watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New Striker

Started by Peabody, October 24, 2023, 07:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deuce

Quote from: alfie on October 25, 2023, 05:02:06 PMMoney down the drain is always a risk, you get a layer in but until they actually play you don't know how they will perform, that's why loans are good as you can get rid of them.
You wont be able to get a quality striker on loan.

And yes, there is always a risk of a big money signing not showing up. But with good scouting that risk is reduced quite a lot.
Raul was a cheap gamble that didnt pay off, and instead of the club sorting out a striker from the start - we are now dealing with the consequences of that decision

Id rather we spend

toshes mate

I think the crucial thought process that has been almost entirely absent since Rigg left is the ability to produce options in the critical positions football presents. Even a two year old sticking a pin blindly will nail the donkey's tail where it is supposed to be once in a while but good recruiters just make it look so easy.

Since recruiters all work from the same database with the same data then there has to be a human element to make the difference. I don't see much evidence of teamwork in recruitment esepcially when there is bound to be many options available to players. Mitrovic fell into our lap and what do we do with the success he gifted us, we flog him just before the window closes. That seems brainless to me.

But at least Marco like the security of a new contract just in case things to awry (as they well might) over the next eight months or so, although I doubt Khan Senior will want him gone regardless. 

But can the upper echelons sort out recruitment properly please because some of nearest rivals do it ever so much better than we do.  Oh yes and you should never have let Mitro go - just what were you thinking?

LittleErn

How about McTominay? He would give us the physical presence in the box that we currently lack. I know he's not considered to be a striker but he has scored some good goals recently. 🪁

nina_067

Quote from: alfie on October 25, 2023, 05:02:06 PMMoney down the drain is always a risk, you get a layer in but until they actually play you don't know how they will perform, that's why loans are good as you can get rid of them.
agree, the money we got from selling mitro is probably being used to pay our debts. in jan it'd be nice to loan a striker from a well-performing european club, but i think its gonna be really difficult to build on last years success tbh

Somerset Fulham

There was nothing that the club could do to hold on to The Mercenary and we simply got very lucky with Palhinha that Bayern came in so late for him. Had it been two days earlier then Palhinha would now be gone too.

Additionally, Jiminez was never bought in as a replacement for The Mercenary, he was a back up to him.

Of course there is something amiss up front at the moment and a better centre forward would be more than handy, but I also have an inkling that Marco isn't entirely sure how to deploy the talent he has to chose from and that is stifling creativity somewhat.

copthornemike

Quote from: Lordedmundo on October 25, 2023, 08:35:25 AM
Quote from: jayffc on October 24, 2023, 10:40:45 PMLooks Like Gift Orbans valuation might be significantly lower than previous this January. Could be worth a punt, struggling for form so far this year. If he could be picked up for 15m-20 wouldn't mind bringing him in and moving on Muniz permanently or on loan if he's not getting game time.

Meanwhile Guerrasy continues to score in the Bundesliga and will surely be out of reach if we went back with another offer.

Of all the strikers we have been linked with - Gift Orban looks by far the best when you watch his YouTube goals/highlights.  His goals to games ratio is great as well when you look at his stats, even though his form seems to have has dropped off a bit recently. Different type of player to Mitro - but if he scores goals, who cares!

The fact that we already have three Nigerian's in the squad would also help persuade him to join us you would imagine...

Agreed on Guirassy.
African Cup of Nations might be a problem every season!

Twig

Quote from: nina_067 on October 26, 2023, 06:19:21 PM
agree, the money we got from selling mitro is probably being used to pay our debts. in jan it'd be nice to loan a striker from a well-performing european club, but i think its gonna be really difficult to build on last years success tbh

No club is likely to release a proven, quality striker on loan mid season. I just don't see that happening. We're more likely to end up with yet another bang average striker to add to our current triumvirate.

davew

Quote from: Twig on October 26, 2023, 07:14:17 PM
Quote from: nina_067 on October 26, 2023, 06:19:21 PM

No club is likely to release a proven, quality striker on loan mid season. I just don't see that happening. We're more likely to end up with yet another bang average striker to add to our current triumvirate.
Where are Knockaert and Cavaleiro when you need them?  ::wine::
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Willham

Quote from: ffc73 on October 25, 2023, 12:55:32 PMJanuary strikers, a Mitrovic rather than a Mitroglou please...

I quite recently found out that mitroglou was pretty good after leaving us, we are basically like a little blip in a otherwise prolific career. Sure wiki supports this too.

Nero

If Everton get deducted 12 points and are struggling and need money a low bid in for Calvert-Lewin, not a great goalscoring record but reckon Silva could make him

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Nero on October 26, 2023, 09:21:33 PMIf Everton get deducted 12 points and are struggling and need money a low bid in for Calvert-Lewin, not a great goalscoring record but reckon Silva could make him
Good striker when fit.
But has been very injury prone last two seasons.

LC

Quote from: jayffc on October 24, 2023, 10:40:45 PMLooks Like Gift Orbans valuation might be significantly lower than previous this January. Could be worth a punt, struggling for form so far this year. If he could be picked up for 15m-20 wouldn't mind bringing him in and moving on Muniz permanently or on loan if he's not getting game time.

Meanwhile Guerrasy continues to score in the Bundesliga and will surely be out of reach if we went back with another offer.

I'm not so sure, we continued to get linked with Guirassy, I think we might come in for him

The Rational Fan

Only Six Players in Five positions (GK, RB, LB, DM and LW) have better significant better statistics than Vinicius and Jiménez, so why is the centre forward position being singled out? We currently have six weak positions filled by players (Diop, Ream, Reed, Periera, Wilson and Vinicius) that each aren't playing in their first nine games as well as they did last season. Each squad player has 11 games to cement their place in the starting XI or we should consider upgrading them.

Hopefully some of our players will return to last seasons form before the winter transfer window; but for the positions that don't improve before the transfer window our budget can probably upgrade either "one centre forward" or "any two other positions". If its possible, I would prefer two upgrades elsewhere maybe centre back and centre midfield to build our spine, than our than spend all our money on one striker.

LC

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 27, 2023, 12:30:25 AMOnly Six Players in Five positions (GK, RB, LB, DM and LW) have better significant better statistics than Vinicius and Jiménez, so why is the centre forward position being singled out? We currently have six weak positions filled by players (Diop, Ream, Reed, Periera, Wilson and Vinicius) that each aren't playing in their first nine games as well as they did last season. Each squad player has 11 games to cement their place in the starting XI or we should consider upgrading them.

Hopefully some of our players will return to last seasons form before the winter transfer window; but for the positions that don't improve before the transfer window our budget can probably upgrade either "one centre forward" or "any two other positions". If its possible, I would prefer two upgrades elsewhere maybe centre back and centre midfield to build our spine, than our than spend all our money on one striker.

You can't win games if you don't score. Bringing in a forward is vital for us. Mitrovic transformed how we played, he was an outlet for our defence if needed and scored goals- we need a replacement

ianthailand

Quote from: Nero on October 26, 2023, 09:21:33 PMIf Everton get deducted 12 points and are struggling and need money a low bid in for Calvert-Lewin, not a great goalscoring record but reckon Silva could make him
On the treatment table more than the pitch.

..FOF..

Quote from: hovewhite on October 25, 2023, 12:13:52 PMJanuary window trying to sign a striker I'm not holding my breath.

First, one or two current strikers need to be let go, and recalling Jay is a no-brainer.

None of the management should be taking a holiday in December in order to ensure a successful outcome for this transfer window.

hovewhite

Quote from: ..FOF.. on October 27, 2023, 01:55:02 AM
Quote from: hovewhite on October 25, 2023, 12:13:52 PMJanuary window trying to sign a striker I'm not holding my breath.

First, one or two current strikers need to be let go, and recalling Jay is a no-brainer.

None of the management should be taking a holiday in December in order to ensure a successful outcome for this transfer window.
FOF this is an SOS to a striker that can come in and make an impact.

Cobh Fulham Fan

There are three repeated themes coming through on this Striker thread.  One - seems to be suggest we could maybe pick up a half decent but average striker (many names suggested) who Silva could use his magic on and make great. Well, if thats the case why hasn't that magic worked on the three current strikers we have?

Two - there seems to be a divide in views between what we can and should spend on a good replacement to come somewhere near matching Mitro's goal scoring numbers. Some suggesting it might be too risky spending big money (Mitro money) if that new striker didn't work out. But surely the bigger question should be, can we afford not to spend £40million or £50 million on such a replacement?  we already tried the cheap band aid solution that has us where we are now.

three - Mitro, Mitro, Mitro, people just simply cant let him go on here.  Lets not forgot Mitro was absent for more than eight games last season and we still motored on and won games without him - probably because everyone else was on song and their heads were in a good team spirit place. Our problem now, is because we are still in need of a striker, we are left with the yard-stick of Mitro to compare and measure the quality of others in the market.  But has anyone considered yet that there is no other Mitros out there and as soon as we stop thinking Mitro and settle for second best, maybe then we can get our season back on track. Spend £40 million on the best thats available and if he can score only half the goals that Mitro had, then we'll still have a top half finish this season.

We really need to release the ghost of Mitro past from these pages!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on October 27, 2023, 07:16:54 AMThere are three repeated themes coming through on this Striker thread.  One - seems to be suggest we could maybe pick up a half decent but average striker (many names suggested) who Silva could use his magic on and make great. Well, if thats the case why hasn't that magic worked on the three current strikers we have?

Two - there seems to be a divide in views between what we can and should spend on a good replacement to come somewhere near matching Mitro's goal scoring numbers. Some suggesting it might be too risky spending big money (Mitro money) if that new striker didn't work out. But surely the bigger question should be, can we afford not to spend £40million or £50 million on such a replacement?  we already tried the cheap band aid solution that has us where we are now.

three - Mitro, Mitro, Mitro, people just simply cant let him go on here.  Lets not forgot Mitro was absent for more than eight games last season and we still motored on and won games without him - probably because everyone else was on song and their heads were in a good team spirit place. Our problem now, is because we are still in need of a striker, we are left with the yard-stick of Mitro to compare and measure the quality of others in the market.  But has anyone considered yet that there is no other Mitros out there and as soon as we stop thinking Mitro and settle for second best, maybe then we can get our season back on track. Spend £40 million on the best thats available and if he can score only half the goals that Mitro had, then we'll still have a top half finish this season.

We really need to release the ghost of Mitro past from these pages!

An alternative solution is improve with the budget we have i) the defence so we need to score less goals, ii) improve the players around the centre forward to score more goals and iii) improve the service to the centre forward to provide more chances which will lead to more goals.