watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it just me

Started by perry geyton, August 15, 2022, 05:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

But why does Pereira walk straight into the team ? If Tom Cairney started on Saturday we'd of been a better team and could of beaten Wolves IMO, when he came on for the last 5 mins or so you could see the difference

Don't get me wrong I think Pereira has potential and puts in a shift but to me Cairney is just a much better player who  can pick a pass whereas Pereira's final ball was rather woeful  "which the commentator pointed out" Tony Gale I do believe,,,,,, his corner kicks were decent but that's about it..

If anything I'd do it the other way round and Start TC which I was hoping Marco was going to do then SUB  him off for Pereira for the last 15 mins or so if need be.

I know all the TC haters Bongo etc. are gonna come at me with the usual "he's not good enough for the prem" nonsense BUT seriously it's just so obvious to me that Cairney is a supreme player

AnOldBrownie

Tom Carney isn't going to do the off the ball movement nearly as well as Fabio or Andreas. He definitely doesn't have that type of motor.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

WestSussexWhite

The issue with TC is he just cannot offer defensively what Pereira can. Pereira's pressing is so important to our defensive play

hovewhite

Should be getting TC more game time no doubt.

blingo

Quote from: perry geyton on August 15, 2022, 05:22:02 AM
But why does Pereira walk straight into the team ? If Tom Cairney started on Saturday we'd of been a better team and could of beaten Wolves IMO, when he came on for the last 5 mins or so you could see the difference

Don't get me wrong I think Pereira has potential and puts in a shift but to me Cairney is just a much better player who  can pick a pass whereas Pereira's final ball was rather woeful  "which the commentator pointed out" Tony Gale I do believe,,,,,, his corner kicks were decent but that's about it..

If anything I'd do it the other way round and Start TC which I was hoping Marco was going to do then SUB  him off for Pereira for the last 15 mins or so if need be.

I know all the TC haters Bongo etc. are gonna come at me with the usual "he's not good enough for the prem" nonsense BUT seriously it's just so obvious to me that Cairney is a supreme player

It's just you Piri lol.

b+w geezer

They are very different players (much more so than I'd anticipated), and really that has been summarised already in the thread. The way we are set up so far relies on someone in advanced midfield putting in a whirling dervish of activity. He is also very quick off the mark. TC has almost entirely different virtues. It would be great to combine them in a single player, but it's hard to think of one even at the very top clubs.

Bassey the warrior

Too early to say who's the better player but Pereira offers more for the pressing game Silva wants and thus will usually start before Cairney I expect.

H4usuallysitting

I think Periera has settled in nicely - he's a starter for me

filham

This is the fast furious Premier League and Silva is aware that we are in a relegation battle from day one. He has to play it tight , all players have to be physically tough and able to offer something in defense. He really can't open up the game early on with the talents and skill that Cairney offers and give away a little in defense.

However I think gradually, as we settle in, things may change and Tom will have his moments.

We Are Premier League

It's just you, although i think TC should be brought on slightly earlier in the 2nd half, perhaps around 75th min to give him 20min including stoppage time.

b+w geezer

Quote from: We Are Premier League on August 15, 2022, 11:38:55 AM
It's just you, although i think TC should be brought on slightly earlier in the 2nd half, perhaps around 75th min to give him 20min including stoppage time.
We haven't yet been traillng, but that won't last!  TC's creativity and shooting will have a greater premium when it's essential to score, than when we are basically holding on for a result. It won't necessarily be Pereira he comes on the replace, however. And in general, as several have pointed out, this isn't about which player is "better" than another, but which tools to deploy for which circumstances.

NewYorkYank

I agree with the OP, and am surprised at the love Pereira is getting after the last game.  I thought he was hands-down the worst player on the team, and it was no surprise to me he was purportedly the first player coming off for Stansfield until Kebano was hurt.  His work-rate was down, his reaction time was slow, and with the exception of one gorgeous pass, his passing was woeful.  He was the principal reason Fulham had much less control of the midfield than against Liverpool.  I do not think Fulham's press would have been any more ineffective with Cairney.

perry geyton

I'd put money on it that we'd be a better team if TC started
Let Harrison and Paulinho do the pressing,
Toms our creative outlet and we are slightly lacking in that department

I think eventually that Marco will wake up too it

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I think that may the "slight change" Marco mentioned.
When Sololom and Harry are fit we may revert back to last years more 'Gung Ho"

We've only played 2 games and are unbeaten, MS will slowly develop the team and
no doubt tweak dependent on the opposision.
Brentford offer a different challenge and are excellent at it, tweak, tweak
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

St Eve

It's just you. TC unfortunately is just too slow and cannot defend

Matt10

Pereira did so much running and covering Neves throughout the pitch. I am a huge TC fan, but there's no way he could've stuck with Neves like that. Watch the match replay, wherever Neves went, Pereira was right by him. Even when Neves dropped between the two defenders, Pereira was right there to pressure.

Both managers did their homework, because Neves followed Pereira through the pitch as well, although not as tight.

When Cairney came in, the context had changed. Both sides going for it. Pereira started to push past Neves, while Neves continued to stay back. Defensively, Pereira started to block Neves passing lane more and was less inclined to follow him all over the pitch. Thankfully Neves movement was fairly limited to allow the wingbacks more chance to overload our sides.

Overall, Pereira did his job. It wasn't an easy day, and it was more about his defensive duties than it was his chance creation - which he still managed to do in slotting the through pass to BDR which led to Mitro's penalty. There's a reason a lot of teams struggle against Wolves when Neves has free-roam to creating chances. Pereira limited that, and should be acknowledged. In the position of Cairney vs Pereira, it's so tough because I too wanted to see TC. Unfortunately, I think the lack of attacking quality from our wingers and central defensive midfielders is what hurt us from having more chances towards goal.

perry geyton

Quote from: Matt10 on August 15, 2022, 04:23:48 PM
Pereira did so much running and covering Neves throughout the pitch. I am a huge TC fan, but there's no way he could've stuck with Neves like that. Watch the match replay, wherever Neves went, Pereira was right by him. Even when Neves dropped between the two defenders, Pereira was right there to pressure.

Both managers did their homework, because Neves followed Pereira through the pitch as well, although not as tight.

When Cairney came in, the context had changed. Both sides going for it. Pereira started to push past Neves, while Neves continued to stay back. Defensively, Pereira started to block Neves passing lane more and was less inclined to follow him all over the pitch. Thankfully Neves movement was fairly limited to allow the wingbacks more chance to overload our sides.

Overall, Pereira did his job. It wasn't an easy day, and it was more about his defensive duties than it was his chance creation - which he still managed to do in slotting the through pass to BDR which led to Mitro's penalty. There's a reason a lot of teams struggle against Wolves when Neves has free-roam to creating chances. Pereira limited that, and should be acknowledged. In the position of Cairney vs Pereira, it's so tough because I too wanted to see TC. Unfortunately, I think the lack of attacking quality from our wingers and central defensive midfielders is what hurt us from having more chances towards goal.
Solid points

ex-Pat

Why on earth is anyone including Cairney in any kind of a line up, how come not one team comes in for the great competing aggressive midfielder ?

Black and White Blood

TC is class and can turn any game
Play him

perry geyton

Quote from: ex-Pat on August 15, 2022, 06:16:44 PM

Why on earth is anyone including Cairney in any kind of a line up, how come not one team comes in for the great competing aggressive midfielder ?
Utterly clueless
One could argue the Pereira love fest is well OTT

ALONG WITH Tim Ream TC will also prove the haters wrong once again this season