watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Sidwell's Contribution

Started by Senior Supporter, January 30, 2011, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

I should be interested to hear what other posters think of Steve Sidwell's performance today. I have to confess that I hardly noticed he was on the pitch and yet we completely dominated the central midfield, and I'm sure Danny didn't do that on his own. I didn't see Sidwell do anything wrong, and it was noticeable that, when a Spurs player was on the ball in an advanced position there were always two, or even three of our players hounding them. I suspect Sidwell was usually one of those involved. I can only conclude that he played a typical "Aaron Hughes" sort of game, quietly efficient, and making a big contribution to the overall performance.  I'd love to know what Danny thinks of him as a partner.   

Sector9

I think he will be a great signing. Today he was quiet, positioning at times was not great, and also was occasionally slow to close down people when near our box, but most the time he was right in peoples faces.

I meant to post last week about a track back he did during the liverpool match. Our defence was pulled way out of position and he spotted the early run of whoever pools player was and tracked back brilliantly to put the ball out.

HatterDon

the San Antonio Spurs basketball team has been led for the last dozen or so years by a player called Tim Duncan. He is not flashy. He has a fairly wide skill set, and he never tries to go beyond it. One of our color announcers over here calls him Groundhog Day because he makes the same economic moves over and over. You watch the team and don't really pick up what he's doing until you look at the stats the next day and realize that he dominated.

I think Sidwell and Danny are like this. They don't go all flashy and make the showy but dangerous pass. Instead they execute well consistently. And just as I'd rather have a Tim Duncan than a Kobe Bryant any day, so I'd rather have a Murphy or a Sidwell rather than any of the midfield showmen that get oohed and ahhed over.

Exhausted ... must go lay down now.  
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on January 30, 2011, 09:39:05 PM
the San Antonio Spurs basketball team has been led for the last dozen or so years by a player called Tim Duncan. He is not flashy. He has a fairly wide skill set, and he never tries to go beyond it. One of our color announcers over here calls him Groundhog Day because he makes the same economic moves over and over. You watch the team and don't really pick up what he's doing until you look at the stats the next day and realize that he dominated.

I think Sidwell and Danny are like this. They don't go all flashy and make the showy but dangerous pass. Instead they execute well consistently. And just as I'd rather have a Tim Duncan than a Kobe Bryant any day, so I'd rather have a Murphy or a Sidwell rather than any of the midfield showmen that get oohed and ahhed over.

Exhausted ... must go lay down now.  

Exactly. Tim Duncan is a team player alongside being really good. It took Kobe most of his career to play in a team.

Fulham need team players, players like Tim Duncan.

MJG

"a typical "Aaron Hughes" sort of game"
Spot on  i would say, he covered a lot of ground in midfield and let Murphy have a lot of freedom, ther were a couple of times when he had the ball I thought he could have shot or driven forward a bit more but I put that down to game plan about keeping the ball and getting it wide.
He's never going to hit the headlines but will keep a game ticking over. I see him as more of a murphy type player than Etuhu replacement but at the moment stick with things as they are.

bigalffc

He didn't do much wrong today but I didn't feel his contribution was that good either. Still early days yet and he needs to fit in. I'm hopeful he turn out to be more use than etuhu.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

finnster01

Pardon for pooping in the bed, but I need a bit more than 2 matches in a Fulham shirt before I compare Sidwell with Danny and Aaron Hughes.

He's looked decent, but you have to earn your Fulham stripes.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ffc96

I'm still not sold on Sidwell yet.  One aspect of his game that I have noticed is that he seems to have the ability to anticipate and break up the oppositions passing.  I did see him piss the ball away in the middle of the pitch too many times.  Whether he is an upgrade from Etuhu or not, I'm not sure yet.  I am fairly certain that he has a much better football mind, though.   

I really hope to see him succeed for Fulham.

Hazey

Hair looked a much more vibrant special one today, as opposed to the more subdued wet fox look against Stoke.

My mate, a massive Ranga was telling me that it will get brighter as he gets more excited/angry.  Good info to know, could save a life one day with that....

*When I first posted this g inger came up as Special One....any reason U missed on this one guru's?
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on January 30, 2011, 10:26:18 PM
Pardon for pooping in the bed, but I need a bit more than 2 matches in a Fulham shirt before I compare Sidwell with Danny and Aaron Hughes.

Fulham wear stripes? That's so 3 seasons ago!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

I agree that he hasn't played enough to make a true judgement, but for me it looks like he might be a great signing. Seems to know where to be, allowing the best passer in our side, Danny Murphy, to worry about that. Incidentally I think positioning is probably one of Etuhu's weaker areas. But early days.

PaulUMD

I'm sorry, but I think I just saw two posters compare Steve Sidwell to one of the best NBA centers of all time???  I get the point, he doesn't do anything spectacular but is effective.  But I think the Spurs player your looking for is someone like Bruce Bowen! 

The bottom line is when Murphy's partner can stay back, be in good position and be able to control the passing lanes, it frees up the skipper to pull the strings and get the ball to our attackers in good positions.  The jury is out, but the early returns are promising. 

Crede15

Not sure what to make of him yet, as far as what type of player he is.

He's not a Danny Murphy type really, I don't think he's that type of passer. And he's not really a defensive midfielder either, he seemed to be playing higher up on the pitch than Danny when we were in attack, as Danny would drop deeper to get the ball and spray it around. Possibly he could add some goals as he seems more willing to take long shots than Dickson. He also seemed to close down fairly well.

lamby

Quote from: Crede15 on January 31, 2011, 02:40:50 AM
Not sure what to make of him yet, as far as what type of player he is.

He's not a Danny Murphy type really, I don't think he's that type of passer. And he's not really a defensive midfielder either, he seemed to be playing higher up on the pitch than Danny when we were in attack, as Danny would drop deeper to get the ball and spray it around. Possibly he could add some goals as he seems more willing to take long shots than Dickson. He also seemed to close down fairly well.

I thought that about Danny Murphy when he first arrived - when we had Jimmy Bullard in the driving seat. I don't think we will see what Sidwell can do until he gets a game starting in the driving seat rather than the defensive role

jarv

Watching on tv, obviously you don't see what is happening elsewhere. When the camera focused on SS, he was pouring buckets which suggests he covered a lot of ground. The fact that spuds central midfield was non existent also suggests he was productive. Add to the fact Modric often appeared in possesion about 2 yards outside his own penalty area could be a clue as to what SS was up to.
I am sure he does whatever the captain tells him to do. Time will tell. :54:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on January 31, 2011, 12:50:47 AM
I agree that he hasn't played enough to make a true judgement, but for me it looks like he might be a great signing. Seems to know where to be, allowing the best passer in our side, Danny Murphy, to worry about that. Incidentally I think positioning is probably one of Etuhu's weaker areas. But early days.

To come into a side having barely played all season and instantly fit in (i.e. look comfortable and not do anything wrong) is all we can really ask. Hopefully when he gets settled more we might see some more lung busting runs.

If Sidwell plays well against Newcastle, it is his place to lose.

White Noise

It will be interesting to see how robust Sidwell can be when we come up against more physical opposition than Spurs and Liverpool. I always think of him as being quite a combative player but he is a fair bit smaller than Etuhu.

What do people see as being Etuhu's strengths?

Matt

Quote from: White Noise on January 31, 2011, 09:40:31 AM
It will be interesting to see how robust Sidwell can be when we come up against more physical opposition than Spurs and Liverpool. I always think of him as being quite a combative player but he is a fair bit smaller than Etuhu.

+1 He's much better with the ball though.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

sipwell

He is perhaps a fair bit smaller but also a fair bit smarter. I already prefer him over Etuhu ;-)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

BalDrick

Quote from: HatterDon on January 31, 2011, 12:42:41 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 30, 2011, 10:26:18 PM

Fulham wear stripes? That's so 3 seasons ago!

On a massive tangent but I have to say, I loved the Southampton strip - change the sash thing to black and we could have a great shirt. Well as great as it's ever going to be with that crest and a company's name on it.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town