watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silva press conference for Arsenal

Started by Tman77, August 24, 2023, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

South Coast White

Quote from: Caedal on August 24, 2023, 04:32:08 PMSilva can moan all he likes, I still think a good part of the issues we've had this summer are because of all the uncertainty about his future, which took him ages to address, and his seeming unwillingness to sign a new contract.
It gives off bad impressions
He wanted assurances of new players coming in I guess, if he wasn't given said assurances, why would he sign. If he was happy with agreements discussed he would have signed I'm sure.
If he walks away, I would not blame him at all. Our recruitment or lack of it this window is laughable, mitro or no mitro.

demeant0r

Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Caedal on August 24, 2023, 04:32:08 PMSilva can moan all he likes, I still think a good part of the issues we've had this summer are because of all the uncertainty about his future, which took him ages to address, and his seeming unwillingness to sign a new contract.
He wanted assurances of new players coming in I guess, if he wasn't given said assurances, why would he sign. If he was happy with agreements discussed he would have signed I'm sure.
If he walks away, I would not blame him at all. Our recruitment or lack of it this window is laughable, mitro or no mitro.

Absolutely, even lesser clubs like Bournemouth and Forest are able to get their targets in early.

F(f)CUK

I was listening to an interview with a top person at Brighton who described that Brighton look 2-3 windows ahead and have a plan for each window that has been set in stone. We have a plan for the last 2 weeks of every window.

Caedal

Bassey is a far better player than anything Bournemouth or Forest have brought in. I'd rather be bringing in good players, rather than just numbers which is Forests MO. (And no I'm not convinced by Raul J).

Unless you're willing to pay ridiculous fees (Chelsea) the market generally has been difficult for pretty much everyone.

Tman77

Quote from: filham on August 24, 2023, 04:41:23 PMWe have already made three signings in this window ,how many are we expecting in total. Three more and that is over half a team.
I was hoping that we would keep our starting eleven and just add a couple of  top quality players.

Well Silva's essentially said we were light last year, and then needed to replace 8 (7+Mitrovic) players that have left, so about 5 more.

They won't all be guaranteed starters of course.

Tman77

Quote from: F(f)CUK on August 24, 2023, 04:47:41 PMI was listening to an interview with a top person at Brighton who described that Brighton look 2-3 windows ahead and have a plan for each window that has been set in stone. We have a plan for the last 2 weeks of every window.

I get that there is a feel that value is better late on, but considering we've made a larger cumulative loss than 89 of the 91 other clubs in the league over the last few seasons, i'm not convinced its actually working as a business plan.

demeant0r

Quote from: Caedal on August 24, 2023, 04:49:27 PMBassey is a far better player than anything Bournemouth or Forest have brought in. I'd rather be bringing in good players, rather than just numbers which is Forests MO. (And no I'm not convinced by Raul J).

Unless you're willing to pay ridiculous fees (Chelsea) the market generally has been difficult for pretty much everyone.

What about the winger we were after last year but didn't sign and instead got Solomon? He's at Bournemouth now and probably better than Traore.

Ludlow Richard

Window should close before the season starts. It is nonsense that we are talking about buying players three weeks into the season. Get the whole thing complete by the day before the season starts. And yes other windows have to be taken into account but as our clubs spend the most there is a sound argument that the FA could push through countries coming into line with an earlier window closure.

Lighthouse

Actually having seen it at last, thanks for posting Serbian Lad. I can now see how posters are making stuff up to suit their argument.

It was a good press conference and while Silva needs players coming in I think he also said we don't want to just bring in numbers. So it was very balanced and fair. He answered about the stupid new rules and the inconsistent referees. Yes ideally he said we are at a disadvantage going into the last week of the window but I am not sure the owners would agree. Or indeed many other clubs. As this is when the vast majority of deals are done.

Glad he made the unusual point of making clear one player mentioned wasn't the answer to our problems. The laugh about Lukaku.

No a good and somewhat upbeat and unusual Silva press conference. Yes we are all aware of the problems but let's not read into body language soomething that clearly wasn't there.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LittleErn

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 24, 2023, 04:34:39 PM
Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on August 24, 2023, 04:14:04 PMI hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me as though Silva might be off if we don't meet his expectations in the transfer market. He'll probably complete his current contract, but the fact that he hasn't signed an extension suggests that he is leaving his options open. He is certainly showing the frustrations that we all share.
Totally agree, he has appeared very solemn in recent interviews and I would not be surprised if he walks away earlier than expected if he does not get the support from upstairs as he deserves.

I mean, if he feels the squad he isn't capable of surviving relegation, he has to walk and I wouldn't blame him. But I doubt this is the case. We're weaker overall (subjective I know) but we're likely at least on par defensively, an argument for better with Bassey. But ultimately, weaker with no Mitrovic or Solomon (again up for debate but that's my opinion) so unless drastic things happen this window, I think he'l simply maintain our survival, and walk without signing a new deal and personally, I wouldn't blame him. The guy has ambitions which I'm not convinced are shown here and they haven't adequately supported in him in building a competitive squad for the start of the season, but hope he can pull it together a few weeks into the season with an unsettled pre season squad.

I appreciate this will trigger the more positive posters on the board but that's my opinion.

Our defence is probably no worse than last year and may be marginally better. However, the best defence in the world will crumble if they are under continual pressure. That is where I think the loss of Mitrovic will be most keenly felt as his ability to hold the ball up took pressure off the defence and gave then time to re-organise.

Baszab

Don't know what period of last season everyone is comparing to

Last 10 games or so we were pretty poor

alfie

Fulham wanted assurances that he was committed, refusing to sign contract does not show he is overly committed, I can sort of understand the club being wary of paying fortunes for players that he wants, when they don't know his full intentions.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

JimmyConway

Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 05:32:56 PM
Fulham wanted assurances that he was committed, refusing to sign contract does not show he is overly committed, I can sort of understand the club being wary of paying fortunes for players that he wants, when they don't know his full intentions.

This the crux of the problem. This has Slavisa written all over it again.
Catch 22 Viscous circle whatever you want to call it.

Cumbrian White

Quote from: demeant0r on August 24, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Absolutely, even lesser clubs like Bournemouth and Forest are able to get their targets in early.

Have either side signed players you'd want here?

I guess the only way to compare is after the transfer window, I may be disappointed but my expectations are we'll sign significantly better players than they have.

demeant0r

Quote from: Cumbrian White on August 24, 2023, 05:54:29 PM
Quote from: demeant0r on August 24, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Have either side signed players you'd want here?

I guess the only way to compare is after the transfer window, I may be disappointed but my expectations are we'll sign significantly better players than they have.

Kluivert and perhaps Alex Scott

Surlyc

Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 05:32:56 PMFulham wanted assurances that he was committed, refusing to sign contract does not show he is overly committed, I can sort of understand the club being wary of paying fortunes for players that he wants, when they don't know his full intentions.
If the club feel they don't know his intentions, they should just sack him. I am a big Silva fan, but if he won't commit then that says it all to me. Better for the club to be decisive than slowly sink the whole club by fostering a toxic relationship with their manager (reference: Bournemouth last season).

All that said, it continues to be ridiculous that Tony Khan is running us in his spare time from his real job running a wrestling company. It's a recipe for disaster that absolutely creates the situation we currently have.

alfie

Quote from: Surlyc on August 24, 2023, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 05:32:56 PMFulham wanted assurances that he was committed, refusing to sign contract does not show he is overly committed, I can sort of understand the club being wary of paying fortunes for players that he wants, when they don't know his full intentions.
If the club feel they don't know his intentions, they should just sack him. I am a big Silva fan, but if he won't commit then that says it all to me. Better for the club to be decisive than slowly sink the whole club by fostering a toxic relationship with their manager (reference: Bournemouth last season).

All that said, it continues to be ridiculous that Tony Khan is running us in his spare time from his real job running a wrestling company. It's a recipe for disaster that absolutely creates the situation we currently have.
It is probably AliMac that has day to day control, TK signs off deals.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Surlyc

Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 06:25:36 PMIt is probably AliMac that has day to day control, TK signs off deals.
AliMac has day to day control, yes. But there's no suggestion he is involved in the football side, let alone recruitment. And if AliMac does have complete control, then he is demonstrably not up to it (I don't think this is the case).

Either way, we need to bring Silva back on side or we need to move on. Paralysis is death in business.

Blawarmy

After a home spanking by little Brentford I'm not surprised Marcos getting vexed

jayffc

Quote from: Tman77 on August 24, 2023, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: Allprocro on August 24, 2023, 04:20:19 PM
Quote from: jayffc on August 24, 2023, 03:53:36 PMWhat's he on about historically tons of players move late in the window

If anything the speed of transfers tends to escalate

I have not seen the PC yet but if OP is correct that he said harder that is an important distinction from speed.

Plenty of reasons why Xer market is harder on a manager and owner late in window that has nothing to do with speed of deals happening.

The quote attributed is

'on signing players, says it is difficult to persuade players late in the market. Says its easier with more time' - so yes, emphasis certainly appears to be on difficulty rather than speed.

by speed I mean number of transfers happening generally increases which puts to bed the idea it's hard to get people to move cos they're always doing it at the end of windows every year