watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Today was entirely about league survival

Started by 70sPimlico, January 24, 2021, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

I am reading all this "gutless" "not fit to wear the shirt" diatribe.

losing is sometimes about effort. No question. But You could see the team were giving everything.

Sadly for Hector & Ream, they had a thankless task. They are subs on the premiership but are a long way from the first team. Poor old Hec clearly needs games to gain confidence, with the pitch he was absolutely all over the place first half. You can't play a team like burnley and be so off your game. They won't give your back 2/3 any time and it just didn't allow us any time to get a grip in the match.

Tosin, Zambo, Bryan, BDR, Lemina & Onamah were there to get sharpness for Wednesday. I don't think any of the others will get anywhere near the pitch on Wednesday. I include Mitro.

Burnley's mix of 1st team and reserves is better than ours. In some cases, quite a bit better.

I like to think I've got a fairly level-headed view of the ability of our players. I don't think any are "crap", I don't think any deserve to be vilified and I believe they gave everything today. It just wouldn't work.

Ream will know his days are numbered. Hector probably realises his future is in the championship. Odoi is probably going to leave or stay depending if we go down. Kamara is championship or maybe Lique 1(and defintley not at the top in either) and Mitro. I read this stuff about Mitro that he doesn't care or is unfit. I think he looks like he's always looked. He has never defended from the front, playing in a front 3, he is just unable to do it. If he is the focal point and the defence is a bad premiership/mid upper championship, he can bully them. He is one of the best in the business at that. If the defence has his number and won't be bullied, he then looks a bit lost. Guys, we've seen this so many times. It doesn't mean he's not trying.

The one guy I can't call is Joe Bryan. I so want him to make it at the top but I just don't know.

Feel sorry for the guys today but actually it worked out for Wednesday. I imagine Reed will start but he knows Lemina is now back. BDR got minutes, Zambo & RLC got minutes, Joe Bryan got 90 as he will be playing and thankfully the cottage turf has 10 days to recover.

I, for one would have applauded them off

The Old Count

Good post. I hope it works out on Wednesday.

AJW48361

All dependant on a positive result Wednesday.

RaySmith

Good post - I'm  sure the players gave their all, just not collectively  good enough.

I always applaud a Fulham team off the field.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Too many of them have had insufficient playing time and that includes Rodak who looked terribly nervous.
OK. they all train together but that is so different to having the edge of playing time

filham

Don't really buy all of that. We fielded a team of experienced professional footballers, five of whom will have to play in a big match for us on Wednesday. they should have done better. At least , playing at home we had the right to expect a goal from them.

Black, White and Fred

We need to also take into account that Burnley made 9 changes to their starting XI and we only made 6 yet got absolutely outplayed
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

deadcowboys

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on January 24, 2021, 10:41:02 PM
We need to also take into account that Burnley made 9 changes to their starting XI and we only made 6 yet got absolutely outplayed

What Burnley did was play the conditions while we continued to play our passing game on a pitch that made it difficult. Plus of course our passing game meant passing to Burnley a lot of the time.

blingo

Milo

Confused personally as to Anguissa's inclusion as he's so important to us and I feel he's looked tired recently.

I would have rested him 100% and I think it's a mistake.

St Eve

Don't buy that at all. It actually hurts us to get a 3-0 thumping at home to a team struggling like us. A win would have boosted moral.

hongkongfulham

this is true but I do think that our system relies on individual talent to create whereas they rely more on a system. One thats been set for a quite a while too.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Milo on January 24, 2021, 11:17:04 PM
Confused personally as to Anguissa's inclusion as he's so important to us and I feel he's looked tired recently.

I would have rested him 100% and I think it's a mistake.

I agree with you. If the reports are true, he was one of the players who had COVID. His energy has not looked the same since the isolation period.

davew

Stupid OP sorry, too many points to disagree with except the ones that made me laugh were that "the players gave everything", did you actually watch the match? If they gave everything then maybe that says it all, move them on to another club if we can find one! As for applauding them off the field, I think a lot of our fans (had they been there) would have gone home long before the end. Somehow I managed to keep watching the match until the end, 1 of the worst performances I have seen by a Fulham side in many years and please don't forget we played a more or less Burnley B team. Perhaps you think we should field the same 11 again on Wednesday?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

70sPimlico

Quote from: davew on January 25, 2021, 08:03:15 AM
Stupid OP sorry, too many points to disagree with except the ones that made me laugh were that "the players gave everything", did you actually watch the match? If they gave everything then maybe that says it all, move them on to another club if we can find one! As for applauding them off the field, I think a lot of our fans (had they been there) would have gone home long before the end. Somehow I managed to keep watching the match until the end, 1 of the worst performances I have seen by a Fulham side in many years and please don't forget we played a more or less Burnley B team. Perhaps you think we should field the same 11 again on Wednesday?
I made what I thought was an honest assessment. I read your response and from what I understand you don't agree with is, that they gave everything. So, you think they didn't try? OK. Just think you're wrong. Michael Hector was almost certainly giving everything to prove he can challenge for a spot for the first team. The fact he couldn't put a foot right had nothing to do with effort.
If you want to boo and leave because of that, that's up to you. I personally wouldn't.

Your other response seems to be just saying they aren't any good. Well, is that not pretty much what I said about them realising that and their future is either at other lower leagues or with us, if we go down?
Except, again, I would hold that against them and walk away.

Was it a woeful? absolutely, it was a horrible performance but I am pretty certain that had nothing to do with effort.

As I said, for SP, the game served its purpose as it was pretty much entirely about Wednesday. I see a post above says he doest understand Zambo playing because he has been ill. Well, I guess that was exactly the reason he was played. To get match fitness (for Wednesday)

As for you walking out. From your posts over the years, you must be on a hell of a long protest as I would hazard a guess you haven't been to a live match for ten years. When did you last see us live?

davew

70s Pimlico, I am not on any protest!! You are correct I haven't been to a Fulham game in many years and my memory is not good enough now to remember the last time I went. Since the introduction of modern media and technology I have been able to watch every game that Fulham have played, always live when available to do so or on playback when not available by live viewing e.g. FFC TV. I think you know my background of being the Grandson of a well respected Director of FFC (died in 1968) so I have been priviledged to see hundreds of games over the years, many on a complimentary basis in the Directors Box and subsequently paying to see matches like the majority of fans. I still have the same passion about my Club as I did over 60 years ago, the fact that I no longer attend matches is irrelevant and I do not need to provide you with my reason(s) or circumstances in why I am unable to attend matches. This suggestion that people who do not attend matches are not true fans is rubbish! The thing we do agree with in regard to yesterday is that it was a woeful performance, I am sure I have witnessed many more of these type of performances than you over the years! Let's move on!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Whitestone

In answer to the OP I think there was a lack of effort from some players. I also reckon the manager thought something similar if his his post match comments are  anything to go by.

Obviously he's not going to say that outright but what do you think he meant when he said, "we fell short of the standards we are used to seeing" and "we couldn't deal with the long balls first and foremost". He also mentioned that we didn't win the many of the first and second balls. He also said that when you play a team like Burnley you face a battle and that you have to win that side of the game. These comments could all be related to a team that collectively lacked effort IMO. That's the way I saw the game. Burnley were far more committed than Fulham and the result shows that.

70sPimlico

Quote from: davew on January 25, 2021, 08:43:53 AM
70s Pimlico, I am not on any protest!! You are correct I haven't been to a Fulham game in many years and my memory is not good enough now to remember the last time I went. Since the introduction of modern media and technology I have been able to watch every game that Fulham have played, always live when available to do so or on playback when not available by live viewing e.g. FFC TV. I think you know my background of being the Grandson of a well respected Director of FFC (died in 1968) so I have been priviledged to see hundreds of games over the years, many on a complimentary basis in the Directors Box and subsequently paying to see matches like the majority of fans. I still have the same passion about my Club as I did over 60 years ago, the fact that I no longer attend matches is irrelevant and I do not need to provide you with my reason(s) or circumstances in why I am unable to attend matches. This suggestion that people who do not attend matches are not true fans is rubbish! The thing we do agree with in regard to yesterday is that it was a woeful performance, I am sure I have witnessed many more of these type of performances than you over the years! Let's move on!!
Agree, keep it amicable...but you did say you would walk out....so, I took a shot. Probably a cheap one. I certainly wouldn't question the passion for the club on anyone one on here.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Whitestone on January 25, 2021, 09:02:52 AM
In answer to the OP I think there was a lack of effort from some players. I also reckon the manager thought something similar if his his post match comments are  anything to go by.

Obviously he's not going to say that outright but what do you think he meant when he said, "we fell short of the standards we are used to seeing" and "we couldn't deal with the long balls first and foremost". He also mentioned that we didn't win the many of the first and second balls. He also said that when you play a team like Burnley you face a battle and that you have to win that side of the game. These comments could all be related to a team that collectively lacked effort IMO. That's the way I saw the game. Burnley were far more committed than Fulham and the result shows that.
Honestly, I just think he meant the defence played awfully. They did.

Anyway, lets just hope it all fits together for Wednesday.

Jim©

We actually made 8 changes from the team that played so well against Man Utd, not 6. They made 9, but Pieters played most of the game v Liverpool so a similar 8 really. We weren't very good but I took it as showing that their second string is better than ours. Which you'd expect when they've been in the Prem for much longer than we have.