Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2021, 10:56:46 PM
Quote from: sarnian on January 12, 2021, 08:08:07 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2021, 04:23:23 AM
Quote from: Denzil Dexter on January 12, 2021, 12:08:53 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 11, 2021, 10:50:16 PM
Guess I don't care which players we get, as long as we bring them in ASAP.   

They need familiarize themselves with our players and our attack.   Hell...even Ryan Babel alone would be a good depth signing.  And he already knows the club.
I agree. Tony got the right defenders in but if he'd done it a few weeks earlier we'd be outside the bottom 3!

Who (out of the central defenders) do we think that we could have got in earlier in the window?

Are we suggesting that Tony Khan should have loaned in "Jochim Anderson" when he was a starter in the Olympique Lyon team for their first three games this season? Or our we suggesting Tony Khan should sign him after he realized he wasn't the Clubs Centre Back for the Season? Note, 24 hours after Anderson's third game on the bench for "Olympique Lyon", Tony Khan signed him.

Could we seriously have signed Anderson earlier?  I doubt it.

Are we suggesting that Tony Khan should have signed "Tosin Adarabioyo" when he was given the sixth homegrown player spot in the Manchester City squad? Or, after he discovered that they will Manchester City will only need five homegrown player's this season? Note, ten days after Tosin wasn't named in the EFL Cup team, and five days after ManCity recruited Rúben Dias, which ended his dream of playing for ManCity, Tony Khan recruited him.

Could we seriously have signed Tosin earlier?  I doubt it.

We could have recruited Kongolo earlier, but he couldn't have played earlier.

It amazes me when people criticise TK for leaving business until late in a window. Do they have any idea how the transfer system works. Nearly all deals are done late simply because players, clubs, and especially agents try and screw the best deals they can get.

It amazes me people think buying players early in the window is a good idea, when the eleven have Toby Khan has bought before the 25th July are some of his worst buys.

The complete list of the 11 players he bought and loaned between 25th May and 25th July is Fabri, Marcelo Djaló, MLM, Cisse, Seri, Piazon, Schullre, Cavaleiro and Knockaert and Martell Taylor Crossdale.

Frankly, Cavaleiro is probably the best buy out of all of them but even he is far from a bargain.

I challenge anyone to find another player bought early in the summer window since 31st Dec 2016 (not i'm not including Stansfield as he is in development). And, I challenge everyone to convince me that any one of those were in anyway good value.

Eleven Early Buys and Eleven Mistakes, why would anyone want to repeat that. It seems to me Tony Khan get criticised for 100% of his buys, because a) those he buys early are always overpriced and b) those he buys well are always late. I hope he buys the players he needs for next years pre-season in the winter deadline day.

I question your criteria i.e. 'I challenge anyone to find another player bought early in the summer window since 31st Dec 2016', was it a case of looking at the transfers, then setting the 31st Dec 2016 as the date? Tom Cairney is a good example June 2015.
The Khan's have owned the club prior to 31st Dec 2016.

jayffc

Quote from: rebel on January 13, 2021, 09:15:01 AM

They need familiarize themselves with our players and our attack.   Hell...even Ryan Babel alone would be a good depth signing.  And he already knows the club.
I agree. Tony got the right defenders in but if he'd done it a few weeks earlier we'd be outside the bottom 3!

Who (out of the central defenders) do we think that we could have got in earlier in the window?

Are we suggesting that Tony Khan should have loaned in "Jochim Anderson" when he was a starter in the Olympique Lyon team for their first three games this season? Or our we suggesting Tony Khan should sign him after he realized he wasn't the Clubs Centre Back for the Season? Note, 24 hours after Anderson's third game on the bench for "Olympique Lyon", Tony Khan signed him.

Are we suggesting that Tony Khan should have signed "Tosin Adarabioyo" when he was given the sixth homegrown player spot in the Manchester City squad? Or, after he discovered that they will Manchester City will only need five homegrown player's this season? Note, ten days after Tosin wasn't named in the EFL Cup team, and five days after ManCity recruited Rúben Dias, which ended his dream of playing for ManCity, Tony Khan recruited him.

It amazes me when people criticise TK for leaving business until late in a window. Do they have any idea how the transfer system works. Nearly all deals are done late simply because players, clubs, and especially agents try and screw the best deals they can get.

It amazes me people think buying players early in the window is a good idea, when the eleven have Toby Khan has bought before the 25th July are some of his worst buys.

The complete list of the 11 players he bought and loaned between 25th May and 25th July is Fabri, Marcelo Djaló, MLM, Cisse, Seri, Piazon, Schullre, Cavaleiro and Knockaert and Martell Taylor Crossdale.

Frankly, Cavaleiro is probably the best buy out of all of them but even he is far from a bargain.

I challenge anyone to find another player bought early in the summer window since 31st Dec 2016 (not i'm not including Stansfield as he is in development). And, I challenge everyone to convince me that any one of those were in anyway good value.

Eleven Early Buys and Eleven Mistakes, why would anyone want to repeat that. It seems to me Tony Khan get criticised for 100% of his buys, because a) those he buys early are always overpriced and b) those he buys well are always late. I hope he buys the players he needs for next years pre-season in the winter deadline day.

I question your criteria i.e. 'I challenge anyone to find another player bought early in the summer window since 31st Dec 2016', was it a case of looking at the transfers, then setting the 31st Dec 2016 as the date? Tom Cairney is a good example June 2015.

Either way it seems people are suggesting the issue is TK, who actually took over his current role in charge of transfers, (as opposed to just advising as head of stats department) in February 2017 if I recall correctly.
Just in the interest of making sure were discussing the correct time period whichever way that skews things.

That said even saying...we got Cairney early...doesnt diminish the other persons argument completely- his point was buying early is no guarantee of a successful transfer...however as recently as this summer we also as mentioned, got Tete, Robinson, Lemina and Reed all in a way before the deadline  too. All who have appeared to be great upgrades and performed well. We dont do all our business late in the game, but in the instance of Joachim for example, we had wanted him all summer, and were told he was unlikely to be available...then found out late that he then was available for loan...and we signed him. And thank god we did.
We hadnt in that time been twiddling our thumbs, we actually tried to sign other CBs only for them to get Covid. Fortunately this meant come deadline day we ended up signing 2 of the best CBs I've seen play for us since Hangeland and Hughes.

So I'm happy wait, understanding that's how it is alot of the time for a club in Fulhams position, if it's with a view to signing the people we really want

rebel

Quote from: jayffc on January 13, 2021, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: rebel on January 13, 2021, 09:15:01 AM

Either way it seems people are suggesting the issue is TK, who actually took over his current role in charge of transfers, (as opposed to just advising as head of stats department) in February 2017 if I recall correctly.
Just in the interest of making sure were discussing the correct time period whichever way that skews things.

That said even saying...we got Cairney early...doesnt diminish the other persons argument completely- his point was buying early is no guarantee of a successful transfer...however as recently as this summer we also as mentioned, got Tete, Robinson, Lemina and Reed all in a way before the deadline  too. All who have appeared to be great upgrades and performed well. We dont do all our business late in the game, but in the instance of Joachim for example, we had wanted him all summer, and were told he was unlikely to be available...then found out late that he then was available for loan...and we signed him. And thank god we did.
We hadnt in that time been twiddling our thumbs, we actually tried to sign other CBs only for them to get Covid. Fortunately this meant come deadline day we ended up signing 2 of the best CBs I've seen play for us since Hangeland and Hughes.

So I'm happy wait, understanding that's how it is alot of the time for a club in Fulhams position, if it's with a view to signing the people we really want

It's always going to be a bit of a lottery, simply because players are human. The point is that the club has known for a few seasons that a experienced striker is needed. Leaving it till the last minute, when we have the most matches of any month in the season (January), is just 'pathetic'. It's not like we have the luxury of 'mid table'. There ia a 'urgent' need, they've known for sometime that a striker was a priority. The club would have identified 'targets' form the last transfer window, if some are still available, it seems pointless waiting for the last week, a whole host of things might mean we miss out again.

filham

Really this window is a bit of a joke ,here we are two weeks into the window and almost nothing has happened.

Perhaps it would be better with a two week window which would then be closing in the next couple of days and all teams could have a settled team for the rest of the season.

sarnian

Identifying players is one thing, getting them to sign is another. As explained to me by an ex agent it's logical that most transfers are last few day deals.

All those people moaning should put themselves in a player, agent or existing clubs shoes. If your the likes of Messi, Kane, Stirling etc you can pick which top club you want to go to. If on the other hand you are an good mid / upper table Premiership player who wants to move your selection of where you want to go gets more limited.

Say on day one of a transfer window a Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton come in for you what do you and your agent do. They are obviously going to wait until later in the window to see if better offers come in from maybe a Leicester or Everton etc. If it was me I'd wait and look for the best deal I could get at the club I thought was best. It's not rocket science it's human nature.

049:gif

Twig

Quote from: The Cravenette on January 13, 2021, 10:35:22 AM
Still no rumours then.......?

Not a thing. But then it's not like we urgently need a striker to survive is it? Because that would be a different matter surely.

HillingdonFFC

rebel

Quote from: sarnian on January 13, 2021, 10:27:51 AM
Identifying players is one thing, getting them to sign is another. As explained to me by an ex agent it's logical that most transfers are last few day deals.

All those people moaning should put themselves in a player, agent or existing clubs shoes. If your the likes of Messi, Kane, Stirling etc you can pick which top club you want to go to. If on the other hand you are an good mid / upper table Premiership player who wants to move your selection of where you want to go gets more limited.

Say on day one of a transfer window a Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton come in for you what do you and your agent do. They are obviously going to wait until later in the window to see if better offers come in from maybe a Leicester or Everton etc. If it was me I'd wait and look for the best deal I could get at the club I thought was best. It's not rocket science it's human nature.

The need for a striker has been known for a long time, since we were last in the Prem. So the club should be doing whatever it takes, they will have 3 / 4 that are on that list, so if they can't get number one target, then work through the list.

JimOG

clarkey

Look we are not getting anyone of note in this window. We have to use what we have.
Play either Kamara or Bobby up top and forget about Cav. Permanently.

There is simply no point in playing as your chief striker a non scoring utility player with very limited ability. So swop him, as with the game v QPR goals will come with people who score.Not with Cav. That is not his strength. He does not have one.

I Ronic

Quick question. Would any signing from abroad not have to self-isolate on arrival to the UK?

jayffc

Quote from: rebel on January 13, 2021, 11:25:15 AM

The need for a striker has been known for a long time, since we were last in the Prem. So the club should be doing whatever it takes, they will have 3 / 4 that are on that list, so if they can't get number one target, then work through the list.

And what if they get to number 5+ on that list and buy him.

And then last couple days if the window it turns out number 1 or 2 is now available due to the domino effect of transfers....

Now for the sake of 2 weeks weve got a player we wanted less , potentially at an inflated price, when we could have got a decent deal in our number 1 target. Never mind that as we negotiated a good price were now able to pick up that signing...plus another cheaper option that's become available because of the room weve been able to manoeuvre with our budget.

This has happened to our advantage before. Yes it could not happen as easily,but it has worked out for us before.

Just look at Mitro, that season we coulda signed any number of other players....last day of the window he becomes available due to a break down in his preferred move....bam we sign one of the most influential players that has played  a huge part in this club being where it is still and you were there jumping up and down singing Mitros on Fire at Wembley...had we jumped the gun early that window with  lesser target (and it was January I might add) we may we have never had those memories and may not even be back in the premiership.

There is literally no reason for the club to dilly dally for no reason and I have zero evidence to suggest thats what they do all the time during the first part of the windows...they say as much in every interview on it ever...there are always negotiations going on but they often dont get tied up till later.

That's not just because they want it like that it's just they are not the only moving piece in at all

We all expected more from Mitro than hes shown the last season and a half so it wasnt as desperate as were making out in hindsight...most thought we needed a good second option in the summer, now we all appreciate we actually need a new starter.

Anyway, gotta stop getting drawn in on all this every window. Its explained well enough as above from other posters every time

Have a good un everyone and heres hoping come the last day of the window were all excited about our prospects

jayffc

Quote from: I Ronic on January 13, 2021, 12:59:55 PM
Quick question. Would any signing from abroad not have to self-isolate on arrival to the UK?

Yes presumably...did they reduce it to 5 days yet? Or is it still 2 weeks?

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: jayffc on January 13, 2021, 01:10:33 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on January 13, 2021, 12:59:55 PM

Yes presumably...did they reduce it to 5 days yet? Or is it still 2 weeks?

They are part of elite bubbles so shouldn't have to self isolate

Statto

For context here are the players he signed late in the window.

Jozabed
Sigurdsson
Kebano
Johansen
Cyriac
Rui Fonte
Mollo
Christie
Mitrovic
Mawson
Bryan
Anguissa
Lazar Markovic
Chambers
Fosu-Mensah
Rico
Vietto
Nordvelt
Onomah
Arter
Reed
Reid

Plenty of shockers in there... a sizeable majority in fact. Probably only 4 out of 22 that a made a decent short-term impact and that's including Mitrovic who was a Jokanovic signing. 

MickTheBeard

People forget cairney,Mac Donald,steadman(who failed,but we got a million loan and sold him for a million,our American captain from Bolton who is know dropped due to age league and new recruits.Those 4 cost aprox cairney 3m Mac Donald 1.3m ream1.4 steadman 2m.If we had a full time dof they should have been sold for a profit after 3years and replaced,instead they have been given pay rises and now they are too old and know one wants them obviously the person in question doesn't run his fathers main buisness he would be skint.In Victorian times if the owner had 3sons the clever one would take over the firm when ready,the next one as not so bright would join the army as a officer the third one would join the church .I wonder where that would put tony.

Mince n Tatties

When I saw Rui Fonti play away at Ipswich,I thought we had a player there..But like lots of cases it went pear shaped..Where is he now?

fulhamben

Quote from: MickTheBeard on January 13, 2021, 04:29:12 PM
People forget cairney,Mac Donald,steadman(who failed,but we got a million loan and sold him for a million,our American captain from Bolton who is know dropped due to age league and new recruits.Those 4 cost aprox cairney 3m Mac Donald 1.3m ream1.4 steadman 2m.If we had a full time dof they should have been sold for a profit after 3years and replaced,instead they have been given pay rises and now they are too old and know one wants them obviously the person in question doesn't run his fathers main buisness he would be skint.In Victorian times if the owner had 3sons the clever one would take over the firm when ready,the next one as not so bright would join the army as a officer the third one would join the church .I wonder where that would put tony.
no dof  on the planet would have sold a 27 year old cairney who had just been voted best player in the championship and scored the winning goal at Wembley to get Fulham promoted.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rebel

Quote from: jayffc on January 13, 2021, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: rebel on January 13, 2021, 11:25:15 AM

And what if they get to number 5+ on that list and buy him.

And then last couple days if the window it turns out number 1 or 2 is now available due to the domino effect of transfers....

Now for the sake of 2 weeks weve got a player we wanted less , potentially at an inflated price, when we could have got a decent deal in our number 1 target. Never mind that as we negotiated a good price were now able to pick up that signing...plus another cheaper option that's become available because of the room weve been able to manoeuvre with our budget.

This has happened to our advantage before. Yes it could not happen as easily,but it has worked out for us before.

Just look at Mitro, that season we coulda signed any number of other players....last day of the window he becomes available due to a break down in his preferred move....bam we sign one of the most influential players that has played  a huge part in this club being where it is still and you were there jumping up and down singing Mitros on Fire at Wembley...had we jumped the gun early that window with  lesser target (and it was January I might add) we may we have never had those memories and may not even be back in the premiership.

There is literally no reason for the club to dilly dally for no reason and I have zero evidence to suggest thats what they do all the time during the first part of the windows...they say as much in every interview on it ever...there are always negotiations going on but they often dont get tied up till later.

That's not just because they want it like that it's just they are not the only moving piece in at all

We all expected more from Mitro than hes shown the last season and a half so it wasnt as desperate as were making out in hindsight...most thought we needed a good second option in the summer, now we all appreciate we actually need a new starter.

Anyway, gotta stop getting drawn in on all this every window. Its explained well enough as above from other posters every time

Have a good un everyone and heres hoping come the last day of the window were all excited about our prospects

What we also know is that the Khan's don't learn from previous experiences, 2 Prem relegation seasons, 3 managers in each season, back in the Prem, things not look great (yes things could change, but they need to effect that change - transfers etc) as we stand today.  If they recruit number 5, so be it. I bet all the big 6 / 7 clubs in the league go through that as well, they miss out on players who would rather play for Barcelona then Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. I doubt they think, lets wait 2 / 3 weeks etc, etc.

I'm going to wait until the end of the transfer window, lets see where we are.