watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How much longer with Gazzaniga

Started by Robert H., September 19, 2021, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert H.

This man is costing us points. I was at the Putney End yesterday, he just stood there and watched the second goal go past him. Why was not he coming out, spreading himself and attempting to stop the shot.

Gazzaniga appears to have poor reactions to shots low from inside the penalty area. Similar goals were scored against us by Middlesbrough - indeed almost identical to yesterday, and Blackpool. All, like yesterday, costing us points.

Whitestone

I think you should review the play leading up to the second goal from the moment Ream gave the ball away needlessly. So many wrong things happened in the build up before Ejaria had the opportunity to shoot one on one. Maybe he could have spread himself. Either way I would expect anyone in  Ejaria's  position to score from there. Yet here we go again it was Gazza's fault ! It wasn't. Likewise the goal against Blackpool came about because of poor defending.

H4usuallysitting

Not sure what he's done wrong.... he's let in 7 from 8 game's.... We're second in the league without being able to field the same 11 player's week in week out (injuries, red cards, internationals)...... Let's see where we are in 20 game's

Somerset Fulham

Why has nobody mentioned Tosin's part in this debacle?

filham

Really don't think Gazza should tank the blame forthose goals yesterday. In fact I think in his last two matches he has played well.

Sammyffc

this whole keeper stuff is SOOOOOOOOO BORING.

Gazza has literally done nothing wrong, people here always get weird over goalkeepers

we all had to endure it when betts was here, every other week ' BETTS SHOULD BE STARTING ' bla bla bla '

now its moved onto Rodak... and i guarantee its just the same people who did the same with Betts

Lighthouse

By all means criticise the keepers distribution or his command over his area. These are interesting talking points. But as for costing us goals? This is just ridiculous. So many very poor decisions and mistakes by the defenders. Especially for the second goal yesterday. Don't see why we single out the keeper.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Old Count

The OP's second post and it's to undeservedly criticise a player.
Welcome to FOF . You'll fit in nicely.

MartyFFC

Elements of his game are questionable, however I agree he's really not deserving of any blame

NewYorkYank

The repeated assertions that Gazzaniga has done nothing wrong is telling and damns him with faint praise.  The minimum required of a goalie, like that of a doctor, is to "Do no Harm."  Even assuming Gazzaniga has done no harm (Blackpool notwithstanding), then what posters are admitting is that Gazzaniga has done little more than that.  No one has suggested that he has made a single unexpected save, the kind Areola seemed to make every game last year.

This thread also seems to reflect the eternal debate concerning goalkeepers -- do you prefer the athletic shot stopper or the goalie who commands his area.  When I played as a CB almost fifty years ago, I always preferred the latter.  Case in point is Arsenal, where Ramsdale appears to have injected a huge does of confidence to the defense that Leno never did (Ramsdale actually catches crosses!).  I think Gazzaniga is on the Leno end of the spectrum in that regard.

I think the final factor is that, in my view, Rodak is a top notch goalkeeper who did little to lose his job.  He nevertheless lost it last year because Areola was, at least for one season, a world class goalkeeper.  Gazzaniga is not world class. 

AJW48361

I don't think he is a championship No.1 keeper

RaySmith

Not sure he could have done much for either goal yesterday, and, as said, his record  with us  is good, so far, although he can  look  anxious, and maybe flaps a bit at crosses, but is his performance actually that bad?

Obviously I have sympathy for Rodak, but presumably the manager knows what he is doing.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AJW48361 on September 20, 2021, 01:00:09 AM

Gazza, Rodak, and Fabri are all easily good enough to be the keeper in an Automatically Promoted Championship team. From what I have seen so far, Rodak was better two seasons ago than Gazza is now and Fabri was better five seasons ago than Gazza is now. I'm happy with Gazza, but Rodak from two seasons ago looks better to me.

blingo

If he's Silva's choice, that's good enough for me right now.

MartyFFC

Quote from: blingo on September 20, 2021, 08:51:40 AM
If he's Silva's choice, that's good enough for me right now.
Yep, I'll second that

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 20, 2021, 05:46:08 AM
Quote from: AJW48361 on September 20, 2021, 01:00:09 AM

Gazza, Rodak, and Fabri are all easily good enough to be the keeper in an Automatically Promoted Championship team. From what I have seen so far, Rodak was better two seasons ago than Gazza is now and Fabri was better five seasons ago than Gazza is now. I'm happy with Gazza, but Rodak from two seasons ago looks better to me.

Fabri joined 3 years ago and played twice... how does your comment make sense?

bobby01

I do not know how to transfer a reply I made on another thread, however.

The thing I have noticed about Gazzanigga is that he always seems to be flat footed never on his toes. I do not know if this is his style but I honestly cannot say I have noticed the same with any other keeper other than Jan Latusvka who seemed to dive in instalments.

Although the Reading goal was a very good shot to the top corner, he was on the flat of his feet not on his toes, and dived from that position, therefore he was never going to get the height or distance to cover the ground. It appears the same on the close range shots that beat him.

I personally will watch this more closely in upcoming games as it does seem a flaw in his keeping and maybe it's making him appear a reactive keeper rather than a proactive one.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

ALG01

I am not a fan of this keeper and think he should be changed but I cannot agree the second goal was down to him. The second ream played a ridiculous pass we were in trouble and the defence and moidfield failed to deal with it.
maybe the keeper could have done this that por the other but unolike at blackpool, I do not think he was in error.

bencher

I think some of the comments have assumed that there can only be one person to blame for a goal being conceded. In my view, the defence and midfield were all at fault for both Reading goals, but in the case of the second one, Gazzaniga ought to have done more. He did not come out, did not react to the shot at all, and while he may have conceded only 7 in 8 games, I don't think he's a good goalkeeper. In my view a good GK could have saved at least 2 of the goals we have conceded. For me, Rodak should be starting, and we will continue to drop points in some games because of PG. His failings have been masked by the forward players winning us games, but a good GK would have got us a draw on Saturday.

cookieg

Quote from: bencher on September 20, 2021, 12:12:11 PM
I think some of the comments have assumed that there can only be one person to blame for a goal being conceded. In my view, the defence and midfield were all at fault for both Reading goals, but in the case of the second one, Gazzaniga ought to have done more. He did not come out, did not react to the shot at all, and while he may have conceded only 7 in 8 games, I don't think he's a good goalkeeper. In my view a good GK could have saved at least 2 of the goals we have conceded. For me, Rodak should be starting, and we will continue to drop points in some games because of PG. His failings have been masked by the forward players winning us games, but a good GK would have got us a draw on Saturday.

And good forwards would have scored the many chances we had to have put the game to bed long before they scored.