Monday Fulham Stuff (24.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 24, 2011, 06:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham new boy Steve Sidwell finds a haven at Craven Cottage

By Simon Cass

Last updated at 1:26 AM on 24th January 2011

Back in the game: Steve Sidwell is trying to revive his career at Fulham

Craven Cottage has become a top venue for those trying to get their careers back on track and Steve Sidwell is the latest hopeful.

West Ham, Wolves and West Bromwich were all keen to sign the midfielder, but he decided Fulham would be the best place to recover from a dismal two-and-a-half years with Aston Villa, which followed a wasted season at Chelsea.

Manager Mark Hughes — who had a sticky start at Fulham, but has now overcome the ignominy of being fired by Manchester City — sees Craven Cottage as the ideal place for forgotten footballers to remind former employers of their talent.

'He's been hampered by injuries since he left Reading,' said Hughes.

'We know we've got a good player. There were a lot of clubs in for him because they understand what he can offer.

'What he needs is consistent football and the feeling that he's part of the main team here. For the last two or three years, he's not had that feeling.'

Sidwell is likely to enjoy that feeling earlier than planned — at Liverpool on Wednesday — after Dickson Etuhu suffered a hamstring injury in Fulham's 2-0 home win over Stoke.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1349877/Fulham-new-boy-Steve-Sidwell-finds-haven-Craven-Cottage.html#ixzz1BvnYIqHk

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/224908/Fulham-2-Stoke-0-It-is-starting-to-fit-together-for-Johnson/

FULHAM 2 STOKE 0: IT IS STARTING TO FIT TOGETHER FOR JOHNSON 

Clint Dempsey scored Fulham's second with a penalty

Monday January 24,2011

By Gideon Brooks 

ANDY JOHNSON believes he has finally put 16 months of injury troubles behind him and is now ready to lead Fulham's charge up  the  table.

Victory over below-par Stoke on Saturday continued his side's recent revival, completing a haul of seven points in three league matches that lifted them four points clear of the drop zone.

And with the team beginning to click on the pitch, new faces in the squad and several key players returning from injury, Johnson is confident the threat of relegation is fast receding.

Johnson, having missed most of last season and the first eight games of this campaign with shoulder, groin and knee problems, is ready to start afresh.

A first goal for the club since August 2009 came last week against Wigan and he shone here against Stoke, providing the first of Clint Dempsey's two goals and proving a constant threat.

"I have had a few niggles here and there which is all part of coming back after being out for so long, but I'd like to think I'm clear now," said Johnson.

"The goal last week against Wigan was obviously a big monkey off my back. But I've started to play better football; my touch is getting there, my runs are getting better and I've started to feel sharper game by game."

Johnson's renaissance mirrors that of the club after a dark midwinter that left manager Mark Hughes fearing for his job.       

New faces at the training ground – Steve Sidwell was a promising second-half substitute here and Shaun Wright-Phillips could arrive this week on loan with a £4million option to buy in the summer – have provided a timely fillip. But it is the return to form and fitness of several of Hughes' attacking options, including Damien Duff, Johnson and Moussa Dembele – out for nine Premier League starts with an ankle injury – that has led to the improved football.

Johnson believes now it is "time to kick on". He said: "The last two or three weeks it has been coming together and the boys are looking good. With Bobby Zamora maybe two, three or four weeks away from coming back, things are looking good."

Saturday's game was as good as over as early as the 55th minute, when Ryan Shawcross received a red card for bringing down Dempsey and the American converted the spot-kick for his eighth league goal of the campaign.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis and Hughes had twice refused to shake hands at the end of matches this season but did so here, even though the former suggested his side had been a shadow of their usual combative selves.

Hughes, in contrast, believes confidence was now coursing through the club. "We just needed to get key personnel back, but the results we are now getting allow us to be more confident going into games."

FULHAM (4-4-2): Stockdale 6; Pantsil 6, Hughes 7 (Halliche 75, 5), Hangeland 6, Baird 6; Duff 7, Murphy 5, Etuhu 6 (Sidwell 62, 6), Dempsey 6; Johnson 7, Dembele 7 (Gera 75, 5). Booked: Murphy. Goals: Dempsey 33pen, 56.

STOKE (4-4-2): Begovic 5; Wilkinson 5, Shawcross 5, Huth 4, Collins 5 (Carew 58, 6); Etherington 5 (Whelan 63, 5), Whitehead 6, Wilson 6, Delap 5; Jones 5, Tuncay 5 (Faye 58, 5). Booked: Wilkinson. Sent off: Shawcross 55.

Referee: S Attwell (Warks).

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/224908/Fulham-2-Stoke-0-It-is-starting-to-fit-together-for-JohnsonFulham-2-Stoke-0-It-is-starting-to-fit-together-for-Johnson#ixzz1BvougD1O

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6696631,00.html

Webo could make Jan switch

Cameroon ace attracting British interest

Last updated: 23rd January 2011   

Webo: Wanted

Pierre Webo is being tracked by a host of clubs as he could be set to seal a January switch to Britain, skysports.com understands.

The Cameroon international striker has spent most of his career in Spain.

He is currently with Real Mallorca, having also been with Leganes and Osasuna.

The 29-year-old forward is now attracting attention from a clutch of clubs, who could be ready to tempt Mallorca into doing a deal.

Celtic are understood to be one of those leading the way but Birmingham, Bolton, Fulham and West Brom are also thought to be keeping tabs on his situation.

His British representative Barry McIntosh confirmed the interest.

"Yes, a number of clubs are looking at bringing Pierre over this month," he told skysports.com.

"I don't really want to get into the names, but we are looking to do something."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/johnsons-welcome-return-primes-fulham-firepower-2192513.html

Johnson's welcome return primes Fulham firepower

Fulham 2 Stoke City 0

By Nick Szczepanik at Craven Cottage

Monday, 24 January 2011

While Stoke City gave John Carew his debut on Saturday, after signing the striker on loan from Aston Villa, Fulham have yet to add to their goalscoring strength during the transfer window. But with Andrew Johnson back from a long-term knee injury and Bobby Zamora also within sight of a return, Fulham manager Mark Hughes must feel as if he has already acquired two new top-class forwards – and for nothing.

Clint Dempsey has performed manfully as a stand-in, and scored twice against Stoke to bring his total to eight league goals this season. But Craven Cottage regulars are thoroughly enjoying the return to action of Johnson, who created the opening goal for the American on Saturday with a flash of his old pace, and was a constant thorn in Stoke's side.

"It takes a bit of time after being out 14 to 15 months in total," Johnson said. "Slowly it's started to come. My touch is getting better, my runs are getting better and I've started to feel sharper game by game. I don't go out on the pitch thinking about my knee at all now. I played 90 minutes against Stoke two or three weeks ago when we won 2-0 and I played it again today.

"Bobby helped me, sending me texts all the time, and I've done the same for him," he added. "On and off the field, he's a top, top guy. He's only a couple of weeks away now. He was in great form before he was injured and we are sure he's going to bounce back. We miss him dearly."

While Zamora and Johnson will surely resume their classic "little and large" partnership, Carew's arrival has confused rather than clarified Stoke's strikeforce, although his "large and larger" double-act with Kenwyne Jones over the last 32 minutes of Saturday's games was hard to assess with Stoke a man down, after Ryan Shawcross was sent off for the foul that allowed Dempsey to double Fulham's lead from a penalty.

"It was difficult for [Carew], but he's done all right," Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, said. "He's got a great goalscoring record in the Premiership and we're hoping he'll nick us a few goals from now until the end of the season. With [Ricardo] Fuller and Tuncay, Kenwyne and Jon Walters as well, we've got a bagful of forwards. We can mix and match and they'll do well."

Scorer: Fulham Dempsey 33, 56 pen.

Substitutes: Fulham Halliche (Hughes, 75), Sidwell (Etuhu, 62), Gera (Dembélé, 75). Unused Etheridge (gk), Salcido, Kamara, Davies.

Stoke Faye (Collins, 58), Etherington (Whelan, 63) Tuncay (Carew, 58). Unused Sorensen (gk), Fuller, Pennant, Walters.

Booked: Fulham Murphy Stoke Wilkinson

Sent off: Stoke Shawcross (54)

Possession Fulham 68% Stoke City 32%.

Shots on target Fulham 7 Stoke City 1.

Man of the match Dempsey. Match rating: 6/10.

Referee S Attwell (Warwickshire). Att 23,766.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/01/clints_magnum_force.php

Clint's Magnum Force            

Posted by Phil Mison 6 hours, 44 minutes ago

© Getty Images

Deuce at the double leads from the front as vibrant Fulham turn in a commanding performance against Stoke
It's been a difficult few months following Fulham. Realistically, none of us had any right to expect another memorable season like the last. For a club that's yet to land a single top domestic honour in its 132 year history, those epic encounters in the Europa League last winter might have to last us a lifetime, tales for the retelling to as yet unborn grandchildren.

Or, with our season on the cusp of being transformed, we could in May go and lift the FA Cup? That's the fascination of sport - the only thing predictable being its unpredictability. When you consider the abject performance from Boxing Day, less than a month past, who would have dared foresee maximum points from the two Stoke games, four goals scored and none conceded?

We've all had plenty to say on this forum about the side's shortcomings to date, myself included. The beauty of the internet of course is it's a charter for cowards. I suspect more than a few of us would have quickly become tongue-tied had we by chance found ourselves in a one-to-one chat with Mark. In the very early days of the al-Fayed era, the small knot of us journos who were covering Fulham then for local press and radio, had the temerity to question Ray Wilkins tactics after a poor display at Gillingham. 'Gentleman' Ray ruthlessly cut us off at the knees.

We know the ship was rocked by Roy's abrupt departure for Anfield in the summer and Hughes came into pre-season both under-prepared and aware he was not Fulham's first choice for the job. Within the first month he'd been double-whammeyed by the loss through injury of both his England striker and new star signing. A drop in form by some senior players compounded by a small and lop-sided squad led to four months of struggle.

Whatever else was going on behind the scenes up to Christmas, the player's reaction to that shock win at Stoke showed they believed in the boss. I was reminded of that this weekend as pundits broke cover to reveal the Liverpool players, having no faith in Hodgson, had simply not been performing for him. In effect, they got him the sack.

Hughes has at times perhaps been his own worst enemy in not courting the fans more. More passion and a less phlegmatic response to our poor form would have gone down well - it was all in stark contrast to Roy's fatherly and inclusive approach to embracing the Fulham ethic. Some still maintain Hughes is only using us a staging post for a return to higher things.

But enough of the conjecture and back to facts. Seven points from nine now makes the table a much easier read. We've inserted a little daylight between us and the bottom sides, our GD is vastly superior to other strugglers and we've now joined up to the mid-table pack, with all the signs we are well capable of rising further up the table. Why, I even fancy us getting something from our trip to Liverpool this week.

What made the latest win significant was questions being asked repeatedly of Stoke all over the park. Duff looking his old self, Dembele teasing and neat, AJ full of threat and running - playing with a swagger and a smile. Brilliant play to create the opening goal for Clint. Dependability across the back, Danny in control of midfield, a terrific probing pass forward leading to the penalty (at last!). And can you really drop Stockdale again when Mark returns?

So, for the first time perhaps in months, I am delighted to post nothing but positives from the evidence of Saturday's game. To conclude, there is one factor to acknowledge that perhaps got overlooked during our dark period. I am happy to put it right.

Clint's contribution has been immense over the first half of the season. Shouldering much of the responsibility in attack, never shirking to go in where it hurts, his goals alone have kept our heads above water. Now with nine for the season, surely the Texan, at the top of his game, must be an early candidate for player of the season.

Congratulations to the side for their hard work and commitment. Very soon now it will be time to say welcome back Bobby and hallo Phillipe - while Hughes I hear is still looking to add another striker this month. Let's hope from here on, the only way is UP!

Keep the Faith - Fulham F.C. founded 1879, London's friendliest club
Twitter@fulhamphil

\\\\\

White Noise

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hughes-hangs-on-to-duff-and-his-job-2507999.html

Hughes hangs on to Duff -- and his job

By Fulham 2 Stoke City 0

John Ley

Monday January 24 2011

It says much for the aspirations of Fulham that a recent approach for winger Damien Duff was rejected out of sight. Mark Hughes, once Blackburn manager, said a call from his former club asking about his winger was not even returned.

Steve Kean, now in charge at Ewood Park and formerly the Fulham assistant manager under Chris Coleman, wants Duff back at the club where he spent seven seasons.

"They were trying to get in touch with me two or three weeks ago to see if there was any possibility," said Hughes, "but I didn't take the call. That was my answer."

Less than a month ago, the axe hovered over Hughes. Following the St Stephen's Day defeat by West Ham, he needed a win from the next three games to secure his job. Fulham responded with a victory away to Stoke in their next game. They now have 10 points from a possible 15, thanks to a second victory over Stoke at the weekend.

The coming week will confirm where they sit in the scheme of things. On Wednesday they go to Liverpool and on Saturday they play Tottenham in the FA Cup fourth round.

A player almost certain to feature is Steven Sidwell. Rescued from inactivity at Aston Villa, he is set to start at Anfield, given that Dickson Etuhu has damaged a hamstring.

Clint Dempsey was the hero on Saturday. The American now has nine goals this term, with his goal in each half -- the second a penalty after a foul that saw Ryan Shaw-cross sent off -- confirming Dempsey's ability to cover for Bobby Zamora. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

- Fulham 2 Stoke City 0 John Ley

White Noise

Pulis: I've got no beef with Cottagers

Published 23:00 23/01/11

By Darren Lewis

Tony Pulis insists he has no problem with Fulham following the Londoners' bad blood with Stoke.

Stoke boss Pulis and Fulham's Mark Hughes failed to shake hands after their past two meetings.

The animosity came after Andy Wilkinson's challenge on Moussa Dembele in the Potters' 2-0 Carling Cup win in September.

But Pulis said: "Fulham are a great club. I have a lot of respect for them."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stoke-boss-Tony-Pulis-insists-there-s-no-bad-blood-with-Fulham-after-latest-London-clash-article680385.html#ixzz1Bvuleue8

White Noise

Fulham 2-0 Stoke: Daily Mirror match report

Published 22:30 23/01/11

By Darren Lewis

Mark Hughes revealed after this romp that Blackburn are still trying to take Damien Duff back to Ewood Park.

On this evidence, however, the Irish winger would be mad to swap Fulham's work in progress for the circus being run by the chicken tycoons.

With Shaun Wright-Phillips to come on loan from Manchester City this week and Steve Sidwell making his debut in this bloodless victory, Hughes is building an efficient outfit intent on focusing on the top, rather than the bottom half of the table.

Darren Bent's shock decision to swap Sunderland for Aston Villa last week showed, however, that you never can tell with players. Which is why Hughes is doing his best to take the decision out of Duff's hands.

He joked: "I think [Blackburn] were trying to get in touch with me two or three weeks ago to see if there was any possibility [of signing Damien] but I didn't take the call. So that was my answer.

"We've got a platform here that allows players to come here and get their careers back on track. They've obviously got to perform and if they don't they will struggle but if they work hard there's a great platform here for any player who wants to come and enjoy their football."

Sidwell in particular will have enjoyed his new club's total domination of the Potters even though the fans' chants of "2-0 to the Football team" were a bit harsh.

Clint Dempsey netted first on 33 minutes, spearing Andy Johnson's ball across the six-yard box into the roof of the net. Then, when Ryan Shawcross was sent off for holding Dempsey back on 56, the American dusted himself down to despatch the resulting penalty.

Hughes added: "Clint's been great for me since I came here. He's had an impact in every game he's played. It's been hard on Zoltan Gera because I've chosen Clint ahead of him, but because Clint's done so well for me it's been unfortunate for him.

"The results we are getting enable us to be more confident leading into games now."

Sidwell, handed his debut for the last half hour, appears to have chosen wisely in joining Fulham with the other two teams after him – West Ham and Wolves – knee-deep in relegation trouble.

His was a gentle introduction following an injury to Dickson Etuhu. But the former Reading and Chelsea midfielder will have a tougher test at Liverpool on Wednesday.

Hughes added: "He wanted to move back to this part of the world. He's very keen to get his career back on track. We're pleased he's here.

"With a doubt over Dickson we may need him. He was able to have a nice easy introduction today. He's always had the energy to get from box to box. He's been hampered by injuries since he left Reading.

"Obviously he was at Chelsea when the opportunity to play was more difficult. We know we've got a good player.

"There were a lot of clubs in for him because they understand what he can offer. What he needs is consistent football."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-2-0-Stoke-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Mark-Hughes-says-Damien-Duff-would-be-crazy-to-go-back-to-Blackburn-article680371.html#ixzz1Bvv6RsC

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/stoke-citys-passing/

Stoke City's passing

Filed under: Analysis — timmyg @ 4:55 pm

Sheesh, I'm just going to let this graphic speak for itself.

White Noise

http://fotboll.expressen.se/internationellt/1.2302672/david-elm-uppges-klar-for-elfsborg

David Elm declared ready for Elfsborg

David Elm give up the Premier League life and return to the headlines - but not to Kalmar FF

Already now, Elfsborg have done in the season's heaviest recruiting headlines.

According to SPORT-Expressen writes David Elm, 28 at the club today, and will be presented later in the week.
Elfsborg will pay 5.5 million for the striker.

- No comments, says Elms agent Patrick Dark.

. DAVID ELM
Height / weight: 191 cm/95 kg.
Previous clubs: Fulham FC, Kalmar FF, Falkenberg FF, Helsingborgs IF, IF Nybro, Emmaboda IS and Johansfors IF.
Achievements: National Championships in Kalmar FF in 2008, has made eleven goals in 51 matches with Kalmar FF in Allsvenskan. A Premier League goals in ten matches with Fulham.
. January 22, 2011
Elfsborg: "We are on location in London".
Elfsborg have for some time shown interest in the former Kalmar attacker.
On Saturday, told the club's chairman Bosse Johansson that he and the club director Stefan Andréasson was on location in London - he would not confirm that it was to meet with David Elm and his club Fulham.

Economic muscle
But according to SPORT-Expressen data is Elfsborg and Fulham now agreed a transfer fee - and David Elm will be ready for the league again soon - maybe even today.
According to reports he will sign for four years with Elfsborg - Kalmar not. Club Elm represented in three seasons and won national championships in 2008.
Kalmar also showed great interest - but could not match Elfsborg economic muscle and lost the bidding, according to SPORT-Expressen data.
Elfsborg will pay 5.5 million dollars to get off Elm from his contract with Premier League club Fulham.
David Elms agent Patrik Dark on SPORT-Expressen information:
- I have no comments.

Has barely been allowed to play
It was in September 2009 by David Elm wrote in a one-year contract with Fulham, then under Swedish acquaintance Roy Hodgson's leadership.
In May last year he signed for another two years. But Elms Premier League adventure has not been successful.
During his time at Fulham, he has only played ten matches and scored one goal.
Now he returns therefore to the headlines and see that judging by the contract, which expires in 2015, appears to be back for good.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/24/fulham-stoke-city-premier-league

Andy Johnson shines again as a revitalised Fulham dazzle a dull Stoke

• 'One of my better performances,' says former England striker

• Tony Pulis denies Chelsea have made offer for Asmir Begovic

Dominic Fifield at Craven Cottage The Guardian, Monday 24 January 2011

Andy Johnson in action against Stoke as Fulham eased to their second league victory over Tony Pulis's men this season. Photograph: Lee Mills/Action Images

Andrew Johnson spoke of things "finally coming together" but evidence abounds that Mark Hughes's troubled settling‑in period at Fulham has now long since passed. A fourth win in six matches in all competitions fuelled the suspicion that this team have rediscovered their rhythm. The Londoners are pulling clear of trouble.

They have Stoke City to thank for coaxing out their revival. Tony Pulis's side were victims of this side's first stride on the road to recovery in the Potteries last month and they were defeated again as the Europa League finalists moved four points clear of the cut-off. That is a psychological boost though so too is the cavalry's return. Johnson is buzzing at defenders' feet again; Danny Murphy's passing is purring; Damien Duff and Moussa Dembélé are nuisances on the flanks; and there is balance and spark to the side's whole approach.

Add to the mix the imminent return of Bobby Zamora to their front line, allied to the prolific form of Clint Dempsey already in their ranksand a foray into mid-table is the least of Fulham's aspirations. "The boys are looking forward to Bobby coming back – he could be back training with us in three or four weeks," said Johnson. "It's time to kick on now." This team are more easily recognisable. Stoke were awkward opponents, their threat persistent, but they were still undone.

Johnson's waspish energy was key to prising Stoke apart. His neat spin and burst away from Ryan Shawcross, who endured an afternoon to forget, hadpresented Dempsey with the opening goal. With the former England striker now fully restored after two years of knee, collarbone, groin and hamstring complaints, He had hardly flinched when Andy Wilkinson, the locals' pantomime villain, clattered into him early on. The forward may have lacked the goal he deserved but this was a return to his pesky best. "My touch and the runs I'm making are starting to get better and I'm feeling sharper game by game. That was probably one of my better performances. I'm over the niggles, the knee is feeling really good, and I'm not going out there worrying about it at all any more. I've played two 90 minutes against Stoke in the last month and they're a big, physical team. It's as if every one of their players is over 6ft 2in. But you roll your sleeves up and our football shone right through."

It dazzled Stoke at times. Duff, the subject of interest from Blackburn Rovers which Hughes has knocked back, struck the bar early on before Dempsey collected, spun and glided between Shawcross and Robert Huth just before the hour to prompt the visiting captain's professional foul and Fulham's penalty. Shawcross will now serve a two-match ban, missing games at Wolverhampton Wanderers in the FA Cup and Liverpool in the league. Whether Ricardo Fuller, an unused substitute here, remains an option for Pulis to employ given apparent interest from Sunderland to prise him away will become clear over the next week.

The Stoke manager appears to be longing for the clarity that the closure of the transfer window should bring. "People who are talking up things and situations ... well, we'll soon find out if anything happens," he said before denying having received any approach from Chelsea for his goalkeeper Asmir Begovic. His own eye-catching loan signing, John Carew, huffed and puffed with his team depleted but will enjoy more productive afternoons than this in the months ahead. "I'm really happy to be here," said the Norwegian. "We're organised, powerful and will score goals." Stoke have options. Fulham, it now appears, do too.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8277567/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-confirms-ambition-following-Clint-Dempseys-double-against-Stoke-City.html

Fulham manager Mark Hughes confirms ambition following Clint Dempsey's double against Stoke City

Fulham 2 Stoke City 0

By John Ley 7:00AM GMT 24 Jan 2011

It says much for Fulham's aspirations that an approach for winger Damien Duff was ignored. Mark Hughes, once the Blackburn manager, admitted that a call from his former club was not even returned.

Steve Kean, in charge at Ewood Park and formerly the Fulham assistant, wants Duff back at the club where he spent seven seasons.

"They were trying to get in touch with me two or three weeks ago to see if there was any possibility," said Hughes, "but I didn't take the call. That was my answer."

Less than a month ago, the axe hovered over Hughes. Following the Boxing Day defeat by West Ham, he needed a win from three games to secure his post.

Fulham responded with a victory away to Stoke City in their next game. They now have 10 points from a possible 15, thanks to a second victory over Stoke. Recently in a tormented place, Fulham are looking up and feeling good. The coming week will confirm where they sit in the scheme. On Wednesday they go to Liverpool, on Saturday they play Tottenham in the FA Cup.

A player almost certain to feature is Steven Sidwell. Rescued from inactivity at Aston Villa, he is set to start at Anfield given that Dickson Etuhu has damaged a hamstring. Hughes said: "We know we've got a good player. There were a lot of clubs in for him because they understand what he can offer. He needs consistent football and the feeling that he is part of the main team here. For the last two or three years he's not had that feeling."

Clint Dempsey knows how that feels. The American who embarrassed England in the summer has nine goals this season, equalling his best in English football.

A goal in either half, the second a penalty after a foul that had Ryan Shawcross sent off, confirmed Dempsey's ability to cover for the injured Bobby Zamora. Dempsey's strike partner, Andrew Johnson, was back to his best, making the first goal. Zamora is close to returning, so from searching for a striker Fulham have strength in depth.

Stoke were undisciplined and complicated. Their next league game is at Anfield, where Shawcross will be missing so manager Tony Pulis looks to John Carew to make his mark.

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6697140/AJ-happy-to-witness-the-fitness

AJ happy to witness the fitness

Sunday 23rd January 2011 20:18

Andy Johnson admits he may have rushed back from knee surgery as he finally looks forward to an injury-free run in the Fulham side.

Johnson produced arguably his best display since his return from nine months on the sidelines in Saturday's 2-0 Premier League win over Stoke, the 29-year-old setting up Clint Dempsey's opening goal and proving a thorn in the visitors' side throughout.

The striker made his comeback in October and Fulham rightly eased him back in with a string of substitute appearances before his first start.

But that failed to prevent him picking up a hamstring strain over the festive period and Saturday was his first start since New Year's Day.

Asked if the injury might have been caused by coming back too soon, Johnson said: "Maybe, yeah. You just don't know.

"When your body feels right, there's no point waiting an extra two or three weeks. You might as well just join in.

"That's how I felt. My knee felt really good.

"I came back from my knee injury probably three, four, five weeks quicker than everyone expected and, yeah, you always get those little niggles, hamstring niggles, thigh, quad, stuff like that."

Johnson broke a goalscoring duck dating back almost 17 months in last weekend's 1-1 draw at Wigan, while 90 minutes against the notoriously-physical Stoke was a good indicator he is now back to full fitness.

"I don't go out on the pitch thinking about my knee at all now," he said.

"I'm fully fit, I played 90 minutes against Stoke three or four weeks ago when we won 2-0 and I played it again.

"It's always going to be a hard game against Stoke - they're a big physical team, every player's over 6ft 2in.

"But you've got to roll your sleeves up and I'd like to think our football shone right through."

He added: "It's slowly started to come. Got a goal last week, which was obviously a big monkey off my back.

"My touch is getting better, my runs are getting better, started to feel sharper game by game and I can just continue doing that."

Strike partner Bobby Zamora helped keep Johnson's spirits up during his injury nightmare and he is returning the favour as the former nears his return from a broken leg.

"Bobby helped me - he was sending me texts all the time and I've done the same for him," Johnson revealed. "We're close mates on and off the field."

Zamora is renowned as a bit of a joker and Johnson added: "He's a top guy - I love him, I love him.

"He's been doing it around the training field - probably more now because he's so bored, being in that treatment room.

"He's kept the boys going through that tough period and he's a great character to have around.

"The boys miss him dearly, on and off the field."

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/853505-clint-dempsey-and-damien-duff-transfer-interest-mounting-as-fulham-dig-in

Clint Dempsey, Damien Duff transfer interest mounting as Fulham dig in

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is facing an uphill battle to keep Clint Dempsey and Damien Duff at Craven Cottage after receiving offers from Bundesliga clubs Wolfsburg and Hamburg as well as Blackburn Rovers.

Looking elsewhere: Fulham's Clint Dempsey is a hot prospect to leave Craven Cottage after strong performances (Action Images)

After losing Edin Dzeko to Manchester City, Wolfsburg boss Steve McClaren is eager to fill the void left by the Bosnian and Dempsey would be an ideal candidate after confirming his successful transition into an out-and-out forward striker.

Dempsey netted twice in Fulham's 2-0 win over Stoke at the weekend partnering up with Andy Johnson in a fruitful outing for the Cottagers.

Hughes confirmed Rovers had also enquired for former player Duff but was reluctant to even consider an offer, preferring to ignore all calls from Ewood Park.

'They [Blackburn] were trying to get in touch with me two or three weeks ago to see if there was any possibility,' said Hughes.'I didn't take the call. That was my answer.'

Dempsey's contract runs out in 2013 while 31-year-old Duff's expires in 2012 leaving Hughes with plenty of time to decide on whether it's wise to cash in on the pair.

A move for Dempsey could also come from the newly rejuvenated New York Cosmos but the club is at least a year away from competing in the MLS.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/853505-clint-dempsey-and-damien-duff-transfer-interest-mounting-as-fulham-dig-in#ixzz1BwpxV9hQ

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6698513,00.html

Hughes - Hands off Duff

Fulham boss shrugged off Blackburn approach

Last updated: 24th January 2011   

Duff: Going nowhere

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has warned any potential suitors they would be wasting their time if they pursue the signing of Damien Duff.

The Republic of Ireland international was linked with a return to former club Blackburn earlier this month but Hughes quickly insisted he was not for sale.

The Cottagers manager admits he did not even discuss the situation with Rovers and he hopes they have now got the message.

Hughes is determined to keep all his main players this month and feels Fulham can push on up the Premier League table over the next few weeks.

They have already started to pull clear of the relegation battle since the turn of the year and continued their fine form with a 2-0 victory over Stoke on Saturday.

Cutting edge
"I think Blackburn were trying to get in touch with me two or three weeks ago to see if there was any possibility of getting Damien but I didn't even take the call. So that tells you my answer," Hughes said in The Sun.

"All we have needed is to get key players back.

"We were playing reasonably well, we all felt that, but we weren't getting any results.

"It wasn't good enough in those terms, we just needed a cutting edge.

"In recent matches we've been able to do that."

White Noise

Schwarzer Update

Monday 24th January 2011

David Stockdale looks set to continue in goal for Fulham this week as Mark Schwarzer's 2011 Asian Cup adventure continues.

Australia secured their place in the Semi-Finals of the Asian Cup on Saturday with a one-nil win over Iraq.
Harry Kewell's winner deep into extra time secured the Socceroos path into the Semi-Finals, where they will face Uzbekistan in Doha on Wednesday for a place in the Final.

The first Semi-Final match will see Japan challenge the Korea Republic on Tuesday at the Al-Gharafa Stadium. The 2011 Asian Cup Final will be played on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/AsianCupUpdate.aspx#ixzz1Bwrdkcp2

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6698570,00.html

Ba seals Hammers move

Hoffenheim ace signs on

By Graeme Bailey - Follow me on Twitter @graemebailey   

Last updated: 24th January 2011   

Ba: Done deal

Hoffenheim striker Demba Ba has completed his move to West Ham United on loan until the end of the season.

Skysports.combroke the news on Sunday that the Senegalese star was due to sign on Monday, and the deal has now been finalised.

A host of Premier League clubs had emerged as rivals to West Ham over the weekend, with Sunderland, Everton, Fulham and West Brom all making late moves.

He saw a move to Stoke collapse earlier in the month, but now West Ham - who were the first club to make an approach for him - have finalised a deal.

The deal will be a huge boost to manager Avram Grant, who is looking to bring in a few more new faces before next week's deadline.

White Noise

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1370231.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Schwarzer set to match Australian record

(AFP) Monday 24 January 2011

Veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is set to reach another landmark in his long career tomorrow, equalling Australia's all-time caps record.

The Fulham star is preparing to make his 87th appearance in the Socceroo's AFC Asian Cup semi-final against Uzbekistan, matching the feat of Alex Tobin, who played between 1988 and 1998. Tobin was in the Australian side when Schwarzer made his debut against Canada in 1993.

The 38-year-old will almost certainly break the record even if they lose, with either the final or a third-place play-off match on the horizon.

He's such a gentleman and it'll be an honour to be on the same amount of games as him.Mark Schwarzer, Australia goalkeeper

"It'll be a fantastic honour to match him," said Schwarzer. "He is a fantastic servant still to the game today. He was a great player for the Socceroos and I made my debut in the national team when he was playing, so there's a bit of history there as well between the two of us. He's such a gentleman and it'll be an honour to be on the same amount of games as him."

Schwarzer has no immediate plans to retire and could conceivably take his international caps beyond a century. Current Socceroo stars Brett Emerton and captain Lucas Neill are also near the top of their country's all-time appearance list, with 81 caps and 68 caps respectively.

White Noise

Martinez and Pulis were wrong... Fabregas and Dempsey are no cheats

By Graham Poll

Last updated at 9:18 AM on 24th January 2011

Post-match comments from managers are always worth listening to. This week, I was particularly interested in the words of Roberto Martinez and Tony Pulis after their teams conceded penalties.

First things first: they were both penalties, and young referees Kevin Friend and Stuart Attwell were well positioned, decisive and correct in awarding them.

Wigan boss Martinez claimed afterwards that Cesc Fabregas had cheated to win his penalty, saying: 'I know Cesc very well. 'He is a wonderful player and very clever – and he knows how to buy decisions from referees.'

While I think that he is wrong, in this case he qualified his comments by adding: 'Cesc comes from a different culture – you do not cheat if you take a decision from the referee: it is because you are clever and you are getting something for your team. In England, to do that is cheating.'
I am sure you don't need reminding that, of course, Martinez is also Spanish.

When I refereed in Europe, I was quickly made aware that there was a big difference between northern and southern Europeans in the way they approached the game.
The Mediterranean players went down much easier and everyone just expected a free-kick, and so they were given. Players stayed down injured more often and the whole affair was more theatrical.
However, there was always contact between the players if I gave a free-kick and it was just that some had more desire to continue playing than others. 

That is, of course, their prerogative as in law there is no requirement for a player who feels contact from an opponent to stay on his feet.
Martinez was wrong to suggest that going to ground after contact is cheating and I am sure that Fabregas and his manager will be angered at such a suggestion.

Next up was Stoke boss Pulis, who - judging by his words - cannot have seen the replays of Ryan Shawcross bringing Clint Dempsey down for the penalty that sealed Fulham's win.

Tangled up: Clinton Dempsey is pulled down by Stoke's Ryan Shawcross at Craven Cottage

He said: 'There was a coming together. I'm obviously going to be biased and say Dempsey looks for it. I know Ryan has his hand on him, but Dempsey is very clever at doing that. Ryan now misses two games and that punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's something we've got to look at. They get rewarded with a penalty and now we get punished again.'

Maybe it was just disappointment at the double punishment for his centre half which led to his comments, as Pulis is usually far more reasonable.

Shawcross was caught out by a great turn by Dempsey and in trying to catch him put his arm over the American's shoulder to impede him. That's a foul and once given Shawcross had to go.

Everyone wants referees to comment on incidents after games. Sometimes that would be beneficial.
However, as Martinez and Pulis showed this weekend, sometimes it would be better to wait until the dust has settled and tempers have calmed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350007/Graham-Poll-Martinez-Pulis-wrong--Fabregas-Dempsey-cheats.html#ixzz1BwuOq7Rf

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/if-its-so-important-to-you-take-it/?

If it's so important to you, take it
Filed under: General — rich

Captain Murph can barely contain himself before wandering back towards the half-way line....