watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What if?

Started by SerbianLad, September 04, 2023, 12:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

I can't help but wonder, would us signing 2 or 3 excellent players (a la Palhinha, Willian, Mitro, Tete, Leno) very early in the window have changed anything regarding Mitro's and Joao's situation?

Imagine a hypothetical situation we got a superb cb and a right winger for example, very very early in the window. It would show that we have a lot of ambition and both Mitro and Joao might have been more interested in staying. We would likely have been more attractive to other potential new signings as well.

It's just a thought, I know it might not have changed anything, as seemingly both got their heads turned by obscene money and a very big club respectively.

colinwhite

Sorry but IF ... my auntie had balls shed be my uncle !

Nero

Doubt it, Mitro went for money & Joao was going to a CL club

FFC1987

Nice thought, but we know now Mitrovic was motivated by money. That doesn't change the equation regardless of ambition. Maybe if he ended up going to say, Chelsea, or a CL side, this might have some validity, but really, it was money.

C Block

Quote from: SerbianLad on September 04, 2023, 12:03:45 PMI can't help but wonder, would us signing 2 or 3 excellent players (a la Palhinha, Willian, Mitro, Tete, Leno) very early in the window have changed anything regarding Mitro's and Joao's situation?

Imagine a hypothetical situation we got a superb cb and a right winger for example, very very early in the window. It would show that we have a lot of ambition and both Mitro and Joao might have been more interested in staying. We would likely have been more attractive to other potential new signings as well.

It's just a thought, I know it might not have changed anything, as seemingly both got their heads turned by obscene money and a very big club respectively.
Would have made no difference whatsoever, Mitrovic went to Saudi for one reason and one reason only and its got absolutely nothing to do with ambition or lack of ambition from the club,
I'm delighted we're shot of him, good riddance.

Allprocro

Neither transfer had anything to do with our squad, so no.

Also the idea that we could have signed 3 excellent players like JP/Mitro is not realistic. So your question is more like if we made more of the same signings but earlier in the window would they have stayed. Answer obviously still no.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Nero on September 04, 2023, 12:22:10 PMDoubt it, Mitro went for money & Joao was going to a CL club
Yes, as I said, just a thought... It probably wouldn't have changes anything with either player. Still, I believe it's better to do bussines early and have got some signings early doors we would have attracted new players with more ease.

Lighthouse

A better argument could be put forward for convincing Silva to sign an extension if we had managed to bring in players of quality early. But even then I doubt it.

Mitro was driven by age and greed. Pal was driven by ambition and hope.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

hovewhite

Our  no 9 saw a bigger salary and dropped us like a stone.
JP we should have stuck to our guns held out for 90million,but to let him go to Munich for a medical ridicules as far easier to turn his head.That was and is monumental clanger.

Sting of the North

Quote from: hovewhite on September 04, 2023, 12:51:52 PMOur  no 9 saw a bigger salary and dropped us like a stone.
JP we should have stuck to our guns held out for 90million,but to let him go to Munich for a medical ridicules as far easier to turn his head.That was and is monumental clanger.

Or he would have been furious with the club had we not let him go for a medical? This is just guess work whether or not one alternative is better than the other. But one thing is for sure, the club was in a better position to assess the best course of action than any of us radnom persons on the internet. Doesn't mean they picked the correct path, but increases the odds at least.

Cambridge Away

Apart from being a money grabber, Mitro was a massive f**king baby. AND he is not the kind of person i would say that to his face. But people are saying far worse. Plus we're all friends here.

SuffolkWhite

Football is a business whether we like it or not  players are mercenaries eith Agents agitating for moves all the time. The likes of Les Strong were few and far between in the 80's ley alone now.

Mitro could have gone years ago  and Palhina is always going to leave a smaller club like us.

I'm more concerned with dodgy Ref's and VAR at the moment.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

alfie

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on September 04, 2023, 01:12:42 PMFootball is a business whether we like it or not  players are mercenaries eith Agents agitating for moves all the time. The likes of Les Strong were few and far between in the 80's ley alone now.

Mitro could have gone years ago  and Palhina is always going to leave a smaller club like us.

I'm more concerned with dodgy Ref's and VAR at the moment.
I don't agree they are mercenaries, it is their job their career, they are entitled to want to better themselves, just like anyone can, but in saying that it should not be at the detriment to their current club, if they have agreed and signed a contract.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

KentFulham

Not sure it would have made a difference, however the lack of ambition is shameful. To think how many people paid for overinflated ST's in the riverside, expecting investment in the team and to push higher than last year. It is looking like we could be in for a tough season, paying through the nose for it, and still taking a piss in the worst toilets the football world has seen.

The scale of the downfall is staggering

Sting of the North

Personally I think the hyperbole from some on here is far more staggering than any alleged downfall.

But that is just my opinion.

KentFulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 04, 2023, 01:49:42 PMPersonally I think the hyperbole from some on here is far more staggering than any alleged downfall.

I don't particually think it is unreasonable to have expected ambition from the club, nor is it unrasonable to be critical at times. I, like may others invest in the club by buying a ST, attending each week (For me it is a 4 hour round trip) etc. There are a number red flags since the end of last season such as MS Contract, Palhinha medical, Riverside Stand debarcle, lack of a striker, lack of investment in the ground (Hammy End, despite steep rises) to think that our owners, and those in charge may have taken the eye off the ball is hardly hyperbole

Cumbrian White

Players want CL, even if we qualify
for the  CL, unless we get to latter stages regularly we'll always lose players. Of course it'll make it easier to sign them too.

Life of a Fulham fan, enjoy the talent in front of you as they won't be here for long!

filham

Quote from: Nero on September 04, 2023, 12:22:10 PMDoubt it, Mitro went for money & Joao was going to a CL club
That is right, it is hard to think of anything we could have done to retain those two. We have to face the fact that outstanding players are going to be snatched from us by the big boys.

Sting of the North

Can raise valid concerns without pretending that everything all of a sudden turned to crap. We still look very much like a solid Pl team.

"The scale of the downfall is staggering" still sounds like grade A hyperbole to me. Feel free to disagree of course (which I assume you do), this is forum for opinions after all.

Sammyffc

Quote from: KentFulham on September 04, 2023, 03:02:42 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 04, 2023, 01:49:42 PMPersonally I think the hyperbole from some on here is far more staggering than any alleged downfall.

I don't particually think it is unreasonable to have expected ambition from the club, nor is it unrasonable to be critical at times. I, like may others invest in the club by buying a ST, attending each week (For me it is a 4 hour round trip) etc. There are a number red flags since the end of last season such as MS Contract, Palhinha medical, Riverside Stand debarcle, lack of a striker, lack of investment in the ground (Hammy End, despite steep rises) to think that our owners, and those in charge may have taken the eye off the ball is hardly hyperbole

Well lets see,

MS Contract - if he doesnt want to sign then he doesn't want to sign. So not sure what the club is supposed to do?. I do believe we should try and keep him, however not bending over backwards to keep someone who has his eye on other projects, or just money.

Palinha medical - We accepted a bid on the premise that we can sign a replacement. Their window closes before ours so we let him do a medical just incase our replacement came off. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Riverside Stand - Hyper inflation in the world, causing the company to go into administration leaving us and Liverpool in dire straits. Hence Fulham's lawsuit.

Lack of a striker - Agreed, however Marco came out and said he didn't push for a striker. So not sure where we go for that one.

Hammy End - Correct, sh**thole.

So in reality the only one which holds in the hammy end ?