https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craven Mad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 08, 2021, 11:06:43 AM
West Ham favourites to get Josh King

At the £15m that Bournemouth want for him, it might be best for us to look elsewhere anyway...

He wasn't exactly prolific for Bournemouth last year, and has either been injured or refusing to play in the Championship this year...

I'd still like him here, but given that he's in the last 6 months of his contract, nearly 30 and probably isn't match fit, any more than £8m feels like too much...

rebel

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 07, 2021, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 07, 2021, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 07, 2021, 09:32:32 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 07, 2021, 09:17:07 PM
Wow...Ryan Babel lost 26 lbs due to catching Covid in November.

Well, he's off my list of wants.   Wanted him prior to the season starting, but we need to bring in an in form player that can contribute NOW.   (Same reason I don't want Gayle)

Definitely want a player that can have a similar impact to what Ryan Babel gave us two seasons ago though.

Sad, Ryan Babel caught Covid-19 in November and it seems like his career is now basically over at least he won't play at an elite level for 90 minutes for many more games. We could lose a player too.

Lol. According to his own Instagram he was back in training on 3 December, so two weeks after getting the virus. Transfermarkt (and this article, somewhat confusingly) attributes his absence for a further few weeks to a back problem. In any case he's now back in team, having come off the bench in their last fixture. The headline claiming he lost two stone is patently BS since that is basically impossible in that timeframe unless you are dead. Why do people so readily swallow this rubbish?

Well...if you can't believe articles on the internet...who can you believe?   And I think you know I've been in Ryan's camp...since before the season started.  I just read that particular article today.

Thanks.   Would swap Ryan for Seri every day of the week...but even I am concerned that he can play full 80 minute matches after not starting one game for Galatasaray this season.

Love Ryan Babel though.

Excellent post, he wants to continue playing for Holland, the he will have to prove himself, fitness, performances, goals etc.   

HillingdonFFC

Italian or Italy based Fulham fan on Twitter (Fulham Italy) mentioned we should check out Christian Kouame from Fiorentina, not sure how good he is but looks exactly the type of player we need. Pace & strength & versatile

sunburywhite

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 08, 2021, 11:58:27 AM
Italian or Italy based Fulham fan on Twitter (Fulham Italy) mentioned we should check out Christian Kouame from Fiorentina, not sure how good he is but looks exactly the type of player we need. Pace & strength & versatile

1 goal in 13 games is hardly prolific
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

We Are Premier League

Looks like we have a good relationship with Southampton given the deals in the recent years; sign Lemina and take Redmond on Loan to buy? Not getting games with them atm and he started his career as an inverted RW in Norwich...can't believe he's only 26(!) feels like he has been around forever.

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: We Are Premier League on January 08, 2021, 12:18:02 PM
Looks like we have a good relationship with Southampton given the deals in the recent years; sign Lemina and take Redmond on Loan to buy? Not getting games with them atm and he started his career as an inverted RW in Norwich...can't believe he's only 26(!) feels like he has been around forever.
Redmond is class when he's on form. Can score goals. Good shout

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Slaphead in Qatar

Hope not - his stats show he scores the odd goal when he feels like it

JimOG

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on January 08, 2021, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: We Are Premier League on January 08, 2021, 12:18:02 PM
Redmond is class when he's on form. Can score goals. Good shout

Again not prolific by any means but a fine footballer. Transfermkt has him at €18 mill. None of us knows the where we stand with FFP but the priority is to get a striker with a a good recent record. Ighalo got a mention on TTI

Denzil Dexter

Could do a lot worse than Ighalo and Redmond

Radiowhite

Lots of people seem to think stats are the most important feature in signing a player, especially how many goals they have scored in a certain number of games. This is important, but I think it more important a player has the necessary traits, pace, physicality, composure etc. From there if you trust their ability and put them in a good system good performances will come. Lookman is a good example of this, he's never had a brilliant scoring record, but I think we would all say is by far our best attacker. The elusive 15-20 goal a season premier league striker is so hard to come by, especially in January, and then even more so when he are battling relegation, that it is not what we should be setting our sights on. So when referencing players I don't think it is best to always simply come back with their goal scoring records elsewhere without ever having watched them play

rebel

Quote from: Radiowhite on January 08, 2021, 01:08:05 PM
Lots of people seem to think stats are the most important feature in signing a player, especially how many goals they have scored in a certain number of games. This is important, but I think it more important a player has the necessary traits, pace, physicality, composure etc. From there if you trust their ability and put them in a good system good performances will come. Lookman is a good example of this, he's never had a brilliant scoring record, but I think we would all say is by far our best attacker. The elusive 15-20 goal a season premier league striker is so hard to come by, especially in January, and then even more so when he are battling relegation, that it is not what we should be setting our sights on. So when referencing players I don't think it is best to always simply come back with their goal scoring records elsewhere without ever having watched them play

That's all correct. But if you don't have a stats backed goal scorer, all you will be doing is adding 'more of the same' which we already have in the squad, we are still lacking goals.   

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 08, 2021, 12:30:24 PM

Bit like Saha before we signed him then, about 5 in 50 odd for Metz & one in 11 for Newcastle
Don't think we're going to be able to attract someone who's a goal in every 2-3 games. This fella can play wide too. Just think we need some pace & mobility up top, but agree his goalscoring record looks a bit iffy

river phoenix

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 08, 2021, 12:03:56 PM

Look at Saha goal ratio before he joined Fulham.

Edit: just saw Hillingdon and Radiowhite said exactly this.

Radiowhite

Quote from: river phoenix on January 08, 2021, 02:16:15 PM

Edit: just saw Hillingdon said exactly this.
This is my point as above ^

river phoenix

Quote from: Radiowhite on January 08, 2021, 02:17:57 PM
Quote from: river phoenix on January 08, 2021, 02:16:15 PM

Edit: just saw Hillingdon said exactly this.
This is my point as above ^

0001.jpeg

Arthur

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 08, 2021, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 08, 2021, 12:30:24 PM

Bit like Saha before we signed him then, about 5 in 50 odd for Metz & one in 11 for Newcastle
Don't think we're going to able to be attract someone who's a goal in every 2-3 games. This fella can play wide too. Just think we need some pace & mobility up top, but agree his goalscoring record looks a bit iffy

Agree that we won't be buying someone whose scoring rate at the highest level is anything to get too excited about. I don't know of Kouame at all, so it's certainly tempting to think he could turn out to be another Saha. On the other hand, he could just as easily have a more difficult introduction like, say, Cutrone had at Wolves. Having scored just 2 in 12 in the opening months of last season, Cutrone spent all of 2020 back in Italy - on loan, as it happens, at Fiorentina. It's also worth noting that though Saha was high scoring for us in his first season, this was in the Championship. He wasn't anything like as prolific in our first season in the P.L. (8 goals in 36 league games so the statistics tell me).

With potential targets with P.L. experience seemingly thin on the ground, we may well have to look abroad. As an immediate short-term fix, however, a player with no previous P.L. experience will be a big gamble, in my opinion.

Jim©

I mentioned Boulaye Dia from Reims a month or two ago, but see hes' now being linked with other teams. Would be a good, cheap (relatively) option who I really believe would score goals. 10 in 16 this season.

Maidstone Lee

Knockaert staying at Forest until the end of the season.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Deeping_white

Quote from: rebel on January 08, 2021, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: Radiowhite on January 08, 2021, 01:08:05 PM

That's all correct. But if you don't have a stats backed goal scorer, all you will be doing is adding 'more of the same' which we already have in the squad, we are still lacking goals.   

But anyone with decent stats on a basic goals per game level is unaffordable to us at the best of times, let alone in January when we're fighting relegation. There's nobody available with amazing goal scoring stats at this level that's currently in budget and available? Nobody really proficient is going to want to join us at the best of times, so you've got to look at proper strikers (as opposed to someone like Cav who plays CF but is a winger), decide if they're able to play as a lone striker in a team playing 5-2-3 suited to being a high pressing, counter attacking striker and try to convince them to join if they're fit and healthy and hope they score at a better rate than what we've currently got (which isn't that hard tbf)

gang