watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Unlucky, left it too late

Started by Nick Bateman, January 24, 2024, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Thought Fulham decided to play the same system as Middlesboro's inept display v Chelsea, passing it around at the back until we lose the ball in our own half.

Silva messed up picking BDR over Harry Wilson who made an immediate difference, then when we had momentum Silva subbed the fine Tomy Cairney and we lost all our shape.

Cairney looked furious taking off the armband - I'm not sure of any club captain treated much worse!!!!

Leno's error was one thing but that dallying on the ball killing the tempo and the clock while we had a 0-2 deficit was a hard watch. Again Silva needs to sort out Leno and stop playing like Middlesboro.

Fans were best ever, didn't have much to cheer when team were so lacklustre in first half.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

St Eve

BDR was poor tonight and Wilson gave us a lift. Cairney was knackered. I would probably have started with Reed and brought Cairney on. I prefer Tete to Castagne. Tough on Leno. A bit of a deflection.
Easy for me to say after the game

bill taylors apprentice

Many fans know very little about how to play football.

KentFulham

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 24, 2024, 10:06:43 PMThought Fulham decided to play the same system as Middlesboro's inept display v Chelsea, passing it around at the back until we lose the ball in our own half.

Silva messed up picking BDR over Harry Wilson who made an immediate difference, then when we had momentum Silva subbed the fine Tomy Cairney and we lost all our shape.

Cairney looked furious taking off the armband - I'm not sure of any club captain treated much worse!!!!

Leno's error was one thing but that dallying on the ball killing the tempo and the clock while we had a 0-2 deficit was a hard watch. Again Silva needs to sort out Leno and stop playing like Middlesboro.

Fans were best ever, didn't have much to cheer when team were so lacklustre in first half.

Agree on Wilson, but goal was mostly Castagne being out of position, not looking and being totally done over.

Poor subs, Silva showed some naivety today

TC's Sporran

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2024, 10:26:44 PMBDR was poor tonight and Wilson gave us a lift. Cairney was knackered. I would probably have started with Reed and brought Cairney on. I prefer Tete to Castagne. Tough on Leno. A bit of a deflection.
Cairney wasnt knackered and was involved in all our best moves  including the goal) right until being subbed

St Eve

Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 24, 2024, 10:32:48 PM
Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2024, 10:26:44 PMBDR was poor tonight and Wilson gave us a lift. Cairney was knackered. I would probably have started with Reed and brought Cairney on. I prefer Tete to Castagne. Tough on Leno. A bit of a deflection.
Cairney wasnt knackered and was involved in all our best moves  including the goal) right until being subbed
Oh ok

AJW48361

I thought there was a gulf in quality.Our Ball retention particularly First Half was poor we looked Nervous and apprehensive I thought 1-1 flattered us would've been over the moon  if was a League match.

hovewhite

Quote from: AJW48361 on January 24, 2024, 11:00:07 PMI thought there was a gulf in quality.Our Ball retention particularly First Half was poor we looked Nervous and apprehensive I thought 1-1 flattered us would've been over the moon  if was a League match.
tend to go along with that ,also pressed hard on our midfield and we couldnt release the ball effectively to our forwards.we improved soon as Wilson was on the pitch and feel he should have started the game.

Nick Bateman

Silva had a choice beforehand. Play a very fast ex-Liverpool Fulham player against his old club who also featured in the two 5-0 winning Fulham teams, or play a bloke who wasn't in those 5-0 wins that messed up two great chances in the away leg.

He chose the latter.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 24, 2024, 11:18:21 PMSilva had a choice beforehand. Play a very fast ex-Liverpool Fulham player against his old club who also featured in the two 5-0 winning Fulham teams, or play a bloke who wasn't in those 5-0 wins that messed up two great chances in the away leg.

He chose the latter.
If nothing else... Silva's job is safe looking at some of the other experts available..
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 24, 2024, 11:18:21 PMSilva had a choice beforehand. Play a very fast ex-Liverpool Fulham player against his old club who also featured in the two 5-0 winning Fulham teams, or play a bloke who wasn't in those 5-0 wins that messed up two great chances in the away leg.

He chose the latter.

I think going with Reid was the right call, he did well in the first leg and Wilson is always better off the bench. He should've brought Wilson on sooner though.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AJW48361 on January 24, 2024, 11:00:07 PMI thought there was a gulf in quality.Our Ball retention particularly First Half was poor we looked Nervous and apprehensive I thought 1-1 flattered us would've been over the moon  if was a League match.

Our retention was so poor because they boxed us in, forcing us to put 10 men behind the ball and only leave Jimenez as an outlet. We were notably better in the second half as we played a higher line and an excellent offside trap. Palhinha really struggled in the first half so our ball recovery wasn't great but he was back to his usual self in the second.

Bassey the warrior

I think Cairney was one of our best players and given we needed to score starting with him over Reed was the right call. I personally didn't see any signs of tiredness and can only assume Silva was worried we'd be overrun if it was just Cairney and Palhinha after we'd gone 4-4-2, especially given his unjust booking.

I think the plan was to force Liverpool back by having Reed in his box to box high press role and then put Jimenez in a deeper role to link the play. It didn't work out and Muniz was left isolated. We never seem to play well with two up top, just lack a bit of imagination.

Thames Bank 1

There were a few nervous players tonight, Robinson, BDR whole time on pitch, Cairney should have came on and not started over Reed, it left to much for Palhinha to do.
But they never gave up and we were in it to the end,

AJW48361

Palhinha did struggle most of the evening distribution not of a 60 million player hopefully we cash in during the summer Window.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AJW48361 on January 25, 2024, 02:05:06 AMPalhinha did struggle most of the evening distribution not of a 60 million player hopefully we cash in during the summer Window.

Or, it puts the big clubs off and we can keep him. Wishful thinking probably.

filham

He chose the latter.
yes , you have a good point Nick. No doubt that we are struggling to get amongst the goals in match after match and Marco needs to select the players who are likely to score or generate goals.
That means Cairney, Wilson and Christian must be included in the next few starting selections.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2024, 10:53:15 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 24, 2024, 10:32:48 PM
Oh ok
im not alone saying he wasnt knackered. and you are in the minority thinking his substitution was merited.  on the match thread i counted our attacks and reeds involvement after coming on and we had one attack during the last 9 minutes of the game. and reed touched the ball 6 times in safe areas.  so different from the previous 5 minutes. momentum was totally lost.