https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2021/22

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 21, 2021, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Quote from: Statto on July 24, 2021, 01:53:00 PM
Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on July 24, 2021, 01:41:51 PM
If Rodak gets replaced again, I will be very disappointed.

Agreed

Also people need to stop throwing the word journalist around so casually, mostly in reference to 19 year olds with <50 Twitter followers

99% of the stuff on this thread is going to be complete rubbish, like the various manager rumours. Probably including this Gazzaniga rumour.

Actually statto, if you looked before criticising you will see it is mostly accredited journalists.  I check before I post.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Statto

Quote from: bobby01 on July 24, 2021, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 24, 2021, 01:53:00 PM

Agreed

Also people need to stop throwing the word journalist around so casually, mostly in reference to 19 year olds with <50 Twitter followers

99% of the stuff on this thread is going to be complete rubbish, like the various manager rumours. Probably including this Gazzaniga rumour.

Actually statto, if you looked before criticising you will see it is mostly accredited journalists.  I check before I post.

Wasn't really aimed at you anyway though

filham

Quote from: Fernhurst on July 24, 2021, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: JEEVES on July 24, 2021, 02:24:39 PM
Would be lying if I said I wasn't getting excited but as a Fulham fan I know I need to be cautious.

Agreed, we mustn't mustn't get excited but just watched Harry Wilson highlights and my grandson said "with this squad we really should p::: this league 🎉🔥💪🎉 Think Harry is perfect for this (and if our ambition is attained) next season.
Agree, don't believe anything until it is on the OFAL

JEEVES

Would be lying if I said I wasn't getting excited but as a Fulham fan I know I need to be cautious.

Agreed, we mustn't mustn't get excited but just watched Harry Wilson highlights and my grandson said "with this squad we really should p::: this league 🎉🔥💪🎉 Think Harry is perfect for this (and if our ambition is attained) next season.

Fernhurst - I watched Wilson's Hatrick for Cardiff last season. Outside of the boot lefty to lob the keeper followed by 2 great freekicks. We're really missing a winger with that sort of finess. I mean Cav and Tony Knockers (especially) have been poor so I'm looking forward to his arrival. I feel like I may have asked you this before but are you from Fernhurst? asking because nowadays i'm just down the road in Haslemere

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on July 24, 2021, 06:23:01 AM
OK, so I know that a lot of people turn up their noses at all the advanced statistics and metrics that are now available, but some of them can be useful tools to help evaluate a player's strengths and weaknesses, and how their play can impact a game in ways that might not be obvious. There is a stat called "successful dribbles", which is when a player beats his marker and drives forward with the ball such that another player must then cover him. I believe that to qualify as successful, they must travel a minimum distance forward, which I think is 10 metres. Although it sounds like this should happen all the time with players all over the pitch, it is actually rather rare in real game situations in the Premier League.
In the 2020-21 Premier League season, Adama Traore led the league in successful dribbles. There were 2 players tied for 2nd; Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Andre St. Maximin. there was a sizeable gap separating those 2 from the following players, Sadio Mane, and then Marcus Rashford. Raheem Sterling was 9th in the league, and Jack Grealish was 10th.
The great value that a successful dribble contributes is that it can destroy the defensive shape of the opposition. When 2 or 3 players converge to defend a player dribbling the ball, that inevitably leaves attacking players unmarked. and although it doesnt always lead directly to goals, it definitely leads to goal scoring opportunities for other players. If a player is surrounded by others who can take advantage of those opportunities, the goals will come.
For those who think that Anguissa has occasional flashes of eye-catching talent, but no end product, I think they may be missing what a lot of professional football people can see; that he can consistently produce those high level performances in the Premier League and La Liga, and if surrounded by the right players, he can contribute greatly to a team's overall possibility of success. That's why they value him so highly in the transfer market.

Excellent stuff and a lot more detailed than I was trying to explain
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Ivorwasgod

i see that Gazzinga (?) - who may or may not be having a medical - is a free agent after being released by Spuds - surely worth a punt as a freebie - i agree we have limited funds to spend (unless we sell) so not #1 priority but as a free agent ? 

LC

Wilson was on my list of players to get this summer- very happy with this signing if confirmed.

We still need a centre back, (presuming Zambo leaves) then 2 midfielders and a forward.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: LC on July 24, 2021, 03:15:05 PM
Wilson was on my list of players to get this summer- very happy with this signing if confirmed.

We still need a centre back, (presuming Zambo leaves) then 2 midfielders and a forward.

I think CB is one position we certainly don't need. We currently have 8 of them!

Ivorwasgod

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 24, 2021, 03:18:01 PM

I think CB is one position we certainly don't need. We currently have 8 of them!

agreed well at least 6 depending where you class Odoi unless ive miscounted

Tosin, opuku, mawson, hector, Ream, Kongolo,

JimOG

My feelings too. I suspect this is cover not like Areola . Spurs let his contract run out & have signed anther cover keeper from Atalanta. I think Rodak is a brilliant shot stopper but I hope watching the Frenchman for a year has improved his kicking. He's not a natural in that department

Fernhurst

Quote from: JEEVES on July 24, 2021, 02:52:26 PM

Fernhurst - I watched Wilson's Hatrick for Cardiff last season. Outside of the boot lefty to lob the keeper followed by 2 great freekicks. We're really missing a winger with that sort of finess. I mean Cav and Tony Knockers (especially) have been poor so I'm looking forward to his arrival. I feel like I may have asked you this before but are you from Fernhurst? asking because nowadays i'm just down the road in Haslemere

Hi Jeeves
I know Fernhurst and Haslemere very well as I grew up and started work in Guildford, however my tag is due to the fact I was born in FERNHURST ROAD FULHAM.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Whitestone

Quote from: Ivorwasgod on July 24, 2021, 03:27:40 PM
Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 24, 2021, 03:18:01 PM

agreed well at least 6 depending where you class Odoi unless ive miscounted

Tosin, opuku, mawson, hector, Ream, Kongolo,

The only reliable centre back on the books is Tosin so I see what LC is saying. That said even Tosin had a wobble in the run in last season. Kongolo and Mawson are both decent but will they ever be injury free. Opoku is untried at the level so only the coaching staff know if he is ready for the Championship. If Hector can recreate his form pre-COVID, albeit he did have a decent game in the play off final he may be ok but what we saw last season was not good. Ream has some positives but there is always a mistake in his game whilst Odoi is not predominantly a centre back. Then there is Le Marchand who has been poor. I would hope from within this group Silva is able to mould a solid partnership. Think there are other areas that need addressing first but an area we would have to strengthen in the longer term.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Fernhurst on July 24, 2021, 03:40:27 PM

Hi Jeeves
I know Fernhurst and Haslemere very well as I grew up and started work in Guildford, however my tag is due to the fact I was born in FERNHURST ROAD FULHAM.

I was born in Haslemere in 1950
On my last visit to the UK me, my wife and my brother toured Haslemere
and a guy at the Cottage Hospital showed me the room where
I was born, although it was no longer a maternity ward.
Haslemere has an interestig link to the US.  James Ogelthorpe was the
Member of Parliament for haslemere and subsequently the first Governor
of Georgia USA in the 1670's. 
Interesting family things !! The bells at St Stephens, Shottermil hadn't rung for many years.
My cousin Terry Vale put speakers in the tower and the bells rang at his sister, Heathers wedding.
By coincidence, my niece has just moved to Haslmere

Caedal

"LEMINA LEAVES SOUTHAMPTON

Mario Lemina has joined Ligue 1 side Nice from Southampton.

The Gabon international was a big money signing for the Saints in 2017, but spent last season on loan at Fulham."

I was a bigger fan of Lamina than most, and am sad we weren't able to keep him. Glad he's gone to a Nice club 😉

JEEVES

haha wow amazing! I'm originally from Esher, born in Kingston upon thames but ended up here. Watched the euro final in the shottermill club which is about 100 yards from my house. Any way, I won't ask again now Fernhurst! Also these lot probably ain't got a clue what we're on about! On with the transfer news.. Any developments?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Most of my family lived in Cherry Tree Avenue and The Avenue (up Lion Lane)
I was there until I was 4 and we moved to Feltham.
We used  to play football in a field in Lion Lane, the slope was about 8/10 feet (if I remember)

sunburywhite

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 24, 2021, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on July 24, 2021, 03:40:27 PM

Hi Jeeves

I was born in Haslemere in 1950
On my last visit to the UK me, my wife and my brother toured Haslemere
and a guy at the Cottage Hospital showed me the room where
I was born, although it was no longer a maternity ward.
Haslemere has an interestig link to the US.  James Ogelthorpe was the
Member of Parliament for haslemere and subsequently the first Governor
of Georgia USA in the 1670's. 
Interesting family things !! The bells at St Stephens, Shottermil hadn't rung for many years.
My cousin Terry Vale put speakers in the tower and the bells rang at his sister, Heathers wedding.
By coincidence, my niece has just moved to Haslmere

Steeple Dorset
The American Connection
Agnes, heiress of the Washington family and ancestor of George Washington, the first President of the United States of America, married Edmund Lawrence, whose family (as did hers) originated from the Duchy of Lancaster. In 1540 the Lawrences moved to Steeple, while a descendant of the Washingtons, John, settled in Virginia, and became the great grandfather of George Washington.
The Stars and Stripes of the American flag were derived from the quartering of the arms of the Lawrences of Steeple and the Washingtons. These are seen in a number of places in St Michael and All Angels, Steeple. There is a stone memorial mural tablet over the east doorway of the north transept, another in the main porch and bosses on the barrel ceiling of the nave.

A later American connection with Steeple was during the Second World War (1939-1945), when British and American troops trained for the Normandy landings in the requisitioned Purbeck coast, when many Americans worshipped in the church o f Steeple; ahead of their fearsome ordeal.
In more recent years Steeple was presented with the Washington flag by the Mayor of Washington, which is hung in the church.
We give a very special and warm welcome to our American cousins and hope they will be interested by Steeple's historic connection with their first President.

The Washington quartering (stars and stripes) is derived from the marriage of Edmund Lawrence and Agnes, heiress of the Washington family. Their descendant was Sir Edward Lawrence of Creech Grange, whose initials with the date 1616, are on the armorial tablet at St Michael and All Angels Church, Steeple. The first President of the United States descended from the younger branch of [he Washington family whose arms appear on this armorial tablet.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

JEEVES

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 24, 2021, 05:24:56 PM
Most of my family lived in Cherry Tree Avenue and The Avenue (up Lion Lane)
I was there until I was 4 and we moved to Feltham.
We used  to play football in a field in Lion Lane, the slope was about 8/10 feet (if I remember)

Familiar with all of it. I've just PM'd you

Deeping_white

Mike Biereth has signed for Arsenal so that's why he didn't renew his contract with us then