watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bad choice of words I'd say Betts

Started by spoonffc, July 28, 2021, 09:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonffc

Chelsea complete signing of former Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli..

Bettinelli told the club website: "It's always been a special club. I know the area very well so it's been a dream of mine to come over to this side and it's finally happened. There were some talks a few years ago when I was a bit younger and for whatever reason that didn't come about but I'm here now.

Remember where you came from..

Blawarmy

Blimey you can go off some people quickly

Sgt Fulham

Oh well who cares. Obviously signing for the European club champions would be a dream for Betts. If that's not clear then you're kidding yourself.

Tabby

Wonder how much he has been stewing that he didn't get his "dream move" back then. Making up homegrown spots for chelsea is apparently a big honour.

SP

£20k a week for bench warming sounds too good to turn down.  Perhaps the odd friendly or League Cup appearance to look forward to.

H4usuallysitting

He'll be playing less football for them, than he did for us

Nero

Lighthouse

Although I love the club I have come from  I wanted a payday and a chance to play reserve football and with luck the odd cup game said new signing Bettyoubygollywow.

What else was he expected to say. Good luck to hum.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

General

As far as I'm concerned Betts is the one player who owes absolutely zero to this club.

His dad is the GK coach, he's been with us through all the academy stages and his whole life (through his dad) has been defined by this club.

Not only that but he's not once kicked his toys out of the pram or kicked up a fuss going through being a first team starter to losing his place and being shipped out to Boro.

On top of all of that we as a club gave him no clarity on his contract and let it run down, which he mentioned in a interview post being released.

He gets to stay in London on a good contract and good wage and never got a chance in the premiership really under us. He gets to learn under the likes of cech and still has a while to go as a GK, getting chances we simply haven't given him.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. An immediate thought is that he will stay third choice and hardly get a game. But I imagine he has a different and perhaps more pragmatic and academic approach to being a goalie, and with his dad a good professional reputation and if anyone could upskill in that role, also given the fact he's 6ft 4, I reckon he could.

Let's be honest. There are better keepers out there. Areola was a different class to anything we've had in a long while and whilst rodak is young I think as he bulks out a bit he'll definitely have the ability but you can't begrudge a player like Betts the opportunity to go and play at Chelsea a club which simply is likely to have a better GK setup and where he can learn from a modern legend like Cech.

Pluto

He has essentially retired from competitive football aged 29 so it's all a bit depressing from a career (if not financial) point of view really.

MartyFFC

Fair enough for him to come out with the usual guff about being delighted to sign etc, but to essentially say he's been harbouring a dream to play for Chelsea all along is going a bit far and is a bit of a stupid thing to say; the funny thing is it's unlikely he'll ever even play for them.......

Colton F.C.

Letting off a few flares would have added lustre to his statement.

Andy S

Kiwimike

:plus one:
Quote from: General on July 28, 2021, 10:23:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned Betts is the one player who owes absolutely zero to this club.

His dad is the GK coach, he's been with us through all the academy stages and his whole life (through his dad) has been defined by this club.

Not only that but he's not once kicked his toys out of the pram or kicked up a fuss going through being a first team starter to losing his place and being shipped out to Boro.

On top of all of that we as a club gave him no clarity on his contract and let it run down, which he mentioned in a interview post being released.

He gets to stay in London on a good contract and good wage and never got a chance in the premiership really under us. He gets to learn under the likes of cech and still has a while to go as a GK, getting chances we simply haven't given him.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. An immediate thought is that he will stay third choice and hardly get a game. But I imagine he has a different and perhaps more pragmatic and academic approach to being a goalie, and with his dad a good professional reputation and if anyone could upskill in that role, also given the fact he's 6ft 4, I reckon he could.

Let's be honest. There are better keepers out there. Areola was a different class to anything we've had in a long while and whilst rodak is young I think as he bulks out a bit he'll definitely have the ability but you can't begrudge a player like Betts the opportunity to go and play at Chelsea a club which simply is likely to have a better GK setup and where he can learn from a modern legend like Cech.

I totally agree with this - The guy obviously has a view of how to conduct his own career (or rebuild it after the demolition job this club did on him).  No doubt he also talked it through with his dad and others before the final decision. 
Posters on here need to get over their petty dislike/hatred/jealousy of other clubs - Chelsea are a bigger club than Fulham and obviously better run than us - their success over the years tells us that.

spoonffc

No i totally agree, being paid 20k a week to sit on a bench at the European champions is great and fair play to him, but to say he's been dreaming of doing so for ages whilst Chelsea are still technically our local rivals.. It's bit of a stupid thing to say - But also that his roots are so strong with Fulham, his dad's links and the fact he's literally been with us through his whole life..  It's a very very stupid thing to say..

Deeping_white

Quote from: Kiwimike on July 29, 2021, 12:40:55 AM

I totally agree with this - The guy obviously has a view of how to conduct his own career (or rebuild it after the demolition job this club did on him).  No doubt he also talked it through with his dad and others before the final decision. 
Posters on here need to get over their petty dislike/hatred/jealousy of other clubs - Chelsea are a bigger club than Fulham and obviously better run than us - their success over the years tells us that.

When did Fulham ever do a demolition job on his career? We gave him a bumper payrise when we got promoted back to the PL (30k a week for someone of his ability is bonkers), then had to drop him because he wasn't good enough, got relegated and made him #1 again only for him to drop a clanger in about 8 games running so we had no choice but to drop him AGAIN. He then gets another chance at a championship club as a #1 and makes himself statistically the second worst keeper in the league and gets dropped AGAIN. Face facts he was just never that good but got so much more leeway than many better goalkeepers we had during his time here because he was "one of our own". Will never forget the people booing Rico and wanting Betts back because they thought he was better, only for only for one keeper to be playing champions league football the following year and the other on the bench in the championship. He's a nice guy but a bang average GK and he's taken the easy option at Chelsea because it probably dawned on him that he'd be a backup at championship clubs at best if he didn't have that choice of being their water boy

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Good luck to him. I'm disappointed to see him go, I think he's a better keeper than Gazanenga or however it's spelt, but I dont run the club. I doubt he'll play any game of note, but like others I'll be interested to see how he gets on. 

mrmicawbers

Pretty standard stuff most players say when joining new club.Cheers Betts and thanks for the memories

General

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 29, 2021, 01:10:47 AM
Quote from: Kiwimike on July 29, 2021, 12:40:55 AM

When did Fulham ever do a demolition job on his career? We gave him a bumper payrise when we got promoted back to the PL (30k a week for someone of his ability is bonkers), then had to drop him because he wasn't good enough, got relegated and made him #1 again only for him to drop a clanger in about 8 games running so we had no choice but to drop him AGAIN. He then gets another chance at a championship club as a #1 and makes himself statistically the second worst keeper in the league and gets dropped AGAIN. Face facts he was just never that good but got so much more leeway than many better goalkeepers we had during his time here because he was "one of our own". Will never forget the people booing Rico and wanting Betts back because they thought he was better, only for only for one keeper to be playing champions league football the following year and the other on the bench in the championship. He's a nice guy but a bang average GK and he's taken the easy option at Chelsea because it probably dawned on him that he'd be a backup at championship clubs at best if he didn't have that choice of being their water boy

I think last year, when we shipped him to boro with just one year left on his contract and on loan we should've had the courtesy to let him know where he stood and tried to help him get a permanent contract.

Instead we just ran down his contract and didn't tell him what we were going to do until it was the end of his contract. He said he didn't want to leave but no offer came. On our release list the club said they were still in negotiations with Betts. Having seen Betts tell his side of the story in person on am interview, it didn't sound like he was making things up.

I think that is poor management of the player who's given the club a lot of his life when the courtesy to just say they don't consider him good enough last year would've given him a better chance to sort himself out career wise.

He's gone to Chelsea, which for him isn't a bad move in many respects although he won't get much game time and he was snapped up relatively quickly, but that's why I levelled the criticism towards the club, which I don't think is overly harsh.

Deeping_white

Quote from: General on July 29, 2021, 09:24:08 AM
I think last year, when we shipped him to boro with just one year left on his contract and on loan we should've had the courtesy to let him know where he stood and tried to help him get a permanent contract.

Instead we just ran down his contract and didn't tell him what we were going to do until it was the end of his contract. He said he didn't want to leave but no offer came. On our release list the club said they were still in negotiations with Betts. Having seen Betts tell his side of the story in person on am interview, it didn't sound like he was making things up.

I think that is poor management of the player who's given the club a lot of his life when the courtesy to just say they don't consider him good enough last year would've given him a better chance to sort himself out career wise.

He's gone to Chelsea, which for him isn't a bad move in many respects although he won't get much game time and he was snapped up relatively quickly, but that's why I levelled the criticism towards the club, which I don't think is overly harsh.

Sorry General my comment was aimed at Kiwimike's response rather than your own