News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Inter Sack Benitez - Would You Rather Him Than Sparky?

Started by White Noise, December 21, 2010, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benitez or Hughes

Benitez
Hughes

FC Silver Fox

Quote from: richie17 on December 22, 2010, 11:50:59 AM
This is really weird.   Benitez is one of the world's elite managers, won La Liga with Valencia (twice - when will that ever happen again) and got Liverpool one Champions League final and one runner's up position.    Mark Hughes is a decent premier league manager.    It's like being asked if you'd prefer a ferrari or a mazda.   And everyone's going for the mazda....

Do you want a clapped out Ferrari that will spend most of its time in the garage and cost you a fortune on maintenance and insurance or a fun Mazda MX5 that will give you an exhilirating ride on a shoestring budget ?      Smoke and mirrors, Ritchie. Its all smoke and mirrors.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Blingo

Benitez has achieved more than MH, but has been at it longer, and you don't win the champions league without being a good manager.

Now if MH delivered the F.A.Cup this season..............

richie17

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 22, 2010, 12:16:24 PM
This is really weird.   Benitez is one of the world's elite managers, won La Liga with Valencia (twice - when will that ever happen again) and got Liverpool one Champions League final and one runner's up position.    Mark Hughes is a decent premier league manager.    It's like being asked if you'd prefer a ferrari or a mazda.   And everyone's going for the mazda....

I never know what to make of Benitez. On the one hand he has been successful and won lots at Valencia and a Champions League at Liverpool.

On the other hand he continuously alienates players/owners of the clubs he works for - when the money dries up, so does his winning ability.

At Valencia he took aver a team that managed to get to two successive Champions League finals under Hector Cuper (meaning that they were seriously good anyway) to win two successive La Liga titles. He then floundered when the money dried up and famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" alienating his owners before being fired.

At Liverpool he took over what had been a mildly successful Liverpool team and, lets face it, fluked a Champions league. He never did any better than Houllier in the league and again finished terribly once the money had dried up agan.

At Inter Benitez took over from Mourinho and floundered. Yes he had injuries but Avram Grant managed to do the same thing AND guide them to a Champions league final. He then criticised the owner for lack of investment and was fired ( or was he?)

Basically, he is a better manager than Hughes but I doubt he would do much at Fulham without the financial backing he had elsewhere and with a relatively bellicose owner who does not like being criticised.

Wow, I really like that answer.  I guess this is now how I feel on the subject.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on December 22, 2010, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 22, 2010, 12:16:24 PM

I never know what to make of Benitez. On the one hand he has been successful and won lots at Valencia and a Champions League at Liverpool.

On the other hand he continuously alienates players/owners of the clubs he works for - when the money dries up, so does his winning ability.

At Valencia he took aver a team that managed to get to two successive Champions League finals under Hector Cuper (meaning that they were seriously good anyway) to win two successive La Liga titles. He then floundered when the money dried up and famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" alienating his owners before being fired.

At Liverpool he took over what had been a mildly successful Liverpool team and, lets face it, fluked a Champions league. He never did any better than Houllier in the league and again finished terribly once the money had dried up agan.

At Inter Benitez took over from Mourinho and floundered. Yes he had injuries but Avram Grant managed to do the same thing AND guide them to a Champions league final. He then criticised the owner for lack of investment and was fired ( or was he?)

Basically, he is a better manager than Hughes but I doubt he would do much at Fulham without the financial backing he had elsewhere and with a relatively bellicose owner who does not like being criticised.

Wow, I really like that answer.  I guess this is now how I feel on the subject.

I am glad you did because the pertinent details too all of 10 mins research on Wiki!

The Equalizer

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 22, 2010, 12:46:37 PM

Do you want a clapped out Ferrari that will spend most of its time in the garage and cost you a fortune on maintenance and insurance or a fun Mazda MX5 that will give you an exhilirating ride on a shoestring budget ?      Smoke and mirrors, Ritchie. Its all smoke and mirrors.

We'll see how much smoke and mirrors there are come the end of january... currently the jury is out and it consists of Henry Fonda, Jack Warden and Quincy...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc