more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ryan Sess

Started by Zendra, February 24, 2022, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Quote from: Cambridge Away on February 25, 2022, 01:08:36 AM
When i read these comments it makes me think that all of you must have had such linear journeys in life.

I will say it again, Ryan Sessegnon was one of the most talented players i have ever seen in a Fulham shirt.

I hope that whatever is affecting him, and his brother, they will get over and that they both are able to push on again.

Jesus christ, soon someone will be telling me Jean Tigana was average because he was suitably replaced by Chris Coleman   :doh:

Send me two pints of whatever you're drinking. One of the best players to ever grace a fulham shirt???? I seriously disagree sir.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2022, 01:34:54 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2022, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: joshfulham on February 25, 2022, 12:19:18 PM
Refreshing reading some of the comments on this thread.

I loved Sess and he had something about him. His positional awareness was well ahead of his years...

But he lacked pace, he lacked strength, and he was realistically never going to make it at the top level. I said this when he was being linked with a big money transfer and an England callup, and got slated for it, so it's nice to be proven right (for once!). He was poor for us under multiple managers in the Premier League, has been a disaster under various managers at Spurs, and had a bang average season on loan in Germany where top English talents tend to thrive.

Some people argue that he's the most talented youngster to come through our system, I'd argue he's the most overrated player that's played for us in my lifetime. I certainly would not take him back - he doesn't fit Silva's style at all and is not as talented as Kebano, Wilson, or even Ivan for that matter.

Your assessment of being right is seemingly very premature. In my opinion. His so called failings in the Premier League could maybe be seen in context. The kid is still only 21 years old.

Personally I would argue that he is definitely a cut above a player like Kebano, for example. I also believe Silva could easily use Sess, and get him into scoring positions. And when that happens we know he has plenty of talent (as opposed to Kebano, again as an example).

I said when Sess joined Spurs he'd struggle as I didn't think he'd get the same opportunities with Son and Kane in front of him in terms of who gets the ball in the box on the pitch. Sess was/is wonderful at finding that yard of space and finishing. He used to be on last man, not defend too much and just capitalise on the space Mitro exploited through his persona as a striker you absolutely have to mark, hence creating natural space around him. Kane doesn't do this for me, he plays more of a QB/deep role and when he looks to play the player on the last man through, its Son/Moura, not Sess so he's not exactly the right fit right now for that club.

I'm not sure how effective Sess would be now under Silva tbh. Kebano brings something to the team I don't think Sess does and that's a skill and flare with pace that startles defenders. But he also likes to get in the box so I think brings a little more to the team than just goals which Sess would. I think Sess is a better player overall, just not sure the right fit for us right now either. I also haven't seen anything to indicate Sess is the same player (on form for us) as he was when he left. He could be, but unless he's on form, I lie what we have currently to be honest......

I agree that Sess does not look like the same player. Neither does Neeskens, but there it's the other way around. Of course if we compare Neeskens in the form of his life in a free scoring team that dominates every game with Sessegnon seemingly completely devoid of confidence in and out of the starting eleven in a struggling team, then we only have one winner. I believe the theory is that Sessegnon would be allowed a chance to regain his confidence and rhytm and then maybe turn out to be a real upgrade. I for sure believe he would be.

As for whether or not he would fit in with Silva's team, I wouldn't worry too much. The kid is a very smart player, Silva is seemingly a smart manager. I am confident they would figure it out.

But most likely we will never find out, so it's anyone's guess. My money would still be on Sessegnon having a successful career in the Premier League, and Neeskens being found out next year. I hope I am right on Sessegnon and wrong on Neeskens.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2022, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2022, 01:51:01 PM
I know some like/dislike stats but before we get carried away with Ryan's ability to walk into our team, since joining Spurs he has the following:

This season. 13 Appearances, no goals and no assists. 1 read card.

Last season (in Bundasliga on loan). 29 appearances, 2 goals and 3 assists.

19/20 season. Spurs. 12 appearances. 1 goal, 1 assist.

For us, his overall stats were 120 games. 25 goals. 18 assists.

First time I've looked at them. I seem to remember people saying he had done well on loan with Hoffenheim. I'm really not sure how we can say honestly, he's an EPL standard player till he starts to punch his numbers up to be honest.

I like stats, but not sure these are the best to use in this particular instance. I would guess that some of those quite limited number of appearances for Spurs have been as a fullback/wing back, and perhaps a few as a sub. In any way, he has not had a consistent run in a successful team, for various reasons (of which several is not necessarily of his own fault).

In Hoffenheim he played exclusively as a full back or wing back as far as I know. Not sure that goal and assist stats are the best to use then. Not saying he was a success, just saying those stats don't say very much. At least he was playing every week (when not injured) in a league that is better than the Championship.

I agree that he hasn't proved so far that he is a PL level player on a consistent basis, but he is still a very young player.

I guess I'm a little less apologist compared to you in this regard (that's not a slight). The omission of some stats ie poor goals/assists stats over 3 seasons, can't just be down to him not playing/being limited. If he was doing the business, even on the training ground, he'd feature more. But regarding your main point, it's not the whole story and I agree, and I'm certainly not writing him off. I'd love him back, no question. I'm just not really as confident, he'd have that massive impact that some seem to suggest. I actually think he'd struggle to hold down a place unless he came back with previous high form levels, somethign we haven't seen from him at all since he left.   

At the end of the day, his CV as a winger, doesn't make for a good read with any stats I can come up with (since leaving). Add in key passes, dribbles, distance covered. Nothing really seems to say to me he has had a good time of it unfortunately. If that means we can get him back then.......please may it continue.

Sting of the North

Broadly agree with you FFC1987, good discussion.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2022, 04:51:08 PM

Yeh, you too. Fingers crossed for a big win tomorrow!

Mr K.Dilkington

Foolish ham

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2022, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2022, 04:51:08 PM

Yeh, you too. Fingers crossed for a big win tomorrow!

082.gif

vancouver

Of course we would take him back.

Look towards Zaha at CP. He is low risk high reward assuming we can get him on the cheap.

Bigger issue wont be a transfer fee. but his wages. We can afford them, however he is on close to Mitro money at spurs and id imagine it would upset some of our established pro's and youngsters if we splash out 100K a week on a rotational player.   

jarv

Agree with Hatterdon.  Spurs are poison.   get him back and with a decent coach (which we now have) he can regain his confidence.  What did spuds pay?  Give them 10% for his return.

Donnie Lonegan

Spurs stole Dembele from us, so Sessegnon was payback. He was never anyhere near as good as he was hyped up to be.

RaySmith

Quote from: Donnie Lonegan on February 26, 2022, 05:27:55 AM
Spurs stole Dembele from us, so Sessegnon was payback. He was never anyhere near as good as he was hyped up to be.

Sess is a different type of player to Dembele, and I think Spurs fans were expecting a more obviously 'brilliant' player - though Dembele developed a lot at Fulham, with a change of position- while Sess's qualities are more understated.

Jules

It was great business from us to sell him for what we got (£25m I think?). Love what he did whilst he was with us but he made up his mind to move on, it hasn't worked out (so far) and I dont think he is PL standard, albeit going to Spurs of all places won't have helped him with all the managerial changes, pressure of success etc. Conte seems to be involving him though, but I think his opportunities will soon start to become limited there. On the topic of welcoming him back, not for me. We need proven prem quality next year. I wish him luck of course and hope he manages to find a club where he can establish himself.

Cookie6262

£25 million plus Onamah I think which was great business. Spurs hardly stole Dembele from us the triggered his £15 million release clause so we got good money for him shame they waited until the last day of the window to do it 🤦‍♂️

Somerset Fulham

Well for a player who isn't up to much, he's currently a starter for a side still aiming for Champions League and ahead of Regulion (who played for Madrid) and doing so under one of the best managers in the world.

I wouldn't say that's too bad.

St Eve

He just set up Spurs first goal

FFC1987

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on February 26, 2022, 12:31:57 PM
Well for a player who isn't up to much, he's currently a starter for a side still aiming for Champions League and ahead of Regulion (who played for Madrid) and doing so under one of the best managers in the world.

Just to correct this, Regulion is injured, Sess is coming in for him.

Saying this, we can add an assist to his name today!

Somerset Fulham

He's fit enough to be on the bench, mind!

St Eve

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 26, 2022, 12:41:48 PM

[/

Regulion is not injured. He was dropped for Doherty who just scored

FFC1987

Quote from: St Eve on February 26, 2022, 12:50:32 PM

[/

He's at like 70% fitness coming back from injury. He'd be playing if fit. Regulion plays only on the ,eft where Sess is playing....

St Eve

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 26, 2022, 12:53:52 PM
Quote from: St Eve on February 26, 2022, 12:50:32 PM

[/

He's at like 70% fitness coming back from injury. He'd be playing if fit. Regulion plays only on the ,eft where Sess is playing....
Then Doherty would not be playing. Sess would be playing