News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should We Keep Our Full Backs As They Are?

Started by White Noise, January 03, 2011, 07:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Should Pantsil stay at right back for the time being based on his recent performances?

Also, would you keep Baird at LB or move him into Etuhu's role and put Kelly, Briggs or Salcido at LB?

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 03, 2011, 07:45:43 AM
Should Pantsil stay at right back for the time being based on his recent performances?

Also, would you keep Baird at LB or move him into Etuhu's role and put Kelly, Briggs or Salcido at LB?
Baird has to stay in the starting lineup. Jury is still out on Pantsil. I think the future is bright for Briggs.
Fulham for life!

Lighthouse

Long term we need full backs. Salcido is fine in a side that is on the uppers but not in a side struggling. OK so he is better going forward but cannot defend. Right now Baird is doing the job at LB and should stay there. Pants is doing well and should stay at RB. More importantly the shape of the back four seemed to look more solid with Baird playing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Pants was the weakest of the back five in the last two years so I have no problem looking for another,but given the needs at the moment he stays till at least the summer.
The LB position is more difficult,salcido does not look up to the job in the premiership,no fault of his just the pace catches foreign players out compared to european lgs. I would prefer baird in cm in place of dickson but the need of the team comes first.

TonyGilroy

The full backs aren't the problem. Defensively we're solid but must have more presence, zip and menace up front. Once that's sorted other parts of the team can be considered.

Burt

Agree with Mr Gilroy - there are more pressing things to fix. If we can't score, we won't win... Sounds obvious, but....

alfie

what about playing Salcido in front of Baird, he could get down the line and whip in some crosses, but then again who would be on the end of them, nah forget that idea
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

sipwell

Quote from: alfie on January 03, 2011, 10:57:26 AM
what about playing Salcido in front of Baird, he could get down the line and whip in some crosses, but then again who would be on the end of them, nah forget that idea

I like that idea. He is a good passer, dribbler and what have you!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

cebu

The back 4 looked solid enough in the last 2 games. No need to change that. Perhaps Baird can clone himself for the DM spot?

SmithyFFC

Keep Paintsil, find a new left back and get rid of Salcido.
FTID

The Bronsons

Keep it as is, with Baird LB. Move Baird to Etuhu's place and bring Salcido back when we have a fully-grown forward.

Chopper

On the evidence I've seen so far Salcido is not capable of playing at Premier League pace. He looks very suspect defensively. Hopefully given a season to aclimatise he can adapt but he's no spring chicken.

Would love Briggs to take the role long term, but with his current injury I can't see anyone more capable of playing that role than Baird.

That leaves JP in the right back role. He's been more solid of late and it's always good to see Johnny having fun in the side. That aside I suspect Baird might be, defensively, the best right back we've got.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

JP and Baird are the "in form" players-so play them :54:

McBridefan1

I'm partial to Salcido throw a little salsa into the mix and it becomes a party...  :yay: ... the guy has a boot, he did pretty well in a few games defensively, perhaps with a season of "seasoning" he will be better fit to play every day. Our back four is hardly the problem however.

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 04, 2011, 12:05:28 AM
I'm partial to Salcido throw a little salsa into the mix and it becomes a party...  :yay: ... the guy has a boot, he did pretty well in a few games defensively, perhaps with a season of "seasoning" he will be better fit to play every day. Our back four is hardly the problem however.
That is only if he forgets to take a siesta every time he has moved across the halfway line and tracks back so Hangeland doesn't have to play two positions  :dead horse:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

McBridefan1

that could be fitness or it could be a lack of understanding for the quickness of the English game or both... he will come around I'm sure.

RidgeRider

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 03, 2011, 09:56:30 AM
The full backs aren't the problem. Defensively we're solid but must have more presence, zip and menace up front. Once that's sorted other parts of the team can be considered.

My feelings exactly but in the context of the original question, I think if we were to focus on the full backs, it is fair question that the position could use some upgrading, however I would be focusing on this area of our team as third priority after a striker and young creative midfielder.

I like the idea of keeping Pantsil at right for the remainder of the season. He is not very sharp passing or crossing at the moment but can defend and get up the field and help with the attack. He makes silly fouls at times as I think he is a very passionate player, but he is our best option at that position.

Keeping Baird at left back seems to be the best place for him right now, as I would think anyone else in that position would weaken us a bit.....even if Baird is playing the CM position with Etuhu on the bench. Salcido is interesting to me cause he played so well early. I think he may still have a knock that is effecting his ability to move in certain directions, even though he may have some positional sense problems, he can attack and whip a nice ball in to the box. Maybe he is better as an attacking sub or against a team whose right winger is not so dangerous, where we can exploit that matchup with a more attacking LB.