watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zoom

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, February 24, 2021, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I wonder if there is anyone out there who may be able to offer a regular contributor any advice on a frustrating personal subject.
Throughout lockdown I have relied on Zoom for contact with my family but suddenly I am able to hear but others cannot hear me.
I have checked my mic and speakers using the test function and they should be working fine. Also my Settings are set to allow Zoom..This is my laptop with Windows 10 .
Has anyone any useful suggestions on what I have forgotten to check or could be causing this?

milis

Just a stupid question from my side, but did you perhaps accidentally press the mute button?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: milis on February 24, 2021, 04:34:44 PM
Just a stupid question from my side, but did you perhaps accidentally press the mute button?
or click the audio icon at the foot of the screen?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

J17

In Windows 10 there is also a 'Recorder' app. Try opening that and see if you can record your own voice. Im guessing your problem will be with Zoom if you can hear yourself in the test function.

Otherwise, try plugging in some normal headphones (perhaps ones you have lying around that came with a mobile phone), see if that works. You only have to get through a few months and then you'll be able to see them in person!

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I forgot to mention that the Mute button has not been pressed!

HobGoblin

type "Microphone" in the windows 10 search bar and go through that to check the device if it captures. You may have changed the default voice capture software to something else inadvertently. You should be able to check that via the microphone settings or if you search for "Sounds" then the recording tab.

Art Vandelay

This happened to my works Lenova laptop recently and we had to reinstall the microphone driver which was disabled after a Microsoft update, so this could be worth exploring.

MJG

Have you tested the mic is working without zoom being on?
https://mictests.com/
Just the views of a long term fan

Dodger53

It happened to me once and I had accidentally turned the volume down on a toggle switch on the side of my laptop I didn't even know was there.

Matt10

Many great suggestions here. I agree, the main focus is to isolate the issue. Figure out if it's happening outside of Zoom but testing on mictests.com or going directly into your sound control panel/properties and view the recording tab receiving mic input or not.

There are good support articles to reference as well. :

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-Testing-computer-or-device-audio

AJW48361

Just one look and my heart went boom.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Thank you all for your suggestions most of which I had tried. A Microsoft update was the most likely problem but no one suggested the good old basic solution.
I switched it off and unplugged it and twenty minutes later it is now working normally!
Now I only have Fulham to worry about!