News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What's the point of rebuilding the Riverside??

Started by Nick Bateman, January 26, 2021, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

It probably started off as a good idea and with ambitions of us being a top PL club or even a club that would be more or less a fixture in the PL. The truth is that this is unlikely and I hope SK's accountants carried out a risk analysis on all scenarios occurring, going to be a very poor return if any on his investment if we get relegated!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

hovewhite

It will make all the well off corparate punters happy and the khan's will be expecting all you well Fulham fans to be filling it week in and week out. Think the khan's are kidding themselves.

Somerset Fulham

Darlington built a 27,000 with a fan base of 2,000 and in what, League 2?

It's absolutely not a comparison.

70sPimlico

Maybe we could play at Bishops Park or Hackney Marshes?

You lot can sit around whinging, I for one, cannot wait to see it. Secures our future at our spiritual home. I'm as passionate about our games whatever division we're in. Now I'm older and got a few quid, I can't wait to go in there and do and a couple of lengths in the pool, have a large rum, maybe even book an apartment for a week and watch the whites in style.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Baszab on January 26, 2021, 03:52:05 PM
Bleeding obvious it's progress.... but that wasn't the point the OP was making

It is reverse financial logic to upgrade the stadium before ensuring (as best as possible) that the team can fill it by having the best chance to remain in the PL

Remember Darlington ?

Unless there is an alternative motive -  I have been involved with a few wealthy billionaires thru business and I can not see any reason, financial nor sporting, for the Khans to buy FFC?

Correct Baszab! Chelsea did something like this in the 70s, Ken Bates spending a fortune on "Chelsea Village" while the team got relegated - Matthew Harding put things right and proudly announced he would spend NOTHING on the infrastructive and all his millions on the team. He acquired the likes of Vialli, Desailly, Gianfranco Zola & Frank LeBeouf to name a few.

I side with the late great Harding.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

love4ffc

Quote from: 70sPimlico on January 26, 2021, 04:15:33 PM
Maybe we could play at Bishops Park or Hackney Marshes?

You lot can sit around whinging, I for one, cannot wait to see it. Secures our future at our spiritual home. I'm as passionate about our games whatever division we're in. Now I'm older and got a few quid, I can't wait to go in there and do and a couple of lengths in the pool, have a large rum, maybe even book an apartment for a week and watch the whites in style.

We expect a full review of the facilities once you have enjoyed all the new aminities that the Riverside stand will have to offer once you indulge yourself.  :wine:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Deeping_white

How has this turned into SK has an ulterior motive debate, he's literally just secured our future at CC for years to come and given us scope to potentially renovate the Putney and Hammersmith stands too. At some point you either have to knock a stand down and rebuild it or move grounds, because over time stadiums become worn out and require an upgrade, let's just be thankful we've got an owner who's sympathetic to our history and wants to keep us where we are with a nice new shiny stand to boot. Besides I'm sure he can afford some of the most creative accountants going to make the new stand look like it makes the club fortunes if other owners have used much more rudimentary measures to artificially beat FFP

Penfold

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 26, 2021, 04:15:53 PM

It is reverse financial logic to upgrade the stadium before ensuring (as best as possible) that the team can fill it by having the best chance to remain in the PL

Remember Darlington ?

Unless there is an alternative motive -  I have been involved with a few wealthy billionaires thru business and I can not see any reason, financial nor sporting, for the Khans to buy FFC?

Correct Baszab! Chelsea did something like this in the 70s, Ken Bates spending a fortune on "Chelsea Village" while the team got relegated - Matthew Harding put things right and proudly announced he would spend NOTHING on the infrastructive and all his millions on the team. He acquired the likes of Vialli, Desailly, Gianfranco Zola & Frank LeBeouf to name a few.

I think you will find that the Chelsea Village was conceived in the 1990s as Stamford Bridge was owned by the same property developers that owned Craven Cottage. If you pop down to that bit of Fulham, you will also see that the Chelsea Village project was completed.

Baszab

That was Marler Estates

But NB is right, Harding ploughed his money into the team

Bates definitely had ulterior motives

HobGoblin

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 26, 2021, 03:10:05 PM
I am reluctant to criticise without knowing the full picture. It could be that certain targets were identified and agreed with scouting staff and SP but then were not available. It could be that some of the available players were declined because the cost / quality option just didn't work - Josh King would spring to mind if he had been made available for say £10 million plus  a 3 year £4 million a year contract. I just don't know.

What I think we do know is that an established striker who is really going to make a difference, say Giroud (who incidentally I bet wouldn't be made available just now), would cost us an arm and a leg, particularly in the January window. And which ones would be willing to come to Fulham in any case? Six-month loan? Maybe.

Well said matey

sarnian

Quote from: Baszab on January 26, 2021, 04:35:07 PM
That was Marler Estates

But NB is right, Harding ploughed his money into the team

Bates definitely had ulterior motives

Yes but in those days there was no FFP.  The new stand will bring in non football revenue that can be invested in the squad.

Baszab

mrmicawbers

Give the Khan's some credit.Building the stand doesn't stop us buying new players and does effect FFP in the sense that what the stand brings in financially can go on buying players.The rental on the rental apartments alone could potentially bring in over a million profit on there own.What's not to like?

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Baszab on January 26, 2021, 07:54:57 PM
Like Tom Jones at Darlington ?

Why do you keep repeating this? I don't understand where you're drawing the comparisons from.

HillingdonFFC

When I read stuff like this it makes me want to bang my head against the wall in exasperation. We've got one of, if not the best positioned grounds in the UK. We're in one of the most affluent areas in the world & we had a crappy early 70s, no longer fit for purpose stand that offered hardly any of the off field facilities & club of our stature needs in a stadium in 2021
It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on what we can spend on players or FFP & who gives a s**t if we can't sell it out in the championship. It's there for when we can

SP

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 26, 2021, 08:28:28 PM
When I read stuff like this it makes me want to bang my head against the wall in exasperation. We've got one of, if not the best positioned grounds in the UK. We're in one of the most affluent areas in the world & we had a crappy early 70s, no longer fit for purpose stand that offered hardly any of the off field facilities & club of our stature needs in a stadium in 2021
It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on what we can spend on players or FFP & who gives a s**t if we can't sell it out in the championship. It's there for when we can

:plus one: well said.

SG

Some of you lot love to moan. Moan that he will never build the stand because it would show commitment and then when he builds it moan that he shouldn't. He can't win as the owner. Spending money on the team and the stand are not mutually exclusive. I agree we need another forward but if we don't get one in so be it.
The stand will generate additional income to be applied towards FFP. As a riverside ST I can't wait to take my seat in it. If we then go onto develop the ends I will be even more proud of our stadium irrespective of the division we play in. Comparison with Darlington and the other lot are irrelevant. Circumstances today are fundamentally different from 20+ years ago

SG

Quote from: SP on January 26, 2021, 08:34:17 PM

:plus one: well said.

Plus two

Sting of the North

I agree, but think it was obvious this was a click bait troll thread, and as such no need to get upset. Surely no sane person actually believe this to be a problem in any way, shape or form.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 26, 2021, 04:15:53 PM

Remember Darlington ?

Or you could use Southampton and St Mary's as an opposite comparison