watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ryan Sess

Started by Zendra, February 24, 2022, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

At the time Ryan was often regarded as our best young player since Johnny Haynes. He treated the club with respect and signed a contract so we would get a big fee for him. Then he was under the spell/tuition of Moronio. Now he looks so shot of confidence when he gets the ball and he gives it to another player and says 'here mate you have a go'. Slav got the best out of him and I would have him back and let Marco work with him. Good luck Ryan. He who once after giving a late urine sample took his kit home to wash and iron for the next day. Can't imagine Pogba doing that....

092.gif

SG

Sess is a good young player but Spuds is a cess pitt and only a few young players have developed and progressed there. How many managers has he had since transferring - 4 or is it 5. A merry go round that will do nothing to develop him further. Under a decent manager in a team that plays to his strengths he would be an asset.
He took the cross field pass, beat the player and played the incisive pass inside the full back for TC to score that goal. I will support him forever for what he did for our club

bobby01

Tbf he went to spuds to develop under Pochettino, as soon as he went then sess's career started to go down the pan as the managers who followed poch have no interest in playing youth. It was really unlucky timing for him, he had a lot of potential but now is at an age where he needs to find a home, play every week and realise some of that potential that remains.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

filham

In all honesty I thought that Sess was no more than average at left back but that he had a good understanding with Mitro and a magnificent spell of goal poaching at Championship level.
Spurs have failed to develop this talent and it is now questionable whether Fulham or any other club can get him up to Premier League standard.
Carvalho should be made aware that the grass at the top clubs is not always greener than at the Cottage.

Riversider

Never had the courage to tackle and never had the desire to run at a defender and take him on and as a consequence nobody has ever known where to play him,
Will end up at the liked of Reading, QPR or Luton, and his brother will finish up even lower,
Sometimes it's not just about talent it's more about passion and hunger and I just don't think he's got that.

Tabby

Quote from: bobby01 on February 25, 2022, 10:06:21 AM
Tbf he went to spuds to develop under Pochettino, as soon as he went then sess's career started to go down the pan as the managers who followed poch have no interest in playing youth. It was really unlucky timing for him, he had a lot of potential but now is at an age where he needs to find a home, play every week and realise some of that potential that remains.

He is currently playing every week at least.

FFC1987

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 24, 2022, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on February 24, 2022, 10:19:44 PM
I have a couple of mates who are Spuds fans.  They both think he was one of the worst purchases they have ever made.  A bit harsh to me but I would agree that he left to early.  Feel bad for him and hope he turns things around. 

Wasn't he recently subbed after only being on the pitch for like 25 minutes or something? 

Yes, but that was seemingly a tactical substitution. Spurs were 2 nil down after 18 mins to Wolves " Tottenham gifted the visitors two goals in the opening 20 minutes thanks to a mixture of calamitous defending and poor goalkeeping by Hugo Lloris......Jimenez capitalised on a weak Lloris punch to volley in the opener before Spurs gave away possession to allow Leander Dendoncker to double Wolves' lead."  Conte brought on Dejan Kulusevski in an attacking role in an effort to get back into the game.   In Spurs next game (Man City) Sess played 93 mins, so hardly a vote of no confidence.  Last night he played 79 minutes.    I think much of fans' criticism of him equates to 'lazy journalism'.

It's a tough one. On that specific instance, following an individual ok performance and good team performance to the best team in the country, you'd think all was relatively ok. But if you look further than a few games, you'll see his first half, awful performance to essentially, a weaker than championship side in europe, where he was sent off, correctly, in the first half that led to an embarrassing loss. I really don't think on any metric, Sess has been a success during his time at Spurs, and even the most optimistic Spurs fans I know, think time will help, but aren't excited when he's selected.

I like him, think he's not quite where I think he should be when he left but that's understandable. Is he currently a top 4 player. No. Is he ok for a squad player there? Probably. Even in a rotation out of bench. But the amount they spent and the reputation he took with him, I'd be a disappointed Spurs fan to be honest. Albeit, with a slight optimism for the future.

Count Flapula

Biggest issue for Sess IMO was he's a bit like Bobby D-R - not in playing style, but in the sense that neither has a position.

Sess' main attributes are his inteligence/reading of the game and movement, as evidenced by the timing of his runs, where to run to and choice of pass/shot was often right. What he wasn't/isn't so good at is aggression or strength in the tackle, nor running with the ball at his feet and taking on players so almost the last position he should play is full back/wing back. In that position, you need to be defensively strong/aggresively controlled in the tackle (such as Tete), or good with the ball at your feet and taking players on (like Williams) - or ideally both. I'd say he's also not really cut out to play as a wide forward for lacking the second set of attributes.

The attributes he does have (football IQ, good movement, timing and decision making, passing and finishing) sound more like a no. 8 in the mould of David Platt, or a lesser Lampard.  When he was with us we always had TC there, plus he wasn't quite physically filled out to hold down that role. He seems to have grown into a man rather than a skinny boy now. It would be interesting to see him get a shot in that position IMO as he has all the mental attributes for that role - sadly I dont think Spurs have the luxury of trying him out there, but there is a lot of competition there for that role. In fact the only mental attribute he hasn't really displayed yet is resiliance at bouncing back from adversity - but that comes with experience.

If he can be played in a team and position that plays to his strengths, then maybe we can see what he is truly capable of.

joshfulham

Refreshing reading some of the comments on this thread.

I loved Sess and he had something about him. His positional awareness was well ahead of his years...

But he lacked pace, he lacked strength, and he was realistically never going to make it at the top level. I said this when he was being linked with a big money transfer and an England callup, and got slated for it, so it's nice to be proven right (for once!). He was poor for us under multiple managers in the Premier League, has been a disaster under various managers at Spurs, and had a bang average season on loan in Germany where top English talents tend to thrive.

Some people argue that he's the most talented youngster to come through our system, I'd argue he's the most overrated player that's played for us in my lifetime. I certainly would not take him back - he doesn't fit Silva's style at all and is not as talented as Kebano, Wilson, or even Ivan for that matter.

Sting of the North

Quote from: joshfulham on February 25, 2022, 12:19:18 PM

I loved Sess and he had something about him. His positional awareness was well ahead of his years...

But he lacked pace, he lacked strength, and he was realistically never going to make it at the top level. I said this when he was being linked with a big money transfer and an England callup, and got slated for it, so it's nice to be proven right (for once!). He was poor for us under multiple managers in the Premier League, has been a disaster under various managers at Spurs, and had a bang average season on loan in Germany where top English talents tend to thrive.

Some people argue that he's the most talented youngster to come through our system, I'd argue he's the most overrated player that's played for us in my lifetime. I certainly would not take him back - he doesn't fit Silva's style at all and is not as talented as Kebano, Wilson, or even Ivan for that matter.

Your assessment of being right is seemingly very premature. In my opinion. His so called failings in the Premier League could maybe be seen in context. The kid is still only 21 years old.

Personally I would argue that he is definitely a cut above a player like Kebano, for example. I also believe Silva could easily use Sess, and get him into scoring positions. And when that happens we know he has plenty of talent (as opposed to Kebano, again as an example).

The Rational Fan

He had too much game time at Fulham and while that developed his match experience, it put an incredible toll on a young body and he seems to have taken a few years to recover, but now he has rested his body from matchday he will develop into a fine player.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 25, 2022, 12:33:40 PM
He had too much game time at Fulham and while that developed his match experience, it put an incredible toll on a young body and he seems to have taken a few years to recover, but now he has rested his body from matchday he will develop into a fine player.

Nonsense...Too much game time and years to recover,he's a young fit person for christ sake,could play 3 games a week no bother..
Rooney for one was playing top class football  from 16 onwards,didn't affect him in any way or quite a few others as well.

Woolly Mammoth

How can you say this, on what grounds, he is an athlete finely tuned fit and well nourished and conditioned.
There is no toll, the pitches these days are like my Snooker rooms carpet a shag pile.
They don't even play a full game with all these substitutions, plus the tackle from behind has been banished.
It's a breeze for the modern day footballer.
Perhaps the only risk is when they dive they may hurt themselves or when they feign injury they may pull a cheek muscle when they grimace.
Your solution is to breed a generation of wimps and milky soft weak mentality wrapped up
in cotton wall and indulged by the media.
Pull yourself together man.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: bobby01 on February 25, 2022, 10:06:21 AM

Agreed. Doubt he ever goes to Spurs if he had known Pocchettino was going to get sacked within a few months of arriving.

FFC1987

Yeh, Jude Bellingham's 100 appearances at 18 in a much better, more competitive league/team have hampered him. I think I read this from maybe yourself before, but I can't really see how Sess struggling has any bearing on his playing experiences with us at a young age.....

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2022, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: joshfulham on February 25, 2022, 12:19:18 PM

Your assessment of being right is seemingly very premature. In my opinion. His so called failings in the Premier League could maybe be seen in context. The kid is still only 21 years old.

Personally I would argue that he is definitely a cut above a player like Kebano, for example. I also believe Silva could easily use Sess, and get him into scoring positions. And when that happens we know he has plenty of talent (as opposed to Kebano, again as an example).

I said when Sess joined Spurs he'd struggle as I didn't think he'd get the same opportunities with Son and Kane in front of him in terms of who gets the ball in the box on the pitch. Sess was/is wonderful at finding that yard of space and finishing. He used to be on last man, not defend too much and just capitalise on the space Mitro exploited through his persona as a striker you absolutely have to mark, hence creating natural space around him. Kane doesn't do this for me, he plays more of a QB/deep role and when he looks to play the player on the last man through, its Son/Moura, not Sess so he's not exactly the right fit right now for that club.

I'm not sure how effective Sess would be now under Silva tbh. Kebano brings something to the team I don't think Sess does and that's a skill and flare with pace that startles defenders. But he also likes to get in the box so I think brings a little more to the team than just goals which Sess would. I think Sess is a better player overall, just not sure the right fit for us right now either. I also haven't seen anything to indicate Sess is the same player (on form for us) as he was when he left. He could be, but unless he's on form, I lie what we have currently to be honest......

fatboy13

If we had a chance of re signing him for next season we'd be silly not to. Fans loved him, he did well for us & he still has connections to the club.
Let's not forget it's hard to sign prem quality players & enticing them to our club is going to be a challenge with the other teams like Newcastle & Villa able to spend big again -let alone the massive clubs doing it each year.

I really hope Silva can discover & sign some Portuguese young talented gems, just like Wolves did a few seasons back.
Personally I think we have a max of six players who will be able to cut it next season in the prem. Take nothing away from the team this year the guy's are flying and doing us & themselves proud, but its going to be a complete rebuilding project again over the summer.

FFC1987

I know some like/dislike stats but before we get carried away with Ryan's ability to walk into our team, since joining Spurs he has the following:

This season. 13 Appearances, no goals and no assists. 1 read card.

Last season (in Bundasliga on loan). 29 appearances, 2 goals and 3 assists.

19/20 season. Spurs. 12 appearances. 1 goal, 1 assist.

For us, his overall stats were 120 games. 25 goals. 18 assists.

First time I've looked at them. I seem to remember people saying he had done well on loan with Hoffenheim. I'm really not sure how we can say honestly, he's an EPL standard player till he starts to punch his numbers up to be honest.

bigalffc

Quote from: bog on February 25, 2022, 09:19:07 AM
At the time Ryan was often regarded as our best young player since Johnny Haynes. He treated the club with respect and signed a contract so we would get a big fee for him. Then he was under the spell/tuition of Moronio. Now he looks so shot of confidence when he gets the ball and he gives it to another player and says 'here mate you have a go'. Slav got the best out of him and I would have him back and let Marco work with him. Good luck Ryan. He who once after giving a late urine sample took his kit home to wash and iron for the next day. Can't imagine Pogba doing that....

092.gif
Absolutely agree
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2022, 01:51:01 PM
I know some like/dislike stats but before we get carried away with Ryan's ability to walk into our team, since joining Spurs he has the following:

This season. 13 Appearances, no goals and no assists. 1 read card.

Last season (in Bundasliga on loan). 29 appearances, 2 goals and 3 assists.

19/20 season. Spurs. 12 appearances. 1 goal, 1 assist.

For us, his overall stats were 120 games. 25 goals. 18 assists.

First time I've looked at them. I seem to remember people saying he had done well on loan with Hoffenheim. I'm really not sure how we can say honestly, he's an EPL standard player till he starts to punch his numbers up to be honest.

I like stats, but not sure these are the best to use in this particular instance. I would guess that some of those quite limited number of appearances for Spurs have been as a fullback/wing back, and perhaps a few as a sub. In any way, he has not had a consistent run in a successful team, for various reasons (of which several is not necessarily of his own fault).

In Hoffenheim he played exclusively as a full back or wing back as far as I know. Not sure that goal and assist stats are the best to use then. Not saying he was a success, just saying those stats don't say very much. At least he was playing every week (when not injured) in a league that is better than the Championship.

I agree that he hasn't proved so far that he is a PL level player on a consistent basis, but he is still a very young player.