watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well done Jaap Stam

Started by davew, May 13, 2017, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Reading's tactics were superb, totally eradicated our passing game especially from the back. For weeks I have wondered why other teams have not been able to adopt the set up that Reading did today and stop us playing. We play some great football, as do Barcelona, but if teams commit 3, 4 or even 5 players forward to stop defenses developing moves from the back, very difficult to come out with a plan B if you are not used to struggling for possession. That said I was happy with a draw, even though their goal should not have been allowed after the foul on Johansson and the obvious hand ball. Evenly poised for Tuesday!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MrD1879

Quote from: davew on May 13, 2017, 08:26:36 PM
Reading's tactics were superb, totally eradicated our passing game especially from the back. For weeks I have wondered why other teams have not been able to adopt the set up that Reading did today and stop us playing. We play some great football, as do Barcelona, but if teams commit 3, 4 or even 5 players forward to stop defenses developing moves from the back, very difficult to come out with a plan B if you are not used to struggling for possession. That said I was happy with a draw, even though their goal should not have been allowed after the foul on Johansson and the obvious hand ball. Evenly poised for Tuesday!!

While I understand there game plan was to close us down to describe there tactics which included kicking us off the pitch and wasting time as superb is a bit much.

If we had a referee with a backbone they would have has 2 in the book within 10 minutes and they wouldn't have pressurised us as much

Woolly Mammoth

It's neck and neck said the Giraffe to the Swan.
We need to increase the tempo, not enough urgency, and Betts for some reason wasted more time distributing the ball ( poorly ), than their keeper.
I hope it's the last time I watch Martin today in a Fulham Shirt,  I don't want Martin starting, he is short changing us, no effort, no work rate, and his contribution is mediocre, his application pointless, completely unfit for a pro footballer. We will get our money's worth with either Sess, Kebano or Piazon starting.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 08:48:01 PM
We need to increase the tempo, not enough urgency, and Betts for some reason wasted more time distributing the ball ( poorly ), than their keeper.
I don't watching him today, I don't want Martin starting, he is short changing us, no effort, no work rate, and his contribution is mediocre, his application pointless. We will get our money's worth with either Sess, Kebano or Piazon starting.

And of course we will win on Tuesday, we are still favourites to win promotion though not sure how the bookies arrive at that conclusion?

Ordar

Reading played exactly as all teams that had success against us this season played. Early fouls which the referee lets go, constant time wasting, and 10 men behind the ball with a big striker to win the hoofs forward. We really struggle against teams that play that way, and I fully expect them to play exactly the same way in the second leg.

From our side, I think there was a bit of an attitude issue. Seemed like they thought they just had to turn up to win. Up until their goal we were miles off the pace, far too many players had off days, and we didn't trouble their keeper basically all game. Everything was far too slow, especially Bettinelli which was driving me insane

We'll need the first goal in the second leg or we'll struggle to break them down. It's finely poised but I think we'll see today's game as an opportunity lost.

davew

Agreed Ordar, except they did commit a lot of players forward to stop us playing from the back!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on May 13, 2017, 08:50:20 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 08:48:01 PM
I don't watching him today, I don't want Martin starting, he is short changing us, no effort, no work rate, and his contribution is mediocre, his application pointless. We will get our money's worth with either Sess, Kebano or Piazon starting.

And of course we will win on Tuesday, we are still favourites to win promotion though not sure how the bookies arrive at that conclusion?

Its 1 1 at half time, we can play a lot better than today, the pressure is now on Reading, we can exploit it. No need to feel too disappointed, but we have to Up the tempo and show far more urgency from the start, and make sure we score first. ⚽️and then make sure we score second as well to make it a 2 0 score line for Mighty Fulham.

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

In December Reading came & played football with us & got spanked. Stam has learnt his lesson well. Tactics spot on. Player booked for time wasting in the first half, niggly fouls all over & total commitment to stop us playing out from the back

And to think we wanted to avoid Wednesday. Never expected Reading to be that disciplined

At half time I said I like to win but would take a draw on the premise that they would have to come out & play a bit more when they are home.

Let's hope so. It's not a given but hopefully we can exploit the little bit of extra space on Tuesday night

Simples. Winner goes to Wembley. Let's hope Aluko & Ayite pack their shooting boots. They were both wayward today

Start with Aluko, Ayite & Kebano to press them like they did to us & if necessary reinforce with Sess, Piazon & Cyraic when they tire

We have still not won a playoff fixture. Tuesday is a good time to start

1wednesday

While I understand there game plan was to close us down to describe there tactics which included kicking us off the pitch and wasting time as superb is a bit much.

If we had a referee with a backbone they would have has 2 in the book within 10 minutes and they wouldn't have pressurised us as much
[/quote]

Hardly kicked you of the park mate!

The amatuer dramatics from you lot should get them all rada passes no problem, especially fredericks and hutton. They should be up for oscars.

However agree ref was very lenient, both ways!. How did Hutton not get booked for the blatant pull.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC73 on May 13, 2017, 08:57:43 PM

In December Reading came & played football with us & got spanked. Stam has learnt his lesson well. Tactics spot on. Player booked for time wasting in the first half, niggly fouls all over & total commitment to stop us playing out from the back

And to think we wanted to avoid Wednesday. Never expected Reading to be that disciplined

At half time I said I like to win but would take a draw on the premise that they would have to come out & play a bit more when they are home.

Let's hope so. It's not a given but hopefully we can exploit the little bit of extra space on Tuesday night

Simples. Winner goes to Wembley. Let's hope Aluko & Ayite pack their shooting boots. They were both wayward today

Start with Aluko, Ayite & Kebano to press them like they did to us & if necessary reinforce with Sess, Piazon & Cyraic when they tire

We have still not won a playoff fixture. Tuesday is a good time to start

I'd start with sess, they are very weak down their right hand side, and for the majority of the game, malone had no one down the line to play to. See hugs that touch line perfectly and the two could destroy them
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ffc73

Ben. Yep. Any 3 from Ayite, Aluko, Kabano or Sess to start. Whoever is on the bench is more than adequate to come on & carry on in the same vein

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC73 on May 13, 2017, 09:11:08 PM
Ben. Yep. Any 3 from Ayite, Aluko, Kabano or Sess to start. Whoever is on the bench is more than adequate to come on & carry on in the same vein
yes, just wouldn't have ayite on the left. Time and time again he just wasn't there as an outlet for malone. Think he has got a taste for playing central if you ask me.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MrD1879

Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

The amatuer dramatics from you lot should get them all rada passes no problem, especially fredericks and hutton. They should be up for oscars.

However agree ref was very lenient, both ways!. How did Hutton not get booked for the blatant pull.
[/quote]

Your mob are exactly the same fingers crossed if we don't make it it won't be you either. Shame you didn't draw each other could have watched you two kick lumps out of each other for 180 minutes

1wednesday

Quote from: MrD1879 on May 13, 2017, 09:16:51 PM
Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

Your mob are exactly the same fingers crossed if we don't make it it won't be you either. Shame you didn't draw each other could have watched you two kick lumps out of each other for 180 minutes
[/quote]
Truth is mate no one  is going to play an open game and allow your Barcelona esq team flourish , football is not just about pretty football, some times you have to stop teams playing, reading did a job on you and it's obviously hurting, but let that get in the way of a good sob story.

jarv

well done stam? The man is a thug, his team today were thugs. Total anti football in my opinion. We can only hope they get spanked on Tuesday.

Woolly Mammoth

Reading did do a job on us, now Fulham have to make sure we do a job on them, and we are one of a small handful of teams that can do that on Tuesday at their souless bowl, they are there for the taking, but we have to earn it. We can play so much better, but can they, I am not sure they can, the pressure is on them now, not us, I cannot see them handling it, or Fulham if we increase our tempo and urgency, it wouldn't surprise me if they got another player sent off in the second leg, as when we are firing on all cylinders, there are very few teams, if any in this Division that can handle us.

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: jarv on May 13, 2017, 09:30:24 PM
well done stam? The man is a thug, his team today were thugs. Total anti football in my opinion. We can only hope they get spanked on Tuesday.
Can't entirely agree with that, "thugs" is a way over the top description, we have played (and lost) to far worse footballing teams this season who have tried to kick us off the pitch! We are all feeling disappointed, but I feel no need to change the topic heading, well done Stam!!

1wednesday

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 09:36:28 PM
Reading did do a job on us, now Fulham have to make sure we do a job on them, and we are one of a small handful of teams that can do that on Tuesday at their souless bowl, they are there for the taking, but we have to earn it. We can play so much better, but can they, I am not sure they can, the pressure is on them now, not us, I cannot see them handling it, or Fulham if we increase our tempo and urgency, it wouldn't surprise me if they got another player sent off in the second leg, as when we are firing in all cylinders, there are few teams in this Division that can handle us.
Have to agree with most of that, think they will play the same way though and hope to nick it, they won't take you on head to head although I don't think it was the anti football some on here are raging about.they  stopped you creating much, you normally create 20 or 30 plus shots in a game so they will be very pleased with the outcome today expect more of the same.

Although I think you will do better at their place, I think it will be difficult to contain you over two legs.

ScalleysDad

It is always frustrating when a topic takes a turn for the worse. Yes Reading were robust but we are often prone to looking for the foul rather than looking for the answer. Stam was sharper than JOka on the day and prepared his team to stifle Johansen, Cairney and the flanks. What's wrong about just accepting Stam did a better job than JOka. We should be more concerned about the latters inability to get us at 100% for such a game and why the shooting practice sessions have not worked out very well. It is, as people have said, only half time but plenty to do in the next couple of days.

davew

Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 13, 2017, 09:48:19 PM
It is always frustrating when a topic takes a turn for the worse. Yes Reading were robust but we are often prone to looking for the foul rather than looking for the answer. Stam was sharper than JOka on the day and prepared his team to stifle Johansen, Cairney and the flanks. What's wrong about just accepting Stam did a better job than JOka. We should be more concerned about the latters inability to get us at 100% for such a game and why the shooting practice sessions have not worked out very well. It is, as people have said, only half time but plenty to do in the next couple of days.
Which in a few words agrees with my thread topic and opinion!! Why we have to diversify and point fingers, well I suppose it is because it is a forum!!