watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on the new time-wasting rules?

Started by demeant0r, September 16, 2023, 08:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demeant0r

What do you guys think about the new time-wasting rules resulting in some games that have over 10 minutes of stoppage time at the end?

It used to be a legitimate tactic if you were facing the likes of City or United but I feel like it just punishes teams that have no chance against the aforementioned teams.

But at the same time, if you're chasing a game against a team like Luton who parks the bus and also time wastes, it's great to get the extra minutes.

Willham

Quote from: demeant0r on September 16, 2023, 08:39:54 PMWhat do you guys think about the new time-wasting rules resulting in some games that have over 10 minutes of stoppage time at the end?

It used to be a legitimate tactic if you were facing the likes of City or United but I feel like it just punishes teams that have no chance against the aforementioned teams.

But at the same time, if you're chasing a game against a team like Luton who parks the bus and also time wastes, it's great to get the extra minutes.

Personally I'd prefer to see the change and we just stop the clock, the extremely long injury times are very unpredictable whereas if you stopped the clock, when it restarted at least you knew how much game time was left, yes it's still unpredictable when the game ends but in terms of actual playing time you have a reference.

The problem the f.a face with that is cost, games will last much much longer if reports of 60 min playing time are to be believed, that'd equate to almost another half an hour of costs, while teams wouldn't really be able to say we need to raise ticket costs without a backlash.

Twig

I think the new rules are an important step in the right direction. There may be better ways, like stopping the click, but certainly a positive step. In cricket I hate that us punters lose overs due to slow over rates, in football we lose playing time due to stoppages and time wasting. At least with the new rules we are closer to getting what we pay for.

Brawn

Carragher and Neville did a piece on Sky about the new rule changes and it was explained to them this was a FIFA rule and not an FA rule. They also highlighted that an average League Two game last season had only something like 53 minutes of the ball in play. The first week of the EFL this season saw some ludicrous additional minutes but today we had +2 in the first half and +4 in the second half, so the players and teams are clearly learning.

filham

WE shouldn't be concerned about it, time wasting is totally in the hands of coaches and players, they must simply cut it out.

bahay18

As long as it's consistently applied then it's great .

Berserker

I think the problem could be that the big clubs could time waste knowing they are likely to perform better in the added time rather than smaller clubs. They have better subs to call upon and  have the advantage that as we saw yesterday.  Luton was better in the first half, good on the break, a bit of a handful, but faded in the second half when our skills and stamina come to the fore. Likes of Man City etc will definitely have an advantage with a longer period of extra time.

Plus there is an issue of night matches of missing your train hone, so alot of fans will end up having to leave before the end
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Logicalman

Quote from: demeant0r on September 16, 2023, 08:39:54 PMWhat do you guys think about the new time-wasting rules resulting in some games that have over 10 minutes of stoppage time at the end?

I wouldn't agree that it is/was "a legitimate tactic", it's the same as the "professional foul" whereas some accept and other don't, either way I don't see that it's in the spirit of the game. The only legitimate tactic I see is when the ball is in play.

The FA, imo, have taken large steps forwards with the recent rule changes, anything to make a more watchable and complete match must be for the good of all.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Lighthouse

If the rules are applied consistently and fairly then we would all support it. But when another overly long VAR check in injury time occurs. We as fans have no idea how much longer the referee has decided to add on.

A simple clock in the stadium, stopping when an injury or VAR occurs, a hooter when that goes to zero and then the referee can blow when he wants to and after any added time for what he considers time wasting. But the fans will know when the time has actually passed and then how much the ref is keeping the game going for time wasting.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Somerset Fulham

I think its a great idea, if you cheat then you should get punished. By all accounts Sheffield United got exactly what they deserved yesterday because of timewasting.

Plus the jeopardy of injury time is one of the best things about a football match, if that is extended then I am all for it.

Logicalman

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2023, 01:13:51 PMIf the rules are applied consistently and fairly then we would all support it. But when another overly long VAR check in injury time occurs. We as fans have no idea how much longer the referee has decided to add on.

A simple clock in the stadium, stopping when an injury or VAR occurs, a hooter when that goes to zero and then the referee can blow when he wants to and after any added time for what he considers time wasting. But the fans will know when the time has actually passed and then how much the ref is keeping the game going for time wasting.

I see you've been watching ruggers for a while then sir.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 17, 2023, 01:17:14 PMI think its a great idea, if you cheat then you should get punished. By all accounts Sheffield United got exactly what they deserved yesterday because of timewasting.

Plus the jeopardy of injury time is one of the best things about a football match, if that is extended then I am all for it.

Absolutely. I don't like seeing Spurs win, but all the fake cramping and goal keeper time wasting yesterday deserved the extra time. I was glad to see the Blades get punished for it.

It will be better in the long run if teams are forced to learn other ways to hold onto leads. Keeping the ball out of play spoils the sport.

copthornemike

We all want to see time wasting penalised, however ......
Take yesterday's match when the Luton keeper was booked in the first half. Really?
Heckinbottom's team were doing their best to slow play so were hauled up by their own petard. Their keeper deliberately handled the ball outside his area so any jeopardy of a second yellow card was down to him.
However the Luton keeper was booked for delaying a goal kick in the first half. Would being sent off for a second yellow card for a 'technical' infringement have been a reasonable outcome?

kiwian

Recently it appears the refs aren't as quick to flash the yellow, I can't believe Pickford got away with it today.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

alfie

Quote from: kiwian on September 18, 2023, 10:20:37 AMRecently it appears the refs aren't as quick to flash the yellow, I can't believe Pickford got away with it today.
I can't believe he got away with the abuse he gave the linesman who just stood there and took it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

WindyCity

For the most part, I think it's working fine.  Throw-ins are happening quicker, and keepers getting the ball in play quicker as well.  No big deal, really....

HamsterWheel

I was happy to see that the scoreboard actually ticked past 90 minutes so you could see how long was left in theory.
In previous seasons it just stops at 90 and everyone around me used to use their phone timers to countdown the additional minutes.

hovewhite

As long as it's applied fairly then it's ok.would prefer refs to stop there watches and then restart games would be a detterent to teams like Luton,sheff utd.

Woolly Mammoth

Time wasting is also cheating supporters out of watching football we pay extortionate money for.
Because time wasting does not give value for money as it is not football.

We go to watch 90 minutes of football not 60 minutes.
Then watch 30 minutes of football wasting time when the ball goes out play, and players play acting whilst pretending to be injured, lying on the ground saying they need attention, and slowing everything down to a snails pace.
That is not value for money.

Apart from cheating on the field of play, it cheats the supporters out of what we come to watch, and that is a game of football.

It was overdue but now it is here i welcome the new rule.
Common sense has eventually prevailed.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nick Bateman

There is no clarity about how much time to add on and the way the authorities have presided over the sport does not fill me with any confidence about this new change. We saw how they added 11 minutes in the Arsenal game where there was hardly any time wasted. Arsenal of course needed to win so the cynic in me suggests that was the reason.

They should have a visible clock that is stopped as in rugby, a far more honestly administered sport. I feel some of the additional minutes seen only in the English league, nowhere else in the world, do look farcical and one can see many managers being irate when another team scores a winner in the tenth or fifteenth minute of debatable wasted time.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"