On the Spurs forum comments about him

Looks like a 15 year old kid who has won a day playing for Spurs

Out of his depth

Championship player

If Fulham get promoted we can send him back

Timid

They don't seem over keen on our Ryan

Craven Mad

Left too early. Good price for us but, if he cared about a career, it was the wrong move for him.

I'd still take him back though - would like to see him linking up with Mitro again, for a knockdown fee.

love4ffc

I have a couple of mates who are Spuds fans.  They both think he was one of the worst purchases they have ever made.  A bit harsh to me but I would agree that he left to early.  Feel bad for him and hope he turns things around. 

Wasn't he recently subbed after only being on the pitch for like 25 minutes or something? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

blingo

I wouldn't want him back.

Craven Mad

That's right Conte hooked him straight off.

The kid is shot of confidence and being played far too deep. He was always most exciting in and around the opponent's box. I'd love to get him back on loan with an option to buy; I'd be confident that he'd find some form again.

Jamie88

I always felt with Sess that he never pushed on after our first promotion campaign. His main threat in the Championship wasn't his pace nor necessarily his technical ability, but his anticipation to be one step ahead of defenders around him to know where to be at the right time.
He wasn't quite good enough to stand out in the Premier League for me, which is why I thought it was a great deal our end to get £25m for him. I agree with others that it was far too soon for him in the PL, and ultimately the move to Spurs which many knew would end with him sitting on their bench or in their reserves, has ruined his progress.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: love4ffc on February 24, 2022, 10:19:44 PM
I have a couple of mates who are Spuds fans.  They both think he was one of the worst purchases they have ever made.  A bit harsh to me but I would agree that he left to early.  Feel bad for him and hope he turns things around. 

Wasn't he recently subbed after only being on the pitch for like 25 minutes or something? 

Yes, but that was seemingly a tactical substitution. Spurs were 2 nil down after 18 mins to Wolves " Tottenham gifted the visitors two goals in the opening 20 minutes thanks to a mixture of calamitous defending and poor goalkeeping by Hugo Lloris......Jimenez capitalised on a weak Lloris punch to volley in the opener before Spurs gave away possession to allow Leander Dendoncker to double Wolves' lead."  Conte brought on Dejan Kulusevski in an attacking role in an effort to get back into the game.   In Spurs next game (Man City) Sess played 93 mins, so hardly a vote of no confidence.  Last night he played 79 minutes.    I think much of fans' criticism of him equates to 'lazy journalism'.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ron

It has saddened me over the years that the Spurs' bench or reserves has been perceived as a good career move for generations of our talented youngsters (and not so young ones). Still, they all got paid well, and I guess that's justification enough in this mercenary world.

bobbo

Quote from: blingo on February 24, 2022, 10:24:29 PM
agree totally . I never thought he was as good as many people speculated. Having said that he's a very decent player but just not the superstar many we're portraying him to be. I remember some around me in the riverside saying you don't know what you're talking about but I honestly think even in those early days my assessment of him wasn't far off the mark.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Andy S

I agree with a lot of the comments here. Sess was a decent player as a lot of players coming through the ranks were. He was never a world beater and needed to develop his entire game. He is still young so can still do it but he needs the right coaching without pressure. If he came back to us he might expect preferential treatment so I wouldn't want him back. But I'm sure his correct level is probably lower than the prem

HatterDon

A young talented English player transferred to Spuds is going to wither on the vine. It's a swirling drain.

Sess is a quality player. Tottenham is poison -- from the ownership to the foreign gaffers they hire.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

gang

Quote from: bobbo on February 24, 2022, 10:59:09 PM
Quote from: blingo on February 24, 2022, 10:24:29 PM
agree totally . I never thought he was as good as many people speculated. Having said that he's a very decent player but just not the superstar many we're portraying him to be. I remember some around me in the riverside saying you don't know what you're talking about but I honestly think even in those early days my assessment of him wasn't far off the mark.

+1

Cambridge Away

When i read these comments it makes me think that all of you must have had such linear journeys in life.

I will say it again, Ryan Sessegnon was one of the most talented players i have ever seen in a Fulham shirt.

I hope that whatever is affecting him, and his brother, they will get over and that they both are able to push on again.

Jesus christ, soon someone will be telling me Jean Tigana was average because he was suitably replaced by Chris Coleman   :doh:

Sting of the North

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 24, 2022, 10:45:37 PM

Yes, but that was seemingly a tactical substitution. Spurs were 2 nil down after 18 mins to Wolves " Tottenham gifted the visitors two goals in the opening 20 minutes thanks to a mixture of calamitous defending and poor goalkeeping by Hugo Lloris......Jimenez capitalised on a weak Lloris punch to volley in the opener before Spurs gave away possession to allow Leander Dendoncker to double Wolves' lead."  Conte brought on Dejan Kulusevski in an attacking role in an effort to get back into the game.   In Spurs next game (Man City) Sess played 93 mins, so hardly a vote of no confidence.  Last night he played 79 minutes.    I think much of fans' criticism of him equates to 'lazy journalism'.

Most sensible post in this thread by some distance.

Cookie6262

I love Sessegnon, will never forget his season under Slav and will never forget that he signed a contract and gave us a year in the Prem and a big transfer fee but I would not have him back. Firstly second home comings after a successful first spell are dangerous because of high expectations and secondly he isn't a defender I don't think he is an upgrade on Kebano. I would look for a winger in the summer but not Sess, I mentioned I would have Lookman back and most in here disagreed with me which I get but taking emotion out of the equation Lookman is a better player.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Cambridge Away on February 25, 2022, 01:08:36 AM
When i read these comments it makes me think that all of you must have had such linear journeys in life.

I will say it again, Ryan Sessegnon was one of the most talented players i have ever seen in a Fulham shirt.

I hope that whatever is affecting him, and his brother, they will get over and that they both are able to push on again.

Jesus christ, soon someone will be telling me Jean Tigana was average because he was suitably replaced by Chris Coleman   :doh:

I like the boy,but I think he found his Niche in the way we played under Slava...Has been at Spuds and out on loan so has had chances under different  managers to show his worth.
As for saying Cambridge that he is one of the most talented  Fulhan players,then I can only believe  that's your opinion or you haven't seen that many.
I'd  say over the years I've  seen well over a hundred  more talented than him,who've worn our shirt.

RaySmith

Yes, Conte had to take dramatic action, but Sess in his wing back position, didn't seem immediately at fault for Spurs going two down, and then he was picked by Conte for the next two games, as said.

Spurs fan reaction is way over the top, but they probably thought they were getting a wunderkind of a player, who can take defenders on with pace, and score, rather than a quietly effective team player, who  does the basics well, and  one of whose main attributes is finding space to receive a pass- is in the right place at the right time, and his own passing and crossing.

He is definitely a top young player, but his talents aren't always obvious to fans, maybe, except when he scores, as he did, importantly, for Fulham in the Champ. and which is much harder in the Prem, especially when he isn't a striker.

Perhaps it would have been better for his career, and personally, to have stayed at Fulham, but you can't blame him for taking the chance when it came - for the career opportunities as a player , as well as financial reasons.

Does he think he is a failure? - when he  seems to be  regularly playing  in Spurs first 11, despite what their fans might say on social media - well, I hope he tries not to look at that stuff, something that players, and everyone in the game today, has to deal with.

Twig

Quote from: RaySmith on February 25, 2022, 07:37:36 AM

Yes, Conte had to take dramatic action, but Sess in his wing back position, didn't seem immediately at fault for Spurs going two down, and then he was picked by Conte for the next two games, as said.

Spurs fan reaction is way over the top, but they probably thought they were getting a wunderkind of a player, who can take defenders on with pace, and score, rather than a quietly effective team player, who  does the basics well, and  one of whose main attributes is finding space to receive a pass- is in the right place at the right time, and his own passing and crossing.

He is definitely a top young player, but his talents aren't always obvious to fans, maybe, except when he scores, as he did, importantly, for Fulham in the Champ. and which is much harder in the Prem, especially when he isn't a striker.

Perhaps it would have been better for his career, and personally, to have stayed at Fulham, but you can't blame him for taking the chance when it came - for the career opportunities as a player , as well as financial reasons.

Does he think he is a failure? - when he  seems to be  regularly playing  in Spurs first 11, despite what their fans might say on social media - well, I hope he tries not to look at that stuff, something that players, and everyone in the game today, has to deal with.

Some good sense in the replies here. In my opinion Sess was a youngster with huge potential at the time of leaving us but the emphasis is on potential. Unfortunately at Spuds Conte and his coaching team appear to have done diddly squat to develop that potential whilst knocking his confidence too.
No way do I share the view that he was over rated or that the Championship is his level. Focus on coaching his development, have patience and when he does play for goodness sake play him in the right position. I'm absolutely convinced there's a Prem level play in there.

Beamer

Ryan never looked like an out and out full back and I always felt he would turn into a winger or attacking midfielder but he seems to have fallen somewhere between the two stools. Great shame because I thought he had the potential to be become a top quality player with a natural eye for goal and good passing skills in and around the box. In the few games he played for Spurs when he finally got a chance it seemed clear that Kane didn't rate him as he was very reluctant to give him the ball. I watched one game in particular where he would look anywhere to make a pass rather than use Sess even when the lad was in a good position down the left flank and it looked the obvious pass which cannot help the confidence of a young lad. Kane will have seen him in training so had obviously made a judgment on him and maybe he was right (or not), however the Spurs side at the time wasn't that good so difficult to tell what was going on and Sess was soon sent out on loan. Conte has been using him more so perhaps he has seen something in him, I would like to see him get back to his best as he has talent which it would be sad to see wasted.

Snibbo

Was overhyped. "The next  Gareth Bail". He never had that level of skill or ball control

What he had was a great instinct in the box and speed

One of Slav's worst mistakes was playing him as a fullback.