watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bad choice of words I'd say Betts

Started by spoonffc, July 28, 2021, 09:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Gazzaniga our new keeper was in that position of third choice at Spurs, now I see that Joe Hart maybe on the move, perhaps before he is in the same position. Good luck to Marcus

Twig

Quote from: General on July 28, 2021, 10:23:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned Betts is the one player who owes absolutely zero to this club.

His dad is the GK coach, he's been with us through all the academy stages and his whole life (through his dad) has been defined by this club.

Not only that but he's not once kicked his toys out of the pram or kicked up a fuss going through being a first team starter to losing his place and being shipped out to Boro.

On top of all of that we as a club gave him no clarity on his contract and let it run down, which he mentioned in a interview post being released.

He gets to stay in London on a good contract and good wage and never got a chance in the premiership really under us. He gets to learn under the likes of cech and still has a while to go as a GK, getting chances we simply haven't given him.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. An immediate thought is that he will stay third choice and hardly get a game. But I imagine he has a different and perhaps more pragmatic and academic approach to being a goalie, and with his dad a good professional reputation and if anyone could upskill in that role, also given the fact he's 6ft 4, I reckon he could.

Let's be honest. There are better keepers out there. Areola was a different class to anything we've had in a long while and whilst rodak is young I think as he bulks out a bit he'll definitely have the ability but you can't begrudge a player like Betts the opportunity to go and play at Chelsea a club which simply is likely to have a better GK setup and where he can learn from a modern legend like Cech.

Completely agree

HamsterWheel

Sensible move. Unwanted at Fulham who prefer Rodak or an expensive loan. Can't blame him at all. He's only 29, still a decade between the sticks left. So can go and earn well on the Chelski bench or a few years then go and play again at Championship level.
Sincerely best of luck to him, he did his best for Fulham.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Twig on July 29, 2021, 09:53:34 AM
As far as I'm concerned Betts is the one player who owes absolutely zero to this club.

His dad is the GK coach, he's been with us through all the academy stages and his whole life (through his dad) has been defined by this club.

Not only that but he's not once kicked his toys out of the pram or kicked up a fuss going through being a first team starter to losing his place and being shipped out to Boro.

On top of all of that we as a club gave him no clarity on his contract and let it run down, which he mentioned in a interview post being released.

He gets to stay in London on a good contract and good wage and never got a chance in the premiership really under us. He gets to learn under the likes of cech and still has a while to go as a GK, getting chances we simply haven't given him.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. An immediate thought is that he will stay third choice and hardly get a game. But I imagine he has a different and perhaps more pragmatic and academic approach to being a goalie, and with his dad a good professional reputation and if anyone could upskill in that role, also given the fact he's 6ft 4, I reckon he could.

Let's be honest. There are better keepers out there. Areola was a different class to anything we've had in a long while and whilst rodak is young I think as he bulks out a bit he'll definitely have the ability but you can't begrudge a player like Betts the opportunity to go and play at Chelsea a club which simply is likely to have a better GK setup and where he can learn from a modern legend like Cech.

Completely agree

Seconded.

I hope Betts gets his chance, wins some medals and has a great time there.

He'll always be welcome back at the cottage.

Andy S

He never let us down and earned his opportunity to move to a bigger club for a couple of years. What was he supposed to say? I'm quite sure he will give Chelsea his best now. There is no loyalty from players it is about who S paying your wages.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 29, 2021, 01:10:47 AM
Quote from: Kiwimike on July 29, 2021, 12:40:55 AM
:plus one:

I totally agree with this - The guy obviously has a view of how to conduct his own career (or rebuild it after the demolition job this club did on him).  No doubt he also talked it through with his dad and others before the final decision. 
Posters on here need to get over their petty dislike/hatred/jealousy of other clubs - Chelsea are a bigger club than Fulham and obviously better run than us - their success over the years tells us that.

When did Fulham ever do a demolition job on his career? We gave him a bumper payrise when we got promoted back to the PL (30k a week for someone of his ability is bonkers), then had to drop him because he wasn't good enough, got relegated and made him #1 again only for him to drop a clanger in about 8 games running so we had no choice but to drop him AGAIN. He then gets another chance at a championship club as a #1 and makes himself statistically the second worst keeper in the league and gets dropped AGAIN. Face facts he was just never that good but got so much more leeway than many better goalkeepers we had during his time here because he was "one of our own". Will never forget the people booing Rico and wanting Betts back because they thought he was better, only for only for one keeper to be playing champions league football the following year and the other on the bench in the championship. He's a nice guy but a bang average GK and he's taken the easy option at Chelsea because it probably dawned on him that he'd be a backup at championship clubs at best if he didn't have that choice of being their water boy

A slight exaggeration ?

Deeping_white

Quote from: Fulham1959 on July 29, 2021, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 29, 2021, 01:10:47 AM
Quote from: Kiwimike on July 29, 2021, 12:40:55 AM
:plus one:

I totally agree with this - The guy obviously has a view of how to conduct his own career (or rebuild it after the demolition job this club did on him).  No doubt he also talked it through with his dad and others before the final decision. 
Posters on here need to get over their petty dislike/hatred/jealousy of other clubs - Chelsea are a bigger club than Fulham and obviously better run than us - their success over the years tells us that.

When did Fulham ever do a demolition job on his career? We gave him a bumper payrise when we got promoted back to the PL (30k a week for someone of his ability is bonkers), then had to drop him because he wasn't good enough, got relegated and made him #1 again only for him to drop a clanger in about 8 games running so we had no choice but to drop him AGAIN. He then gets another chance at a championship club as a #1 and makes himself statistically the second worst keeper in the league and gets dropped AGAIN. Face facts he was just never that good but got so much more leeway than many better goalkeepers we had during his time here because he was "one of our own". Will never forget the people booing Rico and wanting Betts back because they thought he was better, only for only for one keeper to be playing champions league football the following year and the other on the bench in the championship. He's a nice guy but a bang average GK and he's taken the easy option at Chelsea because it probably dawned on him that he'd be a backup at championship clubs at best if he didn't have that choice of being their water boy

A slight exaggeration ?

Well obviously but he was dropped after the 12th game of the season after committing errors that led to at least 5 goals.

KJS

Can't wait to see what reaction he gets if he plays at the Cottage for the Blue Poo

colham

Quote from: KJS on July 29, 2021, 11:39:33 AM
Can't wait to see what reaction he gets if he plays at the Cottage for the Blue Poo

I'd say default for any player who left on good terms.  Polite applause, then hammered for the entire game.  Its only fair.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Call me petty but I'm a bit annoyed he went to Chelsea. I would have hoped that after all the loyalty he showed to us (and the high wages he got from us in latter years) that he would have chosen somewhere else, I detest that club. Oh well, at least I won't be sentimental about him again.

blingo

You can't blame him for going. I for one wish him well.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 28, 2021, 09:58:01 PM
Although I love the club I have come from  I wanted a payday and a chance to play reserve football and with luck the odd cup game said new signing Bettyoubygollywow.

What else was he expected to say. Good luck to hum.
Exactly.  Glad he has found a club who will pay him a decent salary.  I am sure he would have preferred a No 1 jersey somewhere but his season on loan at Boro didn't go exactly how he would have wanted I am sure.  Good luck to the man, I, for one, will only ever wish him the best as he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke and always gave his all when he pulled on the shirt.  And I will never forget the Wembley flare!

bigalffc

Thanks Betts for your service to our Fulham family and dood luck for the future
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

filham

I will forget those final leaving words from Betts and just remember him as a loyal Fulham keeper who never quite hit the top with us.

Somerset Fulham

Does anybody know who he is reported to support? I have no idea, but I suppose there is a big chance it could be Chelsea?

Anyway, good luck to him, he's given our club a big part of his life.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on July 29, 2021, 12:11:39 PM
Call me petty but I'm a bit annoyed he went to Chelsea. I would have hoped that after all the loyalty he showed to us (and the high wages he got from us in latter years) that he would have chosen somewhere else, I detest that club. Oh well, at least I won't be sentimental about him again.

The club have hardly shown him the loyalty you're talking about, so why shouldn't he go there? Saves him moving house, moving his kids schools etc.
Plus, even with all the will in the world, you can't deny that their now one of the biggest clubs in the world. He'll probably learn more as a number three there, than he would as a number 2 with us.