watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The importance of dribbling

Started by bencher, November 02, 2020, 08:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

The importance of dribbling was underlined in this match. The big problem with Parkerball is passing that does not penetrate, especially against a set defence. Tonight saw a number of players able to run with the ball effectively to beat the press or the line of defence in front of them. Anguissa, Cairney, Lemina, Robinson, Lookman all did it at times and it makes things possible. Long may it continue.

TC's Sporran

fully agreed

in this day and age of tackling almost outlawed its hard to defend against

Jamie88

Absolutely
We may have weaknesses, but technical players with great ball control is not one of them. It surprises me how little Cairney attempts to dribble forward in the same vein as Lookman, because when he does he always seems to find an opening and it can be very difficult to get the ball off him

filham

Agree , it was so enjoyable to see Fulham players actually taking on and beating opponents.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 02, 2020, 09:18:57 PM
Absolutely
We may have weaknesses, but technical players with great ball control is not one of them. It surprises me how little Cairney attempts to dribble forward in the same vein as Lookman, because when he does he always seems to find an opening and it can be very difficult to get the ball off him

thats because parker has been playing tc deep in his own half

not exactly the place to dribble

Jamie88

Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 02, 2020, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on November 02, 2020, 09:18:57 PM
Absolutely

thats because parker has been playing tc deep in his own half

not exactly the place to dribble

Not true this season, he has had many more oppertunities to venture forward since Anguissa, Lemina and/or Reed are all in the side playing the deeper role

Additionally, Anguissa has always played like this even in 2018-19. Believe it or not, you are allowed and can move the ball forward even if you are being played as a holding mid.

hovewhite

That's the big difference on this showing and maybe scotty saying about taking bigger risks around teams 18 yd box  .

rebel

Quote from: bencher on November 02, 2020, 08:34:18 PM
The importance of dribbling was underlined in this match. The big problem with Parkerball is passing that does not penetrate, especially against a set defence. Tonight saw a number of players able to run with the ball effectively to beat the press or the line of defence in front of them. Anguissa, Cairney, Lemina, Robinson, Lookman all did it at times and it makes things possible. Long may it continue.

I think that's stating the obvious, I think it's inspired by 'Lookman', before he came onboard who was doing it? No one. Lookman will need to find a new niche thing to do.

rebel

Quote from: hovewhite on November 03, 2020, 08:17:24 AM
That's the big difference on this showing and maybe scotty saying about taking bigger risks around teams 18 yd box  .

It was a totally different beast to 'parkerball', we played in the opposition half, we didn't pass the ball back towards our own goal. There was none of the endless passing. 

Jim©

Quote from: rebel on November 03, 2020, 08:51:21 AM
Quote from: hovewhite on November 03, 2020, 08:17:24 AM

It was a totally different beast to 'parkerball', we played in the opposition half, we didn't pass the ball back towards our own goal. There was none of the endless passing. 

To be fair to Parker, he's said after nearly every game that the passing needed to be quicker and more incisive. This "parkerball" being used as a noun for something negative is a bit weird/OTT .

toshes mate

I believe it has been there throughout Parker's tenure, it's just that, as said above, it needs confidence and bravery which is difficult to do when so many goals are let in from inadequate cover if and when it breaks down.  I think of all the runs during Parker's tenure made by defenders that often opened things up for our midfeld but also cost us goals against, and those made by midfielders that also broke down at cost. 

I am hopeful that Parker and his staff are steadily improving the culture at FFC and getting players to work at the detail of what they are trying to achieve when they play the way they do.   This team is very new and it will get better both collectively and individual which is the most heartening thing I have felt for FFC in a while.   However I also anticipate some more difficult moments when the team's character will be tested more significantly than yesterday and I am hoping that will also prove positive in the medium to long term.

Radiowhite

Some interesting stats on dribbling, Lookman and anguissa are 4th and 5th in Europe's top 5 leagues for successful dribbles per game, and Fulham are as a team are 2nd, only to Barcelona!

WindyCity

Quote from: bencher on November 02, 2020, 08:34:18 PM

True that, all you mention had terrific games in dribbling and beating defense and creating space.  When you say long may it continue, I would add the following though:  With Some Caution!  Anguissa was terrific, BUT, he had his pocket picked a couple of times while dribbling and trying to maintain control, and one time it could have proved disastrous, as the WBA striker couldn't put the ball on target after a terrible Anguissa faux pas.

rebel

Quote from: Radiowhite on November 03, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
Some interesting stats on dribbling, Lookman and anguissa are 4th and 5th in Europe's top 5 leagues for successful dribbles per game, and Fulham are as a team are 2nd, only to Barcelona!

Reminds me of that other famous stat, in 2010 Fulham were the 9th best team in the world.

bog

I think the ability to dribble to be important. I just hope that some with that natural gift are not having this coached out of them.

092.gif 

TC's Sporran

was it lookman who attempted a dribble in his own half last night and lost the ball and they could have gone on to punish us?

time and a place

WindyCity

Quote from: rebel on November 03, 2020, 03:25:31 PM
Quote from: Radiowhite on November 03, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
Reminds me of that other famous stat, in 2010 Fulham were the 9th best team in the world.

If FFC as a team is so good at dribbling, then maybe the secret to turning that ability into success/goals/wins would be "dribbling with a purpose" and "dribbling moving forward"?  Really liked game v WBA as much of the dribbling was moving the offense forward......

rebel

Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 03, 2020, 04:12:33 PM
was it lookman who attempted a dribble in his own half last night and lost the ball and they could have gone on to punish us?

time and a place

No Anguissa.

Sting of the North

Quote from: rebel on November 03, 2020, 04:28:48 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 03, 2020, 04:12:33 PM

time and a place

No Anguissa.

No, it was Lookman, not long after Anguissa lost the ball not by trying to dribble but just being sloppy at protecting the ball when receiving a pass. In between Lemina did something similar in completely the wrong situation. It was as if we tried to get WBA back in the game for a few minutes before we upped the concentration levels again.

TC's Sporran

better teams will punish stuff like that