more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR (or is it?) London Ulez charges

Started by Kimbleman, July 31, 2021, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: Stevieboy on August 03, 2021, 09:29:16 AM
I don't think anyone who can afford a newish Range Rover will be troubled by ULEZ as they are compliant, spending £600 in Road tax would suggest that the surcharge would also be affordable anyhow.
ULEZ is not a tax that will affect the rich, and for those less fortunate Khan's advice of 'buy an electric car then' is just not feasible.
He probably came up with this nugget sitting in the back if his chauffeur driven, £400,000 5 litre V8 Diesel Range Rover which I suspect would have trouble getting into double digit fuel economy.

For those who can't afford an electric car... a bike, train or moving out of central London are all ways to save money

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on August 03, 2021, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 02, 2021, 02:39:34 PM
Quote from: f321ffc on August 02, 2021, 01:38:04 PM
I live in Devon and received a letter this morning from Transport for London with my vehicle registration number informing me that " your vehicle may not meet the ULEZ standards"
I don't understand why they have sent this unless they have sent it to every person that has a vehicle, so if I drive up to a game I not only have to pay the extortionate parking i now have the ULEZ fee, how long before they extend the congestion charge to cover SW6? Probably going to cost more to park than to buy match ticket.

I think we've had this conversation before....where in Devon
I'm in Shaldon.

I'm going to be your neighbour

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 03, 2021, 05:20:31 PM
I live in Devon and received a letter this morning from Transport for London with my vehicle registration number informing me that " your vehicle may not meet the ULEZ standards"
I don't understand why they have sent this unless they have sent it to every person that has a vehicle, so if I drive up to a game I not only have to pay the extortionate parking i now have the ULEZ fee, how long before they extend the congestion charge to cover SW6? Probably going to cost more to park than to buy match ticket.

I'm in Shaldon.

Welcome where here you moving  to?
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on August 03, 2021, 10:32:27 PM

I'm in Shaldon.

We're hoping to move too Teignmouth, trying for the end of this year, beginning of next....how long you been in Shaldon

Somerset Fulham

You've chosen a lovely part of the world, a move totally worth making.  :54:

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 04, 2021, 10:04:27 AM

I'm in Shaldon.

We're hoping to move too Teignmouth, trying for the end of this year, beginning of next....how long you been in Shaldon
Lived Shaldon about 8 years but have been in Devon 34 years best move we ever made.
If you need any information, house previews etc give me a shout, I take you know Teignmouth quite well.
My Daughter is area manager for your move estate agents so may be able to get help on upcoming house sales.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Statto

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 02, 2021, 05:04:06 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 02, 2021, 03:44:07 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 02, 2021, 01:46:04 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on August 02, 2021, 01:42:44 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 02, 2021, 10:08:33 AM

Surprised the mods haven't deleted the thread for clearly getting political. Also surprised no one is pointing out that ULEZ is surely fundamentally about stopping people driving 4x4s to the cornershop so we don't get all cancer from the smog it creates and to slow down the rate the planet is turning into a microwave. I generally criticise Sadiq Khan as much as anyone but won't complain about this. Look forward to the day, hopefully not far off, when you can't get inside the M25 unless you're in an electric car or bike

The same Sadiq Khan that jets off to Morrocco for a mini break?

They'll soon be charging full EV vehicle's congestion & ulez

So you are saying they're going to change the ULEZ standards so even a fully electric car won't be ULEZ compliant? Where did they say that? I agree that would be absurd

December 2025

That's the congestion charge, not ULEZ.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on August 04, 2021, 03:18:53 PM

Surprised the mods haven't deleted the thread for clearly getting political. Also surprised no one is pointing out that ULEZ is surely fundamentally about stopping people driving 4x4s to the cornershop so we don't get all cancer from the smog it creates and to slow down the rate the planet is turning into a microwave. I generally criticise Sadiq Khan as much as anyone but won't complain about this. Look forward to the day, hopefully not far off, when you can't get inside the M25 unless you're in an electric car or bike

So you are saying they're going to change the ULEZ standards so even a fully electric car won't be ULEZ compliant? Where did they say that? I agree that would be absurd

December 2025

ulez will follow, as night follows day

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on August 04, 2021, 03:09:45 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 04, 2021, 10:04:27 AM

I'm in Shaldon.

Lived Shaldon about 8 years but have been in Devon 34 years best move we ever made.
If you need any information, house previews etc give me a shout, I take you know Teignmouth quite well.
My Daughter is area manager for your move estate agents so may be able to get help on upcoming house sales.

That's very kind.....sorting out London first, then make the move - probably do a bit of cabbing to keep me out of trouble

Skatzoffc

Quote from: arnieb on July 31, 2021, 05:11:38 PM
Are you sure it's not the congestion charge you're liable for.I've got a 2015 Auris which is exempt from ULEZ but initially I thought I was liable but it was the congestion charge was what I was looking at as they're both on there.

agreed
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on August 04, 2021, 02:14:54 PM
You've chosen a lovely part of the world, a move totally worth making.  :54:

Hope so

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 04, 2021, 03:43:42 PM

December 2025

No it won't. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/cars

This is going to start happening more and more across the UK because we simply need to reduce the carbon emissions of vehicles, the blame shouldn't be aimed at Khan for trying to do that, it should be laid at the government for failing to offer support for people to move to electric cars. They should offer a subsidy.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 04, 2021, 04:47:34 PM

December 2025

This is going to start happening more and more across the UK because we simply need to reduce the carbon emissions of vehicles, the blame shouldn't be aimed at Khan for trying to do that, it should be laid at the government for failing to offer support for people to move to electric cars. They should offer a subsidy.

Anything tfl print is liable for change...we were told in writing no age limits on cabs, then they introduced a 15 year limit (nothing to do with the condition of the cab, then a 12 year limit, then you can only buy a £83k (with finance) cab.....tfl blow with the wind

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 04, 2021, 05:33:21 PM

December 2025

Anything tfl print is liable for change...we were told in writing no age limits on cabs, then they introduced a 15 year limit (nothing to do with the condition of the cab, then a 12 year limit, then you can only buy a £83k (with finance) cab.....tfl blow with the wind

Given it mentions carbon emissions and they don't emit it would be hard to imagine a scenario they include electric cars, more likely they would create another law for charge for electric cars, but ultimately Khan presumably supports people using electric cars so there's no incentive to charge.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 04, 2021, 10:14:49 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 04, 2021, 05:33:21 PM

December 2025

Given it mentions carbon emissions and they don't emit it would be hard to imagine a scenario they include electric cars, more likely they would create another law for charge for electric cars, but ultimately Khan presumably supports people using electric cars so there's no incentive to charge.

Nothing to do with logic.... it's money....matter of interest have you had many meetings with any of the tfl bodies

Statto

It really isn't rocket science.

ULEZ, as the E in the name suggests, is about limiting carbon emissions. So it will never apply to vehicles that don't emit carbon.

The congestion charge, again as the name suggests, relate to congestion, ie the level traffic making it hard for cars, along with cyclists and pedestrians, to enjoy central London. So electric cars are currently exempt, presumably to encourage the transition to more sustainable modes of transport, but they ultimately be brought within scope since an electric car can still block the road just like a petrol car.

Say what you want about Khan/TfL, the days of cars in cities are numbered.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on August 04, 2021, 11:08:09 PM

ULEZ, as the E in the name suggests, is about limiting carbon emissions. So it will never apply to vehicles that don't emit carbon.

The congestion charge, again as the name suggests, relate to congestion, ie the level traffic making it hard for cars, along with cyclists and pedestrians, to enjoy central London. So electric cars are currently exempt, presumably to encourage the transition to more sustainable modes of transport, but they ultimately be brought within scope since an electric car can still block the road just like a petrol car.

I agree....but tfl are involved

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on August 04, 2021, 11:08:09 PM

Strangely, the congestion charge causes more congestion - and tfl's LTN's & permanent road closures & road narrowing are causing more congestion..... it's also a tax on the poorest

mrmicawbers

Once we all go Electric,I can guarantee that we will be charged for using the roads,specifically the motorways.Probably not to far away now as the Treasury needs the money.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: mrmicawbers on August 05, 2021, 10:09:04 AM
Once we all go Electric,I can guarantee that we will be charged for using the roads,specifically the motorways.Probably not to far away now as the Treasury needs the money.
What about Hydrogen