Main Menu

Carson Blunder Or Digger Brilliance? - Vote Now

Started by White Noise, January 05, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson Blunder or Digger Brilliance?

Carson Blunder
Digger Brilliance

White Noise

That first goal - was it really down to Scott Carson's mis-judgement or was it the power, swerve and finesse of the Welsh Wizard that tipped the balance as to why it went in?

supersub

I'm struggling to see how Carson can be blamed for this one. I saw it from the Hammersmith End last night and it looked like an unstoppable (and unexpected) swerving shot from Davies. I even said at the time that I thought Carson had done well to get a hand to it.

Seeing it again a couple of times on TV this morning, I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

BalDrick

Moved a lot in the air (that's how you do it Mitchell!), but still feel he should have saved it. Put it this way, Schwarzer lets that in - how do we feel? I'd be furious.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

supersub

If Schwarzer had let it in, I'd have thought: fair enough, great shot.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on January 05, 2011, 10:16:16 AM
Moved a lot in the air (that's how you do it Mitchell!), but still feel he should have saved it. Put it this way, Schwarzer lets that in - how do we feel? I'd be furious.

Exactly. Decent shot from Davies but Carson had a howler. I could tell from the Hammersmith End at the time.

FatFreddysCat

Good shot (not great) but cant believe none of you lot think that Carson isn't 100% at fault for not stopping it.

Senior Supporter

Carson got both hands to the ball but, when you see it in slow motion, they were not right behind it. He obviously misjudged the swerve, so I would 50% good shot, 50% goalkeeper error.

Burt

Having watched the game on TV, where it was replayed a lot, it was more keeper error in my view.

Sure the ball moved, but Carson didn't have to move much and he did get both hands to it in a fluffy kind of way. He only "dived" when he knew he had screwed it up.

Schwartz would have kicked himself mercilessly if he had let that one in.

So 40% good shot (power, on target) and 60% goalie error (he should have dealt with it better).

The other interesting thing the pundits dwelt on was the build up to the goal, where Etuhu was judged to have fouled the WBA defender (can't remember who). Slow mo showed a very robust body check with leg and shoulder, he didn't get the ball at all. But to be fair to WBA they didn't complain at the time, and nobody anticipated the whistle going.

It may have been the effects of my general anaesthetic, but on the subject of Etuhu he seemed to have quite a good game.

LordNelson

Combination.  The brilliant shot made the blunder.  That baby was going in.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Lighthouse

Every goal we score is a brilliant goal. Every goal we concede is a sloppy one. So it was with this one. Did Etuhu commit a foul or was it a great tackle before passing it off to Davies? Was it it a great shot or a fumble? Davies (please take note Fulham players) took the gamble and caught the keeper flapping.

If Fulham had conceded the first goal then it was a foul anyway before the shot and an awful fumble by a Keeper short on confidence.

As we scored it, a fine tackle by Etuhu and a fine shot by Davies made shocked the Keeper into an error of judgement.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I was right behind it in the Putney end.  It did move, it was a fierce shot BUT it was very savable and must go down to a goal keeper error.  Still - you can't score if you don't shoot...

os5889

For someone earning 15k (minimum) a week to catch a ball it has to go down as a welcome blunder

ImperialWhite

Goalie error, but we need more shots like that - ones which force the defence to do something. We were so fearful of shooting in the first half, they allowed us to keep possession and keep their shape. A few pop shots and we can force defences to come out at us, hopefully making an organisational error.

The Equalizer

Carson probably should have saved it, but you can't take anything away from Digger's amazing shot.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

mrska

Carson should of saved it..  but there was some power behind it and it was swerving..  Simon Davies Magic me thinks.. :yay:

sipwell

I don't think he could have saved it. The shot was unexpected and he was in a bad position to react. He touched it with his fingertips, but it was too hard imo.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Jimpav

I got to the ground early yesterday and the team were practising shooting from distance (outside the area) in the warm up.

This is by no means a dig at the digger but out of everyone he did not put one shot past Etheridge. The ones which were on target were very soft.

Hence we were surprised but delighted when his shot went in at the end of the first half.

Well done Davies for making the break through and your outstanding contribution to the match but my vote went on a Carson (How did he ever play for England?) error.

Scrumpy

Both really.

I think Carson shoud have saved the shot, but Davies deserves credit for a great game and 2 excellent corners that set up our goals. :yay:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

FC Silver Fox

I still say he should have stopped it, one way or the other. He could have opted to punch it if it was moving in the air too much. On a wider note, who looked more like an England keeper last night, Carson or Stockdale?    Exactly .  No contest. I don't even need to put the reply. You're ahead of me.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.