watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2021/22

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 21, 2021, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitestone

Defensively Robinson was and is an upgrade on Bryan. Offensively I agree with other posters. Bryan offers a bit more.  Robinson will be a huge asset in the Championship. I hope we are able to retain the services of him and Tosin because a team with a good defence will always be in with a chance of success.

jayffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 05, 2021, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: jayffc on July 05, 2021, 06:35:06 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 05, 2021, 06:23:35 PM
To all the people saying they'd sell Robinson for £10m - what are we meant to do if we go straight back up? We'd be selling a PL ready asset and then having to get promoted and start from scratch, which kind of defeats the issue of a lack of continuity that we're trying to overcome. I appreciate his crossing is quite wayward but proper coaching can sort that issue, he's got the raw physical assets to be at worst a competent PL left back, and we'd have to spend at least the same amount we sell him for to replace him should we go up again

28 premier league games, 0 goals and 0 assists from an attacking full back.
I think we could potentially be OK to replace that contribution. Plenty of times last year that Aina actually looked the better of the 2 in that position. Not that I dont rate Robinson but given Bryan is a decent enough LB for now if someone were to offer us north of 10million who knows what other young and affordable options might be about there next year just like Robinson was last time out.

Aina currently rated at half that fee (5mil) on transfermarkt (obvs just an estimate, may well cost a bit more) Id be happy with that if hed be willing to step down to the champ with us. If we had a agreed to 11mil if we stayed up...perhaps something like 7 mil wouldnt be out of the question if they wanted rid. would leave us with 4+ mil to help towards other positions and replace Robinson with a player I rated over him last year.

p.s I appreciate that being a LB isnt just about assists or goals but as an attacking wingback it is supposed to be part of his game. Also would add I dont know that he's that much better defender than Aina either, just quicker

Transfermarkt fees are usually a load of shite, so I wouldn't pay them much notice to be fair. There's no way we sign Aina for less than £10m unless Torino are broke because why would they suddenly agree to sell him for less than the fee we already agreed on, and he probably wouldn't want to drop down a level anyway. Fairly certain he's on bigger wages than Robinson as well so by the time you've sold Robinson for £10m and replaced him with Aina for the same price assuming we could even get him, we're probably worse off from how much he's earning over Robinson because I bet he'd want a hefty signing bonus as well to drop down a level. I wouldn't really look at a g/a metric for anyone playing in our team last season, pretty much everyone was told to attack at the pace of a retirement home, and he was done out of a few assists by some pretty rank finishing

Robinson had plenty opportunities to cross last year and failed miserably...his ratios in that department also weren't that special at Wigan. Out done by Bryan consistently in terms of that metric.
That said I agree that hes better than Bryan defensively...mostly because of his pace.
Its not that I dont rate him at all but I would sooner have Aina personally from what I've seen. Can play left and right back well.

End of the day if wolves and man city are genuinely gonna come in for him (would be very surprised with the latter) we dont stand a chance of keeping him so realistically north if 10million on a 1m5mil investment is pretty decent and more than enough to reinvest in the next promising LB if we do our job well enough

As for the fee for Aina... 11m was on the premise that we stayed up which would assume  hed played well enough to play a part in keeping us up and making us that premier league money....given that didnt happen and they were willing to let him go on loan in the first place, he may be surplus to requirements and with one less year on his contract. Considering they bought him for 9mil and hes failed to nail a place down there it's possible they may be willing to part with just under what they paid if no one else will pay that amount. given theyd probably just loan him out again if not...even at 9million I wouldnt be mad at a potential upgrade to our Robinson in terms if actual output last year +1 or 2 million on top. There have certainly been worse trades imo

Happy to keep Robinson but replaceable imo. Perhaps hell mature and learn how to cross/ be better with a better team around him at a top club. A great athlete but if alot to learn in the final quarter

simplyfulham

Quote from: Whitestone on July 05, 2021, 09:45:32 PM
Defensively Robinson was and is an upgrade on Bryan. Offensively I agree with other posters. Bryan offers a bit more.  Robinson will be a huge asset in the Championship. I hope we are able to retain the services of him and Tosin because a team with a good defence will always be in with a chance of success.

He's not really. Robinson is quicker than Bryan which allows him to recover his position more quickly.
He was caught out of position on many, many occasions last year.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: jayffc on July 05, 2021, 11:00:55 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 05, 2021, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: jayffc on July 05, 2021, 06:35:06 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 05, 2021, 06:23:35 PM
To all the people saying they'd sell Robinson for £10m - what are we meant to do if we go straight back up? We'd be selling a PL ready asset and then having to get promoted and start from scratch, which kind of defeats the issue of a lack of continuity that we're trying to overcome. I appreciate his crossing is quite wayward but proper coaching can sort that issue, he's got the raw physical assets to be at worst a competent PL left back, and we'd have to spend at least the same amount we sell him for to replace him should we go up again

28 premier league games, 0 goals and 0 assists from an attacking full back.
I think we could potentially be OK to replace that contribution. Plenty of times last year that Aina actually looked the better of the 2 in that position. Not that I dont rate Robinson but given Bryan is a decent enough LB for now if someone were to offer us north of 10million who knows what other young and affordable options might be about there next year just like Robinson was last time out.

Aina currently rated at half that fee (5mil) on transfermarkt (obvs just an estimate, may well cost a bit more) Id be happy with that if hed be willing to step down to the champ with us. If we had a agreed to 11mil if we stayed up...perhaps something like 7 mil wouldnt be out of the question if they wanted rid. would leave us with 4+ mil to help towards other positions and replace Robinson with a player I rated over him last year.

p.s I appreciate that being a LB isnt just about assists or goals but as an attacking wingback it is supposed to be part of his game. Also would add I dont know that he's that much better defender than Aina either, just quicker

Transfermarkt fees are usually a load of shite, so I wouldn't pay them much notice to be fair. There's no way we sign Aina for less than £10m unless Torino are broke because why would they suddenly agree to sell him for less than the fee we already agreed on, and he probably wouldn't want to drop down a level anyway. Fairly certain he's on bigger wages than Robinson as well so by the time you've sold Robinson for £10m and replaced him with Aina for the same price assuming we could even get him, we're probably worse off from how much he's earning over Robinson because I bet he'd want a hefty signing bonus as well to drop down a level. I wouldn't really look at a g/a metric for anyone playing in our team last season, pretty much everyone was told to attack at the pace of a retirement home, and he was done out of a few assists by some pretty rank finishing

Robinson had plenty opportunities to cross last year and failed miserably...his ratios in that department also weren't that special at Wigan. Out done by Bryan consistently in terms of that metric.
That said I agree that hes better than Bryan defensively...mostly because of his pace.
Its not that I dont rate him at all but I would sooner have Aina personally from what I've seen. Can play left and right back well.

End of the day if wolves and man city are genuinely gonna come in for him (would be very surprised with the latter) we dont stand a chance of keeping him so realistically north if 10million on a 1m5mil investment is pretty decent and more than enough to reinvest in the next promising LB if we do our job well enough

As for the fee for Aina... 11m was on the premise that we stayed up which would assume  hed played well enough to play a part in keeping us up and making us that premier league money....given that didnt happen and they were willing to let him go on loan in the first place, he may be surplus to requirements and with one less year on his contract. Considering they bought him for 9mil and hes failed to nail a place down there it's possible they may be willing to part with just under what they paid if no one else will pay that amount. given theyd probably just loan him out again if not...even at 9million I wouldnt be mad at a potential upgrade to our Robinson in terms if actual output last year +1 or 2 million on top. There have certainly been worse trades imo

Happy to keep Robinson but replaceable imo. Perhaps hell mature and learn how to cross/ be better with a better team around him at a top club. A great athlete but if alot to learn in the final quarter

There seems to be a massive push by fans to buy some forwards for a complete rebuild up front for next season, in which case selling Tosin, Robinson, and Anguissa to raise money is absolutely essential. Personally, I think any rebuild will take a year to take effect and after two years we have to cut the wage bill by £750k per week. So a rebuilding plan is really a plan to get promoted in 2022-23 and if we don't get promoted sell most of the team to the premier league then rebuild again with youth for a four-year promotion push.  I don't think this is wise.

A better plan than a rebuild is to keep the existing squad (which is strong in defense and midfield) and bring in five loans with compulsory buy clauses if promoted. If promoted such a team only has to rebuild upfront. 
First XI: Rodak; Tete, Tosin, Mawson/Kongolo, Robinson; Reed, Anguissa, Loan AM; Loan RW, Mitro and Loan LW
Second XI: Fabri; Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Loan DM, Seri/Cairney, Onamah; Reid, Loan CF, and Cav/Kebano

From a financial perspective, it makes sense to have some permanent players plus a loan army. From a footballing sense, a loan army reduces the combinational strength of players so ideally, it would be better if we don't have loans all over the field (e.g. permanents in positions 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10 & 11 and loans at 3, 4, 8 & 9). It would be foolish to sell Robinson, because we need to ensure this yo-yo team keeps most of its defensive combinations together (with permanents in positions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 with some loans playing at 7, 9, 10, 11).

Tabby

Quote from: simplyfulham on July 05, 2021, 11:56:33 PM

He's not really. Robinson is quicker than Bryan which allows him to recover his position more quickly.

Having the pace to fix your mistakes is also a way to be good defensively though, it isn't like it is cheating. And we saw how it was against premier league opposition, the wingers aren't going to get any quicker or trickier.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Tabby on July 06, 2021, 03:05:08 AM

Having the pace to fix your mistakes is also a way to be good defensively though, it isn't like it is cheating. And we saw how it was against premier league opposition, the wingers aren't going to get any quicker or trickier.

The skill of being able to get back into a defensive position allows Robinson and the team to attack more. Robinson's pace is really important for any team pushing high up the pitch due to the huge risk of a counter-attack. Tete, Reed, Anguissa, or Cairney are more likely to get forward with fast players like "Odoi, Kongolo, and Robinson" behind him than with slower players like "Tosin, Ream, and MLM" behind them.

Whitestone

And Bryan was regularly caught out of position when we were last in the Championship. The pairing of Bryan and Ream on the left side that season was problematic defensively. Robinson, if we are able to retain him, will be one of the best left backs in the Championship next season. Tosin and Robinson on the left side is a massive upgrade on what we had last time.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Whitestone on July 06, 2021, 08:15:38 AM

And Bryan was regularly caught out of position when we were last in the Championship. The pairing of Bryan and Ream on the left side that season was problematic defensively. Robinson, if we are able to retain him, will be one of the best left backs in the Championship next season. Tosin and Robinson on the left side is a massive upgrade on what we had last time.

If Tosin is with us at the start of the season, I'm fairly sure he will play on the right. Kongolo and Ream left footed, Mawson also prefers playing LCB

Statto

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 06, 2021, 08:21:17 AM

If Tosin is with us at the start of the season, I'm fairly sure he will play on the right. Kongolo and Ream left footed, Mawson also prefers playing LCB

But Hector plays on the right and he isn't elderly or crippled like those three

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Statto on July 06, 2021, 08:44:24 AM
Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 06, 2021, 08:21:17 AM

But Hector plays on the right and he isn't elderly or crippled like those three

It will be down to Silva but if Kongolo is fit I imagine him and Tosin start

simplyfulham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 06, 2021, 04:48:32 AM
Quote from: Tabby on July 06, 2021, 03:05:08 AM

The skill of being able to get back into a defensive position allows Robinson and the team to attack more. Robinson's pace is really important for any team pushing high up the pitch due to the huge risk of a counter-attack. Tete, Reed, Anguissa, or Cairney are more likely to get forward with fast players like "Odoi, Kongolo, and Robinson" behind him than with slower players like "Tosin, Ream, and MLM" behind them.

Tosin is one of the quickest centre backs in the league.

Mullers OG

I hope to see Tosin at the club this season although I suspect he won't be.  If, as rumoured, there is a £10m buyout clause then many premier division clubs will be considering making a move.  Given that MC apparently have a 20 pc sell on clause the profit on his sale will be limited.  If anyone comes in then a young ambitious player will want to play at the top level.  It will be a shame for the FFC supporters but part of the fallout of relegation.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Mullers OG on July 06, 2021, 10:40:20 AM
I hope to see Tosin at the club this season although I suspect he won't be.  If, as rumoured, there is a £10m buyout clause then many premier division clubs will be considering making a move.  Given that MC apparently have a 20 pc sell on clause the profit on his sale will be limited.  If anyone comes in then a young ambitious player will want to play at the top level.  It will be a shame for the FFC supporters but part of the fallout of relegation.

The release clause expires this week. Either tomorrow or Saturday, I'm not sure which.

The Cravenette

I think we should also be taking into consideration that Marco Silva may actually IMPROVE these players and not regress them as has happened lately.  If Marco recognises Robinson's crossing is not up to scratch it is something that can be worked on surely?  You cannot coach pace but most other things, including defensive positioning, you can.

I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the current squad.

Woolly Mammoth

We need to hold on to Tete, Tosin, Bryan and Robinson.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

simplyfulham

Yes Bryan was caught out in our championship season, but he's still better defensively than Robinson. Both things can be true and are true.

Robinson is a decent player and his advantages are his pace and his ball carrying/dribbling. I'd like to keep him. It'll be good to have the two best left backs in the league on one team.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 06, 2021, 10:45:23 AM
We need to hold on to Tete, Tosin, Bryan and Robinson.

Yes and also Reed and Mitrovic.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 06, 2021, 10:41:33 AM

The release clause expires this week. Either tomorrow or Saturday, I'm not sure which.

It's tomorrow if the rumours are true, leaves no time for anyone to put in a bid and agree a contract, so we should be okay. Hopefully we'll ask for double the cost for any bids in the future.

70sPimlico

Sorry to jump on the transfer thread with non transfer news but just to give my view on above. One of our most frustrating aspect of our play last year was our use (or lack of) of attacking full backs. Our attacking tactics were so one-dimensional. Also, player development was so poor. Even Harrison, who was excited about playing for a player he admired started losing his mojo by the end. My view is that Robinson is an upgrade on Frederics but you weren't given a chance to see that last season. Good players started to naturally gel by mid season. It took some impressively bad coaching to then make them a worse team.
I struggle to remember a Fulham manager that has got less out of a team. Wins on Merseyside were proof of how good the team could be. In fact, the tactics were correct for those games in much the same way a faulty watch is occasionally right.

Jol, Magath, Dicks, Branfoot. Parker wins.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on July 06, 2021, 11:03:29 AM
Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 06, 2021, 10:41:33 AM

It's tomorrow if the rumours are true, leaves no time for anyone to put in a bid and agree a contract, so we should be okay. Hopefully we'll ask for double the cost for any bids in the future.

They don't need to have agreed a contract l. They just need to have triggered the fee