News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does anyone else find Chelsea more likeable these days?

Started by Cambridge Away, October 03, 2023, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

No. 40+ years of disliking them and it's not going to change.

Jules

I hated them more when they had Terry, Drogba, Lampard, Ashley Cole etc playing for them. I definitely hate them less now if you know what I mean. Just have no feeling about them either way. Nowadays my most disliked team is Brentford. Just cannot stand their manager, Toney, their fans. Wont happen but I would love them to get relegated.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Jules on October 04, 2023, 11:31:29 AMI hated them more when they had Terry, Drogba, Lampard, Ashley Cole etc playing for them. I definitely hate them less now if you know what I mean. Just have no feeling about them either way. Nowadays my most disliked team is Brentford. Just cannot stand their manager, Toney, their fans. Wont happen but I would love them to get relegated.
Yeah. I used to detest them. Even when they had Rudiger, Alonso, Mount, Kepa (and player power) etc they were very unlikeable. Perhaps i just don't know their latest players well enough yet.

My point was that the Chelsea that formed from the waifs and strays of our lot (in 1919) and developed into a racist club (that only very recently was abusing Raheem Sterling) seems to be being converted into something with an identity that has no alignment with their past. At first glance i can't help but like that (and after all they had no history before all the money), but upon reflection, as stated in my final sentence of the OP, i questioned are they now becoming more of an evil because of it? I was aware that i didn't have total clarity in my thoughts when i wrote it and thought people would be able to add some detail to this. Which some have. I definitely wasn't trying to influence people to think something else, otherwise why would i write something that is a little contradictory. I didn't expect so many people irritated by a subject heading that said "MORE likeable". Maybe i should have put "less objectionable". But Glad to see there is still a lot of unity amongst us in our rivalry with our old friends in SW6 (for now at least).

Barrett487

Respectfully, i'd say i don't understand why this is even a topic.

I realise that some will have disliked them less because, as kids, they were taken to both grounds, but most of us dislike them with a passion.

Next you'll be saying you're warming to John Terry !!

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 04, 2023, 12:19:07 PMRespectfully, i'd say i don't understand why this is even a topic.

I realise that some will have disliked them less because, as kids, they were taken to both grounds, but most of us dislike them with a passion.

I've literally just said he was one of the main reasons why i didn't like Chelsea so much.

I was not taken to both grounds. In fact i am of the generation where my adolescent school days were when we were in ""Division 3"" (whilst Chelsea started flexing with Gullit and Vialli etc). Chelsea kids had hardly even heard of Fulham in those days. We were like some novel concept at our crumbling "ground"... as they built their  super "stadium".

If you want to talk about passion for the fixture, i made the front page of the Fulham Chronicle with a banner i made when we played Chelsea for the first time in decades (i smuggled into Stamford Bridge), after we made it back to the Premier League. I also made a second one (on a burberry bed sheet  ::smile:: ) that never saw the light of day because it rained over night before the paint dried.

bobbo

ive never disliked chelsea . some of the strokes pulled when the russian was there leave plenty to be desired but my familiy originated equi distant between both clubs and my dad was chelsea but my cousins took me to fulham in the fifties and that was it for me . still attending 60 odd years later . i just feel hating the club up the road quite immature . spurs and gunners classic example.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Lighthouse

Never have disliked them more than any other club. They have traditionally been the big club to our minnows. But local rivalry has always seemed pointless. When most of the fans don't live in the area anyway.

John Hollins was always one of my favourite players as a youngster. He was captain of my Subbuteo England Team.

But more likeable? No I don't find then any more likeable.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

No.   My disappointment the other day was that Fulham did not show up to play against Chelsea who put out a team of kids, can't win a raffle and then they play us.  ::angry::

Cambridge Away

Quote from: jarv on October 04, 2023, 01:21:28 PMNo.   My disappointment the other day was that Fulham did not show up to play against Chelsea who put out a team of kids, can't win a raffle and then they play us.  ::angry::
I think the most disappointing thing about the day was they actually looked quite good (and with a load of kids). They have been terrible for a while, so it was fun while it lasted. If only we could have played them a couple of weeks earlier

Two Ton Ted

Never ever bloody anything ever.

FFC1987

I find them easier to laugh at if that's included in 'likeable'? Otherwise, no, I find them worse and a huge reason I find myself rather disillusioned with the game. The amount of ribbing I got from a side so far fallen from grace, that beating Fulham, and going level on points with them is considered a win whilst in the same breathe, talking about 'building' off it whilst sat 11th......

The clubs played by tits, run by tits and supported by tits.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 04, 2023, 06:29:07 PMI find them easier to laugh at if that's included in 'likeable'? Otherwise, no, I find them worse and a huge reason I find myself rather disillusioned with the game. The amount of ribbing I got from a side so far fallen from grace, that beating Fulham, and going level on points with them is considered a win whilst in the same breathe, talking about 'building' off it whilst sat 11th......

Fair play. I guess not having anything to do with any Chelsea fans these days is a big reason for not caring about them so much any more. Then all i see are the antics of players.
Apologies for any offence caused by my post.

FFC1987

Quote from: Cambridge Away on October 04, 2023, 06:37:53 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 04, 2023, 06:29:07 PMI find them easier to laugh at if that's included in 'likeable'? Otherwise, no, I find them worse and a huge reason I find myself rather disillusioned with the game. The amount of ribbing I got from a side so far fallen from grace, that beating Fulham, and going level on points with them is considered a win whilst in the same breathe, talking about 'building' off it whilst sat 11th......

Fair play. I guess not having anything to do with any Chelsea fans these days is a big reason for not caring about them so much any more. Then all i see are the antics of players.
Apologies for any offence caused by my post.

Haha, don't worry buddy, you didn't cause any offence and anyone's welcome to like them. I just don't personally.

Neutral Zone Ultra

No, club full of racist fans (alongside their club legend) that employed a drink-driving murderer at LB, who bankrolled their way to the top using blood money and now are distorting the financial playing field yet again. Scumbags, the day they fold will be party time.

Barrett487

Quote from: Cambridge Away on October 04, 2023, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on October 04, 2023, 12:19:07 PMRespectfully, i'd say i don't understand why this is even a topic.

I've literally just said he was one of the main reasons why i didn't like Chelsea so much.

I was not taken to both grounds. In fact i am of the generation where my adolescent school days were when we were in ""Division 3"" (whilst Chelsea started flexing with Gullit and Vialli etc). Chelsea kids had hardly even heard of Fulham in those days. We were like some novel concept at our crumbling "ground"... as they built their  super "stadium".

If you want to talk about passion for the fixture, i made the front page of the Fulham Chronicle with a banner i made when we played Chelsea for the first time in decades (i smuggled into Stamford Bridge), after we made it back to the Premier League. I also made a second one (on a burberry bed sheet  ::smile:: ) that never saw the light of day because it rained over night before the paint dried.
Fair enough, but it was only the final line of my post that was aimed at you and you've answered that. The thing about the post subject, is obviously questioning your decision to post it, but hey this is a forum for discussion... i just wouldn't have thought to ask the question.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 04, 2023, 06:29:07 PMThe clubs played by tits, run by tits and supported by tits.

This is fLIcking perfect!

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Cambridge Away on October 04, 2023, 06:37:53 PMApologies for any offence caused by my post.

Don't be daft, it was a valid question mate!

You've offended nobody with this, I can assure you.

Penfold

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on October 04, 2023, 08:13:30 PMNo, club full of racist fans (alongside their club legend) that employed a drink-driving murderer at LB, who bankrolled their way to the top using blood money and now are distorting the financial playing field yet again. Scumbags, the day they fold will be party time.

Harsh, but fair 🍻