Started by Friendsoffulham, May 21, 2021, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 26, 2021, 07:56:08 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on July 26, 2021, 07:06:40 AM
Quote from: The Rock on July 26, 2021, 02:43:32 AM
Quote from: Caedal on July 24, 2021, 05:01:44 PM
"LEMINA LEAVES SOUTHAMPTON

Mario Lemina has joined Ligue 1 side Nice from Southampton.

The Gabon international was a big money signing for the Saints in 2017, but spent last season on loan at Fulham."

I was a bigger fan of Lamina than most, and am sad we weren't able to keep him. Glad he's gone to a Nice club 😉

In the words of that Morgana show douchey fellow "adios amigo".

I liked Lemina tbh, and more so if we had a loan with a view to sign. But he was no Moussa Dembele. Next.

I liked him, pity we couldn't keep him, thought he always put in a good effort, with a good level of skill.

As for Zambo, i feel he is a bit of an enigma. He does have a languid style, which is probably deceptive.
but did he bust a gut in games when we needed every player to  bust a gut? in the way that Reed obviously did.

Well, I watched him play and I don't get the "he don't like it up em" type posts. I saw a player tracking back and winning possession. just checked the stats, which are readily available and on a per match basis, Zambo performs better than Reed on (tackles won, loose balls won, aerial duels won, blocks, interceptions)
Now, on top of that he has pretty stunning attacking stats. I guess we will lose him and we will be a weaker team because of it. If some of you judge a player on how he holds himself and runs round the pitch shaking his fist and geeing up the crowd, then you're going to be up in arms with Harry Wilson. God, what will you think of him?

Obviously a different type of player to Reed, but
Quote from: bencher on July 26, 2021, 08:15:55 AM
Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 26, 2021, 07:56:08 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on July 26, 2021, 07:06:40 AM
Quote from: The Rock on July 26, 2021, 02:43:32 AM
Quote from: Caedal on July 24, 2021, 05:01:44 PM
"LEMINA LEAVES SOUTHAMPTON

Mario Lemina has joined Ligue 1 side Nice from Southampton.

The Gabon international was a big money signing for the Saints in 2017, but spent last season on loan at Fulham."

I was a bigger fan of Lamina than most, and am sad we weren't able to keep him. Glad he's gone to a Nice club 😉

In the words of that Morgana show douchey fellow "adios amigo".

I liked Lemina tbh, and more so if we had a loan with a view to sign. But he was no Moussa Dembele. Next.

I liked him, pity we couldn't keep him, thought he always put in a good effort, with a good level of skill.

As for Zambo, i feel he is a bit of an enigma. He does have a languid style, which is probably deceptive.
but did he bust a gut in games when we needed every player to  bust a gut? in the way that Reed obviously did.

Well, I watched him play and I don't get the "he don't like it up em" type posts. I saw a player tracking back and winning possession. just checked the stats, which are readily available and on a per match basis, Zambo performs better than Reed on (tackles won, loose balls won, aerial duels won, blocks, interceptions)
Now, on top of that he has pretty stunning attacking stats. I guess we will lose him and we will be a weaker team because of it. If some of you judge a player on how he holds himself and runs round the pitch shaking his fist and geeing up the crowd, then you're going to be up in arms with Harry Wilson. God, what will you think of him?

I think with Zambo, even for his good qualities and impact, there is often a sense of how much more he could achieve. With Reed, you get the feeling he squeezes every ounce of impact he's capable of out of himself. The other real regret with Zambo is there is not enough end product. When he's on form, he uses his body incredibly well to win back possession, hold off players, take the ball and team up the pitch, but there are not enough goals and assists.

Exactly - I was making a point that he maybe didn't live up to to his obvious  potential, like RLC, whom I often defended on here.

I did say that appearances could be deceptive, and i was going to speak of a home game, though i couldn't remember the opponent -but it was home to Everton - when Anguissa and RLC seemed to take over the game in the second half, powering a great attacking display, where RLC scored, and we nearly  got a point, but sadly we didn't see that again, certainly from RLC.

Similar to Seri, at home to Brighton , when he helped along with Cairney, us to win a game in which we were two down at half -time. But we didn't see that level of performance again from Seri for whatver reason. Obviously, he has potential though.

But Anguissa was a lot more successful for us in the Prem than  Seri, but we, sadly didn't see the  outcome from his in terms of goals, though he often got himself in in great positrons, like RLC, and like all our forwards.

Shouting, and working hard,' busting a gut' for the team, like Reed, doesn't  necessarily mean a good player, but maybe shows a level of commitment rather than just a  being a solid professional.
Though, appearances can be deceptive, which was partly my point, and i do agree that  fans  can't always tell how committed a player is - most of them actually  do their best.

Tabby

Arter is a prime example of a player that gets overrated because he looks like he is working hard. Johansen getting dropped for him was a big slap in the face.

RaySmith

Quote from: Tabby on July 26, 2021, 09:35:03 AM
Arter is a prime example of a player that gets overrated because he looks like he is working hard. Johansen getting dropped for him was a big slap in the face.

Johansen was also that type of player too wasn't he? and obviously di a great job for Fulham.

I liked Arter too, with his  commitment and aggression, and thought much of the criticism was undeserved.
You could say that Kamara is similar - wears his heart on his sleeve, and Reed too, one of our most effective players last season.

You need those types of players in your team, as well as the more  thoughtful types, like Cairney .

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: RaySmith on July 26, 2021, 09:41:48 AM

Johansen was also that type of player too wasn't he? and obviously di a great job for Fulham.

I liked Arter too, with his  commitment and aggression, and thought much of the criticism was undeserved.
You could say that Kamara is similar - wears his heart on his sleeve, and Reed too, one of our most effective players last season.

You need those types of players in your team, as well as the more  thoughtful types, like Cairney .

Johansen is the better technical player out of him and Arter, better passing and more creative.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on July 26, 2021, 10:24:33 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on July 26, 2021, 09:41:48 AM

Johansen is the better technical player out of him and Arter, better passing and more creative.

StefJo also a goal threat from midfield too.  Had a knack of timing his runs in to the box.

Statto

Agreed and I actually would say at times Reed has been over-egged on the same basis. Although I do accept he has become a very good player now

bobby01

Kamara's 4£mill to aris salonika has broken down.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

jayffc

Quote from: bobby01 on July 26, 2021, 03:50:06 PM

Interesting that it seems hes on the way out though. Clearly Silva not impressed
Could have been linking up with none other than Kostas Mitroglue there! ha

IF we do get grimes it seems one of his main tricks in his arsenal is the long crossfield ball out wild. Looks like the Deep lying creative player who plays along the more Dogged CDM whilst still being fairly robust there himself. Loves to ping a ball out wide and move the attack forward quicker from deep so I suspect the wings are gonna see plemty of action this season. Sensible given Mitro seems to have the most success when we get to the byline with our wingers/fullbacks

Mullers OG

£4 million for Kamara?  Not surprised that transfer has fallen through. Grossly overpriced. Still it looks as if the club has decided to move him on.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Mullers OG on July 26, 2021, 04:30:27 PM
£4 million for Kamara?  Not surprised that transfer has fallen through. Grossly overpriced. Still it looks as if the club has decided to move him on.

He is probably worth £2m tops.  In all honesty I don't think Aris Thessaloniki offered anything near £4m for him. Their record transfer fee is £1.17m, second highest £900k and third highest £612k (according to Transfermarkt)!

junior white

Quote from: jayffc on July 26, 2021, 03:58:13 PM
Quote from: bobby01 on July 26, 2021, 03:50:06 PM

Interesting that it seems hes on the way out though. Clearly Silva not impressed
Could have been linking up with none other than Kostas Mitroglue there! ha

IF we do get grimes it seems one of his main tricks in his arsenal is the long crossfield ball out wild. Looks like the Deep lying creative player who plays along the more Dogged CDM whilst still being fairly robust there himself. Loves to ping a ball out wide and move the attack forward quicker from deep so I suspect the wings are gonna see plemty of action this season. Sensible given Mitro seems to have the most success when we get to the byline with our wingers/fullbacks
We need the money if the FFP numbers bandied about are to be believed, he has feature din pore season think he scored as well. So not sure if Silva isn't impressed but wants funds for elsewhere. Look at Wilson that now seems to be a loan with an obligation to buy rather than a straight buy so we must be pretty tight financially

Caedal

The FFP numbers that keep being quoted are for the season PRIOR to our premier league season. Last year we earn at least £130m from TV deals alone. Plus prize money. Plus parachute payments. There is no way we're in any danger FFP wise

junior white

Quote from: Caedal on July 26, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
The FFP numbers that keep being quoted are for the season PRIOR to our premier league season. Last year we earn at least £130m from TV deals alone. Plus prize money. Plus parachute payments. There is no way we're in any danger FFP wise
If thats the case then fine but I am not sure it is, especially if we look ahead and say we do not go up this season

HillingdonFFC

Guessing you haven't heard the podcast? Hope FoF mods don't mind? It'll explain why you are wrong there & why we are perilously close to the limit, hence the "creative" way we're going about recruitment.  Bloke is a good pal of mine & knows FFP inside out

Twig

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 26, 2021, 08:36:25 PM

Guessing you haven't heard the podcast? Hope FoF mods don't mind? It'll explain why you are wrong there & why we are perilously close to the limit, hence the "creative" way we're going about recruitment.  Bloke is a good pal of mine & knows FFP inside out

Yep, it's detailed and compelling.

RaySmith

Quote from: Statto on July 26, 2021, 12:22:22 PM

Agreed and I actually would say at times Reed has been over-egged on the same basis. Although I do accept he has become a very good player now

I didn't say that I thought Arter was better than Johansen - I don't think that, and don't know why he was dropped, maybe injury?

My memory is that fans  didn't rate Arter, certainly on here, though I admired his attitude and commitment, and also remember a couple of great goals, but I was certainly in a minority saying that.

Reed arouses similar  conflicting opinions, but I thought he played an essential role in the team, with his attitude and hard work, and putting in the tackles, just as Johansen used to, though not comparing him!

I didn't say that Anguissa wasn't a very good player either - just that he could appear deceptively languid, and also maybe didn't fulfil his potential, though i did say that this could be to do with the team set up, and playing for Fulham  against Prem quality players - which you could say about all the Fulham players maybe.

Statto

Why is us being close to the FFP limit always expressed with surprise and concern? We've got a multibillionaire owner who's trying to get us into the PL. We always have, will and should be spending as much as we can right up to that limit.

WestSussexWhite

2nd bid, a loan with obligation to buy will be going in for Muniz imminently according to the Brazilian journalist that broke the first story

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 26, 2021, 11:24:22 PM
2nd bid, a loan with obligation to buy will be going in for Muniz imminently according to the Brazilian journalist that broke the first story

Don't know much about him- but I welcome a risky young striker vs a dwight gayle type
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on July 26, 2021, 11:29:06 PM
Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 26, 2021, 11:24:22 PM

Don't know much about him- but I welcome a risky young striker vs a dwight gayle type

Looks like Boro are also after him, I would hope Silva's pulling power and greater wages might sway him towards us