watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Words fail me.

Started by bog, September 29, 2023, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I know it's not football but I cannot believe that some teenager decided to take a chainsaw to that Sycamore tree by Hadrian's Wall. What on earth was he thinking of?

gang

Absolute moron, what makes anyone do such a destructive and stupid action?

Fernhurst

He was arrested very quickly Captain.

The question is WHY?

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SG

Quote from: bog on September 29, 2023, 08:46:48 AMI know it's not football but I cannot believe that some teenager decided to take a chainsaw to that Sycamore tree by Hadrian's Wall. What on earth was he thinking of?

This, plus a 17 year old carries and uses a 12 inch long knife at 8.30 in the morning.
What is wrong with these people. My father was an advocate of conscription for such people when I was growing up. Makes you think he may have been right. I'm at a loss as to what is the solution to these problems

H4usuallysitting

I hadn't heard of that Sycamore tree, until it had been felled - wonder why the young chap chopped it down

Holders

What a beautiful tree it was but one wonders what the idiot can be done for that will fit the offence? A few hours' community service will not replace a tree hundreds of years old.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

deadcowboys

He clearly has a future as a tree surgeon as that was some tree for a 16 year old to fell.

Perhaps a reciprocal punishment would be to take the chainsaw to his legs.

Huxley

If he was itching to  fell a Sycamore tree, he should have to our place where we have any annoying one in abandoned alley between our back neighbours and us. Pain in the ... to pick out mini sycamores in the garden and from behind the shed. In the event of a zombi apocalypse, Sycamores will take over the island...maybe that's his motive...

filham

I live on the top floor of a block of three story flats and outside of my two bedroom windows less than 2m off the building is a large  old tree reaching a height some 3m above the building, my two bedrooms are kept dark by the tree as are living rooms in the two flats beneath. The tree is listed and we not permitted to remove it but are allowed only to crop the tree so so that it is not more than 1m away from the building, we have to carry out cropping at our expense every other year.
The local tree planning officer keeps a diligent eye on us to ensur ethat we keep within his restrictions.

I really feel that I should arrange for our tree planning officer to be posted to Hadrians Wall.

hovewhite

Sorry but the killing with a knife by a 17 y.o which is a sad loss to her family is more important.

filham

Quote from: hovewhite on September 29, 2023, 05:41:32 PMSorry but the killing with a knife by a 17 y.o which is a sad loss to her family is more important.
Of course, no question, but who said it wasn't.
It is also more important than our match against Chelsea on Monday but that doesn't mean we are not going to talk about Fulham v Chelsea.

bog

Quote from: hovewhite on September 29, 2023, 05:41:32 PMSorry but the killing with a knife by a 17 y.o which is a sad loss to her family is more important.

I am not saying it isn't, just that you wonder what goes though the minds of todays teenagers.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: bog on September 29, 2023, 09:06:58 PM

I am not saying it isn't, just that you wonder what goes though the minds of todays teenagers.

The plot has thickened. A man in his 60s has also been arrested. He may end up charged with treeson.

blingo

Bring back the birch and bring back national service

Eton White

Quote from: blingo on September 29, 2023, 11:51:43 PMBring back the birch and bring back national service

I think the man in his 60s might be a bit old for national service.

Somerset Fulham

I am really struggling to believe that a 16 year old dragged a chainsaw across open countryside and then cut down a huge tree like that in the pitch black with the precision of a tree surgeon without killing himself.

It just doesn't add up.

HV71

Apparently a 60 year old man has been arrested- so words do fail me but it could be "one of our own " Bog . Unbelievable .

Somerset Fulham

Perhaps we should bring back National Service for all sixty year olds...

This is an absolutely despicable act of vandalism, I look forward to hearing what the motives were.

RaySmith

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 30, 2023, 07:43:49 AMPerhaps we should bring back National Service for all sixty year olds...

This is an absolutely despicable act of vandalism, I look forward to hearing what the motives were.

Get on social media?
Maybe they thought the tree was too woke!

Very depressing reflection on  our country today - to think this tree has stood for hundreds of years, until today.

Wonder what the charges will be, I expect they will throw the book at them, with all the outcry, but depends on what they can charge them with - their names will be mud, anyway.

bog

Yes a 60 year old 'man' has been arrested. Seems that the 16 year old assisted this rather deranged old er em, I am lost for words once again. I wonder what on earth his motives were?