watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tom Cairney ignored by Fulham-hating ex-Chelsea Steve Clarke

Started by Nick Bateman, March 21, 2024, 06:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Looking at the suggested squad for Scotland, ex-Chelsea Steve Clarke has omitted our brilliant playmaker Tom Cairney.

Scotland have selected players from Southampton, Norwich and even Bologna(??) above Fulham's fabulous captain.

Either Clarke's style of football does not require Scotland need a playmaker as they play hoof-and-hope, or Clarke simply just hates Fulham.

He cannot be that obtuse to the current form of Fulham and Cairney as we scythe a path through the Premier League aiming for the European places. The fact TC hasn't played every match should not be an issue, certainly in comparison to the likes of Billy Gilmour, Ryan Christie & Stuart Armstrong. I would rather have Cairney than John McGinn whom Clarke seems to blow smoke up.

It's a shame Tom Cairney declared for Scotland as it has been a fruitless committment - he would have better chances for an England cap as the national team could do with a "Hoddle-esque" type creator.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

General

How does time on pitch compare to those called up? The only other consideration is Cairney is barely Scottish. He's clearly as English as you can be whilst having a Scottish relation... maybe Clarke thinks going for a player who has such limited ties and interest in Scotland is off-putting?

I'm just speculating though.

Somerset Fulham

I'm sure he retired after McLeish got involved last time around, didn't he?

Somerset Fulham

Actually, ignore this. A quick Google and I have put myself right.

filham

I have always been surprised at how few caps Cairney has , for some reason he is just not rated by Scottish selectors.

bill taylors apprentice

Clarke's time in charge has brought the Scottish team up from rubbish to mediocre by playing dull, unambitious football.

He wouldn't know how to use a player with Cairney's quality.

MickTheBeard

One player they have brought in  to their squad from bologna ex aberdeen midfielder and captain  scored 6goals and silva likes him could be cairneys replacement is 24.

peachcobbler

For what is it worth Patrick Barclay was on the Fulhamish podcast a few months ago and believes TCs lack of action is one of the worst mistakes in modern Scottish football history.

gang

He's not a first choice player for Fulham, why would he be picked for a national squad?

Sting of the North

Quote from: gang on March 22, 2024, 09:39:21 AMHe's not a first choice player for Fulham, why would he be picked for a national squad?

Lots of players that are not first choice play for their national teams (Maguire and Phillips for England as prime examples). He plays enough for it not to be a big disadvantage. Also, many (most) national teams (for example Scotland) have a much lower overall quality of players than Fulham.

peachcobbler

Quote from: gang on March 22, 2024, 09:39:21 AMHe's not a first choice player for Fulham, why would he be picked for a national squad?

Odd take considering around half of Fulham players getting called up have not been full time starters.

Watford_fc

Quote from: peachcobbler on March 22, 2024, 12:49:54 PM

Odd take considering around half of Fulham players getting called up have not been full time starters.

And Scotland probably have a few in the same boat generally.

southwest6

iirc, cairney refused to play for scotland on a couple of occasions. He's never really been up for it, so I kind of get it to be honest...

alfie

I do find it a bit odd that people moan about waste of time internationals, because of players getting injured/fatigued, then have a go because a player has not been selected. A mate of mine has just done that so I upset him by calling him a hypocrite.

He thought about it then obviously realised you can't have it both ways.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

peachcobbler

Quote from: southwest6 on March 22, 2024, 02:31:24 PMiirc, cairney refused to play for scotland on a couple of occasions. He's never really been up for it, so I kind of get it to be honest...

He pulled out due to injury in 2018 and everyone was saying it was a ploy to get picked up for England. If I recall correctly TC came out and rejected the notion he ever was trying for England, that it was all banter and his dad would kill him if he played for England.

I believe, although I might be totally misremembering, McLeish confirmed he thought the England interest was a story only and that Tom had showed no interest in dodging Scotland for England.

Nick Bateman

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Cambridge Away

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on March 21, 2024, 08:30:30 PMClarke's time in charge has brought the Scottish team up from rubbish to mediocre by playing dull, unambitious football.

He wouldn't know how to use a player with Cairney's quality.
It didn't stop Scott Parker    ::smile::

Cambridge Away

He has kept Andreas on the bench for a good part of the season. Andreas who has just been star man (albeit sub) for Brazil. A team that beat England at Wembley for the first time in years.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Cambridge Away on March 26, 2024, 12:34:17 PM
He has kept Andreas on the bench for a good part of the season. Andreas who has just been star man (albeit sub) for Brazil. A team that beat England at Wembley for the first time in years.

Hasn't Andreas started all but one game this season (or something like that)? He has certainly not been kept out by TC, but they have started several games together.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Cambridge Away on March 26, 2024, 12:34:17 PM
He hasn't though. He kept Lukic and Reed on the bench. He didn't start against Everton in the opening game agaist Everton because he just recovered from a serious injury. Next game he didn't start was Brighton away where ot was Iwobi that took his place. The final game he didn't start was the 2-1 win against Arsenal when it was again Iwobi that took his place. So that statement is factualy incorrect.