News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What's the point of rebuilding the Riverside??

Started by Nick Bateman, January 26, 2021, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

One cannot see the financial sense for spending huindreds of millions on the Riverside yet allowing Fulham to go out of the Premier League with no transfer activity to help Parker strengthen the squad.

Mitrovic, for whatever reason, is in a rut and we desperately need a striker. I like Lookman and parker should never leave him out, but I see him as a support forward, not a target man. The likes of Danny Welbeck, Andy Carroll or Olivier Giroud would be welcome even on loan till the end of the season. Scott Parker did state he wanted all transfer deals done early, yet despite apologies from Tony Khan we've heard nothing.

Again, what's the point of building a first-class stadium when the team is languishing in the championship? We need action urgently!!

This pretty much sums up my feelings right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvrI3wy_TGk
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

The Old Count

It makes us more sustainable. The cost of developing the Riverside is not included in FFP. The income derived from it does.
Agree we need some action regarding forwards. Sadly, according to SP today, that ain't going to happen.

Woolly Mammoth

Something to do with FFP I would imagine which was brought in to stop clubs like Fulham from challenging the top 6 on a level playing field. The FA like to keep a closed shop. As for the Stand that is for another time, however they have to finish it now, I have booked one of the luxury apartments on the site for my weekend jollies, and when it is finished I shall look forward to using the communal swimming pool.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Old Count on January 26, 2021, 01:45:09 PM
It makes us more sustainable. The cost of developing the Riverside is not included in FFP. The income derived from it does.
Agree we need some action regarding forwards. Sadly, according to SP today, that ain't going to happen.

I think it is taking Scott a lot longer than he thought to explain to the owners son what a forward is.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

winterline

It's just for the Khan's to show off, "Look what we have! Isn't it nice?" at the same time ignoring the actual clubs performance and league it's in.

KJS

Southdowns White

If you want to remain playing with the big boys then you need to have the facilities, entertain those corporates who can afford to splash the cash every game and you have a stream of income to line up against your books. For those season ticket holders who can afford it there will be The 1879 club, choose between Silver, Gold or Platinum memberships or Platinum+ for the super rich. Order your champagne to be ready at half time, before or after the game sit down to fine dining from award winning chefs. At some stage it has to be built if your aim is to stay long term, whether you are still in the Championship is irrelevant, it is the intent that is important at our stage.
If you sit with me in the Hammersmith end the club rely on numbers of supporters to make their money, As a season ticket holder it cost between £20-30 a game for me (someone else can do the maths) I have a beer and sometimes food in the pub before a game. If the 1879 club has a basic entry cost of £1000.00 for a 5 or 10 year membership + season ticket cost + food and drinks in your designated club lounge it makes a whole lot more money. If you entertained in a corporate lounge with food and drink you are talking big money for the club. You may not fill it for a few years or even be in the premiership but it will come and when it does you can start to bring the money in.
Fulham will also make money on non match day entertainment and passing trade and bookings for the cafes, bars and restaurants along the beautiful waterfront, something other clubs would love to have.

PaulJ123

Jacksonville Jaguars have an unbelievable stadium but are the worst team in the NFL.

john dempsey

Statto

I've come to the conclusion that it's just a very expensive way for SK to apologise/compensate for TK

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

Whitestone

The old stand was not fit for purpose for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. I just hope there are some reasonably priced season tickets in it and that it isn't just a cash cow.

Cambridge Pete

I actually feel for the Khans. Since AlFayed purchased the club supporters have been serving up a list of demands, one of which has been upgrades to the stadium so that we have a better chance of staying at the Cottage. We need a defence, we need strikers etc.etc. the list goes on.  I am confident that TK and SP are trying to get a striker but with Covid, relegation battle, Brexit, travel restrictions, FFP it is proving difficult. Looking at the players we have and the way we are currently playing I'm a lot happier than I have been with many of the teams we have been offered in the 60+ years I have been a Fulham addict. We were all disappointed with the Burnley game as, I'm sure were SP and the Khans. So we dust ourselves off and get ready to go again. I still feel that we have enough to stay in this league, however, should we fail in that I will still be a Fulham supporter and look forward to getting back to the Hammy End. If that's to watch Championship football then so be it. I will look at the new stand and thank the Khan's for trying.

Whitesideup

I am reluctant to criticise without knowing the full picture. It could be that certain targets were identified and agreed with scouting staff and SP but then were not available. It could be that some of the available players were declined because the cost / quality option just didn't work - Josh King would spring to mind if he had been made available for say £10 million plus  a 3 year £4 million a year contract. I just don't know.

What I think we do know is that an established striker who is really going to make a difference, say Giroud (who incidentally I bet wouldn't be made available just now), would cost us an arm and a leg, particularly in the January window. And which ones would be willing to come to Fulham in any case? Six-month loan? Maybe.

FulhamStu

If we got a striker in today, it guarantees nothing other than more expense.  Of course I want a new striker like all our fans but I want the Riverside stand far more.  That is guaranteed to deliver quality facilities and build the clubs ambitions like a top class training facility does.  It also make financial sense as has been explained.  If we get relegated, we will need to be able to recruit to get back up, we will have a better base of players and with a few important new signing should be able to start the season without another total re- build.  I understand that the loaners will return and players like Andersen and Lookman will almost certainly be lost forever however that's football.

Somerset Fulham

It's staggering that peple are still trying to find excuses to complain about what can only be seen as progress.  It's going to look magnificent compared to that concrete shat hole that used to stand there.

The Old Count

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on January 26, 2021, 02:50:10 PM
I actually feel for the Khans. Since AlFayed purchased the club supporters have been serving up a list of demands, one of which has been upgrades to the stadium so that we have a better chance of staying at the Cottage. We need a defence, we need strikers etc.etc. the list goes on.  I am confident that TK and SP are trying to get a striker but with Covid, relegation battle, Brexit, travel restrictions, FFP it is proving difficult. Looking at the players we have and the way we are currently playing I'm a lot happier than I have been with many of the teams we have been offered in the 60+ years I have been a Fulham addict. We were all disappointed with the Burnley game as, I'm sure were SP and the Khans. So we dust ourselves off and get ready to go again. I still feel that we have enough to stay in this league, however, should we fail in that I will still be a Fulham supporter and look forward to getting back to the Hammy End. If that's to watch Championship football then so be it. I will look at the new stand and thank the Khan's for trying.
Spot on.

Baszab

Bleeding obvious it's progress.... but that wasn't the point the OP was making

It is reverse financial logic to upgrade the stadium before ensuring (as best as possible) that the team can fill it by having the best chance to remain in the PL

Remember Darlington ?

Unless there is an alternative motive -  I have been involved with a few wealthy billionaires thru business and I can not see any reason, financial nor sporting, for the Khans to buy FFC?

filham

To us dedicated fans the need for a key player will always take priority over a new stand.
The chairman deserves a big vote of confidence for his commitment in investing in the stand.

Baszab

I see at Darlington this year in the new 27,000 seater stadium they have Tom Jones concert  - while the proper team plays at Darlington Rugby club in the 6th tier