watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Amazing facts about George Cohen

Started by Nick Bateman, January 02, 2023, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

The great George Cohen of Fulham was a one man club. He only ever played for Fulham and of course England. That is a rare breed of footballer and there are not many modern equivalents, Matt LeTissier, Steve Bull, Harry Kane are a few that come to mind.

Cohen was only awarded the MBE for winning the World Cup. Contrast this with one of England's women players awarded an OBE for winning the Euros. On a side note, why were the entire England's women's team (Lionesses) all not awarded instead of only the ones (4) who play for Arsenal??

Cohen was signed for the princely sum of £20. He was paid a weekly wage by Fulham of around £8 to £10. Again compare this to the huge sums afforded to many entitled footballers today, their wages potentially financially ruining many a club.

Despite his surname of Cohen, normally associated with the Jewish community, George claimed on the official Fulham forum in it's day (about 10 years ago), that he was not Jewish. One recalls getting into a minor jocular dispute with him of how he could physically prove this, but as always George showed his class and decorum. He was that humble to communicate with the supporters and take on any banter which sums up people of that generation.

George Cohen was bald as a player, bald after, and as a baby was born bald. That's a hattrick in my book!

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Woolly Mammoth

A wonderful man on and off the pitch.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

AJW48361

On the pitch a top player and  World Cup winner.Off the pitch you can make your own mind up.

LC

Quote from: AJW48361 on January 02, 2023, 01:41:21 AM
On the pitch a top player and  World Cup winner.Off the pitch you can make your own mind up.

Off the pitch he was a gentlemen. Did you ever meet him?

Jamie88

An incredible man and player by all accounts.

Nick that's incorrect about Steve Bull, Harry Kane and even Le Tissier as they are not technically one-club men. Also,  Cohen was never bald in his playing career. Every photo I have seen of him in a Fulham or England top shows him with plenty of hair!

And even though George was not Jewish himself, his grandfather on his father's side was Jewish so there is in fact a link there.

LC

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 02, 2023, 02:46:53 AM
An incredible man and player by all accounts.

Nick that's incorrect about Steve Bull, Harry Kane and even Le Tissier as they are not technically one-club men. Also,  Cohen was never bald in his playing career. Every photo I have seen of him in a Fulham or England top shows him with plenty of hair!

And even though George was not Jewish himself, his grandfather on his father's side was Jewish so there is in fact a link there.

Indeed, one of his ancestors was Abraham Cohen aka Jewey Cook- Commonwealth boxing champion (no world title at the time I believe), who was Jewish

Peabody

Nick, as usual, fact seems to miss you. George was a product of our youth system, or the South East CountiesLeague. From which he progressed into the first team, along with Tony Macedo and Alan Mullery. He wasn't bald as player and as far as I know, there was no signing on fee involved

AJW48361

About in the 80s off the pitch George didn't endeared himself to Fulham Supporters regarding the future of Craven Cottage.

bog

I saw George's debut and and have looked out the programme. I had entered the team changes and spelt his name 'Cowen'. I saw the Maestro interviewed once and he called George the Rabbi!

092.gif 

bog

Quote from: Peabody on January 02, 2023, 03:54:41 AM
Nick, as usual, fact seems to miss you. George was a product of our youth system, or the South East CountiesLeague. From which he progressed into the first team, along with Tony Macedo and Alan Mullery. He wasn't bald as player and as far as I know, there was no signing on fee involved

Three useful players there Peabody....all are still in my best ever iine up.  :54:

Andy S

My claim to fame was that about 12 years ago I was chatting to a gentleman in his ninety's  who was a games master at George's school. He told me that when George went to the Cottage to sign on he walked down with him. That is probably how it was in those days. The old fellow finished up as a head master.

bill dando

Could never work it out (a good thing a bad thing or even the point of it) but didn't I hear many times from opposing supporters (especially Chelsea fans) the chant Cohen is a yid !??!
made in essex

Holders

Many of us got "branded" (one way or another) into a religion before were old or aware enough to object; maybe George just chose not to actively follow that of his heritage. Many people exercise that choice once they can decide for themselves. Besides, I understand that it's passed down the female line so maybe his surname means less for that reason.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

It doesn't matter if he pursued the Jewish faith or not - he shouldn't be abused in any way, which is racism.

I think Spurs fans used to chant 'we are the  yids' - sort of reclaiming the word - them often being subject to ant-Semitic abuse, but the club told them not to chant this.

filham

Quote from: bill dando on January 02, 2023, 11:07:02 AM
Could never work it (a good thing a bad thing or even the point of it) but didn't I hear many times from opposing supporters (especially Chelsea fans) the chant Cohen is a yid !??!
I never heard anything like that, in fact never heard anything abusive or bad said about Geage, he really was a fans favourite.

Do remember that nice moment of humour from the terraces, Jimmy Hill had just grown his black beard and was giving George a minor reprimand after giving a corner away. A fan shouted out loudly " Come on Cohen do as the Rabi tells you"

Logicalman

Quote from: LC on January 02, 2023, 01:51:17 AM
Quote from: AJW48361 on January 02, 2023, 01:41:21 AM

Off the pitch he was a gentlemen. Did you ever meet him?

I did, in both my younger days and, more recently a couple of seasons back after an evening game.
To say he was a gent, would be to set that standard very high for others, even at his advanced age, he was witty, fast in thought and retort, humble, and would put one at ease very quickly and easily. My wife even took to him immediately.

I felt very fortunate to get a pic with him that evening, and even more fortunate to have actually seen him play a number of times.

RIP Mr Cohen. A REAL Gent for me.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Peabody on January 02, 2023, 03:54:41 AM

To settle any dispute, the pic from the Guaridan obituary on GC. (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/23/george-cohen-obituary)

George Cohen of Fulham, left, competing for the ball with George Best of Manchester United.
Cohen spent 14 years at Fulham. Photograph: PA Media

George Cohen in 1967, shortly before having to retire from football through injury.
Within a decade he was diagnosed with cancer. Photograph: William Vanderson/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/dec/29/letter-george-cohen-obituary
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on January 02, 2023, 12:47:09 PM
It doesn't matter if he pursued the Jewish faith or not - he shouldn't be abused in any way, which is racism.

I think Spurs fans used to chant 'we are the  yids' - sort of reclaiming the word - them often being subject to ant-Semitic abuse, but the club told them not to chant this.

You're right. In the same way it's wrong to assume anything about anybody without knowing, especially just from  a name.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Quote from: Holders on January 02, 2023, 01:57:37 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on January 02, 2023, 12:47:09 PM

You're right. In the same way it's wrong to assume anything about anybody without knowing, especially just from  a name.

Fully agree.

Nick Bateman

It seems one or two of my "facts" slightly missed the mark. I'll have to chastise that bloke down the pub who told me that stuff.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"