watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - TV's

Started by H4usuallysitting, November 28, 2021, 11:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Looking at upgrading my tv.....but, I'm a poor cabby - any make's & model's....been told a 55" would be the right size

Donnie Lonegan

There is definitely no such thing as a poor cabbie, I would bet money you're the richest bloke who looks at this forum.

love4ffc

The world of TV's is ever changing.  We are also looking for a new tv to upgrade what we have and hand down what we have to our daughter.  We are looking more in the 70" inch range but a 55" is more then enough.  Still, you should do a search on the latest technology as there are different levels of "high definition".  4K, 4K ultra, 8K ultra, OLED and QLED.   

Bottom line is do the research and find what meets your needs.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Brightster#2

I'm an AV Tech here in Ohio. Out of all the TVs I would highly recommend LG for amazing picture quality. If you want something that will give you good picture and be durable and integrate into any smart system you can't beat Sony!

f321ffc

Awaiting delivery of this  one, bought on recommendation, for the price it's apparently a bargain and a bloody good telly. £498 from ao.com

Hisense 55A7GQTUK 55 Inch TV Smart 4K Ultra HD QLED Digital Dolby Vision.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

OtherHodgson

A/V has been my hobby for 40 years and right now the undisputed best picture belongs to LG's OLED technology. They make panels for others like Sony who add in their electronics and processing but I recommend LGs version to my friends and several have bought them and been thrilled. 

Screen size depends on budget and room size but in all my years helping people with their home theatre systems I'm not sure I've ever heard someone say they wish they had bought smaller TV, save for perhaps if it overwhelmed the room physically.  It is possible however to buy one too large for how far you able to sit from it. For HD (1080p or greater) you are very safe with a 2:1 ratio or even a little less meaning for a 55" screen you should be able to sit around 110" away without seeing pixels or pixelation.  With 4K that goes down more. Demo the sizes you are thinking of first in a store taking note to stand your expected distance away. My advice is always to get the biggest you can afford that doesn't look goody in your room and you can't see the pixels of. 

Any technical questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers, good luck and COYW!

blingo

The bigger the better. You soon get used to it. I had a 55inch moved up to the best samsung 4k 65 inch (8k is a waste of time at the mo) and love it. Have a walk around the store and you will know which one is right for you just by looking at it. By the way my picture quality is super sharp and clear.

filham

If this is your first step into Smart TV be careful, no doubt they are a magnificent tool but you
could do with an advance course on the operation which varies from set to set.
Also they have a mind of their own and temporary self curing snags can pop up from time to time.
Best talk to a friend who has one and will demonstrate the set up for you.

I don't think there is such a thing a poor picture quality these days but more critical is sound although poor sound is usually the fault of the broadcaster.

Lighthouse

I am going to buck the trend. I got rid of an old 40 inch tv years ago. I was going to replace it but in the end have been watching a small tv/DVD combi quite happily. I do live in a poor reception area and would always go on line for anything I couldn't see. I have a computer screen as big as the tv.

With anything it depends how much, how big, how many people are being catered for and if tv watching is worth it for you. I struggle to find things to watch, hence the DVD, on line preferences. But go for a big cinema experience if you are going to use it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HV71

I enjoy watching TV but used to hate how they would dominate a room . That was until I discovered the Samsung Serif and the Samsung frame - it's a different world

H4usuallysitting

Apparently I'm looking for a 120hz refresh rate.... And we only watch & record stuff on Sky Q.... Don't really want anything bigger than a 55"

Holders

Goodness me! I really cannot understand the obsession with ever larger TVs that dominate a room. My partner brought a 28" with her and we use that. It's twice the size of what I had before and quite big enough. I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger. Huge TVs just seem tawdry and tasteless to me (no offence intended).
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Brightster#2 on November 29, 2021, 02:50:25 AM
I'm an AV Tech here in Ohio. Out of all the TVs I would highly recommend LG for amazing picture quality. If you want something that will give you good picture and be durable and integrate into any smart system you can't beat Sony!

Many thanks for the info... they have nano something...is that the same as oled or qled

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on November 29, 2021, 05:52:08 AM
Awaiting delivery of this  one, bought on recommendation, for the price it's apparently a bargain and a bloody good telly. £498 from ao.com

Cheers, Many thanks... I'll have a look, mate of mine has a Hisesne, not seen it in action yet

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Holders on November 29, 2021, 12:13:00 PM
Goodness me! I really cannot understand the obsession with ever larger TVs that dominate a room. My partner brought a 28" with her and we use that. It's twice the size of what I had before and quite big enough. I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger. Huge TVs just seem tawdry and tasteless to me (no offence intended).

It's looking like the new house I'm getting, has a larger front room than our old house

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

South Coast White

I've been buying a panasonic tv for many years now and currently have a 55" 4k ultra smart unit with built in free view. Now 5 years old, cost new £1000 but you can get a similar one today for around £800 with 5 years guarantee, you won't be disappointed.

H4usuallysitting

Many thanks for all the information

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 29, 2021, 12:21:43 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 29, 2021, 12:13:00 PM

It's looking like the new house I'm getting, has a larger front room than our old house

Found one already?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Dodgin

Read Amazon reviews before buying