more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Press Conference: Scott Parker Pre-Everton

Started by WhiteJC, February 12, 2021, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Southcoastffc

Scott Parker says his players may have to "go back to basics" as we aim to become more clinical at the top end of the pitch.

Fulham fashioned 20 attempts on goal last time out against West Ham United, but were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw.

And when asked what factors need to be considered to improve that prowess in front of goal, Parker said: "I think there's elements of psychological, and there's elements of technical.

"The psychological element is you often find strikers are under the most pressure. And you often find that strikers or forward players are the ones who have real dips in form because there's that psychological element.

"For me, in my position, I need to keep a real level on it, and to be able to do that, I often find that you have to have some real basics to fall back on.

"When you're going through a little bit of a hard time in front of goal, you need some real core fundamental basics to fall back on.

"And that's my point to the team now, and it's not just the forward players and the midfield players, even the defenders. Set-plays as well; we need to be more clinical, we need to chip in here with some set-play goals, which we've not managed to do a lot of.

"But to be able to do that, you need to strip it all back and get back to basics, and hold your game on some real core fundamentals. Me sitting here trying to help the players, I need to weigh up both [psychological and technical factors] really.

"We're creating chances, now we need to work out where we can actually convert them."

Sunday pits Parker and his side against Carlo Ancelotti's Everton, and it's clear that the Fulham boss holds his Italian counterpart in the greatest esteem.

"He's a manager who I've got nothing but admiration for," Parker said. "He's had an incredible career, seems a real classy man, who goes about his business in a real classy and dignified way, very professional.

"I don't know him personally but that's the impression I get. And of course, to win what he's won over the course of his career speaks volumes, so he's someone I look to and admire."
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

davew

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 12, 2021, 05:18:16 PM
"When you're going through a little bit of a hard time in front of goal, you need some real core fundamental basics to fall back on."

That has to be the most ridiculous comment he has said this season, if he really sees it like that well he really hasn't been watching the 22 games this season, get real!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

A good interview by Scott, lets hope his strikers can come good and give him our first win away to Everton.

Think from what he said about Mitro and RLC they will be in the starting line up on Sunday.

b+w geezer

Quote from: davew on February 12, 2021, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 12, 2021, 05:18:16 PM
"When you're going through a little bit of a hard time in front of goal, you need some real core fundamental basics to fall back on."

That has to be the most ridiculous comment he has said this season, if he really sees it like that well he really hasn't been watching the 22 games this season, get real!!!
There are various reasons you might be saying that, so I don''t know whether I am contradicting you in the following or not. but.... nothing ridiculous in saying that we are underforming in chance conversion, or that over time that acquires a psychological aspect (people get ever more fearful of the consequences of missing).  So those two things make sense IMO -- are even statements of the obvious.

As for going back to the basics technically, if he means a return to intensive practice of individual techique in front of goal....then it's true that pro footallers ought not to need that years into their careers (and maybe that is why you find the idea ridiculous) but really what else can coaches diagnose right now? That and patterns of play approaching goal and set pieces (as he mentions). The last two things there ought to have been part of training all season, so agreed as ridiculous if they've not been.

davew

The key words were "a little bit of a hard time in front of goal" which is why I added it has been like that for 22 games!!! What does a little bit mean, I think that we have been very consistent all season in front of the goal which = all of the time!

RaySmith

Well, he's wants to emphasise how we've been creating so many chances, and have been well in most games, but just haven't put the chances away.

Going back to basics  I think of looking at why  you're missing certain chances - your body shape, positioning or whatever and  maybe  going over this in training, and keeping it i your mind, making sure you hit the shot keeping your body over the ball, not leaning back.

Obvious things every pro must know, but going back and practising those  things, remembering  them.

But i think it's a lot to do with confidence and composure, and luck too. I feel that once we  can put a few of our chances away in a game, we could  begin scoring more -  making the most of all the chances we create.

SG

Trouble is it doesn't matter what Scott says you Dave would criticise. You rarely if ever have a good thing to say about the club. Don't really understand why you bother to support the club

bobby01

Wellll, odd press conference on going to basics. The part I really have a problem with is we must chip in with set plays. We all season have been unable to take a corner or a set play. Remember theses are top flight professional players who are unable to cross a ball into the penalty area from the corner flag.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

The Old Count

Quote from: davew on February 12, 2021, 06:13:03 PM
The key words were "a little bit of a hard time in front of goal" which is why I added it has been like that for 22 games!!! What does a little bit mean, I think that we have been very consistent all season in front of the goal which = all of the time!
With all due respect I believe you're forgetting that, during these press conferences, our manager has to be circumspect in his comments because he has to manage his players' sensibilities.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bobby01 on February 12, 2021, 07:54:50 PM
Wellll, odd press conference on going to basics. The part I really have a problem with is we must chip in with set plays. We all season have been unable to take a corner or a set play. Remember theses are top flight professional players who are unable to cross a ball into the penalty area from the corner flag.
I think that's a little unfair.  Tosin has had 3 or 4 really good opportunities to score with headers from corners or free kicks but hasn't yet been able to capitalise on any of them*.  The balls in have been fine.

*although from memory Tosin 'created' an own goal by a Newcastle player who couldn't get out of the way of an off-target effort from a corner.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Sammyffc

I take high offense of him saying ' go back to basics ' when he literally is the epitome of a basic manager. We are absolutely terrible, he doesn't even start strikers and we haven't won in how long?. What can the players learn from Scott when he has as much experience as any other youth team coach whos been given the big job. Seriously.

davew

Quote from: SG on February 12, 2021, 07:45:16 PM
Trouble is it doesn't matter what Scott says you Dave would criticise. You rarely if ever have a good thing to say about the club. Don't really understand why you bother to support the club
Not strictly true SG, I actually like Scott and as for supporting the club well pretty difficult to change which club to support after approx 65 years! Think I posted about how well we played against West Ham recently when many on here did not.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Sammyffc on February 13, 2021, 07:51:54 AM

I take high offense of him saying ' go back to basics ' when he literally is the epitome of a basic manager. We are absolutely terrible, he doesn't even start strikers and we haven't won in how long?. What can the players learn from Scott when he has as much experience as any other youth team coach whos been given the big job. Seriously.

+1

I can't watch his press conferences as I get too frustrated.  No substance and all cliches and vague references to effort.

FulhamStu

I would be coaching Robinson how to cross a ball, that may help !

I Ronic

I guess most coaches would be concentrating on team shape, who's responsible for what and to a degree taking for granted that goalkeepers can save and forwards score.
His press conference isn't just aimed at us but also his players. I see it as, look I think you all know where you're meant to be, so let's take a break from that and the frustrations of results not going our way and just spend some sessions going through the basics.

FFC In Oz

Parker quote from the press conference on Fulham instagram page:

"The alarm bells aren't going, but I understand we haven't been clinical enough.  That tide has to turn."

The alarm bells aren't going because you've hit the snooze button Scotty, they've been ringing for more than a month!

FulhamStu

It's a good interviews and he dealt with the questions very well.

clarkey

I think Parker is the root of our goal scoring problem. He has seen the team under perform for a whole season in the Championship. Under Slavisa we had no problem finding the net, with an inferior squad to the one Parker has had. But the formation of the team, the ambition and the lack of decent dead ball routines etc all played a part in reducing the GOOD chances created. He is a very negative coach.Look at how many times we passed backwards or across the back four...awful stuff.

This year he had to get the defence sorted, and with help has done so.Really pleased with that and the attitude. But we do not spring into counter attack regularly, and we have some of the worst crossers of the ball in the league.Bryan and Lookman can cross, and Cairney of course but he is missing.We are told that Parker likes tappy tappy approach work but we look dangerous when Anderson throws in a long diagonal to Mitro or Bobby runs onto a Lookman through ball. Not a slow build up.

To score you need good chances and not play Cav as a number nine and expect him to slot in the half chances. He scores from sitters (twice) but a moving ball for him is impossible to strike.So this current line up will get more goals, if we get better quality balls more often into the box.We need to be braver, take opportunities to get the ball in, and make sure we have two men in the box when those crosses are thrown in.

To date this attitude has only held sway for parts of a couple of games and the last one. But it is not a consistent philosophy from  Scott-meister.

Look when Reid put in that brilliant cross at speed even Cav nodded it in.