https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. Manager merry go round

Started by bobby01, September 18, 2022, 07:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Quote from: Buffalo76 on September 18, 2022, 09:03:46 PM
Quote from: Nero on September 18, 2022, 08:13:59 PM
Brighton have appointed former Shakhtar Donetsk and Sassuolo boss Roberto de Zerbi as manager.

Never heard of him.
Nor has anyone else, may work, may not... poor from Potter to walk out like he did, I respected him, and thought he was bigger than that...

filham

Quote from: gang on September 20, 2022, 12:28:04 AM
The stripes indicate the rank of the soldier from lance corporal, corporal, sergeant and staff sergeant.
In the RAF there used to be inverted stripes for technical ranks, I didn't notice any of those yesterday, are they now obsolete.

WindyCity

I still can't believe Potter left his club to join Chelsea.  I always thought he was a very good coach.  Brighton had/has a very good club and could very well be a top 4/6 type of club in the very near future.  Still scratching my head on that one, leaving a terrific club.  I know, money and prestige play a part in all of this.

humussapiens

Watford sacked manager ;) Bilic appointed...

RaySmith

Quote from: WindyCity on September 20, 2022, 05:24:58 PM
I still can't believe Potter left his club to join Chelsea.  I always thought he was a very good coach.  Brighton had/has a very good club and could very well be a top 4/6 type of club in the very near future.  Still scratching my head on that one, leaving a terrific club.  I know, money and prestige play a part in all of this.

I doubt Brighton could finish 4/6 - just haven't got the riches of the top clubs.

Looking at it from Potter's point of view - us one chance to manage a club that has a chance of finishing in the top places and playing in Europe and earning the type of money that will give him and his family financial security for the rest of their lives.

Potter knows that there's little loyalty in football, and that if Brighton suffer a severe downturn in form, which could happen for a number of reasons, injuries, for example, they would sack him if it was thought the club might go down; just as Fulham would sack Marco, or he might leave, for the same reasons.

Football today is dog eat dog, and you have to take the chances when they come up, because tomorrow could be too late. Potter knows that he is flavour of the month at the moment, but tomorrow he could be yesterday's man.

WindyCity

Quote from: RaySmith on September 26, 2022, 07:37:12 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 20, 2022, 05:24:58 PM
I doubt Brighton could finish 4/6 - just haven't got the riches of the top clubs.  Looking at it from Potter's point of view - us one chance to manage a club that has a chance of finishing in the top places and playing in Europe and earning the type of money that will give him and his family financial security for the rest of their lives.  Potter knows that there's little loyalty in football, and that if Brighton suffer a severe downturn in form, which could happen for a number of reasons, injuries, for example, they would sack him if it was thought the club might go down; just as Fulham would sack Marco, or he might leave, for the same reasons.  Football today is dog eat dog, and you have to take the chances when they come up, because tomorrow could be too late. Potter knows that he is flavour of the month at the moment, but tomorrow he could be yesterday's man.

True all that, nice post. 

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Buffalo76 on September 18, 2022, 08:07:00 PM
It seems managers are being given less and less time each season.

Applying for the role, Managers promise the impossible; then they don't deliver the impossible and get sacked.

When Raneri came in, so am sure he said that I can keep Fulham up. When Parker came in, I doubt he told The Khans that only Anguissa would be part of his premier league plans, and Mitro is not Premier League.

Of course, over the first 16 months of Parker's reign he replaced everyone except Anguissa, so the Khans realised Parker's plan was i need an entirely new squad and probably felt fooled into signing Parker.

Managers get sacked for the same reason politians do they bullpoo to get the job, then blame everyone except themselves.

bobby01

I remember reading somewhere a well respected manager saying that no matter how good you are, you can only motivate players for about 5 years then you run out of different ways to put forward your approach.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WindyCity

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 28, 2022, 12:18:04 AM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on September 18, 2022, 08:07:00 PM
It seems managers are being given less and less time each season.

Applying for the role, Managers promise the impossible; then they don't deliver the impossible and get sacked.

When Raneri came in, so am sure he said that I can keep Fulham up. When Parker came in, I doubt he told The Khans that only Anguissa would be part of his premier league plans, and Mitro is not Premier League.

Of course, over the first 16 months of Parker's reign he replaced everyone except Anguissa, so the Khans realised Parker's plan was i need an entirely new squad and probably felt fooled into signing Parker.

Managers get sacked for the same reason politians do they bullpoo to get the job, then blame everyone except themselves.

Nice commentary regards a coaches life.  Even though RaySmith made some valid points regards why Potter fled to that lot down the road, it's still a fact that any manager is only a stones throw away from a pink slip.  He doesn't even have to 'deliver the impossible', if he only delivers mediocrity a sacking is on the horizon.  It's the nature of the business, and any man that goes into coaching/managing as a livelihood knows full well that being bounced and bouncing around is part of the job description.

GrumpyWhite

Mark Fotheringham appointed Huddersfield manager.  Had been working with mad Felix in Germany.  Poor old Huddersfield!

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

SP

I can't believe a Hull fan has just suggested Parker on sky sports. Seriously?

Somerset Fulham

You know what? I actually think that his style of football could actually work with a side that doesn't have talent to burn. Its why he'll not make it in the Premier League with it, but in a middle of the road Championship side? 

I see it working at least a little better than it did with us and Bournemouth.

SP

FFC1987

Parker is a decent fit for most championship sides to be fair. Even if you don't like him, he's proven he can get teams promoted.

Mince n Tatties

SP

Wonder if there's any truth in the rumour they're after the Brentford manager?

Motspur

I'm sure Steve Bruce will be acquiring another payoff by the end of this week. He will then go on holiday for a month or so and then an owner who has no idea will acquire his services.
Some time in the future, although not currently, you wonder with the Portuguese connection whether Marco Silva will be at the top of Wolverhampton's list as a manager/coach aoppointment?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Motspur on October 02, 2022, 09:22:23 PM

I'm sure Steve Bruce will be acquiring another payoff by the end of this week. He will then go on holiday for a month or so and then an owner who has no idea will acquire his services.
Some time in the future, although not currently, you wonder with the Portuguese connection whether Marco Silva will be at the top of Wolverhampton's list as a manager/coach aoppointment?

Agree, this is a worry!