News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Inter Sack Benitez - Would You Rather Him Than Sparky?

Started by White Noise, December 21, 2010, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benitez or Hughes

Benitez
Hughes

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11860_6606655,00.html

Benitez axed by Inter

Former Liverpool boss shown the door by European champions

Last updated: 21st December 2010 

Sky Sports News understands Rafa Benitez has been sacked from his post as Inter Milan manager after just six months in charge.

The former Liverpool boss was only appointed by the Serie A giants in the summer but has failed to impress during his time in Italy.

Benitez was handed the unenviable task of following in the footsteps of Jose Mourinho after the former Chelsea chief secured an unprecedented treble of the UEFA Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia titles.

The 50-year-old has seen his side struggle in league action this season and they are currently seventh in the Serie A standings, 13 points adrift of leaders AC Milan, although they do have two games in hand.

Outburst
Inter's defence of their European crown has also stuttered as they finished second in Group A behind Tottenham and suffering a miserable 3-0 defeat at the hands of Werder Bremen in their final group fixture.

A meeting with Bayern Munich, who Mourinho's Inter defeated in the Champions League final last summer, was on the cards in the last 16, but there will be a new man at the helm for that fixture in February.

Benitez was understood to be on borrowed time after his outburst in the wake of the Club World Cup success when he called on club president Massimo Moratti to back him in the transfer market if they wanted him to stay as coach.

Moratti has pointedly refused to stand by the Spaniard following his explosive comments and it now appears his patience has run out.

sipwell

Benitez: one word. No. If he can't do it with a multi-billion team, he won't be able to do it with a multi-million team.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Staffs White

cebu

I'd rather have Hughes.

P.S. Is the next Inter manager going to be Hodgson?

Jimpav

No. I'm not sparky's biggest fan but he deserves time. Benitez had gerrard - that was the difference.

SmithyFFC

To be fair Rafas consistent, hes taken the two biggest teams in England and Italy and made them mid table teams.
FTID

Hazey

Sh*te I hit yes by mistake for Rafa/.....aaarrrrgbgggghhhh
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

epsomraver

Perhaps he will go back to Liverpool! will they being singing his name on Boxing Day?

richie17

This is really weird.   Benitez is one of the world's elite managers, won La Liga with Valencia (twice - when will that ever happen again) and got Liverpool one Champions League final and one runner's up position.    Mark Hughes is a decent premier league manager.    It's like being asked if you'd prefer a ferrari or a mazda.   And everyone's going for the mazda....

The Equalizer

Quote from: richie17 on December 22, 2010, 11:50:59 AM
This is really weird.   Benitez is one of the world's elite managers, won La Liga with Valencia (twice - when will that ever happen again) and got Liverpool one Champions League final and one runner's up position.    Mark Hughes is a decent premier league manager.    It's like being asked if you'd prefer a ferrari or a mazda.   And everyone's going for the mazda....

Same with Sven Goran Erikssen - he's won just about everything there is, yet none of us want him!

BRING BACK TIGANA!!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Brede Butter Pudding

Benitez is one of the most overrated managers in my opinion, he brought in something ridiculous like 64 players into Liverpool during his time there and they STILL rely on two players to achieve, and without those two players they crumble. He's only been in the job six months and they've already seen that he's highly overrated.

richie17

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on December 22, 2010, 11:53:57 AM
Benitez is one of the most overrated managers in my opinion, he brought in something ridiculous like 64 players into Liverpool during his time there and they STILL rely on two players to achieve, and without those two players they crumble. He's only been in the job six months and they've already seen that he's highly overrated.

doesn't quite square with his track record though does it?  (eg. won 55% of games at Liverpool, including implosions - Hughes won 45% at City, which is the difference of 10 points a season - then you've got the trophies, which Benitez is miles ahead on, the success with a (relatively) small club in Spain when this is more or less impossible.   The media portrayed him a certain way but he's bloody good and miles out of Mark Hughes' league.

BalDrick

Good manager, to an extent, but will never swoop to our level.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

It's like being asked if you'd prefer a ferrari or a mazda.   And everyone's going for the mazda....

Maybe it depends on how clapped out the ferrari is.

AlFayedsChequebook

I never know what to make of Benitez. On the one hand he has been successful and won lots at Valencia and a Champions League at Liverpool.

On the other hand he continuously alienates players/owners of the clubs he works for - when the money dries up, so does his winning ability.

At Valencia he took aver a team that managed to get to two successive Champions League finals under Hector Cuper (meaning that they were seriously good anyway) to win two successive La Liga titles. He then floundered when the money dried up and famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" alienating his owners before being fired.

At Liverpool he took over what had been a mildly successful Liverpool team and, lets face it, fluked a Champions league. He never did any better than Houllier in the league and again finished terribly once the money had dried up agan.

At Inter Benitez took over from Mourinho and floundered. Yes he had injuries but Avram Grant managed to do the same thing AND guide them to a Champions league final. He then criticised the owner for lack of investment and was fired ( or was he?)

Basically, he is a better manager than Hughes but I doubt he would do much at Fulham without the financial backing he had elsewhere and with a relatively bellicose owner who does not like being criticised.

Burt