Man City
2-5
Leicester
West Ham
4-0
Wolves

WhiteJC

Dean Smith wary of Fulham threat as Aston Villa look to stretch unbeaten run
The Cottagers are chasing their first points since returning to the Premier League.

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has warned his players to beware a Fulham backlash as his side bid to maintain their promising start to the season at Craven Cottage on Monday.

Smith was impressed with the fortitude shown by Scott Parker's men in last week's defeat to Leeds and believes they will have targeted the Villa game as one crucial to their survival prospects.

Smith said: "Scott will be looking at our game, I think, and eyeing it as an opportunity to get three points.

"I thought they played very well against Leeds. They went 4-1 down and made a sterling job of coming back and nearly got back into it in the end.

"We know what it's like coming up after play-off success. You have a short time to actually celebrate getting up and getting the team ready for the start of the season."

Smith senses a renewed optimism around the club as they head to south-west London looking to stretch their current unbeaten run to eight games.

And the mood brightened further after the comprehensive midweek Carabao Cup win at Bristol City, in which new signing Bertrand Traore signalled his arrival with a stunning goal in a 3-0 win.

Smith added: "It's only early stages, we've only had one Premier League game and a couple of Carabao Cup games.

"We've started well and what Thursday night gave me was certainly a lot of food for thought.

"The players who hadn't played in the first Premier League game all performed really well and showed me they're pushing for places in the Premier League.

"The players who started against Sheffield United know they're going to have to be on their toes to keep their shirts."

Smith will bring back his big names after making wholesale changes for the clash with the Championship side, and has no new injury worries although Bjorn Engels (Achilles), Wesley and Tom Heaton (both knee) remain sidelined.

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2020/september/dean-smith-wary-of-fulham-threat-as-aston-villa-look-to-stretch-unbeaten-run

WhiteJC

Four Premier League clubs in 'informal' talks for signing – Tottenham out ahead

Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Fulham are all in 'informal' talks over signing Arkadiusz Milik, reports Ciro Venerato.

Whenever there's a Napoli transfer story on the go, it can be certain that Venerato is involved somewhere. The journalist covers the club full time, and he's been quoted by MundoNapoli as saying: "As for Milik, the intermediary told me that there's informal talks with Leipzig, Manchester City, Manchester United, Fulham and Tottenham. The latter are the most reliable track, but the formula requested by Napoli does not convince Mourinho."

What that formula is, isn't mentioned, but it's known the Serie A club will be looking for a permanent transfer, given the striker's contract has less than a year left to run.

Tottenham have been the club linked the most, with Jose Mourinho continuing to look for a striker to add to Harry Kane. Claims in Italy in recent days have been optimistic a deal can be done, however, it's been made clear it's not there yet.

Manchester United and Manchester City haven't been in the story so much, and it's possible Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Pep Guardiola would consider a striker signing. At Old Trafford there's only really Odion Ighalo as a back-up and he's only on loan until January.

Injuries to Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus may give City a nudge, although their funds may be tighter should they seal a move for Ruben Dias.

Fulham have been mentioned in passing, yet to consider such a switch Milik would surely have to be assured he'd be a starter, which may not be the case elsewhere.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/four-premier-league-clubs-informal-talks-signing-tottenham-ahead/

WhiteJC

Dean Smith: 'Fulham will see Aston Villa match as chance for three points'

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has warned his players to beware a Fulham backlash as his side bid to maintain their promising start to the season at Craven Cottage on Monday.

Smith was impressed with the fortitude shown by Scott Parker's men in last week's defeat to Leeds and believes they will have targeted the Villa game as one crucial to their survival prospects.

Smith said: "Scott will be looking at our game, I think, and eyeing it as an opportunity to get three points.

"I thought they played very well against Leeds. They went 4-1 down and made a sterling job of coming back and nearly got back into it in the end.

"We know what it's like coming up after play-off success. You have a short time to actually celebrate getting up and getting the team ready for the start of the season."

Smith senses a renewed optimism around the club as they head to south-west London looking to stretch their current unbeaten run to eight games.

And the mood brightened further after the comprehensive midweek Carabao Cup win at Bristol City, in which new signing Bertrand Traore signalled his arrival with a stunning goal in a 3-0 win.

Smith added: "It's only early stages, we've only had one Premier League game and a couple of Carabao Cup games.

"We've started well and what Thursday night gave me was certainly a lot of food for thought.

"The players who hadn't played in the first Premier League game all performed really well and showed me they're pushing for places in the Premier League.

"The players who started against Sheffield United know they're going to have to be on their toes to keep their shirts."

Smith will bring back his big names after making wholesale changes for the clash with the Championship side, and has no new injury worries although Bjorn Engels (Achilles), Wesley and Tom Heaton (both knee) remain sidelined.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/news/dean-smith-fulham-will-see-aston-villa-match-as-chance-for-three-points_416129.html

WhiteJC

In-form Windsor focused on Fulham PL2 test

Forward Owen Windsor is hoping to 'capitalise' on the attacking talent Albion have at their disposal when the PL2 side welcome Fulham on Monday (ko 2pm).

Deon Burton's side have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the campaign, winning in the EFL Trophy against Swindon Town, while beating Aston Villa in their opening Premier League 2 Division Two match.

Windsor netted in the young Baggies' last league game which saw them secure a dramatic 3-3 draw against Crystal Palace.

And after bagging his fourth goal in three matches, the striker is looking to push on his goal-scoring exploits and maintain Albion's positive start to the campaign on Monday afternoon.

"I'm happy with the team's start to the season," said Windsor.

"As a young side we have shown good maturity in games and on a personal note I'm happy to start the season with a few goals. Hopefully, I can push on and get many more.

"My aims for the season are to play well and score as many goals as possible alongside being effective in order to win games.

"Playing men's football at an earlier age has helped me develop quickly in a physical aspect and become more aggressive on the pitch.

"We are expecting Fulham to be a team that will be very technical and want to play through the thirds and create chances, but we know if we can come in with intensity and pressure we can force mistakes and capitalise with the attacking presence we have."

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/form-windsor-focused-fulham-pl2-test

WhiteJC

Fulham XI vs Aston Villa: Confirmed early team news, predicted lineup, latest injuries for Premier League game

Scott Parker says Fulham are at full strength for Monday's game against Aston Villa as they bid to get their season up and running after two defeats from two in the Premier League.

Fulham are already up against it at the bottom and even at this early stage the visit of Villa feels like it could be a significant one in their season.

"I think we're all good," said Parker. "There are no injuries as such, just the general management of the squad and players really. We're at full strength."

Anthony Knockaert is pushing to start after scoring in Wednesday's 2-0 Carabao Cup win against Sheffield Wednesday.

Parker said: "I think I've said this from the outset, and it'll remain my main voice this year, that we're going to lose football matches this year and we can't afford them to really cripple us and we can't take that into a really negative spiral."

Predicted Fulham XI (4-2-3-1): Areola; Tete, Hector, Odoi, Bryan; Reed, Zambo Anguissa; Knockaert, Onomah, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-xi-vs-aston-villa-confirmed-early-team-news-predicted-lineup-latest-injuries-premier-league-a4557166.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa

New Villa signing Bertrand Traore made 16 appearances for Chelsea, all in the 2015-16 season

TEAM NEWS
Fulham are at full strength for Monday's visit of Aston Villa.

Recent recruits Ola Aina and Antonee Robinson are vying to make their league debuts for the club.

Aston Villa's new signing Bertrand Traore could make his first Premier League appearance since playing for Fulham's neighbours Chelsea in May 2016.

Defender Bjorn Engels is still not fit for Villa, who have reported no new injury concerns.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Fulham have lost their first two league matches and shipped seven goals already, so this is a game they will be thinking they have to get something out of.

Aston Villa will fancy it too, though. They made a confident start against Sheffield United, with a win and a clean sheet, and I'm going to go with them to carry on in that kind of form at Craven Cottage.

Prediction: 1-2

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Fulham have won five consecutive home matches against Aston Villa in all competitions since a 0-0 Premier League draw in August 2011.
    Villa only managed one point from the four most recent Premier League encounters. Their most recent victory in this fixture was 1-0 at home in March 2012.

Fulham

Fulham haven't lost their opening three league fixtures since starting the 2014-15 Championship season with four defeats.
    They have conceded seven times in their opening two league matches this season. The Premier League record for most goals conceded by a club in their opening three matches is 11 by West Brom this season.
    None of Fulham's last 21 Premier League games have finished level, with the Cottagers winning just five of them and conceding 45 goals.
    Since his debut for the club in February 2018, Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 39% of Fulham's league goals.
    However, Mitrovic has failed to score in all six competitive appearances against Aston Villa for Newcastle and Fulham.

Aston Villa

Villa are attempting to begin a Premier League season with successive victories for only the third time, having done so in 1995 and 1999.
    Aston Villa's current five-match unbeaten run in the top flight is their longest since May-October 2011, when they went 10 games without defeat.
    They have earned just one point from their past 10 Premier League fixtures in London since beating Tottenham in April 2015.
    It's 26 top-flight away games without a clean sheet for Villa since a 0-0 draw at West Brom in January 2016.
    Seven of their past nine Premier League goals have come from set-pieces: four corners and three free-kicks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54230355

WhiteJC

NEW FOF'cast🎙 Lookman, it just ain't good enough

On this episode of FOF'cast, we are joined by regular guests Owen Smith and Gerry Pimm as we discussed the following Fulham FC topics:

The 4-3 defeat to Leeds – Defensive frailties again, but did we show character and fight?

The departure of Javier Pereira – Only joined in January, seemed a bit odd?

The 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the Carabao Cup – Team changes, lots of positives?

Jean Michael Seri – Here to stay at Fulham, or should he still go?

Tony Khan's Transfer Video – Rambling nonsense, it did it make a lot of sense?

Possible return of Terrance Kongolo – Unfinished business, was he spotted in Chelsea with his Agent?

Still no Centre Backs – Becoming a regular topic on the show now.

Aston Villa – Thoughts on Monday Nights clash, are 3 points desperately needed?

Villa Predictions – Will it be a win, loss or draw?

Thanks once again for listening, link to the show is below.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1432

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa – The big match preview

Aston Villa head down to the Capital to take on Fulham in the Premier League at Craven Cottage on Monday evening. Dean Smith's men will be hoping they can build on their 1-0 victory over Sheffield United last week.

Since the Playoff Final in 2018, the two sets of supporters have formed a bit of a rivalry. And a lot of it is probably down to the media than the actual two clubs. Yes, the defeat in 2018 took Aston Villa on a road that none of us could see coming. In a weird way, it may have just been for the best going by the ambitions of our new owners Nassef Sawiris‎ and Wes Edens.

The "Doing a Fulham" tag line was formed by the media because Fulham got promoted in 2018, spent a large amount of money to try and improved their squad. It didn't work for one reason or another, which I am sure Fulham fans will know more about than me.

Fast forward a year and Villa were back in the Playoff finals but this time they were successful and the club was being run much better than it was 12 months before. Just as Fulham did, Villa spent a lot of money. Villa had their reasons, many of the squad that got them promoted either returned to their parent clubs or contracts had ended. The media don't want to tell you about that though. Instead, they say Villa are "Doing a Fulham".

Two years on from that original Playoff Final game and both clubs are in the Premier League and I am sure both would agree they are better equipped than they were in the past. Both believe they have learned lessons and improved their squad where it has been needed. Ultimately, we won't know the outcome of this until the end of the season but I am sure both sets of supporters would agree, on the face of things, the future is bright for their clubs.

Fulham have lost both of their opening two games of the season so far. A 3-0 defeat at Arsenal and then they were involved in a high scoring defeat at Leeds.

Both clubs will look at this fixture as a must-win. A game that could have a big say on how they move forward this season.

TEAM NEWS
Aston Villa will still be without defender Bjorn Engels who has a thigh strain. He remains in the physio room with long term casualties Tom Heaton and Wesley.

Traoré could make his Premier League debut against FulhamEzri Konsa picked up a strain on his glutes in the win over Sheffield United but he should be fine for the game against Fulham. New signing Bertrand Traore could replace Trezeguet in the starting line up after an impressive debut in the Carabao Cup win against Bristol City.

Scott Parker has no fresh injury concerns for Fulham. Fulham made seven changes for their Carabao Cup game so those who were rested are expected to return.

Match Officials

Referee: Stuart Attwell.

Assistants: Simon Long, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

DID YOU KNOW?
If Aston Villa are able to beat Fulham, it will be just the third time they have opened a Premier League campaign with back to back victories. The other two occasions were in 1995/96 and 1999/00.

Fulham have been Villa in six of their last eight meetings, including the last three.

PREDICTION
I believe this will be a real test for Villa. As I already touched upon, both teams will look at this as a must-win game if they are to achieve their Premier League goals this season. Villa also have a dreadful record away from Villa Park last season.

I will go with a close away win. Fulham 1-2 Aston Villa

http://www.avillafan.com/32606/fulham-v-aston-villa-the-big-match-preview/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa Matchday Preview

FULHAM V ASTON VILLA | CRAVEN COTTAGE | MONDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2020 | 5:45PM | #FULAVL

The opposition

Villa started the season with a slender victory over Sheffield United, the same encounter that was shrouded in goal-line technology controversy last season. An early dismissal for the Blades left the door open for Ezri Konsa's second half winner.
    The Villains also find themselves at the same stage of the Carabao Cup as Scott Parker's side after brushing aside Burton Albion, and most recently overcoming Bristol City.
    Our visitors have bulked their squad for the coming season in an attempt to maintain their Premier League status. Ollie Watkins, Bertrand Traore, Emiliano Martinez and Matty Cash have bolstered the ranks at Villa Park.

Fulham team news

Scott Parker has no fresh injury concerns following the Carabao Cup victory over Sheffield Wednesday. He made seven changes for the Carabao Cup win on Wednesday so he's likely to call on those rested.

Aston Villa team news

Villa will be without Bjorn Engels, Tom Heaton and Wesley for Monday night's clash. Ezri Konsa survived a hamstring scare to be in contention. Dean Smith switched out his entire XI for the win over Bristol City and is likely to welcome back his star names when they visit SW6.

Coverage

The game will be live on Sky Sports from 5:45pm. FFCtv seasonal and monthly subscribers will be able to listen to commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid via the match centre. FFCtv App users are reminded to have the latest version installed.

Pre-match quotes

We'll be trying to prepare to nullify their threats and cause them some problems. As a club Villa have gone on to do well. It'll be a tough game, but Dean's recruitment has been fantastic.

Scott Parker

It will be another big task. I thought they played very well against Leeds United. They went 4-1 down and made a sterling job of coming back and nearly got back into it in the end.

Dean Smith

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Aston-Villa-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Johnny Haynes Trophy Winner 2020

The Trust is delighted to announce that Jay Stansfield has been awarded the Johnny Haynes Trophy as the Fulham Supporters' Trust Academy Player of the Year for the 2019-20 season.

Jay is the second winner of the Johnny Haynes Trophy, following on from Tyrese Francois in 2019. The trophy is awarded annually to Fulham's Academy Player of the Year, voted on by Academy staff and players across the Under-16 to Under-23 age groups.  FST Membership Secretary Jerry Cope offered congratulations to Jay on behalf of all Trust members and Fulham supporters.

Jerry Cope
    Congratulations to Jay Stansfield on winning the Fulham Supporters Trust Academy Player of the Year award for 2020.

Even in a disrupted season, getting a glimpse of Jay's potential in the First Team underlines the benefits of nurturing young talent.

As winner of the Johnny Haynes Trophy, we hope Jay can continue his development and become a First Team regular in seasons to come.

The year's Trophy was presented to Jay by Academy Director Huw Jennings at Motspur Park this week. Huw told the Fulham FC official web site

It's a fantastic trophy because it's a collaboration between ourselves, the Academy and the Supporters Trust which is a great organisation and really supportive of the club.

It was a tightly contested competition but Jay had a terrific season. Not only did he gain First Team experience in both the Championship and the FA Cup, he also scored a seemingly endless amount of goals in the curtailed season that we had. It's a tremendous accolade.

Huw Jennings, Fulham FC Academy Director

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2020/09/johnny-haynes-trophy-winner-2020/

WhiteJC

Next Up: Fulham

Our Carabao Cup run continues on Thursday

On Thursday night Thomas Frank's side take on Fulham looking to become the first Brentford team in history to reach the Quarter-Final of the Carabao Cup. It'll be the third round in a row which has seen us up against a Premier League side with our local rivals making the trip to our new home for a 5.30pm kick-off on Thursday, 1 October.

The Bees secured passage through to the Fourth Round for the first time in a decade with a penalty shootout victory over West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns last Tuesday. Emiliano Marcondes' sublime overhead kick and Marcus Forss' penalty saw us twice come from behind in normal time to take the game to spot kicks. In the shootout, Ivan Toney, Josh Dasilva, Tariqe Fosu, and Forss were perfect before David Raya saved from Grady Diangana. That allowed Christian Norgaard to fire home and send us into the Last 16. The Baggies joined Southampton and Wycombe Wanderers on our list of victims during this run.

For Fulham, who beat Ipswich Town 1-0 at Portman Road in Round Two, progress last Wednesday was all-together more straightforward. Aboubakar Kamara and Bobby Reid netted in the first-half as The Whites beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 at Craven Cottage.

This West London affair comes less than two months after the two sides met at Wembley in last season's Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final. On that occasion a pair of Joe Bryan goals gave Fulham the win, after two Brentford victories in the regular season fixtures.

Thursday's match will, unfortunately, be behind closed doors. It will, however, be available live on Sky Sports. As per the EFL communication on the broadcast arrangements for the new season, all Carabao Cup ties that are selected for live coverage by Sky Sports will only be available on that platform. See more here.

Fans who do not have Sky Sports can access the game online via Now TV. Fans can pay for one-day access or longer passes. See more here.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/september/next-up-fulham/

WhiteJC

AZ could lose Koopmeiners with Fulham and Leeds United circling

According to De Telegraaf, there is interest from England for AZ Alkmaar captain Teun Koopmeiners.

Last week, the Telegraph in England reported that Leeds United were showing keen interest in the AZ midfielder.

Now, De Telegraaf has added Fulham's name as another interested party, and also claims an unnamed club from France have had a big offer turned down.

Speaking to De Telegraaf, Koopmeiners stated he would leave AZ if the right club appears, "For me it is clear that I have the ambition to make a step abroad. But I must have a good feeling at that club, it must all fit into the picture."

Specifically on the interest from England, Koopmeiners added, "Of course it is nice, because I would like to make that step. It would be more annoying if a foreign club never comes for me. But there has to be a lot right. If I already have a good feeling about a club, the clubs should also need to agree a deal. "

Koopmeiners agent Karel Jansen would not confirm which clubs want his client but said, "The interest in Teun from England is abundantly clear."

The 22-year-old has a contract with AZ until 2023.

http://www.football-oranje.com/az-could-lose-koopmeiners-with-fulham-and-leeds-united-circling/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa: Cottagers target first win

Fulham are still awaiting their first win of the season after two matches, while Aston Villa began 2020/21 with a 1-0 victory over Sheffield United.

Team news

Scott Parker reports no new injury concerns for Fulham.

Bjorn Engels, Tom Heaton and Wesley are ruled out for Aston Villa, but Ezri Konsa has recovered from a hamstring strain and is available for selection.

Did you know?

Fulham have won six of their last eight meetings with Aston Villa in all competitions, including the last three.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 39 per cent of Fulham's league goals since his debut in February 2018, with 51 out of 131. The Cottagers' next highest scorer in that time is Tom Cairney with 13.

Aston Villa are looking for their first clean sheet in 27 Premier League away matches, since a 0-0 draw with West Bromwich Albion in January 2016.

Villa are looking to open a Premier League campaign with back-to-back victories for just the third time, having previously done so in 1995/96 and 1999/00.

Match officials

Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Simon Long, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1837520

WhiteJC

Scott Parker demands change in mentality at Fulham

Fulham manager Scott Parker explained his side have to have a different "mindset" this year when it comes to winning matches ahead of their Premier League clash with Aston Villa on Monday.

Last season, the west London club secured promotion via the play-offs, winning 25 matches while losing just 14 in all competitions.

This year, Fulham marked their return to the top flight with a 3-0 home loss before being edged out by Leeds in a seven-goal thriller but the manager insisted a different attitude is needed when approaching defeats this season.

Parker said: "What we need to understand is, if we lose three on the bounce, we need to win the fourth, and if we win the fourth, we're back on track. That's where we are.

"Football clubs when you lose football matches are not nice places.

"What we did last year and the expectation on us and from me as the coach was that we couldn't afford to lose two or three on the bounce, or go four or five weeks without a result, because we were trying to win the league and get promoted.

"All of a sudden, this year it's a different mindset. There's a different expectation of us and our expectation is to try to stay in this division this year."

Last season Villa just avoided relegation, having been promoted the season before, and Parker insisted that is also the goal for Fulham.

Parker said: "For a club like us, who have just come up from the Championship, we are where we are with the squad. We need to stay in the division. To do that we need to do something different this year to what we did last year.

"From my time at West Ham, from my time here when we got relegated, the defeats are going to happen. But you can't afford to let the noise affect you.

"But what is going to be vitally important to us is, 'What is the next task in hand?' That will be an opportunity for us to get back on the horse and get going again.

"That's where we are. The teams I was involved in were teams that didn't understand that.

"Two, three, four negative results, it was a massive crisis. A massive crisis. And before you know it confidence is low, the whole club has a negative feel – 'we're going to struggle'.

"For sure, for this club this year and my team, I won't let that happen. I don't want that to happen because I know how important it is going to be."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/news/scott-parker-demands-change-in-mentality-at-fulham_416220.html

WhiteJC

Aston Villa new boy Bertrand Traore set for Premier League debut against Fulham after impressing Dean Smith in his early days at the club

Bertrand Traore sealed a £19m move to Aston Villa from Ligue 1 side Lyon
    The ex-Chelsea prospect scored on his debut in the Carabao Cup against Bristol
    Traore has impressed since joining and is now set for his top-flight debut
    Villa face Fulham on Monday, with the Londoners yet to record a single point

Bertrand Traore is poised to make his Premier League debut for Aston Villa on Monday after making an impressive impact at his new club.

Traore marked his first appearance since his £19million move from Lyon with a spectacular strike to help Villa to a 3-0 win at Bristol City in the Carabao Cup last week.

The former Chelsea forward is likely to become a key part of Villa boss Dean Smith's new-look side with their spending set to pass the £100million mark for the second consecutive summer.

Smith said: 'It's not too early [for his first start]. He's trained really well, he looks fit. The French league curtailed early last season but his team were in the Champions League so he's been training pretty regularly.

'His fitness levels are really good and he's certainly made a good start.

'It's only early stages, we've only had one Premier League game and a couple of Carabao Cup games. But we've started well.'

Villa face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday, with the Londoners yet to register a point since returning to the Premier League. 

Smith will be keen to preserve his side's 100 per cent record after beating Sheffield United 1-0 in their 2020-21 opener. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8779287/Aston-Villa-new-boy-Bertrand-Traore-set-Premier-League-debut-against-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Conor Hourihane believes Aston Villa can kick on after £80m spending spree so far this summer... and says coronavirus break had him 'raring to go' when football resumed

Conor Hourihane is confident that Aston Villa can kick on after staying up
    Hourihane is one of three survivors from the play-off final defeat to Fulham
    The two sides face other at Craven Cottage at 5.45pm on Monday evening

Midfielder Conor Hourihane can't believe the transformation at Aston Villa since they were beaten by Fulham in the Championship play-off final at two years ago.

The sides face each other again in the Premier League on Monday and it's Villa whose star is on the rise after a summer spending spree and 100 per cent record in all competitions this season.

Hourihane, 29, is just one of three survivors from the Villa side which fell at the final hurdle at Wembley under Steve Bruce and he's been impressed how the club has been revived under Dean Smith, winning promotion and then staying in the top flight on the final day of last season.

This summer the club have spent £80million on Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, right back Matty Cash and forwards Ollie Watkins and Bertrand Traore who played in the Champions League semi-final for Lyon last season.

'It's been an amazing journey,' says Hourihane, who thought his dream of playing in the Premier League was over after Tom Cairney's winner for Fulham in 2018.

'We reached the play-off final and lost. Then we reached the play-off final and won. Then we stayed in the Premier League in our first season, which was hugely important because it has given us some foundation,' he says.

'Now we are set to take it forward again. Villa do have ambition. I think the club has shown that, and it's a huge club.

Tom Cairney slotted home in the 2018 Championship play-off final to break Villa hearts

'It needs to move forward and it feels like we are bringing in some very, very good players and it's somewhere closer to where the club wants to be. I know the club is on a journey.'

Hourihane admits losing to Fulham in the play-offs was 'hard to take'. In their only meeting since, Fulham also knocked Villa out of the FA Cup at Craven Cottage, where Monday's game will take place.

Fulham are newly-promoted themselves and finding the jump to the Premier League hard as Villa found last season.

It was only after football resumed post-lockdown they found form to keep them up and Hourihane felt his own standards were also raised.

'It's the toughest league in the world and it's never going to be easy for anyone to slide into it and play their best,' says the Irishman, who played in the lower leagues for Plymouth and Barnsley prior to his West Midlands move.

'Coming back raring to go was important to me. A lot of players may have struggled with the break, but I just was raring to go for the last ten games and I felt like I contributed to the Great Escape.

'I thought to myself: "Look, you need to give yourself an even better chance here" and so I knuckled down. I hadn't come through the leagues for no reason. I am dedicated to the game. If you stand still as a player you get passed over as well.

'I felt like I could get fitter and stronger and I think I reaped the rewards of that. I believe you'll receive the rewards if you put in the hard work and that was something I did over the break, get myself in an even better shape.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8779359/Conor-Hourihane-believes-Aston-Villa-kick-80m-spending-spree-far-summer.html

WhiteJC

Scott Parker calls for change in mentality as Fulham battle for survival

Fulham manager Scott Parker explained his side have to have a different "mindset" this year when it comes to winning matches ahead of their Premier League clash with Aston Villa on Monday.

Last season, the west London club secured promotion via the play-offs, winning 25 matches while losing just 14 in all competitions.

This year, Fulham marked their return to the top flight with a 3-0 home loss before being edged out by Leeds in a seven-goal thriller but the manager insisted a different attitude is needed when approaching defeats this season.

Parker said: "What we need to understand is, if we lose three on the bounce, we need to win the fourth, and if we win the fourth, we're back on track. That's where we are.

"Football clubs when you lose football matches are not nice places.

"What we did last year and the expectation on us and from me as the coach was that we couldn't afford to lose two or three on the bounce, or go four or five weeks without a result, because we were trying to win the league and get promoted.

"All of a sudden, this year it's a different mindset. There's a different expectation of us and our expectation is to try to stay in this division this year."

Last season Villa just avoided relegation, having been promoted the season before, and Parker insisted that is also the goal for Fulham.

Parker said: "For a club like us, who have just come up from the Championship, we are where we are with the squad. We need to stay in the division. To do that we need to do something different this year to what we did last year.

"From my time at West Ham, from my time here when we got relegated, the defeats are going to happen. But you can't afford to let the noise affect you.

"But what is going to be vitally important to us is, 'What is the next task in hand?' That will be an opportunity for us to get back on the horse and get going again.

"That's where we are. The teams I was involved in were teams that didn't understand that.

"Two, three, four negative results, it was a massive crisis. A massive crisis. And before you know it confidence is low, the whole club has a negative feel – 'we're going to struggle'.

"For sure, for this club this year and my team, I won't let that happen. I don't want that to happen because I know how important it is going to be."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-calls-for-change-in-mentality-as-fulham-battle-for-survival-1601242222000

WhiteJC

At Fulham and competition teaser

I'm the first person to say it's pointless to get carried away and the first to get overly optimistic. It's the pain I carry for supporting Aston Villa and coming from a time when we were a top side, feared by most other sides and also I'm also a person that believes anything is possible.

And the season is so early. When I was growing up the table wasn't even published until six games in (maybe less) so what it looks like right now is irrelevant. It only goes to serve those selling links, sorry clicks, sorry newspapers.

We've played one game, but a win tonight would put us third in the table and while not everyone has played three games, it would be nice if after two we had six points. I mean, we have to believe we can get the points and while it's easy to write it's only Fulham, this is one of those matches that if we don't get a win, we will be disappointed and it will feel like a missed opportunity.

Fulham have played twice this season and not won. It feels like a good time to be playing them and it feels like this is an opportunity we shouldn't waste. We're not going to get many opportunities to play a side fancied to be relegated this season and we have to take them.

And the performance and result against Bristol the other night was good. And sure, it was only Bristol but three goals builds confidence. And we have to fancy that Fulham wont have a man sent off and we get to play against a side that will come at us. We actually need them to come at us.
Match facts from the BBC
Head-to-head

Fulham have won five consecutive home matches against Aston Villa in all competitions since a 0-0 Premier League draw in August 2011.
    Villa only managed one point from the four most recent Premier League encounters. Their most recent victory in this fixture was 1-0 at home in March 2012.

Fulham

Fulham haven't lost their opening three league fixtures since starting the 2014-15 Championship season with four defeats.
    They have conceded seven times in their opening two league matches this season. The Premier League record for most goals conceded by a club in their opening three matches is 11 by West Brom this season.
    None of Fulham's last 21 Premier League games have finished level, with the Cottagers winning just five of them and conceding 45 goals.
    Since his debut for the club in February 2018, Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 39% of Fulham's league goals.
    However, Mitrovic has failed to score in all six competitive appearances against Aston Villa for Newcastle and Fulham.

Aston Villa

Villa are attempting to begin a Premier League season with successive victories for only the third time, having done so in 1995 and 1999.
    Aston Villa's current five-match unbeaten run in the top flight is their longest since May-October 2011, when they went 10 games without defeat.
    They have earned just one point from their past 10 Premier League fixtures in London since beating Tottenham in April 2015.
    It's 26 top-flight away games without a clean sheet for Villa since a 0-0 draw at West Brom in January 2016.
    Seven of their past nine Premier League goals have come from set-pieces: four corners and three free-kicks.

https://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/avfc-live/at-fulham-and-competition-teaser

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Aston Villa prediction: How will Premier League fixture play out tonight?

All you need to know ahead of kick-off

One newly promoted team meets one in their second season in the top flight on Monday, as Fulham host Aston Villa in the Premier League.

The Craven Cottage club would love to emulate their opponents by surviving this season, even if it goes to the last day as it did with Villa - but there's a lot of work to do to ensure that can be the case.

Fulham haven't yet picked up a point in the league and the defence has looked worryingly short of top-flight quality.

Villa have started with plenty of reason for optimism, with new signings and an opening-match win.

Here's everything you need to know ahead of the match.

We may earn commission from some of the links in this article, but we never allow this to influence our content.

When is it?

The match kicks off at 5:45pm on Monday evening at Craven Cottage.

How can I watch it?

It will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Premier League, Sky Sports Main Event and Ultimate HD. Subscribers can also stream the game via the Sky Go app.

If you're not a Sky customer you can grab a NOWTV Day Pass here to watch without a subscription.

Team news

Fulham are likely to have a fully fit squad to choose from and Scott Parker could make changes, with defensive errors an early theme this season in particular.

Villa are likely to name the same lineup which won against the Blades, meaning Bertrand Traore could wait for his league debut on the bench.

Predicted line-ups

Fulham: Areola; Tete, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Reed, Anguissa; Kebano, Decordova-Reid, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic

Villa: Martinez; Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett; McGinn, Luiz, Hourihane; Trezeguet, Watkins, Grealish.

Odds

Fulham - 45/23

Draw - 12/5

Villa - 8/5

Prediction

Fulham will attack as they know these are the types of games they have to look at winning, but Aston Villa have more resilience this year than last and could emerge with a confidence-boosting win of their own instead. Fulham 1-2 Villa

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-aston-villa-prediction-premier-league-2020-form-odds-tonight-latest-b651630.html