watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defining Moment

Started by Woolly Mammoth, April 07, 2022, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

The quality of Mitros Header last night and the manner of the way it was scored against an in form team currently with an excellent home record in the north east on a wet cold night, scoring the winner and keeping a clean sheet was the defining moment of the season for me, i could not have written the script better myself.
Prior to the match supporters on here we're expressing their doubts about the team selected and the task of winning on the night up in Middlesborough and i can understand how they felt and i decided not to comment because every silver lining has a cloud in the same way as every cloud has a Silva lining, and i am aware Fulham pull off victories unexpectedly in the same way they can orchestrate a defeat unexpectedly, all very Fulhamish but very welcome last night and i am glad i kept my powder dry.

Nevertheless what really got my adrenaline going was the determination, the character, the last ditch tackles, the resilience in their faces and the "not one step back" manner of the team performance.

This was without a doubt one of the grittier performances and it was encouraging to see our players right up to the last minute working so hard off the ball pressing their players and putting their bodies on the line which all contributed to a fine away victory.
A lesser team than Fulham would not have succeeded in coming away with all three points.

Yes a defining moment for so many different reasons, and that finishing line really is in sight.
But it is not about the finishing line just yet, it is about the next game at home to Coventry City, and we must look no further than the next match because that is what successful clubs do.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

What struck me about the goal was the obvious intention to keep the box clearer of players so that Mitro could run into space. So often normally, if Mitro is placed in the box, there are two or more around him and he fails to get clean headers in. It worked a treat.

It was a great gritty performance and, if Boro think that they should have had a point in the last quarter, then they need to take chances of the quality that they made.  Rather like the BDR chance that would have made it 2-0. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

Shame that Reed didn't look up to see two men before he put that ball across the face of the goal. Otherwise we might have had a goal cushion from the second minute, and a less adrenaline-charged night!

But I'm not trying to gild the lily...it was a fine win and a great evening's entertainment.

Finnans Right Peg

The goal was another example of what a manager Silva is .

Can anybody tell me the last time we scored so many goals from set pieces and what our record is for  set piece goals in a single season

cmg

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on April 07, 2022, 11:55:23 AM
The goal was another example of what a manager Silva is .

Can anybody tell me the last time we scored so many goals from set pieces and what our record is for  set piece goals in a single season

I agree. I've often been a bit sniffy about the effectiveness of managers, but it has been an absolute revelation the way we have turned free-kicks and corners into genuine goal scoring opportunities rather than just methods of getting the ball back into play.
The opposition know what a threat Mitro is, yet time and again we have created space for him to operate.
Last night the Boro manager bemoaned (with some justification) his sides poor defence on the goal, but that overlooks our creativity in those situations.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 07, 2022, 10:03:38 AM
The quality of Mitros Header last night and the manner of the way it was scored against an in form team currently with an excellent home record in the north east on a wet cold night, scoring the winner and keeping a clean sheet was the defining moment of the season for me, i could not have written the script better myself.
Prior to the match supporters on here we're expressing their doubts about the team selected and the task of winning on the night up in Middlesborough and i can understand how they felt and i decided not to comment because every silver lining has a cloud in the same way as every cloud has a Silva lining, and i am aware Fulham pull off victories unexpectedly in the same way they can orchestrate a defeat unexpectedly, all very Fulhamish but very welcome last night and i am glad i kept my powder dry.

Nevertheless what really got my adrenaline going was the determination, the character, the last ditch tackles, the resilience in their faces and the "not one step back" manner of the team performance.

This was without a doubt one of the grittier performances and it was encouraging to see our players right up to the last minute working so hard off the ball pressing their players and putting their bodies on the line which all contributed to a fine away victory.
A lesser team than Fulham would not have succeeded in coming away with all three points.

Yes a defining moment for so many different reasons, and that finishing line really is in sight.
But it is not about the finishing line just yet, it is about the next game at home to Coventry City, and we must look no further than the next match because that is what successful clubs do.
Great post and couldn't agree more. I'm still buzzing from the manner in which we dug in. Such a contrast to Coventry away and it's performances like last night's that wins titles.

WindyCity

Excellent commentary by the OP.  I might also add to the discussion the QPR win as well.  Two hard fought, 'gritty' wins on the road.  Two clean sheets, 2 nil and 1 nil, and a resulting 6 points.  These 6 points will go a long ways to gaining promotion.  Not there quite yet, but it sure looks promising.  Five road games in a row, with a gain of ten points.  Terrific!

Would love to see a resounding welcome back   :clap_hands: from the home crowd this Sunday.  Will be nice to return to CC and pick up another win in front of our fans.  COYW

filham

Very good OP Woolly. I would just add that on hearing the selected team, Williams, Robinson and Cairney missing, I thought that Silva had got it wrong but once again he proved to be right.

Dunstable Fulham

Brilliant post - sums my thoughts up perfectly.

ALG01

i would never be one to argue with you so I shall not but ony comment like this.
I thought the tem selection lacked adventure and very nearly cost us for the reason we lost at WBA.
This season's team is founded on adventure and having at least one of seri or tom to provide top quality passes and to ensure we give the opposition more to think about thn we have to worry about them.

I am happier when we press forward in numbers even if leave a few spaces behind us. as it was in the second half boro created more than enough good chances to win the game... it wasn't our last ditch challenges but lack of a killer touch that did for them. we played brilliantly in respect of effort and commitment even carv put in a ridiculous amount of effort, he was everywhere.
but playing challobah and not seri meant we were slow and ponerous way to often and lost posseion cheaply as a result.

I was thrilled with the result but the game at wba which we lost and this one were poor IMO and we have previously and should have at boro shown way more adventure.

Good to win 'ugly' we all know that but i thought this display was self inflicted.

i hate to dampen the euphoria but that is how I saw it, we need to continue with style.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ALG01 on April 07, 2022, 10:13:46 PM

i would never be one to argue with you so I shall not but ony comment like this.
I thought the tem selection lacked adventure and very nearly cost us for the reason we lost at WBA.
This season's team is founded on adventure and having at least one of seri or tom to provide top quality passes and to ensure we give the opposition more to think about thn we have to worry about them.

I am happier when we press forward in numbers even if leave a few spaces behind us. as it was in the second half boro created more than enough good chances to win the game... it wasn't our last ditch challenges but lack of a killer touch that did for them. we played brilliantly in respect of effort and commitment even carv put in a ridiculous amount of effort, he was everywhere.
but playing challobah and not seri meant we were slow and ponerous way to often and lost posseion cheaply as a result.

I was thrilled with the result but the game at wba which we lost and this one were poor IMO and we have previously and should have at boro shown way more adventure.

Good to win 'ugly' we all know that but i thought this display was self inflicted.

i hate to dampen the euphoria but that is how I saw it, we need to continue with style.

Please do not despair, instead embrace the victory.
It appears Cairney was not available, as for Seri i can only think that Marco chose horses for courses.
Having both Seri and Reed in the same midfield on this occasion would have shown a lack of height and physicality and Reed got the nod due to his tenacity and workrate.
Picking challobah showed that we wanted to take the sting out of the game from the ko.
Sow seeds of doubt in their minds and wear them down.
Hence the reason we were on top in the first 15 minutes. This shaped the game because we did not concede early on so we were not chasing the game, and goals change games.

Bringing Josh on for Challobah was a like for like to establish that we could match their physicality and go toe to toe with Borough on their patch in their backyard on a cold wet night, that's what Champions do, orchestrated by good game management by Marco.
Remember Borough are no mugs, we did not just beat anybody.

There will always be periods where every team at that standard will have a period of pressure it's 11 v 11 they are not immortal.
To force  the opponent march to the beat of our tune and at our tempo as Marco Silva did to Borough, that makes Fulham the guvenors for enough of the game to keep a clean sheet and a clean pillow case, and we  even had time to score a peach of a goal to secure a glorious win which our players performances deserve.

We kept our shape and even when they managed to get round the back of our defence we restored our balance, because players tucked in and tracked back giving us depth in defence.
Of course it was never going to be a picnic,  but we knew that before the game.
As we all know there is more  than one way to win a game, more than one way to skin a cat.

Can you imagine how the players felt on their way home let alone the traveling fans.
It can even warm the heart of the most negative supporters.
Saviour these moments, i am because you cannot guarantee  when they will come round again.
There is certainly no complaints from me, only fond memories of how far our Fulham Squad has come from the wasteland of relegation less than 12 months ago, and believe me when i say that many a club will raise their eyebrows when our result came in last night confirming that Fulham keep marching on towards the promised land whilst deflating our promotion rivals into accepting they are fighting amongst themselves for the remaining two places. 

So ALGOI please pour yourself a large Dark Rum and raise a glass to toast that Fulham performance and result.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Snibbo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 07, 2022, 11:23:15 PM
So ALGOI please pour yourself a large Dark Rum and raise a glass to toast that Fulham performance and result.

:plus one:

Thailand Mick

Quote from: filham on April 07, 2022, 07:05:24 PM
Very good OP Woolly. I would just add that on hearing the selected team, Williams, Robinson and Cairney missing, I thought that Silva had got it wrong but once again he proved to be right.
read somewhere that cairney was injured and Williams was excused from playing for personal reasons.

Mince n Tatties

👌👌👌

RaySmith

Quote from: Thailand Mick on April 08, 2022, 05:31:21 AM
Quote from: filham on April 07, 2022, 07:05:24 PM
read somewhere that cairney was injured and Williams was excused from playing for personal reasons.

GJ confirmed those things  - Williams had a family bereavement, and I think h said that Tom had been injured in training.

Great op and  posts from Woolly.

Fulham Tup North

For some reason I get the impression that if he takes you up on your offer....the glass will be half empty!! 😉🤣👍
COYW

[/quote]
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Cobh Fulham Fan

I couldnt but help feel its all done and dusted now, while listening to both managers assessments after the game, when the Boro manager said, although his players had opportunities to snatch a victory, he added that the Fulham players had the better mental approach and caught his men asleep for that special goal and that's why they are league leaders. He finished by wishing Fulham good luck, and I think he meant that with regards to next year. 

bill taylors apprentice

Footballs more than just playing attractive attacking football, even when you have strong offensive options.
You were wrong in your pre match opinion because the team was selected and set up to counter an in form opposition's threats, the conditions and win the game.

No need to play cavalier football in the atrocious weather and risk going behind and anyway there have been other hard fought wins this season by one goal with a more attacking line up on display.

Equally, there have been lost points with Seri playing (not knocking him) so I can't see your point?

Yes, the team was similar to the WBA game but the difference was the players never executed the plan properly against Albion and on Wednesday they did.
Totally agree with the OP>

ALG01

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on April 08, 2022, 07:16:35 AM

For some reason I get the impression that if he takes you up on your offer....the glass will be half empty!! 😉🤣👍
COYW

Good one, I apprecoiate the humour and do like rum but have not touched any alcohol for months. However I didn't say i wasn't happy with the win of course i was but not sure that was the right tactics even if we did get the result.
However loved the humour  064.gif  082.gif

ALG01

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on April 08, 2022, 10:24:58 AM

Footballs more than just playing attractive attacking football, even when you have strong offensive options.
You were wrong in your pre match opinion because the team was selected and set up to counter an in form opposition's threats, the conditions and win the game.

No need to play cavalier football in the atrocious weather and risk going behind and anyway there have been other hard fought wins this season by one goal with a more attacking line up on display.

Equally, there have been lost points with Seri playing (not knocking him) so I can't see your point?

Yes, the team was similar to the WBA game but the difference was the players never executed the plan properly against Albion and on Wednesday they did.
Totally agree with the OP>

I think some of you take offence at what i say just because its me. My pre match comments were all correct and the game panned out that way but we were mighty lucky. Boro created way more than enough chances to have at least got a point. We made all the same errors in this game as against boro but had one brilliant momment from a free kick that saw us score.

I understand digging in and backs to the wall and we did that very well indeed, no cpomplaints and the effort was teriffic but they may made way to many chances that could have and should have been taken.

My comments were correct, we were lucky but fortunately the dice rolled our way, I have seen enough football over the years to know that is the case.

Our team and squad is suited to taking the game to the opposition and that is how we come to be so far ahead and drawing so many compliments. Boro aren't that good that we needed to change the whole approach to the game.