khan Snr will have to pick up the pieces. I would also hope that he would realise to protect his long term investment at Fulham, he would suggest that his Son steps aside, even if this means he has to put up with a little chin wobble from Junior.

HAs it been 7 minutes? Just what we needed, another Tony khan thread.

One thing. Brian Talbot, a journey man pro?

I'm guessing your not old enough to remember him. He was a flipping excellent player. He must have played in at least 4 FA cup finals, scoring at least 1 from memory. Definitely played in a European final and finally played for England.

Remember, players didn't earn the money in the 80's. He would have needed to carry on playing, simply because he ended to keep earning.

Mr K.Dilkington

having an inexperienced manager and a dof like TK or whatever he classes himself as "head of operations" is a situation no club really wants to find themselves in
Foolish ham

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 20, 2020, 10:30:25 AM
How on earth can some blame TK for not signing a CB partner for Hector? How do you know which players he has tried to sign. You can´t just snap your fingers & one will appear.You can lead a horse to water but you can´t make it drink. The Club have always done their recruitment quietly with input from the whole recruitment team. The Khans have invested massively in the Club, hindered by the totally unfair FFP rules.
The problems started in 2010 when MAF had a golden chance to rebuild the squad but he lost interest. Luckily the Khans took us under their wings & have had to build again. They have made mistakes but I trust them to continue running the Club in a financially secure way.
Get off the backs of the Khans & SP. They know what they would like in order to preserve our status but it isn´t always possible to do it at the flick of a switch.

As I said on another thread, both our opponents so far, Leeds and Arsenal, needed a CB this summer and they both managed to bring one in for the start of the season (Koch and Gabriel). So this idea that there aren't enough CBs to go around or it's impossible to sign players until the last few days of the window, is obviously bo11ocks. It's just our transfer team, led by TK, being poor compared to other clubs.

So, you're a CB like Gabriel (Arsenal) and two clubs come to you- Fulham and Arsenal. Which one do you go to? The established Prem club with huge stadium and trophy wins galore or Fulham, just back in Prem after being relegated last time around.
You talk about the Leeds Cb as decent. He's worse than any of ours (Koch) in my opinion, though big Hec needs a boot up his backside of late.

Add to this the odd timing of us finishing playoff final (Leeds had a 2 week headstart on us in terms of transfers) and it's not easy.

I don't like particularly defending the bloke as I'd love a really good DOF- but it is what it is and we need to get on with it.

toshes mate

At the end of his illustrious playing career Talbot Snr went into player management at WBA and there followed spells at Aldershot, Hibs, Rushden & Diamonds, Oldham, Oxford United mostly of quite short duration.   He managed R&D into the Football League.  It is fair to say he has a fine football pedigree.  He is Fulham's Chief Scout and Assistant Director of Football Operations appointed by the Khans in 2017.  His son is seemingly registered as a player with Dunstable Town.  He has played 260 plus games for lower league clubs.

What does that tell us about their scouting ability or the Khans' ability to recruit wisely to an English football club?   Is there a pattern here or is there something we are all missing? 

ALG01

2013 is seven years ago. that isn't a flickof the switch it is a very long time to stamp your authority and style.

I largely do not agree with what you say here because as you probably know I do feel TK is a major drag on our progress.  I also do not think MAF 'lost interest' but was clearly showing the signs of age catching up. If he would have remianed, even now I do not think we would have ever been relegated because he would have porfesionals running tema affairs not his family.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on September 25, 2020, 02:13:09 PM
So, you're a CB like Gabriel (Arsenal) and two clubs come to you- Fulham and Arsenal. Which one do you go to? The established Prem club with huge stadium and trophy wins galore or Fulham, just back in Prem after being relegated last time around.

Presumably there's a defender out there, or indeed a whole field of players, who aren't going to get into a top 6 team like Arsenal but would improve our team, as a newly-promoted club, and to whom Fulham would be an attractive destination. And perhaps we'd be well-advised to aim for that sort of player.