watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - what's going on in the cricket

Started by Thailand Mick, December 01, 2022, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

As much as todays win was a fantastic achievement, I still find that 3/4/5 day tests can be extremely boring, we complain about boring football, with a lack of entertainment,  9 times out of 10 test cricket falls into the boring category.

I much prefer the excitement of 1 day, twenty20 or 100 cricket.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

A tremendous result . England can never have performed better in Pakistan

Dodgin

Quote from: alfie on December 05, 2022, 02:36:27 PM
As much as todays win was a fantastic achievement, I still find that 3/4/5 day tests can be extremely boring, we complain about boring football, with a lack of entertainment,  9 times out of 10 test cricket falls into the boring category.

quote] Exciting as it is. Still not the proper game.

alfie

Quote from: Dodgin on December 05, 2022, 05:59:57 PM

I'm guessing that perhaps you don't like 5-aside football then.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Dodgin

Played penny football on the table at work, couldn't beat that for excitement

Plodder

Not for the sake of being contrary, honestly, but much as I admired the power of England's batting in this match, strangely I did not get the same thrill from England winning this Test as I have from other Test wins.  I think it is because the allure of Test cricket for me is that it is multi-dimensional, and I love a contest, and a contest within a contest.  Sometimes you can bat like a millionaire and smash boundaries, but sometimes you have to dig in and grind it out. If, like England's batting in this match, it is constant attack, it becomes like an extended one day game, one-dimensional and therefore curiously deserving in its way of being called "boring", albeit for reasons different from those normally given for calling Test cricket boring. In this game, the fact of it being a long and powerful England batting lineup on one of the best batting pitches I have ever seen against an inexperienced Pakistani bowling attack made it too much of a slaughter to excite me (which of course is not England's fault).

I was interested to hear a point made by Jonathan Agnew on Test Match Special.  Is there a danger that England will feel compelled to try to bat at six an over all the time in every match, whatever the circumstances, or to make very risky declarations, in order to live up to their stated aim to "entertain" rather than playing the way which maximises their chances of winning a match or a series?  I wonder if they will continue to do this consistently against Australia next summer, particularly if they lose the first two Tests heavily playing "cavalier / kamikaze" cricket. I suppose it depends on what you mean by entertainment. As an example in microcosm, if you look at Stpkes's historic innings at Headingley in 2019, I was excited by his extraordinary strokeplay to win from what seemed an impossible situation, but I was also just as immersed in the passage of play when he spent his first 66 balls grinding out two runs.  Botham in 1981 thought his brilliant 118 at Old Trafford a far better innings than his swashbuckling, but essentially hit and hope 149 not out at Headingley, for similar reasons.

But as in many things in life, I am almost certainly in a minority view.

kiwian

Quote from: bog on December 05, 2022, 12:05:28 PM
What a test that was! The change in England's fortunes since Ben Stokes and Brendan McCullum took over is phenomenal.   :54:

092.gif
Can we have them both back please??
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bog

Quote from: kiwian on December 06, 2022, 07:36:08 AM
Quote from: bog on December 05, 2022, 12:05:28 PM
What a test that was! The change in England's fortunes since Ben Stokes and Brendan McCullum took over is phenomenal.   :54:

092.gif
Can we have them both back please??

No.

Woolly Mammoth

Test cricket all day long for me, it is pure theatre.
Leather against Willow, like a chess game on legs and with the elements and pitch conditions playing their part, a real thinking mans sport but also a physicaly demanding game for batsmen and bowlers toiling all day long at times with full concentration needed.
It only takes one ball to get a wicket, and yesterday and the previous 4 days had all the ingredients of entertainment at the highest level.
History in the making that will go down down in English folk law as a famous victory on a bland unhelpful pitch on the sub continent and succeeded with around 15 minutes left.
Other forms of Cricket are enjoyable but nothing like test cricket for me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 09:15:13 AM

Leather against Willow, like a chess game on legs and with the elements and pitch conditions playing their part, a real thinking mans sport but also a physicaly demanding game for batsmen and bowlers toiling all day long at times with full concentration needed.
It only takes one ball to get a wicket, and yesterday and the previous 4 days had all the ingredients of entertainment at the highest level.
History in the making that will go down down in English folk law as a famous victory on a bland unhelpful pitch on the sub continent and succeeded with around 15 minutes left.

No arguments with anyone, we are all different, I have sat through many 5 day tests with batsmen blocking ball after ball after ball, I find it no difference to continuously passing sideways in football.

I will still watch it though.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on December 06, 2022, 10:00:29 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 09:15:13 AM

No arguments with anyone, we are all different, I have sat through many 5 day tests with batsmen blocking ball after ball after ball, I find it no difference to continuously passing sideways in football.

I will still watch it though.

Passing sideways in football has sent many a good spectator to becoming an alcoholic.
The purest say that in modern football possession is so important as the chances of winning or not losing increases and i can see their point, because it depends on the strength of the team.
However for me apart from the fact that you invite pressure and these days teams press very high to counter act that, and passing across your own penalty area is asking for trouble.
I personally don't like it although many teams do it.

There is more than one way to win a game and you have to play to your strengths, so if you have the right players and you are better going forward at a high tempo than fannying around at the back with average defenders then always play to your strengths.

The whole idea is to try and score more goals than your opponents, whether it's 1 0 or 5 4, as long as you win, whether it's ugly or beautiful it's winning that counts.
Otherwise why bother to turn up and compete.
It does not matter if your opponent is better and more skilfull and have a better quality player, as long as you beat them.
That is why set pieces are so important, and i include throw ins.
These days if you are fitter or as fit and are prepared and organised and win those 50 50s and have more desire, hunger and appetite than your opponent, with a higher work rate and commitment and application, and your players win their own battles and play within the framework of the team.
On the day any team is capable of winning, because the ball never gets tired so you let the ball do the work, and to remember the first 90 minutes are the most important.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

I think i may have wandered on to the wrong thread, my apologies and drinks are on the house.

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2022, 11:27:38 AM
I think i may have wandered on to the wrong thread, my apologies and drinks are on the house.
it was good though.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

hovewhite

Love the long 5 day test cricket,and the county championship 4day compition. It's a game that you either love or hate it.

bog

Whose house?  :022:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on December 06, 2022, 03:49:35 PM

Whose house?  :022:

The Rational Fans Abode or Rupert's Drum , they both love a good booze up.
Any excuse for a Knees up. 

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Plodder on December 06, 2022, 12:28:47 AM
Not for the sake of being contrary, honestly, but much as I admired the power of England's batting in this match, strangely I did not get the same thrill from England winning this Test as I have from other Test wins.  I think it is because the allure of Test cricket for me is that it is multi-dimensional, and I love a contest, and a contest within a contest.  Sometimes you can bat like a millionaire and smash boundaries, but sometimes you have to dig in and grind it out. If, like England's batting in this match, it is constant attack, it becomes like an extended one day game, one-dimensional and therefore curiously deserving in its way of being called "boring", albeit for reasons different from those normally given for calling Test cricket boring. In this game, the fact of it being a long and powerful England batting lineup on one of the best batting pitches I have ever seen against an inexperienced Pakistani bowling attack made it too much of a slaughter to excite me (which of course is not England's fault).

I was interested to hear a point made by Jonathan Agnew on Test Match Special.  Is there a danger that England will feel compelled to try to bat at six an over all the time in every match, whatever the circumstances, or to make very risky declarations, in order to live up to their stated aim to "entertain" rather than playing the way which maximises their chances of winning a match or a series?  I wonder if they will continue to do this consistently against Australia next summer, particularly if they lose the first two Tests heavily playing "cavalier / kamikaze" cricket. I suppose it depends on what you mean by entertainment. As an example in microcosm, if you look at Stpkes's historic innings at Headingley in 2019, I was excited by his extraordinary strokeplay to win from what seemed an impossible situation, but I was also just as immersed in the passage of play when he spent his first 66 balls grinding out two runs.  Botham in 1981 thought his brilliant 118 at Old Trafford a far better innings than his swashbuckling, but essentially hit and hope 149 not out at Headingley, for similar reasons.

But as in many things in life, I am almost certainly in a minority view.

I agree!

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Thailand Mick on December 09, 2022, 06:29:40 AM
England are at it again 115-1 after only 18 overs. They are scoring at just over six an over.

Hatch007

Brought back down to Earth a little by the end of the innings but still scored at 6 an over. Certainly makes for entertaining viewing

At least it's a result wicket. Some prodigious turn for their leg spinner for day one of a wicket in Pakistan.

Hope we don't regret picking only one frontline spinner ourselves

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Hatch007 on December 09, 2022, 03:14:02 PM
Brought back down to Earth a little by the end of the innings but still scored at 6 an over. Certainly makes for entertaining viewing

At least it's a result wicket. Some prodigious turn for their leg spinner for day one of a wicket in Pakistan.

Hope we don't regret picking only one frontline spinner ourselves
I agree, think we will regret picking only one spinner.