watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silva press conference for Arsenal

Started by Tman77, August 24, 2023, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneKerrins

With 3 signings made to date only Palace have made less albeit one of them was £26m.

Majority of clubs have been more active some significantly more so.

With Mitro gone and Tosin seemingly going out need is greater than most.

jayffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 24, 2023, 05:03:03 PMActually having seen it at last, thanks for posting Serbian Lad. I can now see how posters are making stuff up to suit their argument.

It was a good press conference and while Silva needs players coming in I think he also said we don't want to just bring in numbers. So it was very balanced and fair. He answered about the stupid new rules and the inconsistent referees. Yes ideally he said we are at a disadvantage going into the last week of the window but I am not sure the owners would agree. Or indeed many other clubs. As this is when the vast majority of deals are done.

Glad he made the unusual point of making clear one player mentioned wasn't the answer to our problems. The laugh about Lukaku.

No a good and somewhat upbeat and unusual Silva press conference. Yes we are all aware of the problems but let's not read into body language soomething that clearly wasn't there.
exactly this

Last year he said a lot about transfers all summer... And we were actually great at the start of last season, which perhaps is why he's been more understanding this time around. Silva is a great manager but he's not all knowing or right on everything and I don't think he's right again here.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: demeant0r on August 24, 2023, 06:12:36 PM
Quote from: Cumbrian White on August 24, 2023, 05:54:29 PM
Quote from: demeant0r on August 24, 2023, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Caedal on August 24, 2023, 04:32:08 PMSilva can moan all he likes, I still think a good part of the issues we've had this summer are because of all the uncertainty about his future, which took him ages to address, and his seeming unwillingness to sign a new contract.
It gives off bad impressions
He wanted assurances of new players coming in I guess, if he wasn't given said assurances, why would he sign. If he was happy with agreements discussed he would have signed I'm sure.
If he walks away, I would not blame him at all. Our recruitment or lack of it this window is laughable, mitro or no mitro.

Absolutely, even lesser clubs like Bournemouth and Forest are able to get their targets in early.

Have either side signed players you'd want here?

I guess the only way to compare is after the transfer window, I may be disappointed but my expectations are we'll sign significantly better players than they have.

Kluivert and perhaps Alex Scott

So two players... I really dont feel we have missed out on much so far. Both of these clubs have added bulk so far.

Tman77

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 24, 2023, 05:03:03 PMActually having seen it at last, thanks for posting Serbian Lad. I can now see how posters are making stuff up to suit their argument.

It was a good press conference and while Silva needs players coming in I think he also said we don't want to just bring in numbers. So it was very balanced and fair. He answered about the stupid new rules and the inconsistent referees. Yes ideally he said we are at a disadvantage going into the last week of the window but I am not sure the owners would agree. Or indeed many other clubs. As this is when the vast majority of deals are done.

Glad he made the unusual point of making clear one player mentioned wasn't the answer to our problems. The laugh about Lukaku.

No a good and somewhat upbeat and unusual Silva press conference. Yes we are all aware of the problems but let's not read into body language soomething that clearly wasn't there.

Just to clarify, there is no agenda. I was commenting, pretty much verbatim, what Peter Rutzler had tweeted live from the preesser.

Having now seen it (also, hvala/thank you to serbianlad), i wouldnt neccessarily say its quite as positive as you suggest, but equally, yes, not quite as stroppy/frutrated as it sounded, and with a lot more context around certain aspects.

Drewry66

Quote from: Tman77 on August 24, 2023, 06:57:29 PM

Just to clarify, there is no agenda. I was commenting, pretty much verbatim, what Peter Rutzler had tweeted live from the preesser.

Having now seen it (also, hvala/thank you to serbianlad), i wouldnt neccessarily say its quite as positive as you suggest, but equally, yes, not quite as stroppy/frutrated as it sounded, and with a lot more context around certain aspects.

I thought he was particularly firey there. Complained about the lack of squad and the lateness a tonne of times. Specifically said the board know what I want for the squad and they knew it in May. Went on about how arsenal had a clear plan before the window and executed that plan early. Said he had given the board the 3 strikers he wanted long before Mitro left.

Whether it is partly his fault for not signing a contract and whether he is even right about late business is debatable of course. He said all this last year and all worked out fine.

FFP is always a challenge for us and better deals do tend to come late so I have always defended the club from this point of view. Unlike arsenal we can't just spend top money which is what gets deals done earlier.

The one thing that is for sure from what I saw there is there is a huge amount of tension between him and he board right now. A few weeks ago he seemed at least a bit more measured saying how tough the market is and complaining a bit less.

To say this week is massive in every single way is understatement of the century. For me he has his three target strikers (wish I knew who they are) we have the mitro money and supposedly some decent FFP room before he went so for once forget the FFP never ending haggling and just make sure we get his top target up front. If it's Fullkrug or Beto for example just pay the frigging release clause. If he goes it all falls apart. Scary times.

Hugh Janus

I like Marco. He's clearly talented but he has one year left on his contract which can't help our transfers. Also he needs to tone down the negativity. A more upbeat attitude wouldn't hurt.

Somerset Fulham

I never knew that we had so many body language and linguistic experts on this board.

I have no idea how some of you saw what you saw, it was literally just a bloke answering questions.

South Coast White

He actually stated he had discussed his wishes to the board in May his year, so you cannot blame him for being a little peed off.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Surlyc on August 24, 2023, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 05:32:56 PM
Quote from: Surlyc on August 24, 2023, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 05:32:56 PMFulham wanted assurances that he was committed, refusing to sign contract does not show he is overly committed, I can sort of understand the club being wary of paying fortunes for players that he wants, when they don't know his full intentions.

All that said, it continues to be ridiculous that Tony Khan is running us in his spare time from his real job running a wrestling company. It's a recipe for disaster that absolutely creates the situation we currently have.

Totally agree with your last paragraph, it is absolutely nailed on and there is a pattern, and Slavisa had the same problem as Marcus, the catalyst in all these issues is the owners son.

In my opinion the reason why  Silva will not sign a new contract is that he has little faith in the club backing him as Slavisa found to his cost.

So why should he risk his reputation and standing and credibility, as a Manager is only as good as the players he is given to work with.
He is the first to get sacked and carry the can as the full guy to disguise the shortcomings of the suits within the club.

We  also have to ask ourselves how good are Fulham in negotiations compared to other clubs.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Silva not a happy man right now.
I wonder if this time next week we may see a smile on his face.

alfie

Quote from: Drewry66 on August 24, 2023, 07:23:38 PM

I thought he was particularly firey there. Complained about the lack of squad and the lateness a tonne of times. Specifically said the board know what I want for the squad and they knew it in May. Went on about how arsenal had a clear plan before the window and executed that plan early. Said he had given the board the 3 strikers he wanted long before Mitro left.

Whether it is partly his fault for not signing a contract and whether he is even right about late business is debatable of course. He said all this last year and all worked out fine.

FFP is always a challenge for us and better deals do tend to come late so I have always defended the club from this point of view. Unlike arsenal we can't just spend top money which is what gets deals done earlier.

The one thing that is for sure from what I saw there is there is a huge amount of tension between him and he board right now. A few weeks ago he seemed at least a bit more measured saying how tough the market is and complaining a bit less.

To say this week is massive in every single way is understatement of the century. For me he has his three target strikers (wish I knew who they are) we have the mitro money and supposedly some decent FFP room before he went so for once forget the FFP never ending haggling and just make sure we get his top target up front. If it's Fullkrug or Beto for example just pay the frigging release clause. If he goes it all falls apart. Scary times.
What annoys me is that maybe those 3 players he gave the board didn't want to come here.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on August 24, 2023, 08:07:39 PMSilva not a happy man right now.
I wonder if this time next week we may see a smile on his face.

I sincerely hope so Mr Filham.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on August 24, 2023, 08:36:31 PM
Quote from: Drewry66 on August 24, 2023, 07:23:38 PM

What annoys me is that maybe those 3 players he gave the board didn't want to come here.

Yes of course you could very well be correct Alfie.
That is another reason why negotiations have broken down.

Hence why negotiations and action has to be addressed earlier than other clubs, because as Silva has emphasised for the sake of the team and club, he needs these players in earlier so he can work with them, and certainly before the season kicks off.

I feel the same when Slavisa was the manager that lines of communication within the club are somewhat fractured at the Managers expense.
So nothing much has really changed.

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Those fans saying what a great coach he is yet saying he also needs loads of new players to coach because he isn't very good with the ones he has. We have only lost one first team player. We had a few who had injuries and didn't have a full pre season and are now getting back to fitness. The rest were squad platers.

So yes the squad needs strength but a good coach should be better at sorting things out. The Brentford mess up doesn't exclude him from being partly responsible.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Allprocro

Marco probably wants 3-4 signings, he'd live with 2 (ST most important to replace Mitro and Winger/AMF signings with loans to complete the midfield and depth in the back four).

If nothing is done especially to replace Mitro, I think Silva will leave, he will have offers and have an easy story that he did not have ownership support. Maybe if ownership makes some big signings in winter he stays.

I'm usually not this negative but this is crunch time for ownership, these are the decisions that make or break a club staying up.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: demeant0r on August 24, 2023, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Caedal on August 24, 2023, 04:32:08 PMSilva can moan all he likes, I still think a good part of the issues we've had this summer are because of all the uncertainty about his future, which took him ages to address, and his seeming unwillingness to sign a new contract.
It gives off bad impressions
He wanted assurances of new players coming in I guess, if he wasn't given said assurances, why would he sign. If he was happy with agreements discussed he would have signed I'm sure.
If he walks away, I would not blame him at all. Our recruitment or lack of it this window is laughable, mitro or no mitro.

Absolutely, even lesser clubs like Bournemouth and Forest are able to get their targets in early.
Maybe, but throwing silly money at players will only lead to big issues later!

ffcthereligion

Good grief. The knives already out for MS on this board, or at the very least being sharpened, just 2 games into the season, with a win on the board, and after a top half finish last year!

God forbid what it's going to be like after a week of arsenal, spurs and city losses.

cookieg

Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 07:30:15 PMHe actually stated he had discussed his wishes to the board in May his year, so you cannot blame him for being a little peed off.

As someone said on another thread - maybe those wishes didn't want to sign for Fulham.

HV71

It seems to me that , like in many organisations, there is a constant conflict as to where you prioritise across three factors namely  - time, quality and cost. In this case there are the added pressures of the actual budget, FFP restrictions, external wildcard forces , the team being "ready " for the season and the ability to get precious points on the board.

I'm sure that there are faults on both sides  - but who wouldn't fight for extra resources when the eventual end play is their job ( and reputation ) being on the line. The transfer market is particularly  difficult this year and of course players may not want to join Fulham  - but the later you leave it then the dangers are obvious and the " gamble " increases. Maybe, given the extra pressures in the market a more flexible strategy is required rather than doing what you have always done previously.

Marco, through his management and tactical nouse, has come close to rebuilding his reputation and proving himself at the top table. He has continually said he will give everything to the club whilst he is here. That's good enough for me - and his only remaining bargaining chip ( in order to get things more like he would prefer) is to hold out on signing a long term deal. His gamble is that should he be fired he would only get compensation of a fraction of that if he did put pen to paper.

Tony loves a last minute , hero like mission impossible value deal . In many respects it can serve us well but doesn't strike me personally as a good long term , sustainable strategy. Perhaps a more considered view of the business strategies of Brighton and Brentford might prove a better route for him to at least consider

"B" is for better and also these two other smaller Premier League clubs - and yes we are well and truly "F" at present

Throughout my management career I was always taught never to get close to " betting the business " - we may be some way off that  - but the current situation feels far from comfortable.

Try selling £3000 season tickets in the Championship.

The next few weeks may be even more critical than we can imagine - fingers crossed that the stars align as our future , at least to me ,seems a result of a gamble more than sound strategic thinking.

H4usuallysitting

I'd be more surprised if he was upbeat....this transfer window is probably the hardest with Saudi chucking money about.... it's good that metro is slowly being ignored, the club has moved on