News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham no.1 transfer deal needs to be done urgently - WAKE UP or lose Carvalho!

Started by Nick Bateman, January 30, 2022, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ara's bacon crisps

Let's be right - if a Portuguese starlet can't be persuaded to stay at a club one place below the PL by a Portuguese manager and a Portuguese assistant, then what can you do?

Unfortunately for us in this instance we have possibly the best Academy outside the PL and there is a conveyor belt of talent emerging for all the 'big' clubs circling to raid at their leisure for peanuts.

Until the rules change and you can sign a 17 year old for more than two years, or the tribunal grows a pair and suddenly wallops a predator with a £20m fee for an Academy product (or even a mandatory 75% sell on clause maybe?) this sort of thing is just going to keep happening.

I can understand Matt O'Riley leaving because he never got a game, but Carvalho is playing regularly and he's still going, so not sure what more we can do. Maybe the best thing we can do is swap him for a couple of Liverpool fringe players in the hope that they turn into another couple of Harry Wilsons?

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 30, 2022, 06:59:06 PM
There is literally nobody to blame here.

So true.

Fabio - If he is getting offered the wages that are reported, not sure how you can turn this down. No way Fulham can match them. You are also going to a big club with a manager who has not been afraid to play young players. Sink or swim, he will have an opportunity, it is on him to take it.

Liverpool - Acting now takes away the chance they could get outbid over the next 5 months. It is a small price to pay in transfer for a home grown guy who has shown the potential to be a Champions League attacking player.

Fulham - If he has made it clear he is leaving in July and you can get him loaned back for the rest of the season, seems a no brainer to sell him now if the price is right. Offset some FFP costs, bring in another RB and/or DM with the room his transfer creates and move forward with more clarity towards summer.

Even with the above being true I would be disappointed to see him transfer on, but until the club get more stable in the Premier League this is going to keep happening. Much like Ryan Sess though, if he stays on loan and helps the club gain promotion I will be thankful for his contributions and not hold any ill feelings towards him.

Nick Bateman

If he is determined to leave the club that found him at the age of 14 then we might as well take the blood money to invest in some other young scroat who will proably do the same again.

In the six months on loan, I would plough Fabio with cream cakes and high carb fatty milk drinks so that the time Liverpool get him permanently, he'll be the size and shape of Big Daddy!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

bugsy

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 30, 2022, 11:26:15 PM
If he is determined to leave the club that found him at the age of 14 then we might as well take the blood money to invest in some other young scroat who will proably do the same again.

In the six months on loan, I would plough Fabio with cream cakes and high carb fatty milk drinks so that the time Liverpool get him permanently, he'll be the size and shape of Big Daddy!
"blood money"?   Do you think there's a distinction between being a footballer compared to any other JOB?

Denver Fulham

The blame comes from only signing Fab to a 2-year contract when he was 17. Then it appears he had a dissatisfying year with Parker in charge and the die was cast.

But I'd like to know why we didn't nail down Fabio for 3 years in Summer 2020.

RaySmith

Sadly, our game  here is dominated by the wealthiest clubs, who can throw silly money around, make offers that can't be refused.

Of course, I wish Fab would chose to stay with us, where he would likely have a first team place in a Prem team next season, but I suppose from his point of view as an 18 year old, he's probably got 12 years of a  career at the top of the game ahead -  time that will be gone in a flash, and then he has his whole life ahead, so who can really blame  him for taking the money purported to be on offer.

And as a pro player - he knows that next week he could get a serious injury, and be out for ages and never be the same player again. Now,  he is right on his game and attracting all these offers - 'who knows what might be round the corner for you', I imagine he might  be advised, by family as well as avaricious agents - so get it while you can.

At least he is reportedly being loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

Jules

Quote from: Denver Fulham on January 31, 2022, 03:54:52 AM

The blame comes from only signing Fab to a 2-year contract when he was 17. Then it appears he had a dissatisfying year with Parker in charge and the die was cast.

But I'd like to know why we didn't nail down Fabio for 3 years in Summer 2020.
+1 totally agree. Crazy that we didn't tie him down much earlier

Somerset Fulham

I thought that two years was the maximum contract a club can give to a 17 year old?

Fulham1959

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 30, 2022, 06:17:25 PM
Whoever is in charge of Fulham's transfer dealings must act now or we shall regret this opportunity for years to come. Fabio Carvalho has already shown what an outstanding talent he is at the ripe age of 18, yet the club are in talks with future opponents of the club in allowing Liverpool to pinch him for a mere £5million.

Does Tony Khan actually need £5million? After the debacle when we were last promoted and promises were made that this would not happen again, it is happening again under our very noses.

Fulham should offer Calvalho and his agent SILLY MONEY to force the deal through. We have one day to finalize this procreation or we shall be forced to squander one of the best transfer discoveries this club has ever accomplished.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10457469/Liverpool-negotiating-5m-Fulham-star-attacking-midfielder-Fabio-Carvalho.html

Do you really think that Tony Khan and the rest of the Fulham hierarchy live in a bubble, don't share the same hopes and dreams of the fans, and aren't aware of the realities in modern day football ?

StuinSalop

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 31, 2022, 08:09:08 AM
I thought that two years was the maximum contract a club can give to a 17 year old?

I am pretty sure this is the case.  Fulham or any other club are being stitched up by the rules.  The other thing you have to remember is that because we have a great academy, we take the best players from other clubs too.  It's well documented and reported on here we took Woodrow from Luton, Elliott from QPR, etc etc.

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 30, 2022, 06:43:33 PM
Why would Silva state on Friday that he wasn't  going anywhere in this window....Surely he must know what's happening,if not and he goes the manager might look a fool for giving out that statement  on Friday,and he's far from a fool,so we will see.

He may not be leaving if we get him back on loan.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

fulhamfan

ron

Quote from: RaySmith on January 31, 2022, 05:28:06 AM
Sadly, our game  here is dominated by the wealthiest clubs, who can throw silly money around, make offers that can't be refused

...and, worse, those clubs can dominate the market by denying rivals access to talented youngsters by offering them the earth, but buying them just as benchwarmers.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 31, 2022, 09:45:11 AM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 31, 2022, 08:09:08 AM

I am pretty sure this is the case.  Fulham or any other club are being stitched up by the rules.  The other thing you have to remember is that because we have a great academy, we take the best players from other clubs too.  It's well documented and reported on here we took Woodrow from Luton, Elliott from QPR, etc etc.

I'm virtually certain it's a max of three years before Age 18.

Liverpool signed Harvey for three years when they poached him originally, and then re-upped him when he turned 18.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53311848

gerrys

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 30, 2022, 06:43:33 PM
Why would Silva state on Friday that he wasn't  going anywhere in this window....Surely he must know what's happening,if not and he goes the manager might look a fool for giving out that statement  on Friday,and he's far from a fool,so we will see.
Maybe he knew that there was a deal in the pipeline which would leave Fabio here until the end of the season  :023:

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 30, 2022, 10:48:33 PM

So true.

Fabio - If he is getting offered the wages that are reported, not sure how you can turn this down. No way Fulham can match them. You are also going to a big club with a manager who has not been afraid to play young players. Sink or swim, he will have an opportunity, it is on him to take it.

Liverpool - Acting now takes away the chance they could get outbid over the next 5 months. It is a small price to pay in transfer for a home grown guy who has shown the potential to be a Champions League attacking player.

Fulham - If he has made it clear he is leaving in July and you can get him loaned back for the rest of the season, seems a no brainer to sell him now if the price is right. Offset some FFP costs, bring in another RB and/or DM with the room his transfer creates and move forward with more clarity towards summer.

Even with the above being true I would be disappointed to see him transfer on, but until the club get more stable in the Premier League this is going to keep happening. Much like Ryan Sess though, if he stays on loan and helps the club gain promotion I will be thankful for his contributions and not hold any ill feelings towards him.

This is correct. I don't understand the juvenile and imbecilic hate being thrown towards Richardo or Fulham's managment. Lots of ignorance among some Fulham fans.

davew

I thought last minute offers would be flooding in for Carv, but doesn't seem that way...still 4 hours to go though!! Surely somebody will offer 10m for him?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Rupert

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on January 31, 2022, 05:51:56 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 30, 2022, 10:48:33 PM

So true.

This is correct. I don't understand the juvenile and imbecilic hate being thrown towards Richardo or Fulham's managment. Lots of ignorance among some Fulham fans.

The problem is, we all love our club and are naturally astonished to find that some of those fortunate enough to play for the Mighty Whites would actually prefer to play for someone else instead. How can this be, we ask? We, who would gladly wade through a river of gore to gain the honour of wearing the white shirt of Fulham FC are incapable of understanding that, to some people, it is merely a job. A well paid job, to be sure, but still, just a job. So, when one of our heroes turns out to be a mere mercenary, more interested in mere baubles like a Champions League winners medal, rather than our glorious adulation, we naturally cast about for who is to blame for this state of affairs. Hence the transfer team are clearly imbeciles for not making our man an unbeatable offer. Financial fair play? Pah! We care not for that. Suitor clubs are seen as better than us? Well, not by us, they aren't! We are the Mighty Fulham FC. How could anyone turn us down?

It obviously comes across as imbecilic and juvenile, though I suspect some is down to some smart people on the wind up, but it is mostly frustration and outrage finding an alternative outlet.

I do understand. I have never forgiven Bobby Campbell for selling Jimmy Conway to Manchester City. If I had a time machine I would go back in time and remove the Campbell tribe from all of history to prevent that outrage from happening. Only then it would turn out to be another sap responsible.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.