watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mbabu v BDR

Started by FulhamKC, October 19, 2022, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

Why do you think Marco has started BDR at right back the last couple of games instead of Mbabu who has been on the bench? I know that Mbabu has had a rough start but he is a Swiss international and has played in the Bundesliga. It seems to me that he is a better option than playing BDR out of position. Need to get him up to PL speed while Tete is out in my opinion.

Facts Not Fiction

BDR has been a reliable asset for years, in both the PL and Championship. He is physically and mentally ready, whilst maybe not technically for a RB.

Mbabu has clearly been shaky so far, and needs time to adapt to our system.

The Rational Fan

I'd give BDR and Mbabu half a game each. When you have lost form it's a lot easier to play half a game well.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

I've been surprised at Mbabu's apparent benching, partly because I put down much of his struggles against Spurs to playing out of position on the left. I agree that it's important for the depth of the squad that he get back in form. Unless I'm mistaken he hasn't yet started a game at RB. He should.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on October 20, 2022, 03:41:06 AM
I've been surprised at Mbabu's apparent benching, partly because I put down much of his struggles against Spurs to playing out of position on the left. I agree that it's important for the depth of the squad that he get back in form. Unless I'm mistaken he hasn't yet started a game at RB. He should.

Mbabu played poorly at right back against Newcastle, but it's hard playing RB when Tosin played poorly at RCB and James played poorly at RW. Our right side that game of Mbabu, Tosin, Reed and James is nowhere near good enough. Maybe Mbabu, Diop, Reed and BFR at RW, maybe a stronger combination. Tosin at RB is an option (he played there for 46 games in his career) because Tosin has some pace and RB maybe doesn't need to cross.

irishfulham

he played terrible at newcastle even when out of position. He gave away the goal at arsenal. He played terrible vs spurs so that's probably why

hovewhite

Hopefully he will adjust apart from not playing ,how?
BDR is a player with great attitude ,and doing an ok job.

bog

To me BDR is the new Stan Brown. Just quietly gets on the job in whatever position he is given.    :54:

Whitestone

There are arguments for and against both Mbabu and BDR. It's a tough call for the manager. Tete can't come back soon enough.

bill taylors apprentice

At this time, with us leaking too many goals we need a RB who can keep his defensive shape and defend as part of a unit as a priority.
Currently we do not have such a player fit and capable.

filham

Mbabu so far has failed and can only be risked again as a late sub when we have a game sewn up. If in that way he shows improvement then give him a start.

I was always a little critical of BDR because when playing up front he new how to miss half chances. However, his attitude, ball control , versatility and reliability are all that we could ask for and with Tete injured is the best we have for the right back position.

Twig

Thus far I haven't been impressed with Mbabu but, as the OP says, he has a strong CV.  He can't really bed in until he gets a coup,et of starts in his preferred RB role so, reluctantly, I can see a case for starting him tonight.
If we do that then I'd drop James to the bench and maybe start with BDR as RW unless Wilson is deemed ready to start.

Jamie88

Mbabu has defended poorly every time he's been on the pitch for us so far, even in his ten minute cameos which admittedly isn't much to judge.
He has whipped in one or two good crosses but that is it. As has been said earlier in the thread though, he is an international and has played at a high level, so he must have something about him, hopefully we see it soon.

toshes mate

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 20, 2022, 12:09:07 AM
BDR has been a reliable asset for years, in both the PL and Championship. He is physically and mentally ready, whilst maybe not technically for a RB.

Mbabu has clearly been shaky so far, and needs time to adapt to our system.
I agree with you. 

BDR under each and every manager who has picked him plays as if he still has something to prove - he knows he can do better if he tries.  Perhaps Marco Silva believes Mbabu still has to prove himself in training where the simplest measures are how well does he know the game others play.  BDR seems to readily adapt and there is also a decent striker in him trying to get out.  He seldom disappoints in terms of effort and he has added value by virtue of his versatility and willingness to shift roles if he is selected.   FFC have had many a decent international footballer on their books who has failed to fit in or is constantly off form as the saying goes.  I'd rather a trier than someone who knows he can play well but doesn't quite know how to do it.   I hope for all our sakes Mbabu comes good but in the meantime when BDR is effective and reliable as backup there cannot be a good reason to change unless Silva truly believes our Swiss International is ready.  Following from that BDR can perform left, right or centre in attack and do a decent job as another International performer (17 caps) on our books.   

H4usuallysitting

Probably because Diop started.... changing two of the back four is even more of a danger

ChesterTheTabby

I've seen nothing from Mbabu sadly to warrant being on the pitch, and I had high hopes
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

fulhamfever

BDR played well yesterday

flyingfish

BDR is the new Denis Odoi

glenhodgso

Quote from: flyingfish on October 21, 2022, 04:44:59 PM
BDR is the new Denis Odoi
f

:plus one:

Was going to post the exact same words!

filham

Bdr has made the right back position his until Tete returrns. Mbabu has now to demonstrate he is better than them to get as game that is not going to be easy from the bench.