News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Americans, which country is your state?

Started by ImperialWhite, January 25, 2011, 10:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/01/comparing_us_states_countries

Which countries match the GDP and population of America's states?

IT HAS long been true that California on its own would rank as one of the biggest economies of the world. These days, it would rank eighth, falling between Italy and Brazil on a nominal exchange-rate basis. But how do other American states compare with other countries? Taking the nearest equivalent country from 2009 data reveals some surprises. Who would have thought that, despite years of auto-industry hardship, the economy of Michigan is still the same size as Taiwan's?

American FOFers, which country are you?

finnster01

Interesting/surprising to see that we in NY state have a larger GDP than Australia and actually slightly lower population.

Oi, Mr CorkedHat stop looking at sheilas and get to work mate  :hook:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Texas is Russia. It seems appropriate as we have massive oil reserves, vast expanses of geography you WOULDN'T want to visit, incredible disparity in income levels between the movers-and-shakers and the peasants [like me], and our highest elected official is a one-man cult of personality. The major difference is, of course, that our governor has a MUCH better haircut.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on January 25, 2011, 02:51:29 PM
Texas is Russia. It seems appropriate as we have massive oil reserves, vast expanses of geography you WOULDN'T want to visit, incredible disparity in income levels between the movers-and-shakers and the peasants [like me], and our highest elected official is a one-man cult of personality. The major difference is, of course, that our governor has a MUCH better haircut.

And you can just about make out HatterD's house on that map. That has a GDP equivalent to the Republic of Ireland.  :57:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 25, 2011, 03:00:02 PM

And you can just about make out HatterD's house on that map. That has a GDP equivalent to the Republic of Ireland.  :57:

Reminds me of this old joke.

Teacher: What's the capital of Poland?

Student: At the current exchange rate, about fifty bucks.

mccscratch

And you have no qualms about executing people...  :024:
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

MisfitKid

YES, California baby!!   :008:
Italy...?  Interesting.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

timmyg

Maryland is South Africa?

There's a lot of unintentional humor to be had with this
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

finnster01

Quote from: timmyg on January 25, 2011, 03:50:36 PM

The crab is better in Maryland though...

sipwell

@ Hatter: they compare GDP of the states with that of nation-states. Ohio = Belgium, Belgium = Ohio. Absolutely nothing to do there. :S
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on January 25, 2011, 04:08:37 PM
@ Hatter: they compare GDP of the states with that of nation-states. Ohio = Belgium, Belgium = Ohio. Absolutely nothing to do there. :S
Not arguing Mr Sipwell, but they do have the Rock'nRoll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I rather take a look at that than some EU nonsense in Brussels. Having said that, I rather have a beer in Brussels. Choices, choices... :032:

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on January 25, 2011, 04:35:50 PM
Not arguing Mr Sipwell, but they do have the Rock'nRoll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I rather take a look at that than some EU nonsense in Brussels. Having said that, I rather have a beer in Brussels. Choices, choices... :032:

Although it's not nearly so comfortable for German armies to march through Ohio.

Sorry, Mr. Sip  :yellow:  But I just couldn't resist.

mhatc

Currently Swedish, although I am originally from Belgium. I spent one year in Indonesia.

duffbeer

I am very happy with that comparison Mr. Sipwell.  I can smell the lambic now.  A buckeye lambic.  I wonder how that would taste.  And canals that are on fire, even better.

PaulUMD

Quote from: timmyg on January 25, 2011, 03:50:36 PM

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing, especially being a former PG County resident.

McBridefan1

Not sure about our economy but Massachusetts is liberal enough to be the Netherlands...  :drums: hey oooooh.

MA: 365 billion gdp in 2005... 6.4 million people

Netherlands: 638 billion gdp in 2005... 16 million people

I guess we are closer to norway and austria... which are at 388 and 371 respectively. Populations... austria 8.2 million people and Norway only 4.9 million... time to move to Norway.

in the us we are ranked 13th
in the Eu noway and austria are 13th and 14th

McBridefan1

Ha ha my current state is New Hampshire it has a gdp of 59 billion we are happily tied with Croatia...lol.

croatia has 4 million people new hampshire has the same number of cows, but we have just a touch over 1 million people living in the state... this multiplies 10 times over on holidays when the massholes from massachusettes vacation in our white mountains. Of course the state starts listing when NASCAR comes to Loudon, as millions of trailer parks from the deep south uproot and take up residence in NH for NASCAR weekend... can I get a yeeeeehaaaaa? Our state motto: NH the south of the North.

CorkedHat

I guess that Sydney tries to be a microcosm of New York City but that is where the similarity ends.
The GDP might be similar but geographically they cannot possible compare. Does NY have a plague of mice, then locusts and now mosquitos all in a matter of months? Are you crying out for water after fourteen years of drought and having to bring it in by truck only to later lose over twenty lives in the worst floods imaginable?
Does NY have raging bush fires, the best beaches in the world and some of the most stunning scenery you will ever see? Does NY have me and the Rup Pub?
Yes, today is Australia Day – or as the Indigenous folk prefer to call it, Invasion Day. A day when we don the shorts and singlets, stoke up the barbie and throw down a few pots singing Advance Australia Fair,
Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies out there :wine: :beer: :down_under: :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Jimbobob

North Carolina equals SWEDEN????? That is a very interestiing way to look at the numbers.
There are a great deal of Volvo's around here that is for sure..... :005: :005: :005:

"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

aconnecticutyankee

UAE and CT similar in GDP only...28" snow in my back yard and another 10-12" tomorrow, hey maybe we can export snow to the UAE.

Let's see Alabama and Nigeria... I suppose there were a few Nigerians who helped out some Alabama plantation owners a while back...