watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silva press conference for Arsenal

Started by Tman77, August 24, 2023, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tman77

Usually find these pretty standard but finding this one today fascinating.

Silva seeming increasingly exasperated.

- specifically mentioning Kean and saying he's not a solution for us.
 - stating that its harder to do business late in the window
 - saying that we're trying but 'we'll see' - essentially sounding less confident by the day
 - Bassey will start v Arsenal
 - abruptly shutting down Mitrovic questions saying he doesn't want to talk about him now he's gone.

As someone just said to me, it feels like his filter has gone to some extent.

Coast94

Groundhog Day. The 'we'll see' comments worry me.

Tman77

Quote from: Coast94 on August 24, 2023, 03:46:44 PMGroundhog Day. The 'we'll see' comments worry me.

Exactly what I said when i heard it. Far less bullish.

jayffc

What's he on about historically tons of players move late in the window

If anything the speed of transfers tends to escalate

Marcel_Gecov

I love MS, but sometimes I wonder if there is a slight language barrier which our fans leap onto. Its far easier to do signings end of the window. Anguissa a 30m signing was done on the deadline day. As was Andersen, etc.

Sammyffc

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 24, 2023, 03:55:18 PMI love MS, but sometimes I wonder if there is a slight language barrier which our fans leap onto. Its far easier to do signings end of the window. Anguissa a 30m signing was done on the deadline day. As was Andersen, etc.

Exactly, but thats not an acceptable answer in this day and age. Hundreds of podcasts with ex players, managers, directors etc saying the same thing, thats the end of the window is when most business happens .. and for a reason.

But no,the fanbase knows best always....

hovewhite

Silva is just not building his or our hopes up that's all.

btffc

Quote from: jayffc on August 24, 2023, 03:53:36 PMWhat's he on about historically tons of players move late in the window

Well, it kind of depends. If you're targeting an out of favor player then leaving it late can get you a cheaper deal because they would just take the best offer on offer, but if you're are targeting a starter or important squad player you might have to pay much more so the seller can get a replacement or to make it acceptable to them.

Someone like Balogun could be in the former category and someone like Solanke would be in the latter. Leno would be an example of it working in our favor.

FFC1987

For all the 'lots of business gets done late in window', I do think maybe it lacks the appreciation of how different this window does seem to be. I can imagine the window for us being really, really difficult this time round compared to normal but we'll see. I'm probably more confident than Silva that we'll get bodies in mind, but still. I'm not convinced this is like any other year.

Tman77

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 24, 2023, 03:55:18 PMI love MS, but sometimes I wonder if there is a slight language barrier which our fans leap onto. Its far easier to do signings end of the window. Anguissa a 30m signing was done on the deadline day. As was Andersen, etc.

Across the board, around 50% of transfers get done in the last week, so yes, there will always be examples of good late deals.

A list of those done relatively early with at least 2 weeks till kick off, however

Van Der Saar, Malbranque, Boa Morte, Djetou, Inamoto, Bonissel, Cole, Clause Jensen, PB Diop, Helguson, Hughes, Bullard, Kamara, Koncheskey, Gera, Schwarzer, Paintsil, Zamora, (stopped looking at this point)

Bottom line, late business is fine as long as you haven't got gaping holes in your squad and it's not the majority of your signings.

We've, on average, signed players later than the divisional average, in 9 of the 10 seasons under the khans. Only last season we didnt, and look at how that started, and went.

LittleErn

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me as though Silva might be off if we don't meet his expectations in the transfer market. He'll probably complete his current contract, but the fact that he hasn't signed an extension suggests that he is leaving his options open. He is certainly showing the frustrations that we all share.

Allprocro

Quote from: jayffc on August 24, 2023, 03:53:36 PMWhat's he on about historically tons of players move late in the window

I have not seen the PC yet but if OP is correct that he said harder that is an important distinction from speed.

Plenty of reasons why Xer market is harder on a manager and owner late in window that has nothing to do with speed of deals happening.

Tman77

Quote from: Allprocro on August 24, 2023, 04:20:19 PM

I have not seen the PC yet but if OP is correct that he said harder that is an important distinction from speed.

Plenty of reasons why Xer market is harder on a manager and owner late in window that has nothing to do with speed of deals happening.

The quote attributed is

'on signing players, says it is difficult to persuade players late in the market. Says its easier with more time' - so yes, emphasis certainly appears to be on difficulty rather than speed.

Lighthouse

Haven't see the press conference yet. Mainly because I am depressed enough. I am sorry and as much as we like Silva as a coach and what he has done for Fulham has to be admired and thanked. He isn't the greatest when it comes to these sort of things. If you were on the edge of a building ready to jump the last person you would want to see would be Marco Silva. He could make a happy man sad, a grown man cry and a young man give up completely.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

South Coast White

Quote from: LittleErn on August 24, 2023, 04:14:04 PMI hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me as though Silva might be off if we don't meet his expectations in the transfer market. He'll probably complete his current contract, but the fact that he hasn't signed an extension suggests that he is leaving his options open. He is certainly showing the frustrations that we all share.
Totally agree, he has appeared very solemn in recent interviews and I would not be surprised if he walks away earlier than expected if he does not get the support from upstairs as he deserves.

Caedal

Silva can moan all he likes, I still think a good part of the issues we've had this summer are because of all the uncertainty about his future, which took him ages to address, and his seeming unwillingness to sign a new contract.
It gives off bad impressions

FFC1987

Quote from: South Coast White on August 24, 2023, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on August 24, 2023, 04:14:04 PMI hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me as though Silva might be off if we don't meet his expectations in the transfer market. He'll probably complete his current contract, but the fact that he hasn't signed an extension suggests that he is leaving his options open. He is certainly showing the frustrations that we all share.
Totally agree, he has appeared very solemn in recent interviews and I would not be surprised if he walks away earlier than expected if he does not get the support from upstairs as he deserves.

I mean, if he feels the squad he isn't capable of surviving relegation, he has to walk and I wouldn't blame him. But I doubt this is the case. We're weaker overall (subjective I know) but we're likely at least on par defensively, an argument for better with Bassey. But ultimately, weaker with no Mitrovic or Solomon (again up for debate but that's my opinion) so unless drastic things happen this window, I think he'l simply maintain our survival, and walk without signing a new deal and personally, I wouldn't blame him. The guy has ambitions which I'm not convinced are shown here and they haven't adequately supported in him in building a competitive squad for the start of the season, but hope he can pull it together a few weeks into the season with an unsettled pre season squad.

I appreciate this will trigger the more positive posters on the board but that's my opinion.

Blawarmy

Basically saying our recruitment has been crap this summer. Because it has. 

filham

We have already made three signings in this window ,how many are we expecting in total. Three more and that is over half a team.
I was hoping that we would keep our starting eleven and just add a couple of  top quality players.