A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joe Bryan vs Antonee Robinson

Started by MartyFFC, October 22, 2021, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do we think should be our first-choice LB?

Joe Bryan
Antonee Robinson

itombomb

Quote from: simplyfulham on October 25, 2021, 12:40:25 PM
Bryan is the better defender.  He edges it for me as he's a little bit better in more areas.

As a few have pointed out, both are very good players and it's incredible to have both as options at this level.
Bryan isn't the better defender. Joe's a good player, but his biggest weakness by a mile is winning duels 1 on 1, and the system we play leads to huge numbers of 1 on 1s.

Joe is consistently unable to get tight and stop crosses, and it is something that was a problem when he first joined us and continues today.

simplyfulham

Quote from: itombomb on October 25, 2021, 03:33:03 PM
Quote from: simplyfulham on October 25, 2021, 12:40:25 PM
Bryan is the better defender.  He edges it for me as he's a little bit better in more areas.

As a few have pointed out, both are very good players and it's incredible to have both as options at this level.
Bryan isn't the better defender. Joe's a good player, but his biggest weakness by a mile is winning duels 1 on 1, and the system we play leads to huge numbers of 1 on 1s.

Joe is consistently unable to get tight and stop crosses, and it is something that was a problem when he first joined us and continues today.

Robinson is no better. In fact he's worse.

He's constantly out of position and he's so slow to react to decide when to press and when to drop off. He'll win every foot race but his numbers for blocks and tackles were below JB's for last season.

Maidstone Lee

If we go up I think a new LB would be a good idea. We have 2 good Championship LB's but neither really are PL quality.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

colinwhite

joe is by far the better footballer,but Robinsson has the speed and strength. Depends who we are playing against.

toshes mate

The key for me is who plays ahead of the nominal left back.  Robinson is not Bryan and so they cannot be easily switched in or out unless coaches know the best combinations for the completed flank partnership.  We have seen that Odoi did a very reasonable job deputising for Tete, and no doubt he could do the same on the left provided the person ahead is a good wavelength match.  My one grumble about Robinson is that he sometimes forces issues when it may be a lot better to keep passing the ball until a better opening appears.   Bryan seems a more thoughtful player but they are a very different pair of left backs. 

Terry Towling

Quote from: General on October 22, 2021, 06:05:40 PM
You've got two very competent defenders at this level and Robinson pace I've yet to see beaten.. that said its quite clear that the more polished finished article is Bryan at this moment in time. He's got better delivery, sticks to his defensive duties better and can still attack the wing, not to forget he can score goals.

As an all rounder Bryan is a more complete player.

I think Robinson relies too heavily on his pace at time to get him out of trouble. It's OK when you have it, and there are few faster if any.. but he needs to work more on his tackling and defensive duties and when he does get forward improve his final ball. He has been gently improving but hopefully he'll get better as it could make a huge difference.

Our best back five with everyone fit in my mind is

Rodak

Tete tosin kongolo Bryan

that's strong at this level. Then add mawson, Hector, Robinson and christie/odoi you've got very good options.

Is kongolo any good? I thought he was just a legend not a real player.

FulhamStu

I find our fans lack of appreciation to how good Robinson is very odd indeed.  Bryan is a favourite of all of us for obvious reasons however Robinson is an exceptional player and that like everyone has faults but is a huge player for us.  Makes so much happen with his running and speed, will only get better and we will do well to hang onto him.

Motspur

Robinson immense today; was everywhere without putting a foot wrong. oh how I grateful our coach concurs that he's first choice. Joe a great replacement when to be called upon.

BarryP

Quote from: RaySmith on October 24, 2021, 05:33:04 AM
There must be a reason why two different managers  chose Robinson over Bryan, but they are both  very good, each with their own qualities.

Agreed. I like Joe but there is a reason the club brought in a new left back after being promoted and why Silva has primarily selected Robinson. I'm willing to back whoever Silva selects.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Andy S

I think confidence has improved Robinson and you cannot criticise our defence when the goals conceded is nil.