more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 03/12/21...

Started by WhiteJC, December 03, 2021, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Collins calls for a response against Fulham
Heading to Fulham on Friday evening, Wolves under-23 head coach James Collins is preparing to rotate his pack during what is a busy schedule for his side.

Wolves go into the game off the back of their largest defeat of the season, having fallen to a heavy 5-0 loss to Norwich City on Monday, but just four days later, Collins' side have a chance for redemption when they face the Premier League 2 Division 2 leaders.

On a busy schedule of games
"Most of the players are fit, but we've got four games in 13 days. With Hugo [Bueno], he's had a hamstring and has only just got back, Tippo's [Ollie Tipton] coming back from an injury so will play those four games, but to try and win games, we're not going to put players out on the pitch and break them

"What we've had to do over these last two games and the next two, is juggle the team around a little bit. That maybe means we're not putting our strongest team out onto the pitch each game, and hopefully they're competitive – but it certainly wasn't [against Norwich].

"On paper it should have been competitive, but that shows it was the performance as oppose to the selection, but they'll be changes again on Friday as there is also the Youth Cup game the account for next week.

"We'll select the team on merit, but also try to look after them as well."

On a heavy loss at home to the Canaries
"It was a well deserved defeat. I thought they were too much for us. The front three for them were exceptional. We knew they were good because they've had a lot of games recently where they've scored three or four, so they're good for this league.

"But the disappointing thing is that they were open as well, and we could have caused them more problems than we did, but we've got to defend better than we did.

"It's not a good recipe for success if you defend poorly and you attack poorly, and that's what we did.

"It's a good lesson for them, a good lesson to see where some of them are, and we've got a good opportunity on Friday to go to Fulham, who are clear at the top of the league, and see if we can respond to that."

On struggling at both ends of the pitch
"The frustrating thing for me was that we prepared for exactly how the game was. We knew their front three were their threat. We knew that if we held a good shape and were hard to get through, they might have a little bit of the ball at the back, but that would protect us.

"I thought we'd stop them, they'd give us the ball and we'd have some really good chances on the counter-attack – and that was exactly how it was.

"But they go through us too easily in that shape and then when you're two down, you have to make some changes because you have to get the ball back.

"Once we opened up against them, we probably looked a threat, but they looked even more of a threat and, in the end, how we approached the first 20 minutes of the game has cost us a beating."

On a tough lesson for his players
"I say this most weeks, but whether we win, lose or draw, it doesn't decide whether you get players in the first-team or it doesn't decide a career, but they have to learn quickly.

"It's a tough school. They're about to go into a first-team environment where the scorelines matter and I thought today we looked like Academy kids who were finding the game tough.

"A lot of first-teams find games like this where they find it tough, but they dig in, respond, and find a way back into the game, or at least keep the game at a reasonable scoreline, but we didn't do that.

"We looked like Academy kids out there, which some of them are, but they've got to learn quickly because if they want to get into a first-team environment, that's what they've got to do."

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/under-23/20211202-collins-calls-for-a-response-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Report names the six clubs who've made enquiries about Mitrovic + reveals Fulham's stance on potential sale

Fulham have had enquiries from several of Europe's top clubs for Aleksandar Mitrovic, but the London club are insistent that the Serb is not for sale, reports TEAMtalk.

Mitrovic, 27, has scored 21 goals in 19 Championship outings this season. The striker has been in fine form for both club and country and has started to attract outside interest.

Villarreal were linked last month before it was revealed that Juventus were also keen. Now though, TEAMtalk have revealed that Fiorentina, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, Nice, Lille and Juve too have all made 'enquiries' about both a potential January and a summer move, whilst revealing Fulham's stance on a potential sale.

They report that Fulham are 'intent' on keeping Mitrovic in their bid for promotion and that they will 'not be entertaining' any offers for Mitrovic.

Star striker
In the one Championship fixture that Mitrovic hasn't featured in this season, Fulham failed to score. Whilst they're a team rich in depth and quality, Mitrovic really is the star of the show this season and losing him in January would prove a huge blow to Marco Silva's side.

But the club seem insistent on keeping the striker. He remains on a long-term contract and so, should Mitrovic's head be turned by some of the interest shown in him then Fulham can barter for a higher price.
That seems unlikely though – Mitrovic has long loved his life in London and he looks to be as happy as he ever has playing his football for Fulham this season.

The fact that names like Juventus and Bayern Munch are showing an interest is a credit to him and the way Fulham are playing this season.

Up next for the Whites is a clash v 2nd-place Bournemouth this Friday.

https://the72.co.uk/256679/report-names-the-six-clubs-whove-made-enquiries-about-mitrovic-reveals-fulhams-stance-on-potential-sale/

WhiteJC

Nixon provides promising Fulham update on Angelo Fulgini pursuit after Burnley join race

Alan Nixon says that Fulham are 'more keen' on signing Angers' Angelo Fulgini, after it was revealed that Burnley have now joined the race to sign the midfielder.

Fulham have been linked with an Β£18million move for Angers' midfielder Fulgini.

The 25-year-old is keen to come to England and Fulham could hand him that oppurtunity in January, with the Whites looking as though they're set to lose Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa to either Napoli or Crystal Palace.

But yesterday, reports revealed that Burnley have now shown an interest in Fulgini too.

Taking to Twitter shortly after, The Sun reporter Nixon has revealed that Fulham are in fact 'more keen' on signing Fulgini at this point, saying:

Fulgini has established himself as one of the most talented no.10s in Ligue 1.

This season he's scored twice and assisted as many in his 15 league outings, playing a crucial part in Angers' solid start to the campaign – they sit in 8th-place of the table after 16 games.

Fulham have plenty of attacking firepower this season but with Zambo Anguissa looking as though he won't be playing for the club again, Marco Silva will want another midfielder in his ranks and should Fulgini arrive in January then it'll also bolster their promotion credentials.

As for Burnley, they continue to struggle in the Premier League and whether or not Fulgini would find Turf Moor an attractive move remains to be seen.

Up next for Fulham is a home game v 2nd-place Bournemouth on Friday evening.

https://the72.co.uk/256684/nixon-provides-promising-fulham-update-on-angelo-fulgini-pursuit-after-burnley-join-race/

WhiteJC

Who will win the top of the table clash? Fulham or AFCB?

In a game that looked like the Cherries getting 3 points since the last home win against Swansea City, the game turned on one bit of action where after a poor back pass from one of our players let a Coventry City player in on our goal, Jefferson Lerma with a tackle brought the player down and immediately the referee pulled out a red card. From leading 2-0, with the second goal coming two minutes before the incident, AFCB with 10 men with 22 minutes of normal time still to play plus as it turned out 5 minutes of injury time, AFCB were shaken by two goals from Coventry City and one coming from the last kick of the game which snatched victory from the home sides grasp. It was a disappointing end for the home team, management and fans in very windy conditions. As it turned out the other challenging sides in earlier games didn't gain any advantage in their games.
ADVERTISING

The next game is a top of the table clash between the two top teams in the Championship. The Cherries make the relatively short trip to London and Craven Cottage on the banks of the River Thames, the home of Fulham, the Championship leaders. The game is being played again live in front of the Sky cameras at 7.45 pm on Friday. It should be a cracking game with two good footballing sides pitting their wits against each other. It also will be the first return for Scott Parker and his backroom team to their old club, which they parted ways in the Summer after the London club was relegated from the Premier League. Fulham will be the last of the three relegated clubs to play AFCB, the other two who both visited Dean Court were West Brom which finished in a draw and beating Sheffield United.

The person to replace Scott Parker in the Fulham hot seat is the Portuguese, Marco Silva, who is no stranger to managing clubs in this country. He had been at Everton which he left in December 2019, Watford and Hull City. In the Summer Fulham signed midfielder Harry Wilson for Β£12 million from Liverpool, striker Rodrigo Muniz for a reported fee of Β£7 million from Flamengo. Two midfield players from Watford, Nathaniel Chalobah for Β£3 million and on loan Domingos Quina.

Fulham have won 7 home games, against Hull City 2-0, Stoke City 3-0, Swansea City 3-1, QPR 4-1, Cardiff City 2-0, West Brom 3-0 and Barnsley 4-1. Drawn with Middlesbrough 1-1 and Derby County 0-0. Lost 1-2 against Reading. Away they have won 6, D 2, L 2.

Fulham top the home table, P 10, W 7, D 2, L 1, GF 23, GA 6, GD 17, Points 23.
AFCB are top of the away table, P 10, W 6, D 3, L 1, GF 13, GA 5, GD 8, Points 21.

The last time we met Fulham at Craven Cottage was in October 2018 in the Premier League. AFCB went ahead in the 14th minute after Callum Wilson was fouled in the penalty area, Wilson took the penalty to make it 0-1, that was the score at half-time. In the second half, David Brooks put the away side 0-2 up and a minute later Fulham were reduced to 10 men when Kevin McDonald was sent off for a second yellow card after bringing Brooks down. Twelve minutes later Wilson scored his second to make it 0-3 and that's how it finished.

AFCB's away record at Fulham, W 5, D 5, L 4.
In all competitions, AFCB have W 13, D 9, L 11.

Fulham Team News
They have had an illness in their camp with some recovering and being able to play in their last away game at Preston. Amongst those missing Tom Cairney, also on their injury list are Ivan Cavaleiro and Nathaniel Chalobah.

Fulham Player To Watch
Alexander Mitrovic has scored 21 goals and has 5 assists in the league. He is the top scorer in the Championship. Apart from his last game where he still looked out of sorts after his recent illness, he has scored 11 goals in his last 8 games, including a hat-trick against West Brom. Our old loan player Harry Wilson is the second-highest scorer with 6 goals and leads with 7 assists.

AFCB Team News
We have a number out on the injury list and on one website it suggests those players could be available early into December, how many in time for Fulham remains to be seen. One big loss will be Jefferson Lerma who received a red against Coventry City and will miss this game.

AFCB Player To Watch
With Fulham's defence only conceding 5 goals at home, we need to take what chances we get and Dominic Solanke has scored in his last four away games. Jaidon Anthony has scored 4 goals in his last 4 games and Philip Billing also comes up with useful goals. At the other end, our defence needs to be on their game.

The Referee
Tim Robinson was in charge of our home game with Luton Town.

SteveJonesLegend wrote...

It all depends on the 11 that walk out there on Friday night... My feeling is it will be the same 11 (minus Jeff) that played V Coventry...

I didn't go to the Swansea game but if we let Fulham dominate us at the start like we did Swansea, I doubt they will let us off the hook quite so easily...

4-3-3 with Davis coming in for Jeff...

A point would be a great result given our recent run of injuries and form... – Join the conversation, click here.

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/who-will-win-the-top-of-the-table-clash-fulham-or-afcb/

WhiteJC

BACK IN FROM THE COLD Ex-Barcelona target Jean Michael Seri on a hot streak at Fulham after suffering from ingrowing toenails in cold weather!

JEAN MICHAEL SERI used to suffer from cold feet.

But now the Ivory Coast star is really letting them do the talking at Fulham.

Jean Michael Seri used to suffer from cold feet but now they have been in form for Fulham

Seri, 30, arrived at Craven Cottage three years ago to a huge fanfare after the club paid Nice Β£25million.

It was seen as a transfer coup as Barcelona had tried to sign him just one year before.

Yet he had an awful first season at the club under first Slavisa Jokanovic and then Scott Parker, which ended in relegation from the Premier League.

Seri – who has spent most of the past two seasons on loan at Galatasaray and Bordeaux – suffered from ingrowing toenails in cold weather.

He said: "My toenails on my left foot were very painful when the weather was cold.

"I had to cut them every time because they grew into the flesh.

"It was something that had never happened to me before because I was playing in Portugal and the south of France where the weather was warm.

"Yet in England it was the first time I had played in cold weather and it was difficult. I had to wear a bigger size left boot."

But Seri has since fixed the problem and no longer suffers from the issue.

He added: "This time is different. I put cream on my feet and the problem has gone."

Championship leaders Fulham take on Bournemouth on Friday night in a top-of-the-table clash.

And Seri is now finally showing the Craven Cottage faithful why the club invested so much money in signing him.

The midfielder is right up near the top of the league's assists standings with six so far.

Seri arrived at Fulham with a bang, scoring a sensational goal against Burnley

He has also started 17 of the club's 20 league matches and been a commanding and calming presence in the middle of the park.

It is all a far cry from his first season at Fulham – which started superbly with a stunning goal-of-the-month winning strike against Burnley but quickly fizzled out in a campaign that saw the West Londoners crash back into the Championship.

But the Ivorian believes he has unfinished business at the Cottage and accepts his previous performances were not good enough.

Seri said: "I felt a lot of expectation when I joined. The Fulham fans had heard about me almost joining Barcelona so thought I would help them stay in the Premier League.

'HE'S BETTER THAN ZIDANE...'
SERI revealed he had to be told by a friend that Fulham fans had made up a song in homage to him.

The words go like this:

"We've got Seri
Jean Michael Seri
I just don't think you understand
He's Marco Silva's man
He's better than Zidane
We've got Jean Michael Seri"

And the midfielder said: "They sang it against Millwall and my friend told me the fans were singing my name.

"And I thought, 'No, they're not.'

"But I watched the game back on TV and heard it good, I heard my name.

"It gives you a lot of positive energy to go again and fight for them."

"Unfortunately things didn't go as we all wanted.

"The club spent a lot of money for me and expected better from me.

"I didn't give back something.. I must give the club something back for that investment so I'm glad to be doing so now.

"When you first come to England, it can be difficult. We can see this with a lot of players who come from different countries because it's very different here to other leagues.

"What I learned, reflecting on that season, is that you must have a winning mentality every day, not just on matchdays.

"If you have this mentality, you'll be ready for every game and that's the key as a professional player when you come to England. At first I didn't have that.

"What I mean by this mentality is winning every day, winning in every training session. You must not lose the ball easily and must try to win every challenge.

"If you have a game on Saturday, you can't start preparing on Thursday. You must be preparing from Monday to the matchday.

The midfielder spoke to SunSport ahead of the top-of-the-table clash with Bournemouth

Seri has been in top form for Fulham this season in the middle of the park

"Do that, and you'll arrive at the game winning every challenge, you won't be giving away possession and when you're winning 1-0 you'll want to defend well to make sure you don't concede a goal. That is a winning mentality.

"And then you move on to the next game and go again. You must have this routine

"If you don't do this, it's impossible to be successful.

"I have told players in France that in England you must be perfect. If you're good, you'll be average or inconsistent. No, you must be perfect to succeed."

Seri had a good season on loan at Galatasaray, playing Champions League football, and when he returned to Fulham last summer with the club back in the Premier League, he was desperate to make amends.

But he did not feature in a single top-flight game and only managed 118 minutes of football in the Carabao Cup, coming on as a sub against Sheffield Wednesday before playing the full 90 against Brentford.

Seri was not even involved in a Premier League matchday squad so he decided to go on loan to Bordeaux during the January transfer window.

He said: "I had a positive season in Turkey so it was frustrating to not play.

I was thinking, 'Why does the manager not realise that I can help the team?' because I was in very good form and very confident.
JEAN MICHAEL SERI

"I was thinking, 'Why does the manager not realise that I can help the team?' because I was in very good form and very confident.

"I had learned from my past experience in the Premier League. If he gave me one chance, I could've helped the team.

"It was a big frustration and not what I expected when I returned.

"I spoke to Scott Parker before we started the season and that conversation must remain private. But he decided what he had to decide and it was a difficult situation for me."

However, when he returned from Bordeaux this year, new boss Marco Silva told the midfielder he was part of his plans.

And since then Seri has not looked back and has promised fans there is no chance of him leaving during the January transfer window.

He said: "When the gaffer arrived, he said, 'I want you to help us go up together into the Premier League.'

"I knew Marco from when he was in Portugal and I thought, 'Why not?' I wanted to stay here and my family like London too.

"The Championship is actually better than a lot of the leagues in Europe.

Jean Seri hopes to pay back Fulham by helping them to promotion to the Premier League

"I'm here for the whole season. I want to celebrate when we get promoted. I want to enjoy this moment with the club.

"Fulham deserves it because they've spent a lot of money on me. They deserve to be in the Premier League for many years and I believe Marco is building something good.

"And I want to pay the club back."

JEAN MICHAEL SERI ON ....
ALEKSANDAR MITROVIC: Everyone speaks about the goals he is scoring – but it's not just about that anymore with him.

Before, I knew Mitrovic as a striker, a No9 who would get into the box on the end of the long ball.

But, no, not now.

Mitro is coming back to participate in the game and that is very different and important for the team.

BOURNEMOUTH CLASH: There will be no surprises for us. We've planned everything. The manager has put something on the table – a plan and we've done everything he has told us.

What is being demanded of us is very easy. We don't need to complicate it.

We don't have to add anything. He is telling us exactly what he wants and in this way we can be successful together.

THE FANS: The way they're coming and pushing us, we must keep going.

Some months ago, we were without them so we're very happy they're back and we want them to push us until the end.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16918542/barcelona-target-seri-fulham-cold-feet/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker issues Aleksander Mitrovic verdict ahead of Fulham's clash with Bournemouth

Bournemouth manager Scott Parker has suggested that he is not surprised to see Aleksander Mitrovic once again be scoring goals in the Championship but insisted Fulham's threat is more than just him.

Parker managed to get enough positive form out of Mitrovic during the 2019/20 season in the Championship to help get his Fulham side over the line in the promotion race. The Serbian forward fired home 26 goals in his 41 league appearances that campaign and played a major role in their success.

However, it has been reported that last season in the Premier League, Parker grew frustrated with Mitrovic's inability to press more from the front and that led to him making the decision to decrease the number of starts the forward had. In total, the Serbia international made just 13 starts in the league last term scoring three goals.

It was reported over the summer that Parker and Mitrovic's relationship was strained and it was even suggested that the forward could look to move on if he had remained in charge at Craven Cottage.

However, Parker made the switch to Bournemouth instead and Mitrovic has been in phenomenal form under Marco Silva. He has already fired home an impressive 21 goals in his 19 league appearances and looks well on course to break the Championship's scoring record.

Speaking to Dorest Live ahead of his reunion with Fulham, Parker has suggested that he believes Mirtrovic's form this season is not a surprise but he also insisted that there is more of a threat as well coming from all of their attacking options.

He said: "I think there's threats all over the pitch. Obviously, Mitrovic has scored goals at this level and again this season in half the games, has got some numbers. But I think it is fair to say their threat is from set plays and of course all over the pitch, where there is a goal threat there."

The verdict

It must be difficult for Parker to watch Mitrovic go on such an impressive run of form this season in the Championship because it will only have raised even more questions about his lack of game time last term. There will be many who feel that had the Serbian started more frequently in the Premier League last term then there might have been more chance for them to survive the drop.

However, Parker has more than shown that his approach to management and his style of play can yield positive results during his time at Bournemouth so far this term. He has taken the Cherries to the next level after they reached the play-offs last season and it looks like them and Fulham are on course to be the league's top two this term.

Mitrovic has to be a player that Bournemouth put a lot of attention on when the top two meet on Friday night. The forward will be highly motivated to prove a point to Parker and therefore the Cherries' defenders are going to have to be at their best to keep him quiet on the night. If they can do that then Parker might be able to get one over on his former employers and secure a huge result for his new club.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-issues-aleksander-mitrovic-verdict-ahead-of-fulhams-clash-with-bournemouth/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker comments on key difference between Fulham and Bournemouth tenures

Bournemouth manager Scott Parker has suggested that he feels he has more of a chance to stamp his authority around the Cherries as a football club than he did at Craven Cottage.

Parker enjoyed a largely positive spell in charge of Fulham where he managed to guide them back into the Premier League via the play-offs in the 2019/20 season.

However, despite gaining a lot of plaudits for some of their performances in the top-flight last term, in the end, it was an impossible task to keep them in the division and they ended up dropping back to the Championship.

The decision was made by Parker in the summer to bring an end to his spell in charge of Fulham and he made the switch to Bournemouth. Since taking over the Cherries he has helped to really establish them as one of the best two sides in the Championship this term alongside his old team and it looks like a potential straight shootout between them both for the title this term.

The two sides meet on Friday night in what is a major chance for one of them to strike a blow to the other in the race for automatic promotion this term.

Both Bournemouth and Fulham have shown a little sign of a potential wobble being on the cards in the last few games, so Friday's clash will be an important one.

Speaking to The Athletic head of Bournemouth's clash with Fulham, Parker insisted that he feels he has had more chance to stamp his authority around the whole of the football club with the Cherries. He also added that he looks back on his spell at Craven Cottage with pride.

He said: "Yes, probably a little bit more. I've managed to be able to do that. It's still early, it is only six months. But I definitely have come in and been able to recruit, and try and get a squad (together). To be more of a 'manager' of the football club, in that sense.

"I feel that I've been able to do that, really, which has been helpful.

"There are players that we gave opportunities to, we've developed along with a structure and a good group.

"Marek Rodak, Fabio Carvalho, Harvey Elliott. Antonee Robinson. Harrison Reed.

"I feel like we left the football club in a good place. I'm very proud of the work I did there. It will be something that when I'm long retired, and I'm sitting from afar looking back on it, (I'll see it is as) an experience. Two years I was there as manager, four years I was there as a player, six months as a coach. I'll have fond memories, proud memories.

"Football moves very quickly, people forget β€” even me β€” you forget. But when it's all said and done, I will look back on that time there as a successful one."

The verdict

It was a difficult ending to his Fulham spell for Parker and it seemed over the summer like his time there was up and he needed a fresh challenge to rejuvenate him.

That is certainly how it has transpired and he has shown that he learnt a lot at Craven Cottage and he is maturing into an all-around good coach leading Bournemouth to an excellent start to the campaign.

Parker is right to look back on his Fulham spell with pride because he did good work to get them promoted and then turned them into a competitive side in the Premier League. In the end, small margins were the difference between them being relegated last term and there was not much more he could have done to prevent that.

He has taken that on to his spell in charge of the Cherries, and as he says he appears to have more say in the overall running of the club at Bournemouth. That is clearly something he feels he needs to have control over for him to be a success at a football club in the long term. So, in that respect, his summer decision to switch clubs was the right one.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-comments-on-key-difference-between-fulham-and-bournemouth-tenures/

WhiteJC

Parker refuses to be drawn on Mitrovic and Solanke comparison

CHERRIES boss Scott Parker refused to be drawn on comparisons between Fulham frontman Aleksandar Mitrovic and Cherries ace Dominic Solanke.

Two of the Championship's best marksmen are set to go toe-to-toe at Craven Cottage when their respective sides meet in the league tomorrow.

Mitrovic heads the division's scoring charts at present, with 21 goals from 19 league games.

Cherries frontman Solanke has netted 15 times from 20 appearances in the second tier this campaign.

Serbian striker Mitrovic scored 31 goals from 81 fixtures in total under Parker.

But since arriving at Cherries in the summer, the former Fulham head coach has already helped Solanke eclipse his goal record from last season in all competitions.

Asked to compare the two frontmen, Parker said: "Two very, very good centre forwards, who score goals.

"Mitrovic is very important to Fulham, like Dominic Solanke is very important to us.

"Two very, very good forwards, I wouldn't want to engage in that one."

Victory in west London would send Cherries back to the top of the Championship table ahead of the Cottagers.

Parker's side are currently seven points clear of third-placed Queen's Park Rangers in the race for automatic promotion.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/19757463.parker-refuses-drawn-mitrovic-solanke-comparison/

WhiteJC

Jonathan Greening backs Aleksandar Mitrovic for Fulham stay on one condition

Jonathan Greening has backed Aleksandar Mitrovic to remain at Fulham past the end of this season provided they win promotion back into the Premier League.

The Cottagers have had a great season so far and have been scoring goals for fun, with Mitrovic the natural spearhead to their attack.

Indeed, he has every chance of breaking the Championship scoring record and when you have a player like that in your ranks you always have a shot at winning promotion.

Certainly, Fulham are well in with a chance of that this year as they lead the Championship ahead of their Friday night clash with title rivals Bournemouth, and Greening feels sealing promotion should help them ward off the growing interest in the Serb's signature:

"Aleksandar Mitrović has the quality to score goals in the Premier League. He can score all kinds of goals and he bangs them in the Championship. He's absolutely lethal and Fulham are strong favourites to go up.

"Every time he's been in the Premier League, he hasn't seemed to hit the same heights – with either Newcastle or Fulham. But, is that because the teams he's been promoted with aren't strong enough and aren't creating the chances? Whereas in the Championship, he's with stronger teams that are creating chances, which factor in.

"If he gets promoted with Fulham again, he will stay, the fans and club absolutely love him. He needs to start finding his goalscoring boots up there though. Most will see him as a top Championship player, but can he do it up there? If he does that, people will stop referring to him as that level."

Jonathan Greening was speaking to MyBettingSites

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jonathan-greening-backs-aleksandar-mitrovic-for-fulham-stay-on-one-condition/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth may stick with a three man defence against Fulham, says Scott Parker

Injuries in defence has forced the Cherries boss to seek alternative systems to compensate for the absentees

Scott Parker had told DorsetLive 'there is a 'possibility' of sticking with the change of shape, as initially trialled in their 2-2 draw with Coventry last week.

The Cherries boss previously revealed that prior to the game, the team only had '15 minutes' to work on the alteration, such was the doubt cast over the injury landscape. With both Gary Cahill and Lloyd Kelly injured, compounded by further longer term absentees Adam Smith and Jordan Zemura, Parker transformed the system, moving from his favoured 4-3-3 to a more defensively secure 3-4-2-1, as first disclosed by DorsetLive.

It is believed the change was precipitated by those injuries in defence as an extra player in the backline would provide greater cover. Given the discernible vulnerability on the left hand side with no Zemura, it was viewed as somewhat precarious to go with a back four which, essentially, included three stand ins.

Therefore, to compensate for the flux of injuries, Jefferson Lerma was brought into the middle of a back three, with Steve Cook and Chris Mepham alongside. This allowed Parker to shoehorn Jaidon Anthony into one of the wing back roles and at the expense of Leif Davis.

The changes enabled Bournemouth to garner greater control than they had done in previous matches, until Lerma was sent off in the 68th minute. The Colombian has also been charged by the FA for 'improper language and/or behaviour' after his dismissal. Bournemouth do retain the right for response, however.

With Lerma now out but the side having naturally more time to strengthen the 3-4-2-1 shape, Parker admits it is a decision he and his coaching staff have been thinking about.

"Yeah, it is a possibility, I think it is just down to needs must really. I really liked us at the weekend, I thought we played very, very well for 70 minutes. I thought we were every bit of a very good side, 2-0 up and had the game controlled.

"A big area I liked about us which I think we needed to improve over the weeks before that was with the ball. And I thought we really had a control with the ball and reduced our defending because of it, which helps. So yeah, there's options there to do that (use that system)."

Granted, a game away to the league leaders and fellow promotion contenders is not the time to experiment. But with Bournemouth showing much improved mental fortitude this season, as players and coaching staff have recently concurred, adapting to wholesale changes is not the burden it was last year.

Particularly if at least a couple of the seven players currently ruled out, namely Lloyd Kelly, are deemed fit to make the matchday squad.

"It is a top of the table clash and we're going to have to understand the mentality which is needed," said Parker. "We're playing against an exceptional side. They've done very well this year and have got quality all over the pitch.

"I think mindset, mentality, attitude, desire are all words you're going to have to bring to this football match on Friday. Along with quality, nous and experience at times, so the full package, really."

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/bournemouth-stick-three-man-defence-6290701

WhiteJC

Four talking points ahead of Fulham v Bournemouth
Colm takes a look at the biggest questions as we prepare for our biggest game of the season.

Top of the table, eight points ahead of third place, 49 goals scored, only 16 conceded – all this at the start of December. As a Fulham fan, you couldn't ask for much more – or could you? Scott Parker's acrimonious end to his Fulham tenure and swift move to the south coast added one more objective to Fulham's season – finish ahead of Bournemouth. And a script couldn't have been written any greater, than these two sides battling it out at the top of the Championship. This Friday sees Parker's return to Craven Cottage for the first time, and we'll take a look at some talking points ahead the game.

The starting XI
Marco Silva is 20 league games into his tenure as Fulham manager, and it's safe to say that he's started to figure out his strongest side, although the bug that's been going around over the last 10 days has disrupted that somewhat. Assuming everyone is fit and healthy, you'd expect the front four of Carvalho, Kebano, Wilson and Mitrovic to start along with Seri and Reed in the middle. Defensively, Ream and Tosin should both retain their spots, although there is still some debate around both full-back positions.

While Robinson has been deployed on the left more often than not, there are rising calls to get Joe Bryan back in the team. Both possess completely different strengths. Robinson tends to fly forward with great pace at every opportunity, but his end product can be questionable at times, while Joe Bryan's wand of a left peg can be used to great affect going forward. Defensively, I would like to see Bryan given the nod as I think his defensive solidity trumps Robinson's attacking prowess in a game of this magnitude. On the other side, Marco seems to have been flipping between Kenny Tete and Denis Odoi, with Odoi currently holding on to the jersey, despite Kenny's return to fitness. Personally, I think it's a no-brainer and Tete should be starting all day, but it'll be interesting to see if Silva tries to completely shore it up at the back.

The Bournemouth team
Bournemouth have been understrength over the past few games and Parker's comments this week haven't indicated that too many are on their way back. Already missing the likes of Kelly, Cahill, Smith, Zamura and Pearson, Scott Parker won't thank Jefferson Lerma, who's suspended following his red card last week. Dominic Solanke has been in tremendous form with 15 goals so far this campaign and must be kept quiet if we're in with a chance of getting three points. Philip Billing is having a fantastic season as well and will need to be closely watched too.

The Scott Parker reaction
Scott Parker's time at Fulham didn't end the way anybody wanted it to. He gave a lot to this club as a player and a manager, but the manner in which he left the club has left a bit of a sour taste in some people's mouths. The fact that he popped up so quickly at a rival club only enhanced that taste, and I for one have been keeping as close an eye on Bournemouth results as Fulham results to try and justify that the right decision was made. Fulham fans were 50/50 at the time about whether he should stay or go, but I think Silva's flying start has reassured most that they are heading the right direction.

A few comments in the media by Scott Parker have also irked Fulham fans, in particular his comments about Dominic Solanke being "the best striker in the league", which seemed to be construed as a pop at Alexander Mitrovic, a player shunned by Scott Parker during his time in charge. Mitro has outscored Solanke by some distance this season and is on course to break the Championship scoring records.

This week he also claimed that Fulham haven't changed much since he was there. "In terms of general shape and their general movements, they're quite similar", he told Jacob Tanswell. The Fulham of this season and the Fulham of the past two seasons are chalk and cheese. Marco Silva has instilled a free-flowing attacking style while also keeping a relatively sturdy defence compared to Parker's conservative Parkerball. For these reasons, Parker could be in for a frosty reception at the cottage on Friday.

Recent form
For the first 15 games of the season I wondered would Bournemouth ever lose and would we ever get a chance to catch them. They were in no way as emphatic as Fulham in their victories, but they were grinding out one and two-goal wins that were keeping Fulham at arm's length. However, the last five games have been a totally different story. While they have been missing players, I think teams are starting to figure out Parkerball and how to counteract it, which has meant they've only won one game in their last five, losing twice to Preston and Derby while failing to hold their nerve after taking the lead against Millwall and Coventry.

On the other hand, the Whites have really hit their stride with seven wins on the trot and only two goals conceded, until sickness around the camp disrupted them and resulted in draws against Derby and Preston in our last two outings. With nearly a full strength squad to pick from on Friday, we'll be hopeful of getting back to winning ways and opening a gap between themselves and Bournemouth.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-12-02-fulham-v-bournemouth-the-talking-points/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth is just 'another game,' says Silva

Marco Silva has sought to downplay the significance of Scott Parker's return to Craven Cottage as Fulham prepare to take on Bournemouth in a clash of the Championship's top two tomorrow night.

The Fulham head coach told his pre-match press conference this afternoon that he was approaching the Cherries in exactly the same way as he has with every other opponent.

"For us it's another game. They are three points. I don't see this game differently to West Bromwich Albion, or Stoke when we played them as we were both in the play-off positions in the table. It's a game against a tough side that is there at the top with us, a team with a lot of quality, individual players with high technical quality. Good organisation as well.

The biggest game of the season? Definitely not. We don't look to the game in this way. Is it a game that we want to win? Definitely yes. It's a game where we are fully motivated, like we were in all the others before. Nobody can win seven games in a row if you're not fully motivated, nobody can be nine games unbeaten if you're not fully motivated.

What I want from the players, and from everyone in this football club, is to look to the game like we have all this week. It will be a tough game for us because of the quality of Bournemouth, but there's nothing more about it. Tomorrow I want to see all of us, all my players, all the staff, approach it the same way we have all season. Nothing more. It's Fulham against Bournemouth, not the names in the middle."

Silva knows his side will face a stern test of their promotion credentials, with Bournemouth only a point behind them following an impressive start to the season.

I think both teams are doing fantastic this season. We are really happy with the season we're having so far. Of course, I always want more, and my players want more as well. We are demanding more from ourselves as we always want to improve. Tomorrow we have another game, a tough game. I expect an open game with both teams playing to win the football match. This is the main thing for us."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/12/bournemouth-is-just-another-game-says-silva/

WhiteJC

Pre-Bournemouth Press Conference

Marco Silva is approaching Friday night's game in the same manner he has every fixture.

It's top versus second at Craven Cottage as Scott Parker returns with his AFC Bournemouth side, but Silva is not entertaining any subplots whatsoever.

"For us it's another game," he said. "They are three points. I don't see this game differently to West Bromwich, or Stoke when we played them as we were both in the Play-Off positions in the table.

"It's a game against a tough side that is there at the top with us, a team with a lot of quality, individual players with high technical quality. Good organisation as well.

"The biggest game of the season? Definitely not. We don't look to the game in this way. Is it a game that we want to win? Definitely yes.

"It's a game where we are fully motivated, like we were in all the others before. Nobody can win seven games in a row if you're not fully motivated, nobody can be nine games unbeaten if you're not fully motivated.

"What I want from the players, and from everyone in this football club, is to look to the game like we have all this week.

"It will be a tough game for us because of the quality of Bournemouth, but there's nothing more about it.

"Tomorrow I want to see all of us, all my players, all the staff, approach it the same way we have all season. Nothing more.

"It's Fulham against Bournemouth, not the names in the middle."

The Cherries have enjoyed a fine start to the campaign and currently sit a point behind Silva's side.

"I think both teams are doing fantastic this season," he stated. "We are really happy with the season we're having so far.

"Of course, I always want more, and my players want more as well. We are demanding more from ourselves as we always want to improve.

"Tomorrow we have another game, a tough game. I expect an open game with both teams playing to win the football match. This is the main thing for us."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/december/02/pre-bournemouth-press-conference/

WhiteJC

David Prutton issues prediction for Fulham's top of the table clash with Bournemouth

Friday night sees perhaps the biggest match in the Championship so far this season as table-topping Fulham take on second placed AFC Bournemouth at Craven Cottage.

The two sides are clear of Queens Park Rangers in third spot by eight and seven points respectively and they are clearly the classiest pairing in the second tier right now.

But in recent matches there has been a slight slump from both sides, with Fulham's seven-match winning run ended with a stalemate at home to Derby County last week before another draw, this time on the road against Preston North End.

The Cherries, managed now by ex-Fulham head coach Scott Parker, have only won one of their previous five, losing to PNE and Derby as well as drawing against Millwall and Coventry.

Those results prove that the Championship is as unpredictable as ever and the south coast club will have to go to west London without Jefferson Lerma, who was sent off against Coventry on Saturday.

EFL presenter David Prutton cannot split the two sides though for when they meet under the lights by the River Thames as he's going for a 2-2 draw.

"The runaway pair in the Championship meet at Craven Cottage!" Prutton said on his Sky Sports predictions podcast.

"Both sides have had absences in recent weeks but both have the squad to cope with it, and you are going to have spells like that during a season.

"We've also got the subplot of Scott Parker returning to Fulham, and he'll want to prove a point and get his Bournemouth side back to the top of the table.

"I fancy goals here, but I can't split the pair. Score draw."

The Verdict

This could literally go either way because the two sides are for one split by just a point in the table but have also suffered a drop-off in form recently.

Fulham may not have lost for a while but draws against Derby and PNE will be seen as a setback, and they'll need to be on top form here.

Lerma will be a big miss for the visitors though but Scott Parker has strength in depth fortunately if there are no new fitness issues.

I'm going for a narrow Cottagers victory though which would mean they stretch their advantage over the Cherries in the table to four points.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/david-prutton-issues-prediction-for-fulhams-top-of-the-table-clash-with-bournemouth/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth Matchday Preview

Fulham v AFC Bournemouth | Friday 3rd December 2021 | 7.45pm | Craven Cottage | #FULBOU

The opposition

Β  Β  Bournemouth enjoyed a long unbeaten run at the start of the Championship season, going 15 matches without tasting defeat before Preston North End got the better of them at the Vitality Stadium a month ago.
Β  Β  That loss triggered a little dip in form for the Cherries, who have now won just one of their last five outings, though that one was an impressive 4-0 triumph over Swansea City.
Β  Β  They had looked set for three points at the weekend having gone 2-0 up against Coventry City, but after a straight red card for Jefferson Lerma, things began to unravel. Matt Godden stayed on his feet for once to reduce the deficit, before Todd Kane equalised in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

Fulham team news

Marco Silva revealed that Nathaniel Chalobah is now back training with the team, while Tom Cairney has recovered from the illness which ruled him out of our last two matches.

Bournemouth team news

Parker said in his pre-match press conference that it's unlikely he'll be able to welcome any injured players back this soon. That means the Cherries could be without Gary Cahill, Lloyd Kelly, Jordan Zemura, Ben Pearson, Junior Stanislas, Robbie Brady and Adam Smith. One player who will definitely miss the trip to the capital is Jefferson Lerma, following his dismissal at the weekend.

Tickets

Match tickets for this game have now sold out. Thank you for your terrific support! A limited number of hospitality packages remain.

Arrive early

Make sure you get to the Cottage in plenty of time to enjoy our early bird refreshment offers. Available until half an hour before kick-off – as will be the case at every home game this season – fans can take advantage of subsidised prices on a number of food, alcoholic and soft drink items.

Weather

There is a chance we could have rain at the Cottage, while temperatures will be around eight degrees.

Mascots

Wishing Sophie, Freddie and Riley a very warm welcome as our virtual mascots for this fixture!

Coverage

The match will be shown live on Sky Sports. Commentary from Gentleman Jim & Jamie Reid will be available to FFCtv subscribers.

Form

Fulham: WWWDD

Bournemouth: LWLDD

Player insight

Harrison Reed is relishing the opportunity to put on another show under the Cottage lights on Friday evening.

"For me, night games are the best, especially at home," he told FFCtv. "We seem to perform really well [in them] and the results always seem to be good.

"Friday night's one we're looking forward to, but it's just another game in a tough season.

"It's going to be a special atmosphere, I'm sure. The fans this season have been top drawer.

"Every home and away game they've been heard and they've driven us on, so I expect the same on Friday night, with a bit of an extra edge."

Pre-match quotes

"The biggest game of the season? Definitely not. We don't look to the game in this way. Is it a game that we want to win? Definitely yes."

Marco Silva
Fulham Head Coach

"They're flying. They're a very, very good side, I think we all see that. Technically a very good team, goals in their team, and a group of players that have navigated themselves out of this division numerous times."

Scott Parker
Bournemouth Head Coach

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/december/02/bournemouth-matchday-preview/

WhiteJC

Peter Rutzler shares Fulham injury latest ahead of Bournemouth clash

Fulham take on Bournemouth in the Championship on Friday.

Fulham currently sit in 1st-place of the Championship table and Bournemouth in 2nd, and on Friday evening the two will go up against each other at Craven Cottage.

It's become a huge game in the race for the Championship title and it's made even more interesting given the fact that former Fulham boss Scott Parker is the man in charge at Bournemouth.

Marco Silva is the Fulham manager, and he's had a fine season so far. And for tomorrow's game, he has few injuries to contend with.

The Athletic's Peter Rutzler revealed on Twitter earlier today that Ivan Cavaleiro will miss out, but that Nathaniel Chalobah is back in training and also that Tom Cairney is available for selection:

For Fulham and Silva then, they look to have a near full-strength side at their disposal going into a congested Christmas period.

The club still have some longer-term injuries to the likes of Terrence Kongolo but during a time when injuries are usually rife within the English Football League, Fulham seem to be coping well.

Strength in depth
Going into this campaign, many were tipping Fulham for success, not only because they have some highly talented players in their squad but because they plenty of them.

Silva hasn't rotated his side massively throughout the campaign so far but he's used enough of his players to ensure his key ones remain fit for the busy periods.

Tomorrow night, Bournemouth will be looking for a win amid a dip in form from them. But it'll be a difficult for both sides given how well either side have performed so far in the league.

The game kicks off at 7:45pm and is available to watch on both Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event.

https://the72.co.uk/256781/peter-rutzler-shares-fulham-injury-latest-ahead-of-bournemouth-clash/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth manager Scott Parker discusses 'very important' Mitrovic ahead of Fulham showdown

Bournemouth manager Scott Parker refused to engage in comparisons between forwards Alexander Mitrovic and Dominic Solanke.

The two in-form strikers are set to face each other tomorrow night, as Fulham welcome the Cherries to Craven Cottage in what already looks like a promotion decider.

Mitrovic currently leads the Championship's Golden Boot race, netting a staggering 21 goals in 19 league games. The Serbian is looking like he will break the division's goal-scoring record in a single season, just months after Brentford's Ivan Toney netted 30 last time out.

Bournemouth no.9 Solanke has bagged himself 15 goals in 20 games this campaign. The 24-year-old has already equalled his tally from last season, something Parker can take great credit for.

Comparing the strikers, however, was a discussion the Cherries' boss didn't want to involve himself in.

Speaking to the Bournemouth Echo, Parker said: "Two very, very good centre forwards, who score goals.

"Mitrovic is very important to Fulham, like Dominic Solanke is very important to us.

"Two very, very good forwards, I wouldn't want to engage in that one."

Friday's match-up between first and second place will certainly be one of outstanding quality. The two sides are by far the best within the Championship at the moment, with a seven-point gap separating Bournemouth in second and QPR in third.

Both sides have managed draws in their last two games, the Cottagers earning themselves two frustrating points against Preston and relegation-bound Derby County.

The Cherries are winless in three, picking up just two points versus Derby, Millwall and Coventry. The latter fought back from a two-goal deficit with ten men, scoring two late goals against Parker's side to earn themselves a draw.

Whoever emerges victorious out of tomorrow's fixture will surely be the favourite to bounce back up to the Premier League. One certainty is that both Mitrovic and Solanke's performances will have a huge impact on their respective team's result.

https://the72.co.uk/256753/bournemouth-manager-scott-parker-discusses-very-important-mitrovic-ahead-of-fulham-showdown/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva makes claim about Bournemouth clash against Fulham

There is a huge clash in the Championship this weekend, as two top of the table teams face off in Bournemouth against Fulham – and Marco Silva has spoken to the HammyEnd about the game ahead of the tie.

The Cottagers are the leaders in the league by just a point and a win for either side this weekend would see them take top spot and make it their own. Fulham could open up a four point lead over the Cherries with victory, while Scott Parker's side would leap above them if they bagged the win.

Despite the tie having such big ramifications – and being an important game – Fulham boss Marco Silva has been quick to play down the importance of the second tier tie, saying to the HammyEnd that he doesn't see this game 'any differently' when compared to other matches in the Championship.

The boss said: "For us it's another game. They are three points. I don't see this game differently to West Bromwich Albion, or Stoke when we played them as we were both in the play-off positions in the table. It's a game against a tough side that is there at the top with us, a team with a lot of quality, individual players with high technical quality. Good organisation as well.

"The biggest game of the season? Definitely not. We don't look to the game in this way."

Silva then is playing down the significance of the game and the result, perhaps as to not let the pressure build on his team before the game commences.

The Fulham boss has done well so far this season with his side, leading them 13 wins and just three losses so far this campaign. They're unbeaten in their last five too – and if they can make that six and pull off a win over Bournemouth this weekend, then it would go a long way towards establishing them as 'the team to beat' in the second tier this season.

The Verdict

Fulham and Bournemouth have both been very good in the Championship so far this year. They've picked up solid results and are well worthy of their current standings in the table.

A win for either side this weekend would be massive. No matter what Marco Silva says, a win is very important – and if Fulham could nab one, then it would put a little bit of daylight between them and the Cherries.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-makes-claim-about-bournemouth-clash-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v AFC Bournemouth

Marco Silva and Scott Parker's sides are the two leading scorers in the Championship this season

Scott Parker insists his return to Craven Cottage will be a sub-plot as the Championship's top two, Fulham and Bournemouth, go head-to-head on Friday.

Parker left Fulham for Bournemouth in June and just a point separates the two sides who have been the form horses in the division so far this season.

"It ain't about me," Parker said. "It's pure focus on us as a team trying to go there and get a result.

"We know we've got a massive challenge ahead against a very good side."

Bournemouth in second, are without a win in their past three games, but leaders Fulham have also had their quest to secure immediate promotion back to the Premier League checked in recent weeks. Marco Silva's side have seen back-to-back draws after a run of seven successive victories.

"It's a big game for both sides," Parker told BBC Radio Solent. "One point separates us, we're 20 games into the season and you've got the best two teams in the competition so far going head-to-head under the lights on a Friday night, so it's got all the makings of being a really exciting game."

Silva, Parker's successor in west London, is refusing to put much more significance on the fixture other than a chance to earn three more points.

"We're a [promotion] contender, they're a contender, but it won't be the first time that we'll have played against a contender this season," the former Everton boss told BBC Radio London.

"We've performed in those matches and we hope to do the same against Bournemouth.

"Whichever side gets the positive result will be the happier, but nothing will be decided after this match."

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic and Bournemouth's Dominic Solanke have scored a combined 36 Championship goals already this season

Friday's fixture will mark Parker's first visit to Fulham since his departure in the summer.

Coincidence has it that he takes his current team to his former one with the two clubs leading the charge for the automatic promotion places and third-placed QPR seven points adrift of Bournemouth.

Parker led Fulham to promotion through the play-offs in 2020, but was unable to keep them in the top flight last season. The 41-year-old took the offer to move to the south coast to try and mastermind Bournemouth's return to the Premier League at the second attempt following their play-off semi-final defeat by Brentford in May.

"I'd like to think I'll get a good reception," Parker said. "But you never know with football these days.

"It will be good to be back and see some familiar faces who I've not seen for a while, but we're here now and I'm enjoying myself and what we're striving towards as a team."

Silva is also not one to be distracted by the former allegiances of his opposite number in the dugout.

"It will be a tough game for us because of Bournemouth's quality," he said. "The way they are playing and how they are managed are just two reasons, but there's nothing more than that.

"I want to see all of us, all my players, all the staff, approach it the same way we have all season. Nothing more.

"It's Fulham against Bournemouth, not the names in the middle."

Hot shots face off
Silva has seen his side entertain with 49 goals in 20 league games, including 21 in 19 appearances from striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Bournemouth are the second-highest scorers in the Championship, but still some considerable distance behind on 36 with 15 of those coming from striker Dominic Solanke, seven from midfielder Philip Billing and six from the impressive forward Jaidon Anthony.

Bournemouth will be without midfielder Jefferson Lerma through suspension while there are doubts over a number of players, including centre-back Gary Cahill.

Fulham are expecting to welcome club captain Tom Cairney back from illness.

If their last Championship meeting at Craven Cottage is anything to go by, goals should be guaranteed.

Bournemouth beat Fulham 5-1 in March 2015, the same season they won the Championship title, and also on a Friday night - with Parker starting in Fulham's midfield and Cherries centre-back Steve Cook scoring their fifth.

"I felt like I couldn't get out of my own [penalty] box all game," Parker joked to BBC Radio Solent.

"I remember the game very, very well. We [Fulham] got eaten up and then spat out.

"Bournemouth on the day were incredible, it was a big result."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59426151

WhiteJC

Up next: AFC Bournemouth (h)

The mouthwatering prospect of a meeting between the Championship's top two, separated by just a single point, awaits at Craven Cottage on Friday night. Both Fulham and Bournemouth were threatening to build a sizeable advantage over the chasing pack until a couple of setbacks over the past week or so, but you would be hard pressed to find a bookmaker who wasn't packing the pair to both be automatically promoted come May. The return of Scott Parker to SW6 offers this clash an extra edge – and should generate plenty of column inches in the morning papers – however much sides seek to downplay the significance of his presence in the visiting dugout.

Parker's departure after an underwhelming return to the top flight wasn't without rancour. The Fulham board were disappointed in the lacklustre way the club went down, especially after giving themselves a fighting chance of survival with back-to-back wins on Merseyside. The suspicion remains that Parker, an astute manager of his own media profile, was engineering his exit having isolated a number of key players and his plan to offload the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic and Tom Cairney as part of a radical reshaping of the playing squad ahead of another tilt at the Championship now looks laughable. Fulham might well consider themselves fortunate to have dodged that particular bullet – as well as Parker's particularly sterile football.

Contrary to Parker's rather curious assertion yesterday that little has changed at Craven Cottage after he decamped to the south coast, Marco Silva has introduced a much more adventurous style of play, reinvigorated Mitrovic and successfully reintegrated Jean Michael Seri. Fulham's approach is now designed around attacking the opposition and giving creative players the platform to shine – rather than simply seeking to stay in matches. It is, of course, much easier to play this way in the Championship than in the pressure-cooker of the Premier League but few could argue that Parker's Fulham sides stretched pragmatism to the extreme. Other than the mullering of Millwall at Craven Cottage, there were few flowing performances under his stewardship and the Whites underwhelmed when expected to be one of the leading contenders for automatic promotion in 2019/20.

That is not to say that Parker has not put together a strong Bournemouth side. They are well drilled, look after the ball impressively and difficult to beat. Marrying Lloyd Kelly's promise with the experience of Gary Cahill makes for a miserly central defensive partnership and in, Phillip Billing, the Cherries have one of the division's most complete midfielders. Jaidon Anthony's emergence as a lively winger, who weighs in with crucial goals, has been one of the stories of the season alongside the goalscoring exploits of Dominic Solanke and the canny acquisition of the dangerous Ryan Christie. Make no mistake about it – Bournemouth will represent the toughest test of Fulham's season to date.

Parker will have to navigate his way around a significant injury crisis as he prepares for this fixture. Bournemouth might be without as many as nine first-team players for the trip to the capital. Kelly, Cahill, Adam Smith, Robbie Brady, Jordan Zemura, Ben Pearson, Junior Stanislas and David Brooks all missed Saturday's dramatic draw with Coventry City, in which Jefferson Lerma was sent off meaning the midfielder – who had lined in central defence – will be suspended tomorrow night. Parker cast doubt over whether any of his injured eight would be available tomorrow night, although there may be a degree of smoke and mirrors in operation when recalling how tightly he keeps his cards close to his chest.

Fulham's own selection will once again be dictated by how well key members of the squad have recovered from the norovirus bug that badly disrupted Silva's preparations for the draws against Derby and Preston. The Fulham head coach did suggest earlier today that Cairney will be available, having missed those two fixtures, although whether the playmaker will come straight back into the starting line-up remains to be seen. You'd feel that Fulham will need Harrison Reed's tenacity from the outset in what is likely to be a high octane clash and it would be strange to drop Seri given both his form and the opportunity to prove a point to his former boss. That motivation will be uppermost in Mitrovic's mind too – given how he and Parker clearly didn't see eye-to-eye in the last twelve months.

Fulham have passed most of the tests put in front of Silva's side this season. They easily dispatched West Brom at the end of October, sparking the Baggies poor run of form, and will need to perform at a similar level if they are not to surrender top spot. Parker will undoubtedly get a hot reception from a hostile home crowd, but the Whites can't afford to take their eye off the ball. Retaining focus, possession and putting an impressive Bournemouth defence under pressure from the first whistle will be essential.

MY FULHAM XI (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Tete, A. Robinson, Adarabioyo, Ream; Reed, Seri; Kebano, Wilson, Carvalho; Mitrovic. Subs: Gazzaniga, Odoi, Hector, Cairney, Onomah, Decordova-Reid, Muniz.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/12/up-next-afc-bournemouth-h/